PDA

View Full Version : choosing psp/psz

coryjosephfritts
Nov 4, 2009, 12:27 PM
With the release of ps0 and psp on the way i would like to know what other users thing

i want a portable phantasy star game and though i lived pso i also enjoy psu quite a bit

so im asking for users that have played or atleast know a great deal about one of the games to give me pros and cons

and why i should buy one over the other

coryjosephfritts
Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
With the release of ps0 and psp on the way i would like to know what other users thing

i want a portable phantasy star game and though i lived pso i also enjoy psu quite a bit

so im asking for users that have played or atleast know a great deal about one of the games to give me pros and cons

and why i should buy one over the other

i posted in each forum in order to get both sides of the story i hope you dont mind

DreXxiN
Nov 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
Honestly, even though PS0 seems more "PSO-ish", nothing feels quite as "at home" as PSP2, and this is coming from a Dreamcast v1 Vet.

Niered
Nov 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
Honestly, even though PS0 seems more "PSO-ish", nothing feels quite as "at home" as PSP2, and this is coming from a Dreamcast v1 Vet.

I beg to differ.

I mean, I havent played PSZ, so take this with whatever grain of salt you wish, but honestly, PSU is such a flawed game that I can't see anything that could make it more PSO than PSZ is. Im not saying that PSZ is perfect, but if you want something closer to the roots of PSO, then PSZ seems to be your best bet.

but hey, thats coming from someone who only played PSU for 2 years and then realized it was a joke. Most of the people that defend PSU/PSP have been playing it for at least double at this point.

coryjosephfritts
Nov 4, 2009, 12:49 PM
psu is a new evolution of pso i played since the dreamcast and you have to take it as they give it

its kinda like a band that goes through a new period and thought its different its what they are trying to show you and evolve too what they think is the next level

being a game designer i feel bad for everytime a fanboy begs for a remake of pso though they want to explore new ways of what they feel would be a better addition and all fanboys want is the same game they played...go play pso if youre not willing to run with the development of the series....and psu though somewhat broken in some aspects keeps me up at night playing and making new friends

though i dont want to seem like a psu fanboy i like phantasy star and thats that

Niered
Nov 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
psu is a new evolution of pso i played since the dreamcast and you have to take it as they give it

its kinda like a band that goes through a new period and thought its different its what they are trying to show you and evolve too what they think is the next level

being a game designer i feel bad for everytime a fanboy begs for a remake of pso though they want to explore new ways of what they feel would be a better addition and all fanboys want is the same game they played...go play pso if youre not willing to run with the development of the series....and psu though somewhat broken in some aspects keeps me up at night playing and making new friends

though i dont want to seem like a psu fanboy i like phantasy star and thats that

Heres the issue with that statement, and the issue I have with that statement every time someone says that people like me don't like PSU because its too different from PSO.

Thats simply, not the reason I hate PSU. Nor the reason that so many others hate it.

If PSU was as different as it is from PSO but still a good game, then I would still play and enjoy PSU. But thats the problem. PSU is not a good game. It got bad average to bad reviews when it came out, and it did so for good reason. The game is "cheap". Not cheap in difficulty, cheap in content. Theres only 4 bosses in the original PSU, thats the same amount of bosses in PSO, except that Sega needed more bosses, and instead of making more they simply reskinned the bosses to hell and back. PSU has had a "fake" level cap since day one. PSO never did. Almost every area in the game is a reskin of another area. Oh cool, another temple? Too bad it looks exactly like every other temple just with a new coat of paint.

If PSU was "just" different from PSO, then yes, you'd be right. But its not "just" different, its just bad. Its cheap on content, repetitive to a point of insanity, and downright bad.

The only reason that players of PSO want something more like PSO than PSU is because PSO is the only other ORPG that sega has made in the series. If you get given a cookie and a turd, and you eat both of them, and youve never had anything else from that chef but those two things, your going to want the cookie more than the turd.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
I like to think of PSZ as PSO with a Wild West/steam punk twist. I'll take it willingly but if I heard that PSP2 was coming out for the Western audiences in 4 months I'd totally foam at the mouth. And rob a bank for 60 bucks just so I can buy the game...and it's strategy guide if it ever comes out with one.

PSP2: The Final Fantasy 7 of Phantasy Star.

EDIT: I have to agree. There could have been SO much potential added to PSU. SO MUCH. But it wasn't. I think that ST kinda lost it's interest in it. But hopefully ST will take notes on PSP2 and make something more grandoise and head explodingly awesome that I will re-instate my account. The 2 reasons why I quit PSU was funds and...well...lack of interest. After a while it was like "Been there done that, made Vivienne my robotic meat sheild".

MrPOW
Nov 4, 2009, 02:01 PM
PSZ and PSP2 are going to be released so far apart there's no reason to not buy both of them if you like online PS games. Unless you are thinking about importing. PSP2 hasn't even been officially announced for NA yet.

