PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Sakai on product codes and download contents

Mike
Oct 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
http://ameblo.jp/phantasy-star-portable2/entry-10355531678.html

In this blog post Sakai tells us some more about the product codes and DLC. To play online, you need to register a product code, as we know from a post WBMike made earlier. The nitty-gritty of it was unknown though. Sakai gives us some of the nitty gritty. Product codes will be linked to Playstation Network accounts. So in order to obtain a "Little Wing License," you have to first register for the PSN, then register your product code to be able to play online. Then to play online, you'll need to enter your PSN account name and password to confirm your information. All of this will be automated in the download version of the game. The product code on the UMD version of the year is only valid for a year (to be registered, I'd assume) but Sakai assures us that the Internet Multimode won't end a year from launch though.

Like the previous game, PSP2 will have download missions. These missions will be distributed for free. They will be automatically downloaded when you connect to the Internet Multimode and also available from the official site. These download missions can be played on Internet Multimode too.

New to the Portable series is download items. There's some good news and some bad news to go along with these and I bet you can already guess what. There are going to be free items and there are going to be purchasable items. Weapons, parts, and clothes are planned at the moment. The price of downloadable items has yet to be decided but Sakai says that they'll be as cheap as possible. The download weapons won't be anything game breaking and will be about B-rank in terms of power. Why they are this are because of a part of the game system that has yet to be revealed. (Customization, I bet) Different than the previous game, this extra item data is actually not included in the original data for the game so only people who actually have downloaded the same item data will be able to see the item when equipped. The items will be replaced by an equivalent weapon if the data is not present on other PSPs. These download items also aren't needed to complete any of the item collections in the game.

Luckily collaboration items will either be free to download from the PSN or unlockable via passwords / codes.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Sakai to the rescue as usual!
I feel better now, it makes sense that the digital version is all automated as it'll already have your PSN details and I guess it just doesn't need a product code?
I'm ok with the purchase thing now, we still get free download missions which is the most important thing and the free colloboration items are great, I can deal with buying a few purchase weapons that I like and not bothering with others. The main thing is we aren't paying for stupid stuff like Guardians Cash, one time missions and weapon upgrades.

Arika
Oct 2, 2009, 10:04 AM
Mike, do you think that people with hack firmware will be able to register? if they buy the real key of course.

Volcompat321
Oct 2, 2009, 10:11 AM
You could play with hacked firmware, but you still have to buy the game.
I'm sure someone will find a way to hack the shit out of it though. Just give it some time...

Mike
Oct 2, 2009, 10:22 AM
Mike, do you think that people with hack firmware will be able to register? if they buy the real key of course.
Provided the people who put out custom firmware are able to put out a version that meets PSP2's requirements, yes. Unless things have changed over the past few official firmware updates, PSN and CFW work together without a hitch if that's what you're getting at.

To be honest, I don't think the CFW will catch up with the official firmware any time soon. :\

Arika
Oct 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
Well, I just worry if they check your firmware when you register, and may check about the different in hack?

Since my PSP-3000 can't backward firmware, I can't risk to use OFW, or it will stuck with OFW until CFW catch up...

As long as I can play it with CFW, I don't mind buy the real game UMD.

Volcompat321
Oct 2, 2009, 10:32 AM
You would be able to play with CFW.
People are working on the latest firmware all the time.

I guarantee you wait 1-2 months after a firmware is released, it will be hacked.
Just give it some time, it will come.

landman
Oct 2, 2009, 11:21 AM
In the good days CFW were released the next day to the official... I'm even thinking on buying another PSP to have it legal, just like some people have a banned flashed 360 and a clean one to play online.

Volcompat321
Oct 2, 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know if anyone that posts in here heads down to Off-Topic, but I've posted in the "PSP Go" thread...

