PDA

View Full Version : DC PSO On This Gen Consoles?

kevlar_pso
Sep 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
Exciting news coming soon!! Keep your eye on the front page! (=^]

RizaHawkeye
Sep 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
wat

I just bought this for GC on ebay...

Mike
Sep 28, 2009, 08:35 PM
Wouldn't it be faster to just post whatever info you have now?

the_importer_
Sep 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
We do have PSO in this Generation, it's Phantasy Star Zero

Mike
Sep 28, 2009, 11:17 PM
We do have PSO in this Generation, it's Phantasy Star Zero
Except it's not PSO. It's similar, but PSO it isn't.

the_importer_
Sep 28, 2009, 11:18 PM
Except it's not PSO. It's similar, but PSO it isn't.

Pretty sure SEGA once stated that it's a new PSO installment (although not a sequel or prequel).

Mike
Sep 28, 2009, 11:24 PM
It falls into the category of sequel in relation to the previous games (I'm serious about this being a spoiler, if you don't want to know, don't look), but it's not the PSO that everyone is used to. But this is getting in to a different category. If the OP were talking about PS0, then this would be likely be in the PS0 section of the game.

the_importer_
Sep 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
...but it's not the PSO that everyone is used to.

Neither was V3 when it came out, a lot of changes were made, but it was still PSO.

Mike
Sep 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Neither was V3 when it came out, a lot of changes were made, but it was still PSO.
Would that be GC / XBOX PSO? I only know DC version 2 by it's version number.

Edit: Anyways, like I said before, if this were about PS0, then I would assume it would be in the PS0 forum. This is in the PSO forum which means it's likely something about classic PSO. Which brings me back to my point of why the op couldn't have just posted any information he might have had straight off the bat in the first place.

the_importer_
Sep 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
Would that be GC / XBOX PSO? I only know DC version 2 by it's version number.

Edit: Anyways, like I said before, if this were about PS0, then I would assume it would be in the PS0 forum. This is in the PSO forum which means it's likely something about classic PSO. Which brings me back to my point of why the op couldn't have just posted any information he might have had straight off the bat in the first place.

Yup, EP I & II is considered to be V3.

Anyway, ever heard the expression "If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck"? It may be called PS Zero, but it draws pretty much everything from PSO (unlike PSU), making it a PSO game in my book.

cApNhOwDy
Sep 29, 2009, 11:19 AM

+1, seriously.

Jaspaller
Sep 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
+2 to this

ViewtifulJoe
Sep 29, 2009, 04:03 PM

+3 with a side of trolling

r00tabaga
Sep 29, 2009, 04:03 PM
make that +4...got my attention though!

r00tabaga
Sep 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
I've always felt that SEGA should bring a classic version of PSO to a system like the Wii and get great use of the motion controls and continue on with PSU for PS3 and 360. Oh, if I only lived in a perfect world!!!

Nitro Vordex
Sep 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
No sources, no links, just a teaser and a really ugly smiley.

Don't mess with PSO people. That's a horrible mistake.

Mike
Sep 29, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yup, EP I & II is considered to be V3.
I think I recall hearing BB be called version 4 as well, but I don't remember. However PS0 is far from being a new version of PSO. It's been completely redone. And not just like an addition of stories, items, animations, and system updates to a game that currently exisits, but a new imagining.

PS0 quacks, sure, but it quacks like the Aflac duck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j15ZDcXz3Ds) :D

Edit: Now, getting back on subject, where's this new info?

Freeze
Sep 29, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think Kevlar is still in shock over the sudden shut down of the PSOX servers.

Yes it was shocking my friend but most of us have gotten over it and moved on, perhaps a little therapy hmmm.

the_importer_
Sep 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
I think I recall hearing BB be called version 4 as well, but I don't remember. However PS0 is far from being a new version of PSO. It's been completely redone. And not just like an addition of stories, items, animations, and system updates to a game that currently exisits, but a new imagining.