That said, PSP2 will likely be a more full featured game. It will likely have more items, more areas, more customization than PSZ. It also will have a higher level cap and most people will get more playtime out of it I believe. PSP2 also has useful features like quick-swapping armor and weapons. One advantage PSZ has is it is probably easier to communicate online, however I believe unless you are playing with people on your friends list you are limited to preset phrases. Past that it just comes down to personal preference for the gameplay differences.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 02:23 PM
PSZ and PSP2 are going to be released so far apart there's no reason to not buy both of them if you like online PS games. Unless you are thinking about importing. PSP2 hasn't even been officially announced for NA yet.

That said, PSP2 will likely be a more full featured game. It will likely have more items, more areas, more customization than PSZ. It also will have a higher level cap and most people will get more playtime out of it I believe. PSP2 also has useful features like quick-swapping armor and weapons. One advantage PSZ has is it is probably easier to communicate online, however I believe unless you are playing with people on your friends list you are limited to preset phrases. Past that it just comes down to personal preference for the gameplay differences.

Guh you don't have to tell me that. I regret not buying that Rosetta Stone Japanese thing last December. At least now I woulda been like "Yea I can read the majority of it and know whats going on! Now I don't have to wait till the NA release! Hurrr durr!". But nope, spent it on a PS3. Now I got an English chick ready and WILLING to spoil the story along with rubbing it in my face that she's got the awesome Eva Plug Suits and Saber's outfit.

God what a whore...and no I'm not jealous!! *waits for his PSZ while pouting*

xBladeM6x
Nov 4, 2009, 02:27 PM
PS0 is going to awesome.--------->
_______________________________GET BOTH.
PSP2 is going to be awesome. ---->

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
PS0 is going to awesome.--------->
_______________________________GET BOTH.
PSP2 is going to be awesome. ---->

You know what else is awesome? Muramasa: The Demon Blade for the Wii. If you liked Odin Sphere you'll love this.

This'll help tide me over for a bit.

Akaimizu
Nov 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've been thinking about that Demon Blade game for the Wii. I've also been thinking about Trine for the PC. Decisions, decisions.

I already made my decisions and pre-orders for both PSZ and PSP2. And believe me, I'll find time to play both and then some.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 04:33 PM
Muramasa all the way. Its got an awesome story line and the combat...oh the combat...

Akaimizu
Nov 4, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah. Trine isn't really about Combat, even though the Sword action does make you feel powerful in the way they animate everything. Trine is more of an action-platform puzzler. And the three characters are sort of like the Lost Vikings of 16-bit fame. The exception is that many puzzles have multiple solutions and not just one like the Lost Vikings. It's also sort of a physics showcase since the advanced physics engine plays a big part in the puzzles.

zling
Nov 4, 2009, 04:54 PM
i heard it was really short

Akaimizu
Nov 4, 2009, 05:03 PM
I kind of heard that about both games. Thus my main comparison. Kind of like cool fun experiences that don't take very long to finish.

kirtblue
Nov 4, 2009, 11:14 PM
i gota agree here why would you only buy one its not as if they come out same day or anything

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 5, 2009, 05:42 PM
*Sits down in topic*

Saintdane
Nov 5, 2009, 07:25 PM
*Sits down in topic*

*sits down next to you* Hey brubby, what're we discussin'.

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 5, 2009, 08:22 PM

It seems to be a heated discussion on what is the better buy. PSZ or PSPortable 2.

Saintdane
Nov 5, 2009, 08:25 PM
It seems to be a heated discussion on what is the better buy. PSZ or PSPortable 2.

There were two PSPortables?

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 5, 2009, 08:31 PM
There were two PSPortables?

As of now, yes. PSPortable 2 is coming out (or already has come out not sure) in Japan.

alpha koing
Nov 5, 2009, 08:38 PM

*sits down with you guys*
sup guys whats goin on in this thread :-P

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 5, 2009, 08:41 PM
*sits down with you guys*
sup guys whats goin on in this thread :-P

*Points at topic title* >_>

@ Thread: I'm going to say PSZ. I heard REALLY bad things about PSPortable.

Saintdane
Nov 5, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna say PSZ. But I'm just biased.

Niered
Nov 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
*Points at topic title* >_>

@ Thread: I'm going to say PSZ. I heard REALLY bad things about PSPortable.

Oh cmon it aint so bad, its just PSU, without online support.

Wait...wow. That is bad. Really bad. They took the worst Phantasy Star game in forever and then got rid of online play? What were you thinking SEGA?

Oh well, its getting online with PSP2. Too bad its still basically PSU.

Xhero
Nov 5, 2009, 09:59 PM
Ive played PSU I tried to like it for Awhile but it just didint feel right even the character run wierd compared to PSO I didint like the game flat out PSO was Simple good and A cool story from a game I cant even play for an hour to another game I used to cut shcool to play over +1,000 I just hope that they really make a true sequel to PSO What happened to Ragol Did Pioneer 2 ever manged to land the Saga Continues!!!!!!