I have 2 PSP's as of now(one was free...)
One, was mine since the slims came out, hacked of course. (PSP 2001)
The other, was a friends that cannot be hacked because of the Ta- blah blah blah Motherboard. (PSP2001)

So, since it cant be hacked, I keep it up to date with Sony's firmware.
I'll still buy a PSP Go. Might even trade in the non-hacked PSP and use store credit.
I will not pay $250 for it, because it's way overpriced! (but I will trade stuff in to reduce the amount of cash I have to pay)

As of now, I have 4 UMD's, and no more.
PS:P1(count this as one...the JP UMD and English), Final Fantasy 7:Crisis Core, MGS Portable Ops, and +.
Buying games is not a bid deal, but it's convenient not to pay.

I'll buy a PSP Go in hopes it will be hacked one day. I don't need anything to play UMD's because I only have a few, and have a hacked PSP...
Better to buy the first gens than wait it out for Sony to give it a non hackable MOBO.

Immovable One
Oct 2, 2009, 12:27 PM
Okay so this kinda covered some of my concerns in
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169465
(Thanks Sakai!)

So to my understanding, DLC gets downloaded automatically as updates when we connect to Internet Multi-mode, and that the product codes will be tied to our PSN accounts instead of a previous speculation that we need to make an account in some PS:P2 site.

My question now is:
Will we be able to register our game using a US PSN account?

Volcompat321
Oct 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
No. Very doubtful.
Though making a JP account is super easy on a Ps3.
(If you have a PS3, I'll just link you to the tutorial I used)

I had to make a JP account to download some demos only they had.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
Yea, its not really that hard as long as you follow the tutorial. I mean, Vol's got one and there are a bunch on youtube.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yea, its not really that hard as long as you follow the tutorial. I mean, Vol's got one and there are a bunch on youtube.

Heck, I managed to do it without a tutorial. The layout of the store is almost identical to the US version.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 2, 2009, 04:04 PM
I'm hardly tech savvy so I went by memory and notes I jotted down when i saw a tutorial on YT. An' yea Chucky I found that the layout was similar. So basically I just did what most Americans do, wing it. Although I was a sad panda when I found out the Adhoc Party needed a solid line to connect to (no Wireless).

Illuminate
Oct 2, 2009, 04:58 PM
What if you don't have a PS3? I myself hope the cfw world is up-to-date, at least high enough to play PSP2 by then.

But, I don't own a PS3, soooo, will I be able to make a japanese account? Cause I really wanna play this game. D:

Mike
Oct 2, 2009, 07:22 PM
What if you don't have a PS3? I myself hope the cfw world is up-to-date, at least high enough to play PSP2 by then.

But, I don't own a PS3, soooo, will I be able to make a japanese account? Cause I really wanna play this game. D:
You can sign up via PSP hardware as well.

Immovable One
Oct 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
Okay, I just made a Japanese PSN account - GOOD GOD THE PLAYSTATION STORE CONTENT THEY'RE NOT GIVVING US dsljgbdklgbrsltbdkfbvf!

Anyway, what I'm planning to do now is test the game on my main account (US) first. If it works there, I'll probably terminate my Japanese account.
I'm not really a big fan of switching accounts to play certain games especially because it's not as easy to switch accounts in PSP compared to PS3.

The worse thing that could happen is that I ended up screwing up the registration process this way - if that happens, I'll just contact Play-Asia and complain XD

Volcompat321
Oct 2, 2009, 08:33 PM

Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

Heck, I managed to do it without a tutorial. The layout of the store is almost identical to the US version.

To be honest, I watched the tutorial like 10 times, and couldn't figure it out, so I winged most of it.

I figured what the hell, if I get something wrong, a message of sorts would come up...

Arika
Oct 2, 2009, 10:34 PM
Will they have a way to detect the different between hack firmware and Sony firmware? (they might try to check it during the time you updating the game) if both version are up to date.

Alma
Oct 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
some umd game has protection that can detect if there any cfw on the psp and refuse to play the game. It mostly a game from Namco-Bandai (idolmaster, gundam, toradora, etc)

i don't know about sega tough...

yeongene
Oct 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
stupid question but, if you're going to buy the digital release one; if we don't have a credit card, we have to get the PSN points that are for Japan specifically right?

