PDA

View Full Version : Super Street Fighter IV

Cracka_J
Sep 29, 2009, 08:34 AM
Just in case you prefer to live under a rock during TGS, the sequel/update to arguably the most successful fighter of 2009 has been announced.

http://tgs.gamespot.com/story/6230625/super-street-fighter-iv-impressions-first-look?tag=topslot;thumb;1

Slated for spring 2010 release, 8 new chars, and revamped engine/mechanics. Should be good times :P

Volcompat321
Sep 29, 2009, 09:13 AM
Interesting.
I suck at fighting games, but I've always been a fan of Street Fighter.
I'll probably give it a try.

Kent
Sep 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
At least it's not another Street Fighter II.

IV is the new II.

Outrider
Sep 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
But - no DLC option for those who bought the game? Really?

Hey, it doesn't matter to me as I never bought the initial version and can simply pick up this discounted update, but still - I imagine there are some people who are pretty upset about this.

Dhylec
Sep 29, 2009, 11:40 AM
I think I'll pick this up when it's out. Haven't been playing any SF games for so long, I kinda miss the actions.

Cracka_J
Sep 29, 2009, 11:58 AM

There are quite a few minor game mechanics that need to be fixed...priority special mashing during blockstun & auto turnaround time during crossups...just to name 2.

Hopefully these are the things they discussed when ono was talking about certain changes that could not be implemented to the current system. If they are, nobody in the sf community will be complaining about the $$.

I just wish they could put out a multi-dvd/bluray package so people who play on both 360/ps3 wouldn't have to buy the game 2x over...so hopefully the game is $30 so I'll only have to pay the price of 1 full price game :-D

amtalx
Sep 29, 2009, 12:37 PM
I just wish they could put out a multi-dvd/bluray package so people who play on both 360/ps3 wouldn't have to buy the game 2x over...so hopefully the game is $30 so I'll only have to pay the price of 1 full price game :-D

Dogs and cats living together? That's crazy talk!

Kent
Sep 29, 2009, 01:20 PM

Hey, it doesn't matter to me as I never bought the initial version and can simply pick up this discounted update, but still - I imagine there are some people who are pretty upset about this.
Well, they did say that the game would be sold at a price point that's lower than the full price of a new game. Just going to guess it'll retail at $30~40.

Though I do have the original, I also only paid $15 for it new, so I'm not complaining that much. I imagine it would be kind of a pain to try and patch all of this stuff into a game that's still being run from the disc, unless they were to do something like... Making hard drive installs mandatory, and then patching that file - but that's probably not a great idea.

Jaspaller
Sep 29, 2009, 03:47 PM
No DLC option? Do not want. Never was a fan of T.Hawk in the original either.

watashiwa
Sep 29, 2009, 03:52 PM
No DLC option? Do not want. Never was a fan of T.Hawk in the original either.

But you're a fan of quicksand, trees, and rape... That shows a lot about your taste in things!

Anyway, the update is more than just "T.Hawk", there's at least 8 characters added to the Roster, Gameplay Tweaks, revised Lobby (hoping it's similar to BlazBlue, SSF2THDR or MVC2 lobbies), and probably a lot more unannounced stuff.

I think it's more than worth the reduced price to buy it.

Tetsaru
Sep 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
Ehh, I wanna know what the other 6 "new" characters are going to be. If that's all Super Street Fighter 4 is going to be compared to the first one, then making it a completely new disc doesn't fit well with me at all. I never enjoyed playing as lol Tony Hawk (I know it's Thunder Hawk) in the older games, and the new Juri character looks like a Waluigi version of Chun-Li or something... o_o;

Nitro Vordex
Sep 29, 2009, 05:28 PM
T. Hawk can go die. From a Mestu Shinku Hadouken.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll stay on this and see what happens, I really liked SFIV.

Vitamin_D
Sep 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
Fuck. Yeah. I'm really excited about this update. Here's a video (it includes Deejay, MAXIMUM):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jyK3j0rqAk

Damn, Juri's Ultra is dope haha. I'll probably end up having copies of both versions... again. >_<

Outrider
Sep 29, 2009, 06:13 PM
So wait - Juri is or isn't related to the Juli/Juni characters from Street Fighter Alpha? I originally read that she was supposed to be Juli, but now it looks like she's someone new (since she was listed as a new challenger, unlike the pre-existing T.Hawk and Dee-Jay).

Cracka_J
Sep 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
So wait - Juri is or isn't related to the Juli/Juni characters from Street Fighter Alpha? I originally read that she was supposed to be Juli, but now it looks like she's someone new (since she was listed as a new challenger, unlike the pre-existing T.Hawk and Dee-Jay).

No, completely new character it appears.

