PDA

View Full Version : Ramarls

fireant
Nov 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Did anyone play as a Ramarl on the Japanese version and has some thoughts on them? Do they far well with the rest of the classes.?

Also I love the new look ans the new gunslashes :D

Niered
Nov 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm playing as a RAmarl once I get the game, heres some information on them I dug up on PSUpedia:

HR - RAmar and RAmarl

The first of the Rangers, Humans again carry the more balanced stats. Accuracy is the stat for Rangers, and while Humans aren't as accurate as their robot compatriots they are better than every other group. TP is higher than you would expect, but this is to handle the use of Photon Arts. HP, Atp, and Dfp are better than a force (but that says very little), Tech is better than Casts (that says even less). So stat wise the Human Rangers are not much to look at. Unlike the Hunters, Rangers carry the 'Debuff' techs, Jellen and Zalure. To go with the collection of Attack and Healing techs.
Start of the game they are at 8th and 4th (respectively) with combined stats. However at the end of the game both classes are at the bottom of the list, females doing only marginally better than males. They carry a vast arsenal of Ranged weapons, with Sabers and Spears making up their melee arsenal. They can also use Wands and some Slicers, but the stats make those a questionable choice.

This makes them sound worthless, but it must be made VERY APPARENT that the author is basing this off of total stat points at the end of the game. This isn't a very accurate system for a class tier because the simple fact is that in PSO, PSU, and PSZ stats are not weighted the same way. For instance, one point in ATA in PSO was "worth" considerably more than one point of ATP. So using this method as a system for class tier's is extremely unreliable.

That said, I look forward to playing a RAmarl. Honestly, the trade of Shifta/deband for the inferior Jellen/Zalure is annoying, but not game breaking. Also, having the best Resta in the ranger class will be nice.

EDIT: Also, thats before material usage.

Akaimizu
Nov 5, 2009, 02:47 PM
The Jellen and Zalure isn't bad. Remember that we're back to PSO standards on them. It's just a fun thing to spray, tag, and forget. However, I do have to admit. I tend to love using Mechguns in this game, so that mid-range aspect does help out. As a ranger, one of the easiest roles to do (and if you aren't a cast, is monster punishment and control. Utilize the Trapvision items, you wont run out. Trapvision lasts and extra, extra, extra long time (like the gum commercials).) So one thing you could do primary, with the long range, is be the prime trap activator. Enemy traps can be used against the enemy, they are set off either by you getting too close, or you hitting them with ranged. If you use mid-range guns and dance around your enemies, you're in good position to use debuffs.

The pallette limitation is a bit of work, but that does indeed mean that good party cooperation where people start to take on specific roles is more paramount. So if the force wants to concentrate on attack techs and healing, the ranger is given the option to be the debuffer and the hunter the temporary buffer. Or the force can take one of the buff jobs from another.

While the force has access to all techs, the pallette limitations really promote the idea of the Force user off-loading one of their capabilities to another. Everybody has access to some of all 3 combat types, so the idea of balancing and shifting roles, to accomodate pallettes, are good team practice.

There are shortcuts to use certain items. Shortcuts to change weapons. But there is no good shortcut to use techs not in the palette.

fireant
Nov 5, 2009, 02:59 PM
Good point the Wiki entry is all about stats. If i remember right jellen was realy nice in PSO and i saw its harder to select techs from the menu in this game so it may be a good change.

Yep I’m still going to be a ramarl especially after I saw a video of a PA were the player shot everything around her then tossed a grenade at a monster.

Niered
Nov 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry, I should clarify my statement. Yes, Jellen and Zalure are awesome, but obviously if I had to choose between the 2 sets I'd take Shifta/Deband. Still, not gamebreaking obviously and Jellen and Zalure were incredibly effective at higher levels in PSO and I can only assume that will stay the same in PSZ.

landman
Nov 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
My first character was a RAmarl, and all techs and photon arts were obscured by resta, I only expended my PP on resta, so I'm not sure if it is worth playing as them, I will try a ranger CAST in the PAL cartridge, I had lots of fun with HUcast as my second character, and now main character, the only one that has reached Super Hard dificulty. Spending PP on nothing else but Photon Arts alows you to use them more eficiently, as a tech caster you try to save them for resta, resta, resta and resta...

fireant
Nov 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
The Jellen and Zalure isn't bad. Remember that we're back to PSO standards on them. It's just a fun thing to spray, tag, and forget. However, I do have to admit. I tend to love using Mechguns in this game, so that mid-range aspect does help out. As a ranger, one of the easiest roles to do (and if you aren't a cast, is monster punishment and control. Utilize the Trapvision items, you wont run out. Trapvision lasts and extra, extra, extra long time (like the gum commercials).) So one thing you could do primary, with the long range, is be the prime trap activator. Enemy traps can be used against the enemy, they are set off either by you getting too close, or you hitting them with ranged. If you use mid-range guns and dance around your enemies, you're in good position to use debuffs.