Amherst_Wind
Oct 3, 2009, 01:01 PM
stupid question but, if you're going to buy the digital release one; if we don't have a credit card, we have to get the PSN points that are for Japan specifically right?

Yeah, check ebay for people that sell 5000 yen cards and email the code, so you dont have to pay shipping or wait for the card to arrive.

Allison_W
Oct 3, 2009, 06:45 PM
I wonder if non-Japanese players are going to get the finger again should this game make it outside of Japan.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 4, 2009, 05:23 AM
@Allison_W: That's a no brainer. XD Just look at their track record so far. I think the only time that Sega was actually willing to play ball with their foreign PSO customer base was during the GC days. Damn, but it was fun playing on JP PSO Ep 1 and 2, getting all the JP only extras, and still being able to play with the US/UK.

---------------------------

Getting PSN points is probably the second easiest thing to do, other than getting a JP PSN account. Besides ebay, also check online shops that stock Japanese imports, like Play-Asia and the like.

Personally, seeing Sony's latest attempt to destroy their own brand name with the joke that's the PSP GO, I wouldn't be in a hurry to give them money and encourage their utopian hallucination of a digital only market with full price digital games. Just import the UMD version - you'll get a lot more for your trouble.

I'm a little curious though - isn't anyone actually concerned that Sakai only confirmed the existence of the product code, acknowledged that it's technically a built in expiry date for the game, and yet gave no mention of what they would do to help customers who fail to register? It's like they're giving any shop foolish enough to stock this item beyond that date the finger. And woe betide a customer who unknowingly buys a copy after this date and tries to get some customer support.

That aside, I'm a little concerned about the whole code thing with cfw issue. If they do a firmware check, having a non transferable product code appears to me like a method to ban customers using cfw. That'll make for an expensive yet tiny coaster.

Mike
Oct 4, 2009, 06:45 AM
\I'm a little curious though - isn't anyone actually concerned that Sakai only confirmed the existence of the product code, acknowledged that it's technically a built in expiry date for the game, and yet gave no mention of what they would do to help customers who fail to register? It's like they're giving any shop foolish enough to stock this item beyond that date the finger. And woe betide a customer who unknowingly buys a copy after this date and tries to get some customer support.
Someone speculated in a previous post that the date was only from this only for the first print of games and second or third prints would have different expiry dates. Of course, this is just speculation. There's been no mention of what happens after a year besides the fact that Sakai says the server(s) will still be up. It may be a phazing out of UMDs on Sega's part but who knows.

That aside, I'm a little concerned about the whole code thing with cfw issue. If they do a firmware check, having a non transferable product code appears to me like a method to ban customers using cfw. That'll make for an expensive yet tiny coaster.
Being banned doesn't mean you can't play offline. Though it is unfortunate for those who only have a CFW PSP if such banning do take place. And before anyone worries about have to be banned for playing with CFW, there needs to be a CFW version that can play PSP2 to begin with.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 4, 2009, 06:59 AM
Someone speculated in a previous post that the date was only from this only for the first print of games and second or third prints would have different expiry dates. Of course, this is just speculation. There's been no mention of what happens after a year besides the fact that Sakai says the server(s) will still be up. It may be a phazing out of UMDs on Sega's part but who knows.

I'd assume that would be so, but that still means that any copies left unsold will remain permanently unsold. I suppose it's good that Sega has enough confidence that they'll sell all their copies before that date. It's the fact that they haven't said what they would do for copies left unsold which concerns me.

I think that the phasing out of the UMD version sounds more likely, given Sony's current push for all digital portable systems. Kinda sucks though if that's the case.

Being banned doesn't mean you can't play offline. Though it is unfortunate for those who only have a CFW PSP if such banning do take place. And before anyone worries about have to be banned for playing with CFW, there needs to be a CFW version that can play PSP2 to begin with.

Hmm, for some, the online game IS the reason for PSP2, no? XD And yeah, I agree - the game may not even work with a cfw system... yet. However given that it's an online game with updated downloads, even a cfw system that works now may not work in the future.