Although some of the vid footage has her peculiarly fighting bison, and if you notice her special effects, they are strangely close to bisons "psycho power" purple effects. I wouldn't be surprised if she has some back story relating to juli/juni & bison (remember, they were just ragdoll puppets being controlled by him), but for the time being, she's a completely new character.

Apone
Sep 29, 2009, 08:16 PM
There are some aspects of the throw game I do not like in 4 that I hope get tweaked as well as a bit of the air game that bothers me... The ground game seems solid enough... well I guess time will tell.

My buddy would kill someone if Dee Jay wasnt included =P
I wonder if there will be any more "hidden" characters?

Omega_Weltall
Sep 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
i just hope on this one people online wont just use Balrog(M.Bision jp) and just use his damn headbut, or i hope they fix Akuma (Gouki jp) Hell Murder, i mean really you can jump right out of that thing any time, hell i had Zangief and threw my friend right out of his Hell Murder!

watashiwa
Sep 30, 2009, 12:40 AM
i just hope on this one people online wont just use Balrog(M.Bision jp) and just use his damn headbut, or i hope they fix Akuma (Gouki jp) Hell Murder, i mean really you can jump right out of that thing any time, hell i had Zangief and threw my friend right out of his Hell Murder!
Why are either of those two problems?

Balrog's Headbutt is predictable and Akuma's Super/Ultra are more defensive moves instead of offensive. (You're supposed to catch people landing from their jumps or other screw ups, also your own focus attack...)

Watch how pros use Akuma. Tripping people then using your super/ultra or using it from across the screen is not how it works!

Cracka_J
Sep 30, 2009, 07:36 AM
Why are either of those two problems?

Balrog's Headbutt is predictable and Akuma's Super/Ultra are more defensive moves instead of offensive. (You're supposed to catch people landing from their jumps or other screw ups, also your own focus attack...)

Watch how pros use Akuma. Tripping people then using your super/ultra or using it from across the screen is not how it works!

Correct.

If anything regarding balrog (boxer) needs to be toned, it's his linkable into any of his B&B combo crouching jabs. At 3 frames, AND linkable into headbutt>ultra, his jabs are the deadliest move in his entire arsenal.

Akuma ultra/super is not meant to be used in the open (never have been...can jump out in any SF). You can combo into them with the use of focus, which is what I see most competitive akuma players using. There are also frame differences between the ultra and the super (regarding startup invincibility frames), I don't recall which one off hand was better.

Pballer42
Oct 1, 2009, 06:50 PM
I had mixed feelings about Street Fighter 4...I might pick this up because of Dee Jay haha hes badass

Kent
Oct 1, 2009, 06:55 PM
I think it's pretty funny that, in Street Fighter IV, it seems that Dan's ultra has higher priority than Akuma's, though it may be due to the disjointed hitbox on it.

AC9breaker
Oct 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
Totally picking this up. Just hope we get some Dudley lovin' in this, or at least Q. I'm speculating at the very least we get Alex or Yin and Yang since they've made various appearances in crossover games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fNHQ4g1yA

Also I would like to direct the naysayers in this thread to this link.
http://www.destructoid.com/guide-how-to-stfu-about-super-street-fighter-iv-150353.phtml

watashiwa
Oct 1, 2009, 08:58 PM
Totally picking this up. Just hope we get some Dudley lovin' in this, or at least Q. I'm speculating at the very least we get Alex or Yin and Yang since they've made various appearances in crossover games.
Holy shit, that YouTube video... I was giggling but then when the backup voice came on... I died.

CAMPSO
Oct 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=AC9breaker;2369449]Totally picking this up. Just hope we get some Dudley lovin' in this, or at least Q. I'm speculating at the very least we get Alex or Yin and Yang since they've made various appearances in crossover games.[QUOTE=AC9breaker;2369449]

Lets hope we get dudley for this. Then we could show balrog whats up :D

SubstanceD
Oct 3, 2009, 01:26 PM
As much as I loved the original Street Fighter IV I must admit I was very dissapointed at the overall character rostser, it felt too much like SF2 with new graphics. I'm hoping to see a few more new characters and I also wouldn't mind seeing some returning character from SFIII and the Alpha games.

I also agree that the SFIV needs some minor tweaks and changes to it's gameplay. I hated all the hassle it took to unlock the likes of Akuma and Gouken especially when you take into concideration how cheap Seth could be.

Freshellent
Oct 4, 2009, 01:57 PM
Recently gave SF4 a chance again, think I finally got out of my rut. Been trying out Abel and Cammy, instead of the usual Bison I play. Oh what timing, another SF coming? Needless to say I'm extremely excited about gentlemen fighting incoming, and some dirty prison tricks, Cody should be a great addition as well.

