PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 What Class do you plan on playing as first?

BioWarrior
Oct 26, 2009, 05:41 PM
With the classes being changed for how they play what do you plan on playing as first for your main character? With technics finally having a combo system and being back on pso's tech disk system I think I'm going Force first. Usually I play mostly as a Hunter but I really enjoyed force in pso/psz, force was too tedious in psu/psp1 for my liking.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wasn't the 4th class Braver?

BioWarrior
Oct 26, 2009, 05:49 PM
Dammit yes it was I had a brain fart. There isn't any way for me to fix it is there?

Pillan
Oct 26, 2009, 06:09 PM
In every game on the PSO series I've started out as RAcaseal. I'm not going to break tradition now...

Especially since every class can get every weapon, no more bullet leveling, charged shot, extra damage for the extra ATA, guarding with 2 hand guns... And who knows what other improvements there are?

Allison_W
Oct 26, 2009, 06:18 PM
I'm honestly not sure which one I'll do first--either Hunter or Braver, as melees and hybrids tend to be my main squeezes.

As far as the poll goes, you could ask to have this thread closed, then try again.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hell yeah, lets get some Berserker in Phantasy Star!
I wanna punch De Ragan in the freakin' face with my bare hands!

Allison_W
Oct 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hell yeah, lets get some Berserker in Phantasy Star!
I wanna punch De Ragan in the freakin' face with my bare hands!

Me too ;.;

BioWarrior
Oct 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
Got lucky and a moderator was able to edit Berserker to Braver without locking the thread yay ^-^

would be awesome though if they'd adjust Ramegid to be like PSZ's and add in The weapon God Hand was it? From pso. You know the one that is nothin but your fist lol.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
*ahem* wishes aside...
Definately Braver, just because it looks like the actual 'build-your-own-type' type, with good proficiency in Skills, Bullets and Technics and (I imagine) balanced stats, you really can just choose whatever weapons you want.

Mike
Oct 26, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'll probably go Hunter -> Ranger -> Braver -> Force because I hate playing forces. At least by myself, that is. I don't mind being a support force but support forces don't work very well by themselves.

Anduril
Oct 26, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm really looking forward to this (and hoping that they make a full version release in the US), and just due to the fact that, as to my understanding, ATA now effects range weapon strength instead of ATP I'm going to make my RAnewearl that I've always dreamed of.

Rakath Talyn
Oct 26, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hunter is my first and always, however depending on how Braver works I might switch. Since it seems more likely to work in my usual favored HUne ways.

Ami
Oct 26, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hunter most likely. I've always been a Hunter so I'm not breaking that now. Maybe a switch to Braver depending on how it plays out. But Hunter first.

Oh how I wish to recreate my HUnewearl. PSU version didn't really feel as well as PSO version.

No to Force, unless I'm making a newman. I hate playing Forces, seemed sluggish to me and I was the type to get in the fray then be in backlines. But that didn't stop me from basically being support when playing with friends in PSO, but I digress.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 27, 2009, 03:42 AM
Hm.

PSO v1 - FONewearl
PSO v2 - Never got it
PSO Ep 1&2 and Plus - FONewearl
PSO Ep 3 - Technically FONewearl, but you know what Ep 3 is like. XD
PSO Ep 4 - Gameguard. Bleh. Also no US/JP server interconnection. Meh
PSU (PS2) - No modem, so never bothered. Also Gameguard again. Phooey.
PSP1 - Started as a Force and then Masterforce, but training on the side as a Hunter/Fortefighter
PSZ - FONewearl
PSP2 - *coughs*

I've never started an Online Phantasy Star without a Force character as my main... so I guess that's a no brainer. XD I'm a little torn between just transferring characters over from PS1:P and starting anew though...

The new system looks like I'll finally get my wish to have my Force twirl around with claws, doublesabers and the like. XD *Crosses fingers that things aren't screwed up*

Skyly HUmar
Oct 27, 2009, 06:59 PM
HUMAR!!! lol. I have always been one since I picked up PSO and its never let me down.

I dont wanna be a RA because I only have like 1 or 2 guns anyway :/

The only techs I ever use are Rabarta and Resta (Thinkin of Demagrants and Giresta though, might be beneficial) so FO isnt me.

Braver... ehh I'm barely ever gonna tech or shoot so no point really, I plan to just play as the rest to be able to use 1 good gun and Techmag.