Maelixius
Oct 4, 2009, 07:19 AM
Phantasy Star Portable had no problems whatsoever with downloading DLC missions from the marketplace, so I'm assuming it won't be an issue with the sequel.
Fingers crossed though.

Mike
Oct 4, 2009, 07:56 AM
Phantasy Star Portable had no problems whatsoever with downloading DLC missions from the marketplace, so I'm assuming it won't be an issue with the sequel.
Fingers crossed though.
That's because PSP1 downloaded mission data directly from a site set up by Sega, not from the Playstation Store.

landman
Oct 4, 2009, 08:11 AM
It would be a shame to play this game without being able to take screenshots xD

So the servers for the game will be provided by Sega? I didn't know online games worked like this in PSP, no surprise most of them don't have this function...

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 4, 2009, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if us Western Imperialist dogs get shafted out of DLC. BUT! But, I am hopefull that Dragon Sakai will allow us fantastic items such as the Fanta room decos. If not then its no big deal. I can live without em. Its the downloadable missions I'm really eager for. I can only do one mission so many times.

Volcompat321
Oct 4, 2009, 11:37 AM
Downlaodable missions and items (weps people cant see unless they've also downloaded them).

I think I will keep my non CFW PSP just in case...lol.
I might even have a Go by the time this comes out, so I'll keep it up to date anyway.

But, as someone mentioned, the screenshots.....I cant play a PSP game without the ability to take screenshots! :(
C'mon Sony, put the screenshot in an OFW!!!

Arika
Oct 4, 2009, 11:39 AM
How do u take screen shot in CFW anyway? I never try it. (use CFW 5.something)

Amherst_Wind
Oct 4, 2009, 12:39 PM
How do u take screen shot in CFW anyway? I never try it. (use CFW 5.something)

Theres a few different plugins, you just install them into the right folder like any other plugin. The one I use, you just press the note button and it takes a screenshot. There are some that make GIFs aswell.

Volcompat321
Oct 4, 2009, 01:53 PM
CWcheat is probably the easiest.
You don't have to have cheats, it's just what the program is called.
You go into the settings of that, and set up which button you want to press to take pics.
Usually it's default ♪ but it depends what you like to press.
If you need help on how to set it up, just let me know.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 4, 2009, 07:07 PM
If you don't mind taking only shots of your offline exploits, then like Mike mentioned, it sounds like you can still use the cfw system (if it works that is) to play offline. IMO, the only worry starts when you start playing online, since we don't know yet if Sega or Sony is hosting the servers, and even if it's Sega, we don't know if they'll do Sony's dirty work. And I doubt anyone's willing to waste a perfectly good product code for the sake of testing out a potential banning system.

Just don't forget which system you're using when you want to play online, I guess? XD

@landman: I think Mike was only mentioning that PSP 1 DLC came striaght from Sega. It's probably too early still to assume that Sega will be running the servers. Correct me if I'm wrong though - is PSP 2 the first PSP game to have announced online as opposed to normal Ad-Hoc mode?

Amherst_Wind
Oct 4, 2009, 07:12 PM
Some PSP games have had online modes, however I can only think of one personally that requires a PSN login and thats Resistance Retribution. I think that, because it requires your PSN to login and play, the servers are hosted by Sony on the Playstation Network just like every PS3 online game.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 4, 2009, 07:17 PM
Some PSP games have had online modes, however I can only think of one personally that requires a PSN login and thats Resistance Retribution. I think that, because it requires your PSN to login and play, the servers are hosted by Sony on the Playstation Network just like every PS3 online game.

Ah. That doesn't sound like a good sign then.

Zeek123
Oct 4, 2009, 11:39 PM
Sony shouldn't have done us the way they have in the first place.
$250 for a product that should've been out years ago? No thanks.
The Downloadable games are FULL PRICE! You pay their shipping, handling, packaging, everything for something that costs them nothing to copy again and again endlessly.
Those so called "Minis" that are supposed to mimic the bullet train that is the iPhone App store is ridiculously over priced as well. $10 for Tetris? Really? A game that hasn't changed in 20 years?