PS0 quacks, sure, but it quacks like the Aflac duck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j15ZDcXz3Ds) :D

Edit: Now, getting back on subject, where's this new info?

Holy shit, they got Alfac in Japan !!!!

hunterseifer
Oct 2, 2009, 01:35 AM
idk about everyone else, but when I saw the PSZ on DS I dont see a similarity to PSO, it looked more like psu than pso imo. The game looked to kitty, I dont remember pso being kitty either

the_importer_
Oct 2, 2009, 06:06 AM
...but when I saw the PSZ on DS....

Should I assume that you haven't played it?

DC_PLAYER
Oct 2, 2009, 07:20 AM
http://www.tssznews.com/2009/08/13/dreamcast-games-coming-to-current-gen-consoles/

that?

Mike
Oct 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
http://www.tssznews.com/2009/08/13/dreamcast-games-coming-to-current-gen-consoles/

that?
This and that oddly worded Sega-Sony document were the first things that came to my mind but I thought those were both old news.

GUN
Oct 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
I can imagine them porting across some Sonic titles etc - but PSO,... frankly, what with the nightmare of setting up or dusting off old servers just cannot see it somehow.

And if they don't bring it back with online functionality, what is the point?

On another note, did not realise that PSO Xbox servers had been canned , does that mean you cannot play Xbox PSO at all?

DC_PLAYER
Oct 2, 2009, 08:46 AM
you do realise pso on the dreamcast can be played offline right?

GUN
Oct 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
you do realise pso on the dreamcast can be played offline right?

Yes of course, but as in the title of the game 'online' it would seem a bit pointless not to mention 'trades description act' if they brought it back out without online?. However, I was thinking of buying a cheap copy of the Xbox version when I saw the earlier poster talking about the demise of PSOx - I take it that PSO on x-box is unplayable now as it was online only from memory?

kevlar_pso
Oct 2, 2009, 01:57 PM
I heard on a recent episode of 1UP Yours news of SONY seeking exclusive rights to offer DC games for download on PSN. Sorry for the tease, but I was hoping to have the news I submitted posted to the front page.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/1UPYours/LUP092309.mp3

You can hear David Ellis mention his source at the 39:15 mark.

I am guessing that my news was not posted because the last news I submitted was a rumor and the admins/mods don't trust me with my sources? Which is understandable.

cApNhOwDy
Oct 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
I dont hear anything about Phantasy Star Online, only downloading Dreamcast games in general. This probably wont include PSO, which required a serial number and access key. What's more likely is a port of PSO:BB. What's even more likely is that Sega will continue focusing on their proven success with Phantasy Star Portable.

DC_PLAYER
Oct 2, 2009, 03:17 PM
PSO BB was already a port of pso xbox basicly, they just added some stuff and removed some worthless things like voice chat.

PSO ver.2 may include a snak, i don't see why not.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
Sony getting exclusive rights? Oh hell no. I'd be royally pissed.

kevlar_pso
Oct 3, 2009, 06:33 PM
I dont hear anything about Phantasy Star Online, only downloading Dreamcast games in general. This probably wont include PSO, which required a serial number and access key. What's more likely is a port of PSO:BB. What's even more likely is that Sega will continue focusing on their proven success with Phantasy Star Portable.

Which is why I phrased the title of my thread as a question.

Are you going to U of Mich. by any chance?

cApNhOwDy
Oct 5, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yes I am.

Freeze
Oct 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yes of course, but as in the title of the game 'online' it would seem a bit pointless not to mention 'trades description act' if they brought it back out without online?. However, I was thinking of buying a cheap copy of the Xbox version when I saw the earlier poster talking about the demise of PSOx - I take it that PSO on x-box is unplayable now as it was online only from memory?

I'm surprised nobody clarified this. PSOX does have off line mode so even though there are no servers it is still playable. The only catch is you need to have a GT. It doesn't have to be currently active but it did have to be at one point.

kevlar_pso
Oct 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
Yes I am.