GeoSword
Oct 28, 2009, 01:09 AM
I usually pick Hunter always. I like the bigsabers (DeRagan Slayer, Flowens Sword). Then switch to Fighmaster afterwards. I may try the Force types when the demo comes out though. I never have touched Ranger much either, but I would its never late to try out the others.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Oct 28, 2009, 01:47 AM
More than likely Hunter. ;x
Braver looks like a lot of fun though. So I'll try that out too.

Allison_W
Oct 28, 2009, 02:32 AM
I usually pick Hunter always. I like the bigsabers (DeRagan Slayer, Flowens Sword). Then switch to Fighmaster afterwards. I may try the Force types when the demo comes out though. I never have touched Ranger much either, but I would its never late to try out the others.

There are no Fighmasters in this game. It's just Hunter, Ranger, Force, and Braver.

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2009, 06:48 AM
Force, since we can finally charge our technics now for ubr damage. Then i'll likely go Ranger, since they can charge their stuff too.

Skyly HUmar
Oct 28, 2009, 09:13 PM
Force, since we can finally charge our technics now for ubr damage. Then i'll likely go Ranger, since they can charge their stuff too.

FO techs are always uber anyway ;P my $ sais techs got nerfed somehow due to charges.

BioWarrior
Oct 28, 2009, 09:28 PM
FO techs are always uber anyway ;P my $ sais techs got nerfed somehow due to charges.

Considering that photon chargers are gone now and there's no fluids like PSO/PSZ it'll be interesting to see how forces will play now

Mike
Oct 28, 2009, 11:12 PM
Considering that photon chargers are gone now and there's no fluids like PSO/PSZ it'll be interesting to see how forces will play now
They'll have to use striking weapons in addition to wands and rods.

Allison_W
Oct 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
They'll have to use striking weapons in addition to wands and rods.

Cause for forces to diversify! I approve.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 28, 2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe the PP regen will be quicker for Forces? I would think so with the combo techs now.

Mike
Oct 28, 2009, 11:37 PM
Here's where customization comes in! And from what I gather, PP regenerates fairly quickly anyways so combine that with the PP boost gained from striking enemies, forces won't be too lacking. Probably.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 28, 2009, 11:38 PM
They should be alright. I've seen the regen rate from rangers and hunters so Forces should be in the clear. Hell I might make one and I hate forces!

Allison_W
Oct 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
I would imagine that techniques will probably be cheaper than melee PAs as far as PP consumption goes, too.

And yeah, Mike's right--PP capacity or regen boosts will probably be great buys for Forces.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 29, 2009, 09:07 AM
Didn't you guys notice during the video where they introduced the technic combo, the Force cast 3 spells but by the time the combo was over she had all her PP back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpoxzq3VTY

Check the PP regen in the example, at 2:05. You can see it sky rocket back to max after every cast. Sure more powerful technics will take more PP but still, I dont think any Force will have to worry about running out of PP for anything more than 2 or 3 seconds.

unicorn
Oct 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
Force.

Maelixius
Oct 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
Didn't you guys notice during the video where they introduced the technic combo, the Force cast 3 spells but by the time the combo was over she had all her PP back.

2 words - Forces rule.

You know you want them.:wacko:

Blizz3112
Oct 29, 2009, 09:59 AM
Probably try the Ranger first, to see if it improved compared to previous ones... ;-)

Mysterious-G
Oct 29, 2009, 10:25 AM
I will choose once I know which class has access to EX traps. If there are any traps in the game...

Maybe using traps is now an ability that uses up those slots?

Akaimizu
Oct 29, 2009, 01:54 PM
Likely a Ranger class. If only because Tynselle is probably the coolest online character I've ever created for a Phantasy Star game. Though to put the rotation into perspective, I'll probably be starting a force character right along side her. (Even though I officially came out of my Force hiatus in PSZ. Believe me, I was taking a long break from force concentration because I played that architype to death in the past. Literally, to death. I needed a long change of perspective to recover.)

Zero Revenge
Oct 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
What the Hell is a Braver?

WBMike
Oct 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
Braver is a mixture of Hunter Ranger and Force. They excel in handling light weight weapons.

Allison_W
Oct 29, 2009, 04:36 PM

To give you an idea of just what a Braver is, you have to compare them to the other three classes. Let's use PAs. Hunters get level 30 skills and level 15 bullets and techs, Rangers get level 30 bullets and level 15 skills and techs, Forces get level 30 techs and level 15 skills and bullets, and Bravers get level 20 PAs in every category.