Sorry, anyway, on topic: I honestly don't blame Sony for trying to lock out on the CFW users for 'stealing' software. It's how they make most of their money. I hate to say it, but with the way that OFW keeps coming out, 6.10 just came out recently by the way, I can't see CFW really keeping up. We all might just have to give the PSPGo the middle finger, and get a 4000 WITH the UMD drive for hopefully a lesser price point. $170 or boycott I say.

Risingsun
Oct 5, 2009, 12:47 AM
I plan on buying the game digitally and I know Sony allows users to download their games on up to 5 authorized PSPs. I have 2 PSPs, I share one account with my brother. If the online registration is tied to my PSN account will we be able to play online together? Both of us online at the same time with the same little wing license tied into the digital code?

Crystal_Shard
Oct 5, 2009, 01:28 AM
I plan on buying the game digitally and I know Sony allows users to download their games on up to 5 authorized PSPs. I have 2 PSPs, I share one account with my brother. If the online registration is tied to my PSN account will we be able to play online together? Both of us online at the same time with the same little wing license tied into the digital code?

If that were true, that would make the digital version superior for people who want to play online, but it wouldn't make sense business wise for Sega. Logically, one download equals one code - you might have it on multiple PSPs, and possibly be able to play Ad-Hoc mode (if it still exists, and isn't replaced by Internet Multi) between them, but I can't see them letting one code allowing up to 5 people access to the servers simultaneously.

Personally though, I can't see a reason for favoring the digital version over the physical one - if you buy from the correct retailer, you can get quite a few collectible items that you wouldn't get from a digital copy, and they cost the same too.

landman
Oct 5, 2009, 01:46 AM
You will be able to play offline with the same game in 5 different consoles (yes, PSN works like this, in everything) but those 5 consoles can't be connected online with the same PSN account at the same time, so no, you will not be able to play online with the same license at the same time, since it needs account verification to play (most games can be played with a different account, but not PSP2)

Arika
Oct 5, 2009, 04:59 AM
In case if CFW can't play this game.

I hope that somebody gonna make a thread about how to deal with this later when the game is actually released, For both PSP-3000 and PSP-go.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 5, 2009, 06:59 AM
Well if you use CFW 5.00 M33-6 then you will not be able to play online, because 5.00 M33-6 can't access the Playstation Network.
If you use 5.50 GEN-B, then you will be able to get online because that CFW can access the Network just fine.
However the most important thing is we get a CFW update that is able to play PSP2, recently there has been such a lack of CFW updates that someone has had to create a program to patch new games to run on the CFW but even that isn't 100% effective...

WBMike
Oct 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
Well reading the international communities outside of JP+US, they are majorly pissed about this product code.

I'm not very well informed about CFW. If I ever get a psp, i'd want to take screenshots and it seems only CFW can do it. This makes me sad :(

Maelixius
Oct 5, 2009, 12:41 PM
Well if you use CFW 5.00 M33-6 then you will not be able to play online, because 5.00 M33-6 can't access the Playstation Network.
If you use 5.50 GEN-B, then you will be able to get online because that CFW can access the Network just fine.
However the most important thing is we get a CFW update that is able to play PSP2, recently there has been such a lack of CFW updates that someone has had to create a program to patch new games to run on the CFW but even that isn't 100% effective...