My wife's cousin is at U of Mich. on a scholarship to get her masters degree. She recently finished up a tour with the Peace Corps in the South Pacific. I can't recall what her degree program is. What's your major?

GUN
Oct 6, 2009, 08:01 AM
I'm surprised nobody clarified this. PSOX does have off line mode so even though there are no servers it is still playable. The only catch is you need to have a GT. It doesn't have to be currently active but it did have to be at one point.

Thank you Freeze, appreciate the clarification - have bought a copy off Ebay (PSOx) which hopefully will be here soon. Sorry, just one more question, on the Xbox version, does it have a widescreen mode? That is one of the main reasons for me getting it as the GC version stretches the picture quite badly on my flatscreen and I hate playing it on this screen on 4:3 aspect.

LG :)

Freeze
Oct 6, 2009, 11:00 AM
As long as your Xbox consol setting is set to wide screen you'll be fine.

cApNhOwDy
Oct 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
My wife's cousin is at U of Mich. on a scholarship to get her masters degree. She recently finished up a tour with the Peace Corps in the South Pacific. I can't recall what her degree program is. What's your major?

Brain, Behavior & Cognitive Science

Zimbabwe
Oct 6, 2009, 09:42 PM
Everyone and I mean ABSOLUTELY FUCKING EVERYONE knows that PSO is a perfect match for Xbox Live Arcade as a 1200 ms point download ($15). It would be an enormous success, even bigger if you didn't have to pay a monthly fee. But if it did require a monthly fee you should have the option to charge a credit card or use MS points to buy months.

C'mon Sega this isn't Rocket Science!!

Zimbabwe
Oct 6, 2009, 09:48 PM
PSO BB was already a port of pso xbox basicly, they just added some stuff and removed some worthless things like voice chat.

How is removing voice chat worthless?
Sorry you don't want everyone to hear your geeky voice because you can be a badass behind a keyboard.

DC_PLAYER
Oct 7, 2009, 05:31 AM
Voice chat is a waste, it's more info to be sent and they optimized pso bb by removing it, this way the server doesn't have to deal with that info and can focus more on the other aspects.
That and you don't have to hear girl voices that come out of male players.

This is confirmed because in the textures of PSO BB we see lot's of PSO XBOX textures, including the voice chat option on char creation, however sega only kept the essential.

Pso ver.2 is also a optimization of pso ver.1, they removed some shifta and deband effects and reduced enemy frame rate to make the game have less slowdowns in team play.

Zimbabwe
Oct 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
Voice chat is a waste, it's more info to be sent and they optimized pso bb by removing it, this way the server doesn't have to deal with that info and can focus more on the other aspects.
That and you don't have to hear girl voices that come out of male players.

This is confirmed because in the textures of PSO BB we see lot's of PSO XBOX textures, including the voice chat option on char creation, however sega only kept the essential.

Pso ver.2 is also a optimization of pso ver.1, they removed some shifta and deband effects and reduced enemy frame rate to make the game have less slowdowns in team play.

Seeing the GC not able to handle voice chat while running PSO off the servers makes sense.

But I find it hard to believe that a console like the original Xbox couldn't handle voice chat while still running PSO at a decent frame rate. Perhaps Sega did a sloppy job porting PSO to the Xbox. Because if what you say about the Xbox version is true, then that's pretty sad compared to other games on the Xbox and what they've achieved on a technical level with graphics and size while still allowing voice chat at no significant cost.
Or is it that you just dislike voice chat because all the games you play online allow you to communicate with a keyboard rather than a microphone.