So they're a three-way Hunter/Ranger/Force hybrid, and allegedly they particularly excel in light weapons or something. My best guess is that their "in-class weapon proficiency" discount won't be applied on the basis of striking/ranged/tech weapons like it would for the other classes, but rather, to all one-handed weapons.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 29, 2009, 04:41 PM

They explained it pretty well, that just leaves me to say:

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/attachments/archived-threads/4448d1009428015-hello-welcome-last-week-lastweek2.jpg

Zero Revenge
Oct 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Dammit. Beaten at my own image macro game.

Touche.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 29, 2009, 09:48 PM
Dammit. Beaten at my own image macro game.

Touche.

I learned from the best Brother. :)

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow after looking back at that Fun Fan Ep. yea Forces maybe my 2nd choice. It seems the Techs don't take alot of PP away and the regen rate is a bit faster. But do you think each race will have they're own rate of regen?

Rakath Talyn
Oct 29, 2009, 10:38 PM
Wow after looking back at that Fun Fan Ep. yea Forces maybe my 2nd choice. It seems the Techs don't take alot of PP away and the regen rate is a bit faster. But do you think each race will have they're own rate of regen?

Makes sense if they did. Probably giving Newman the edge in it (since it is their specialty in PS0 and PSO).

Allison_W
Oct 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
If PP regeneration is based on a percentage of PP capacity, then Newmans will probably have faster regen simply by that virtue alone.

I am kind of hoping that female characters don't have a drastic PP advantage, though. It's bad enough that in PSU a lot of classes have a crystal-clear better gender (i.e., techers and rangers; hunters to a lesser extent too, to be honest). Granted I'd like it if they phased the stat differences out altogether with the new customization system in place and all, but fat chance of such luck.

Mike
Oct 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
I am kind of hoping that female characters don't have a drastic PP advantage, though. It's bad enough that in PSU a lot of classes have a crystal-clear better gender (i.e., techers and rangers; hunters to a lesser extent too, to be honest). Granted I'd like it if they phased the stat differences out altogether with the new customization system in place and all, but fat chance of such luck.
I thought PSU did away with that and just made the stats racial.

Allison_W
Oct 30, 2009, 01:37 AM
I thought PSU did away with that and just made the stats racial.

Not in online it didn't. Did you mean PSP? I don't know if they did or not.

Zero Revenge
Oct 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
I know i'm late with this. But thank you Mike & Allison for describing it.

And Wind for making me have a great laugh. :)

Drawers
Oct 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
I can't decide. I have to see all the classes, all the clothes, all the weapons, all the shields, all the overdrive attacks. Because I always end up remaking my character because I'm not happy with their look. Ugh! I want my character to be just right, but humans have crappy clothes (etleast some of them look decent, but the rest are just ugh I tell you! UGH!), but robots have the ugliest overdrives (couldn't they have etleast changed the summoning special effects from red and black to an ugly dirty orange and purple into something a little nicer? I mean as if those colors aren't match friendly, but the transition is just awful as well). There's alot more, like why must the photon trails be blue/red/yellow instead of matching the color of the weapon's element? *sigh* I really hope I don't have to do too much tweaking to make my character not a messy mixture of colours. Its like paint, when you mix a bunch of colours together you get this murky brown. I can't stand it! I love it when I'm matching.

BioWarrior
Oct 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
The photon trails are the same color as the weapons photon element. The only exception to that rule is photon arts. And ever since PSU:AOTI they have it represent the pa level. And after playing PSZ which has a chain system like psp2 you won't want to mindlessly spam pa's like in psu.

Drawers
Oct 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
The photon trails are the same color as the weapons photon element. The only exception to that rule is photon arts. And ever since PSU:AOTI they have it represent the pa level. And after playing PSZ which has a chain system like psp2 you won't want to mindlessly spam pa's like in psu.

Yeah I remember AotI, I played it since it's release. The PA trails should go by the weapons colour, imo it doesn't make any sense. It takes away from how someone wants their character (if not how it would make more sense for the trail to match its source). I know about the combo system, and people are going to still spam PAs just not as much as they would in the game's predecessors (don't sit there in shock and amazement when you see noobs in battle mode running away so their bar can recharge). I.e. it looks silly when your using an earth-element weapon and blue aura or yellow aura flows off the blade when its orange. Maybe you're not particular about these things, but I'm a neat freak which is why this situation is sooo frustrating!! :P

Ethateral
Oct 31, 2009, 01:34 AM
Force, kthx. I'll always play a force as my main. <3