I was going to mention this in my other post to get my point across.
You can access the Playstation Store with ease by using the GEN-B custom firmware so there should be no problems going online.
Only problem you might have is not being able to run the game because of firmware restrictions.
Also, even if you can't go online, there's always Adhoc-party or xlink kai available to use, so no need to panic.:wacko:

Edit: I just noticed, you'll have to buy the game aswell (hard copy?) to get the code so getting the game by illegal means is kinda moot, unless you want to play on adhoc mode.
/facepalm

Amherst_Wind
Oct 5, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yes, its going to be very tough trying to get an illegal version of PSP2 online thanks to the product code. An ISO of the UMD version would straight away be a lost cause without a product code. The best chance anyone has is someone hacking the PSN digital version (because its already authenticated and doesn't require the code), but even then its linked to the account that downloaded it...
I just hope all the people who would have played the ISO buy the real game or the server could be empty. xD

Maelixius
Oct 5, 2009, 01:23 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind buying PSP2 but there are several reasons that is holding me back.
1- Play-Asia doesn't ship Sony products to Europe
2- The game is in Japanese
3- Shipping costs from other Asian websites is ridiculous

That and also the fact that the only PSP I own has custom firmware.
So owning a game that won't run on my PSP plus not being able to access the online mode really hurts.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I usually use Play-Asia but for Sony stuff I had to find a different site. For PSP1 I had to use YesAsia, which was actually pretty good.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html

Shipping is free, and their rules are slightly better than Play-Asia, they ship Sony products to Europe but they wont do it 'VAT Free' to the UK or Germany, which means you'd probably get hit with import tax when it arrives. In my case though, being in the UK, with free shipping and the game only costing £33 the VAT only comes to £5 plus a little handling charge.

Akaimizu
Oct 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
CFW software doesn't necessarily keep up anymore. They haven't for a while now. For a good while, they tend to wait a bit until firmware *worth it* comes out and then they update it. For now, the solution for all current UMDs exist. When PSP2 comes out, it'll likely come out with a brand new firmware revision (likely with no better feature than a simple number and a game that requires that number).

I have a OFW old PSP and a CFW one for those just in case moments. Being able to play the newly released UMD while I wait for the CFW to support it. Also, one needs the OFW to handle most of the digital download stuff, nowadays.

Maelixius
Oct 5, 2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I usually use Play-Asia but for Sony stuff I had to find a different site. For PSP1 I had to use YesAsia, which was actually pretty good.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html

Shipping is free, and their rules are slightly better than Play-Asia, they ship Sony products to Europe but they wont do it 'VAT Free' to the UK or Germany, which means you'd probably get hit with import tax when it arrives. In my case though, being in the UK, with free shipping and the game only costing £33 the VAT only comes to £5 plus a little handling charge.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out and see.
Since I'm in UK too it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

DeinoK
Oct 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
New Custom firmware will be ahrd to find, someone said that Cfw appeared the day after OFW was released, that was thanks of the work of a GENIUS, called Dark Alex (from Madrid, Spain) but this man got many blackmail from "unknown" so he decided to disappear and dont work anymore on hacking PSP's. So i dont hope in playing Phantasy Star 2 on a CFW PSP.

Akaimizu
Oct 5, 2009, 09:49 PM
Dark Alex has been on hiatus, true, but there have been updates to play current titles. I'm fairly sure PSP2 wont be an exception.

Volcompat321
Oct 6, 2009, 03:19 AM
I hope you guys realize, he's not the only one that worked on CFW. Just the M33 series.
There's like 5 other types of CFW.
I don't bet on there being a CFW right away, but guaranteed there will be one eventually.
At the very soonest, 2-4 months after a OFW comes out, there will be some type of CFW. Just have to do some research.

Zeek123
Oct 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
I was just thinking, and since I don't see a reason to post a new thread I'll just inquire here:

Is the code we're given like a PSN Download code? A separate file? Like a file for patching?

Or is it just something that verifies that you bought the game new?

Mike
Oct 7, 2009, 07:01 PM
I was just thinking, and since I don't see a reason to post a new thread I'll just inquire here:

Is the code we're given like a PSN Download code? A separate file? Like a file for patching?

Or is it just something that verifies that you bought the game new?
It is a code you have to register on the PSN to verify you purchased the game. You only have to use it for online play though so if you're going to pirate PSP2, you can still play offline or adhoc.

Zeek123
Oct 9, 2009, 11:14 AM
Alright. Thanks Mike.

I was honestly just wondering if it was like downloading files like with GameStop preorders.