DC_PLAYER
Oct 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
It's not the frame rate that is affected, it's the amount of info that needs to be sent to the server, removing voice chat wastes less internet band (not sure if it's the right term)

kevlar_pso
Oct 9, 2009, 01:41 AM
It's not the frame rate that is affected, it's the amount of info that needs to be sent to the server, removing voice chat wastes less internet band (not sure if it's the right term)

You can make a point about voice chat being a waste of bandwidth, that is fine. What you are not considering is the waste of time over the course of say a Challenge Mode game where you have to wait for some one to eek out a sentence of how many monomates they need before the next room. I will take a waste of bandwidth over a waste of my Challenge Mode time, or my regular time for that matter.

I hold the Xbox version higher than the other console versions because of voice chat. I suppose you never played the Xbox version so you are speaking in strictly a technical manner as opposed to first hand knowledge and experience. Because of voice chat I had a better rapport with the people on my friends list. A better connection with Undertovv, Feba, Jaspaller, Dark Redrum 007, KMP Inc, HNIC, Yummy, TroopsOfDoom, KellyzBlkRose (& her hubby l0l), Dabroncofan86, EleventhAsh, DJDAR67, Viper, Freeze (even though we only managed to cross paths a few times l0l), BaLDyOnEnUT, Shigecki, Corrosion, SegaSpyder, Liquid Bacon, Link007, C Lemon, AnotherIcedOUT, Greaseman, Mad One, Kitsune 23, Kasumi 19, DaMan001, MOE X, Enryuu Shinobi, Shi Kyuuketsuki, Tangzilla, & Zos 1396 than I would have had if I only used my keyboard on PSO-X and not my mic.

Whenever I get back to BB if people are not using skype or vent or something then PSO will not be the same for me.

kevlar_pso
Oct 9, 2009, 01:46 AM
Seeing the GC not able to handle voice chat while running PSO off the servers makes sense.

But I find it hard to believe that a console like the original Xbox couldn't handle voice chat while still running PSO at a decent frame rate. Perhaps Sega did a sloppy job porting PSO to the Xbox. Because if what you say about the Xbox version is true, then that's pretty sad compared to other games on the Xbox and what they've achieved on a technical level with graphics and size while still allowing voice chat at no significant cost.
Or is it that you just dislike voice chat because all the games you play online allow you to communicate with a keyboard rather than a microphone.

It's not that they did a sloppy job with the port. PSO-X was one of the first games you could play on Xbox Live with voice chat. People have a hard time remembering that far back, but that was the case. For a while PSO came bundled with the Xbox Live starter kit. Also, the "regular Xbox" uses more bandwidth for chatting than the Xbox 360 does.

kevlar_pso
Oct 9, 2009, 01:49 AM
As long as your Xbox consol setting is set to wide screen you'll be fine.

You know, whatever reason, I never thought to set my Xbox's configuration to widescreen for PSO. I never had a problem with, say The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction's widescreen settings. That turned out just fine. Isn't PSO set for 4:3? Wouldn't it stretch the picture to 16:9?

DC_PLAYER
Oct 9, 2009, 07:11 AM
Dreamcast + vga box = amazing graphics (widescreen)

PSO BB and pso PC ver.2 can be ajusted to widescreen, however resolution of pso pc remains the same as it is a port of pso dreamcast.

The voice chat was good, but on pso bb they simply used what they tought it was essential and that wasn't.
Shortcuts(including simbol chat), word select and a fast comunication with the chat feature was enough

Tw1sTa
Oct 9, 2009, 05:11 PM
I hope you guys didn't take my one post to an older thread wrong :-o

Well maybe Xbox Live could make PSO downloadable in the Arcade Classics for 1600MS points
or they Make a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PC version with Updated graphics and a few expansion worlds/mags/weapons/and add the character creation like PSU
But entire game is PSO with shinny-er-er style ^^
its here
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169494

Freeze
Oct 9, 2009, 05:58 PM
You know, whatever reason, I never thought to set my Xbox's configuration to widescreen for PSO. I never had a problem with, say The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction's widescreen settings. That turned out just fine. Isn't PSO set for 4:3? Wouldn't it stretch the picture to 16:9?