I ask myself?
If you make something Great why Ruin it!

cApNhOwDy
Nov 6, 2009, 12:20 AM
If you have both systems, obviously get both games. But if I had to choose, you'd better believe that I'm going to choose Phantasy Star Zero.

kirtblue
Nov 6, 2009, 05:18 AM
the demo for psp2 was released recently it can be imported on dec 3 release date

so even if we get it 3 months later that means psz will have been out for over 5 months

why not just get both?

pso_crash
Nov 6, 2009, 05:33 AM
If you get given a cookie and a turd, and you eat both of them, and youve never had anything else from that chef but those two things, your going to want the cookie more than the turd.

This made me lol pretty hard

Kishiin
Nov 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
At this point its better to wait for ps zero, since despite (some of) the balancing issues that portable 1 addressed, its better to stay with PSU unless you have a fervent desire..

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 6, 2009, 05:09 PM
Oh cmon it aint so bad, its just PSU, without online support.

Wait...wow. That is bad. Really bad. They took the worst Phantasy Star game in forever and then got rid of online play? What were you thinking SEGA?

Oh well, its getting online with PSP2. Too bad its still basically PSU.

You sir, are the greatest poster on this site.

Niered
Nov 6, 2009, 05:13 PM
You sir, are the greatest poster on this site.

Yeah, I know. You know what else? I'm the most humble poster here too. Just ask anyone and they'll be like, Damn, that guy's humble.

What can I say?

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know. You know what else? I'm the most humble poster here too. Just ask anyone and they'll be like, Damn, that guy's humble.

What can I say?

O I C wut u did thar?

@TC: Seriously though, stay away from PSPortable. PSZ ftw. :-D

Quintus_The_Force
Nov 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
Heres the issue with that statement, and the issue I have with that statement every time someone says that people like me don't like PSU because its too different from PSO.

Thats simply, not the reason I hate PSU. Nor the reason that so many others hate it.

If PSU was as different as it is from PSO but still a good game, then I would still play and enjoy PSU. But thats the problem. PSU is not a good game. It got bad average to bad reviews when it came out, and it did so for good reason. The game is "cheap". Not cheap in difficulty, cheap in content. Theres only 4 bosses in the original PSU, thats the same amount of bosses in PSO, except that Sega needed more bosses, and instead of making more they simply reskinned the bosses to hell and back. PSU has had a "fake" level cap since day one. PSO never did. Almost every area in the game is a reskin of another area. Oh cool, another temple? Too bad it looks exactly like every other temple just with a new coat of paint.

If PSU was "just" different from PSO, then yes, you'd be right. But its not "just" different, its just bad. Its cheap on content, repetitive to a point of insanity, and downright bad.

The only reason that players of PSO want something more like PSO than PSU is because PSO is the only other ORPG that sega has made in the series. If you get given a cookie and a turd, and you eat both of them, and youve never had anything else from that chef but those two things, your going to want the cookie more than the turd.

Owned! :trout:

kirtblue
Nov 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
damn that niered guy is humble

Niered
Nov 6, 2009, 08:43 PM
damn that niered guy is humble

AHAHAHA!

Wow, I really didn't expect anyone to actually take me up on that, thanks.

kirtblue
Nov 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
AHAHAHA!

Wow, I really didn't expect anyone to actually take me up on that, thanks.

no worries dude but if you liked that one you should see the last post i put in what will you name your first character thread

Saintdane
Nov 6, 2009, 11:50 PM
Why is this topic still alive? I thought PSZ would have completely dominated by now.

kirtblue
Nov 7, 2009, 12:11 AM
Why is this topic still alive? I thought PSZ would have completely dominated by now.

na psp2 demo just came out a few days ago and i think game comes out dec 3rd so this thread probably gunna see alot of posts

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 7, 2009, 02:37 PM

Your siggy scares me. That monster is fuckin' terrifying.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 02:57 PM
Your siggy scares me. That monster is fuckin' terrifying.

You bet it is. Screw your pet Rappies, I'm getting a Hildetorr.

Niered
Nov 7, 2009, 03:09 PM
You bet it is. Screw your pet Rappies, I'm getting a Hildetorr.

I should hope you arent letting your kids play with it.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
I should hope you arent letting your kids play with it.

Sure I let kids play with it. He throws them up in the air like a carnival game. He even catches them......most of the time. ^^;

Niered
Nov 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
Sure I let kids play with it. He throws them up in the air like a carnival game. He even catches them......most of the time. ^^;

But if he even so much as breathes on them their dead!

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 03:43 PM
But if he even so much as breathes on them their dead!

That's a risk I'm willing to take. We'll just give them lots of dark resist. Problem solved. 8-)

Niered
Nov 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
That's a risk I'm willing to take. We'll just give them lots of dark resist. Problem solved. 8-)

It just takes one time for that dark resist to fail and SHWOOOOM timmy is a corpse.
Better give em some scape's just in case.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 04:33 PM
It just takes one time for that dark resist to fail and SHWOOOOM timmy is a corpse.
Better give em some scape's just in case.

But then I'd have to go out of my way to find a whole bunch of them. It'd be so much easier to just make them sign a waver.