AC9, that Dudders mix is hot.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 4, 2009, 02:21 PM
Juri's an interesting character IMO, and I'm totally glad that they're FINALLY adding a Korean fighter to the mix, took them 20 years to do so. But yeah, I might try to main her, although I'm not sure if she'll replace Chun Li as my usual main. T. Hawk and Dee Jay, well, I guess now we got the entire SFII cast. Also, AC9 took the words right out of my mouth, I want some SFIII characters in there. I'd kill for Yun and Yang, and I'm a bit pissed that they weren't playable, especially with them being in Chun li's video.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
DLC really isn't feasible for tournament get togethers either. Considering unless sponsored, every system needs to be connected to the internet (verify checks) and have the original disc plus DLC. Not to mention new players have to run out and buy the 1st game, going to want new, plus buy DLC before even playing?! Casuals would quickly be PO'ed and the playerbase would further be split. Much easier to have a brand new disc.

Entitlement generation of free stuff and understandable not having to rebuy in such a less throwaway money economy don't comply. <-shorthand "Don't be a cheapass" trade in some games/ebay em/or just don't buy if you don't really want it. Onto the next flavor of the month Gamestop pre-order.

I really want some SF3 chain combos. Especially in the first big online play Street Fighter, it would help get rid of those input delay problems preventing random spam/mash out SRK's and not give headaches to people trying to do these damn near unnecessary "1 frame links." (awesome voice actor doing Dudley's "1,2,3," then gets a return too)

Also sound test (have to buy the soundtrack, no way!) if not selectable music please to not miss the actual good music on the disc that blow away "Indestructable" menu song.

And some 3D Sagat stage statue, new rendition of the Ryu Japan castle, please.
(Dan Saikyo dojo even just as the training stage a pipedream?)

Delete
Oct 11, 2009, 07:10 PM

I would be one of those "upset" people. Gotta love supporting a game like Street Fighter 4 and they turn around and F you in the *** with this No DLC Bull. :argh:

Outrider
Oct 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
DLC really isn't feasible for tournament get togethers either. Considering unless sponsored, every system needs to be connected to the internet (verify checks) and have the original disc plus DLC. Not to mention new players have to run out and buy the 1st game, going to want new, plus buy DLC before even playing?! Casuals would quickly be PO'ed and the playerbase would further be split. Much easier to have a brand new disc.

But I mean - why not do both? Old users can download the changes and new users would pick up the new disc. (And seeing as tournament players are already on the far extreme of regular users - I don't think anybody would be surprised if they simply upgraded to the new disc for tournament play.)

It's not the cleanest comparison, but we've seen situations where they cut production on the first version of a game in order to put out a "Game of the Year" edition that has all the DLC contained on it. Why not cease production on the current SFIV (like I'm assuming they've already done) and put out Super Street Fighter IV as the new disc version of the game, and then allow users who already own the game to download the updated code?

I know - there are probably technical issues up the wazoo for that, as it's not just additional content, but the fact that they're not giving terribly specific reasons when explaining the lack of DLC makes me want to keep questioning it. There have been Xbox360/PS3 games that had tweaks made to the engine through DLC - heck, Halo 2 had gameplay tweaks several times over to adjust balancing - so why couldn't they do something similar with SFIV?

I'm just not entirely buying the fact they couldn't add in those hooks where they needed to be with DLC. They developed the original game knowing they were going to tweak it (this is a fighting game, after all) - shouldn't they have planned ahead for this?

Again - I don't know. Maybe it's just not possible, but it still seems a little odd to me.

Ah well - it's not like it matters to me. I don't have the original game, so if I want the new one, I can just wait and pick up the next disc.

But what happens when they come out with Super Street Fighter IV Turbo Edition?

amtalx
Oct 11, 2009, 10:15 PM
Its possible. Rockstar will be repackaging GTAIV with DLC included. Bethesda released Oblivion with DLC included, and will do the same with Fallout 3. I haven't seen an instance of Capcom not being dicks about DLC. $20 for SFIV costumes and $5 for Versus in RE5 (the single most broken multiplayer experience I've ever had)? F*ck off Capcom.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 12, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah Capcom isn't soo progressive with DLC.

I can't imagine they'd have a fully functioning game in the 6 GB range (also presents a DLC problem, size) that you can play simply from a marketplace DLC (if without disc). Considering it seems a full overhaul of the game, ie: brand new systems are coming in, a bunch of new characters started from the ground up on the new gameplay systems. Considering the leap from Alpha to Alpha 2 for example. Not soo much SF3 to SF3:2I:Giant Attack. Or at least that's the best likely scenario.

They sure know their "unlock code" examples as amtalx mentioned though. Not soo much a streamlined online experience either. "Could not connect, retry?!" But Arcade mode fight requests was pretty neat.
-
Oh and Japan dev games usually don't get "Game of the year editions" ; repackaged, collections, and even English versions re-released, yes. Consider the history and where the "Game of the year" editions are coming from and to what markets. It doesn't happen with Japanese games.