Quite true PSO is set for 4:3, I'm not sure what the system does for that when it's set on 16:9, all I do know is I ran mine on wide screen the entire time and PSO wasn't stretched at all.

kevlar_pso
Oct 10, 2009, 03:34 AM
Quite true PSO is set for 4:3, I'm not sure what the system does for that when it's set on 16:9, all I do know is I ran mine on wide screen the entire time and PSO wasn't stretched at all.

I will have to make time to see if I can get that to work.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Oct 10, 2009, 04:46 PM

wait so psox had ep4?

DC_PLAYER
Oct 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
PSO BB had originaly only ep1&2 (like pso xbox), it used the same textures, shadows, animations.....

PSO BB was different yes, it was server sided but the essential was taken out of pso xbox, then a update apeared for pso bb wich has the weapons you see now and the new episode called ep4.

kevlar_pso
Oct 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
wait so psox had ep4?

No, PSO-X had voice chat. Episode 4 was added for Blue Burst.

Freeze
Oct 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
I miss the voice chat when I'm on BB, it made coordinating with teammates so much easier.

kevlar_pso
Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
I suppose if I ever got around to connecting to BB we could just use Xbox Live.

Zeek123
Oct 28, 2009, 05:38 PM
I was just thinking about starting a thread and asking if people would like to see Dreamcast games on the PSN or XBLA, but I noticed this thread eventally got on track... till you got it off track again with the voice chat and widescreen talk :p

But anyway, I think PSO would be a great match for the PSN. Not for $15 bucks though. $9.99 and I'm in. I wouldn't care if XBLA got it as well, but I honestly feel quite bad for you guys having to pay for your online connectivity. I couldn't bring myself to buy a down loadable version of PSO if I had to PAY to play onine when it has so many years on it.

They shouldn't have to dust off the servers for it in my opinion, just let Sony or Mircro$oft take care of it.

kevlar_pso
Oct 29, 2009, 02:12 AM
I was just thinking about starting a thread and asking if people would like to see Dreamcast games on the PSN or XBLA, but I noticed this thread eventally got on track... till you got it off track again with the voice chat and widescreen talk :p

But anyway, I think PSO would be a great match for the PSN. Not for $15 bucks though. $9.99 and I'm in. I wouldn't care if XBLA got it as well, but I honestly feel quite bad for you guys having to pay for your online connectivity. I couldn't bring myself to buy a down loadable version of PSO if I had to PAY to play onine when it has so many years on it.

They shouldn't have to dust off the servers for it in my opinion, just let Sony or Mircro$oft take care of it.

I would pay $15 for PSO on PSN. I would pay $20 without batting an eyelash. That would actually be a system seller for me. l0l Even if I had to pay $5 a month I would still gladly do so. As long as we could have voice chat with a bluetooth headset.

Zeek123
Nov 1, 2009, 07:49 PM
You'd pay almost a hundred dollars for a year's worth of play for a game that is as old as PSO?

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I cringe at the thought of dropping that much for recycled code.

kevlar_pso
Nov 2, 2009, 03:34 AM
You'd pay almost a hundred dollars for a year's worth of play for a game that is as old as PSO?

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I cringe at the thought of dropping that much for recycled code.

Why are you here? This is Phantasy Star Online World the world's largest phantasy star community a.k.a. PSOWorld. I paid for xbox live and a hunter's license on the REGULAR xbox for nearly five years! This is a fan site. Fan is short for fanatic.

Maybe you are cheap, or maybe I'm cheaper than you are. I am sure I saved far more $$$ not buying games while I played PSO than I would have otherwise.

As far as recycled code goes you are making yourself out to be a graphics whore. Last I checked it is not graphics that reign supreme but gameplay. If a game is fun it will be fun years from now. If a game is pretty now, it will look dated once the next generation of consoles comes around. This is how games stand the test of time.