PDA

View Full Version : There Ain't No School Like, Old School!

Aether
Oct 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
The stylistics of Phantasy Star Zero that I have seen are for some reason reminding me of the Classic Phantasy Stars; Especially IV.

And I was wondering has anybody else been getting that feeling?:-)

BIG OLAF
Oct 19, 2009, 12:04 PM
The anime-style cutscenes have definitely flashed me back to, say, Phantasy Star IV, without a doubt. Though, in general, I get a much more PSO-type feel from PS0.

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
i was thinking the art looks more like the megaman zero games on the gba may even be the same artists i dunno someone feel free to correct me on this

zling
Oct 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
it reminds me of ff3, i liked the graphics but never got too far lol. imo the only issue is that i dont like how most of the outfits dont look like they are made for combat.

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
i never thought about it before but yeah your right and a few look like crazy swimsuits

Mike
Oct 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
The stylistics of Phantasy Star Zero that I have seen are for some reason reminding me of the Classic Phantasy Stars; Especially IV.

And I was wondering has anybody else been getting that feeling?:-)
Nope, not a bit. The art style and environment are completely different. The story is slightly comparable to PS2 but not really PS4.

Arikado
Oct 19, 2009, 05:28 PM
PSZ reminds me of Burger Time.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9251/burgertime.gif

... On second thought, nevermind.

(PSZ reminds me of PSO more.) :P

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 05:34 PM
PSZ reminds me of Burger Time.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9251/burgertime.gif

... On second thought, nevermind.

(PSZ reminds me of PSO more.) :P

omg thats funny as hell

Niered
Oct 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
Artistically I'll go ahead and say that I'm really not fond of this Phantasy Star game. Its better than PSU in some ways, but PSO hit their art style perfectly.

PSO's enemy, area, and character designs were very similar to todays Metroid Prime games, they have this very utilitarian feel. Im not saying that every idea in PSO or MP make sense, but the environments and such just felt "real". Like if that tech existed then thats how the world would look. It was really nice and I appreciated it a helluva lot more than the absurd dorky anime style of PSU, as well as a bit more than this chibi style in PSZ.

Dont get me wrong though, I full understand why they went this route with PSZ, its definitely better suited for a portable game. The characters are more stylized allowing for a lower polygon count while still keeping their individual flair. One classes silhouette is intantly recognizable from another's, and thats extremely important in a Multiplayer game.

BIG OLAF
Oct 19, 2009, 05:54 PM
PSO's enemy, area, and character designs were very similar to todays Metroid Prime games

How do you figure that? I see no similarities at all between PSO and the Metroid Prime series. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just simply don't see what you mean. Please elaborate, if you will.

zling
Oct 19, 2009, 05:55 PM
the thing i didnt like about pso is the humar, he just looked silly with those shorts and mega man arm. now that i think about it, hes my least favoret in psz too lol

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
i like the chibi styling i just wish you could mess with the proportions so you could make proper chibi characters

zling
Oct 19, 2009, 05:58 PM
yea, i wanted to remake my racast from pso. he was really short and fat and it looked pretty cool lol.

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 06:11 PM
lol im picturing what he might look like in my head holding a launcher that dwarfs him by comparison

Niered
Oct 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
How do you figure that? I see no similarities at all between PSO and the Metroid Prime series. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just simply don't see what you mean. Please elaborate, if you will.

Aesthetically speaking, there are alot of similarities. You have creatures that are basically "hard" fantasy-sci-fi. They arent anything you see on earth, but they arent unbelievable either (once you get past their ability to, you know, cast techniques, jump impossible distances, etc). PSO's bosses, most of its enemies, the character designs (minus the facial features) and the environments all looked like they could have easily come from a western concept art studio. This is where I get the MP similarity (which obviously IS a western developed game), both games take place in a sci-fi/fantasy future, both have a look that deals heavily with unique, but fairly realistic creatures and settings.

zling
Oct 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
i dont remember the enemys in metroid games too well, but the vr temple really reminds me of what little i played of metroid prime and hunters

Aether
Oct 19, 2009, 07:40 PM
I also am none to fond of the fact that the only possible look for the Humar is male jailbait. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CuteShotaroBoy):disapprove:

However the, RAmar, FOmar,FOnewm, HUnewm all look sufficiently mature.:D

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
i dunno for the first time i wanna play the humar but i have a set group of characters that i play so i will be remaking those but if i get a second copy then i will be playing a humar as my main

Mike
Oct 19, 2009, 09:54 PM
Dont get me wrong though, I full understand why they went this route with PSZ, its definitely better suited for a portable game. The characters are more stylized allowing for a lower polygon count while still keeping their individual flair. One classes silhouette is intantly recognizable from another's, and thats extremely important in a Multiplayer game.
And yet they could have gone for a more PSO style (http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/130/130627/img.html) (though this is old news) and done all of the above. The RAcasts don't have a whole lot of detail in these pictures but that would have likely changed given the state of development the game was in when these shots were taken. I'm not sure why they decided to go with the style they did when PSO was more than possible. They didn't though, and that's the end of that.

Rakath Talyn
Oct 19, 2009, 10:38 PM

I kind of see the similar, in that you don't look at anything and go 'why would you wear that into combat' (except for PSO FOnewm, but that's a very specific issue). While most PSO enemies were simple, they without question fit into the surroundings. I mean from the vids I've watched, I'm more confused by what some bosses are than how to kill them. They are doing the best with the DS capabilities, but that means that they had to make things a tad more outlandish. Which makes some things a tad too outlandish.

I'd love for a sequel PSZ to head to the Wii and use the increased graphics power to give us a closer midpoint between PSZ and PS0. Little more variety, little more graphics, keep the combat system set-up (maybe give a 4th/8th pallet spot). As I am saddened by most of the PSZ character design options, and long for a console home for the 'true successor' to PSO. Mostly so I can have 6, maybe even 8 hairstyles and colors.

*Note: I do not hate PSU. I just like my techs away from my weapons. And I love fighting unarmed time to time.*

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
as far as the new style goes i think it was to appeal to a larger audience

personally i dont care what the game looks like as long as the game play is solid

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
True. Although I'm hoping that the HUmar isn't just all shades of shota. I hope he wears pants in some of the outfits. One type I can't stand is the HUnewearl. Ugh!

kirtblue
Oct 19, 2009, 11:16 PM
True. Although I'm hoping that the HUmar isn't just all shades of shota. I hope he wears pants in some of the outfits. One type I can't stand is the HUnewearl. Ugh!

im sure humar will get lots of shota references and i will honestly be surprised if there is not tons of hentai

as far as the pants thing -> http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168906

Zero Revenge
Oct 19, 2009, 11:47 PM

What's wrong with the HUnewearl? Not going to make a federal case out of it, just curious.

You don't like the Booty Shorts with Thigh-High stockings?

kirtblue
Oct 20, 2009, 12:20 AM
What's wrong with the HUnewearl? Not going to make a federal case out of it, just curious.

i dont think anyone can answer no to that

Aether
Oct 20, 2009, 11:22 AM
It is more than just the look of PSZ that reminded me of the classic Phantsay Stars. The whole basic premise of plot is to me reminiscent of PSIV.

We have a once prosperous civilization on a lush green world, reduced by a calamitous event. To a handle full of settlements in a barren wasteland. And the Inhabitants of said settlements turn to a Mercenary Union/Employment Agency to deal with their troubles.

GeoSword
Oct 20, 2009, 12:09 PM

Well its not really shorts. The HUnewearl outfit is more like a high-cut swim outfit with long sleeves (sorta like the PSU swimwear for females) and long boots. After looking at my HUnewearl gasha figure, the "shorts" is actually a belt that just rests on her hips.

Also, the art style seems very Lunar-ish, I think it is though.

kirtblue
Oct 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
ok i think everyone is gunna have to agree to disagree on the art style it seems to me that it reminds everyone of something different

Niered
Oct 20, 2009, 05:52 PM
Also, the art style seems very Lunar-ish, I think it is though.

Also known as Anime derivative #8 of the 10 different styles acceptable in japan.

zling
Oct 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
what are the other nine?

Niered
Oct 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
what are the other nine?

Shhhh! The important thing to remember is that it doesn't matter, they all look the same anyways. Just recolor the hair, say its a guy when its obviously a woman, and change the plotline ever so subtly to form some variant of the "Chosen one" storyline.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.