The pallette limitation is a bit of work, but that does indeed mean that good party cooperation where people start to take on specific roles is more paramount. So if the force wants to concentrate on attack techs and healing, the ranger is given the option to be the debuffer and the hunter the temporary buffer. Or the force can take one of the buff jobs from another.

While the force has access to all techs, the pallette limitations really promote the idea of the Force user off-loading one of their capabilities to another. Everybody has access to some of all 3 combat types, so the idea of balancing and shifting roles, to accomodate pallettes, are good team practice.

There are shortcuts to use certain items. Shortcuts to change weapons. But there is no good shortcut to use techs not in the palette.

Thanks for all that information. As odd as it is iuse mechingun and debuffs and a guntehcer so i get what you are saying about a mid range game.

If i may ask do gunslashes work well for the ranger class? I was think about useing them in debuffs when i was in mid to close range of the enemy and useing a rifle at long range.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
My main reason for playin as a RAmarl is that durin PSO I had fun playin with one. I don't care about stats, what teir they are, or what kinda techs they use. All I know is that I had alot of fun with em and I'm gonna have fun playin as one when I get PSZ. Also the look cool with that military outfit they be rockin.

Akaimizu
Nov 5, 2009, 03:37 PM
"If i may ask do gunslashes work well for the ranger class? I was think about useing them in debuffs when i was in mid to close range of the enemy and useing a rifle at long range."

I really never went the Gunslash route. I haven't really found ones that are that strong, either. Easier to find a strong melee weapon (I prefer the sweeping multi-foe hitting kind) and good guns separately. When using a Gunslash, the weapon behaves kind of like a sword when just using the attack buttons. It shoots two bullets like a level 21-30 crossbow when holding the strafe button. The only aspect of the gun portion of the gunslash is that you can't really do combos with it. No (weak, weak, strong) stuff there. It basically gives you a single weapon to have both melee and ranged options, but I consider them (the ones I found) weaker versions of what you can get independantly. A gun, or a melee weapon, have full abilities to 3-hit combo. Gunslashes only have it with the melee portion.

On the other hand, switching weapons is not as convenient as the PSU/PSP variety, so some will argue for how Gunslashes fit in the gameplay. I wont argue against it, as it does seem they can have their place at least throughout various levels of gameplay. Can't speak for endgame, though.

One change aspect here is that weapons with elements always have a chance to land the element on a creature. You don't have a *special* button to use it. Regular and hard attacks will administer it too, so it's possible both forms of the gunslash can be used to administer the effect. Instead, a weapon can have a special PA attack that isn't an element but a special manuever or combo, activated by charging the normal attack command.

kirtblue
Nov 5, 2009, 04:18 PM
personally lack of shifta and deband is kinda a deal breaker for me i love using shifta then breaking out some mechguns but no loss i only get 3 characters anyway so ill go with my second choice and play a racaseal

Saintdane
Nov 5, 2009, 07:58 PM
The one thing I got mad at about RAmarls in PSZ is the fact that the changed her handgun animation.

Radori Nighthawk
Nov 5, 2009, 08:30 PM
The one thing I got mad at about RAmarls in PSZ is the fact that the changed her handgun animation.

Agreed. :)

I wonder who has the best stat growth potential? I'm guessing HUnewm?

Zero Revenge
Nov 6, 2009, 01:08 AM

What's the new animation? :o

Niered
Nov 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
Agreed. :)

I wonder who has the best stat growth potential? I'm guessing HUnewm?

If you simply add the numbers, its Hunewhearls.

However, gauging it that way is rather silly. With that kind of system in place you would assume that Newman Forces (who take up the back end of the stat growth chart) are virtually worthless. This isnt the case though, as anyone here who has played the endgame of PSZ will tell you that forces are the most powerful class at that point.

kirtblue
Nov 6, 2009, 05:23 AM
why do you gotta play the character with the best stats

why dont you just play with the ones you want

im not even gunna look at stats till its time to manage materials

why not try the same

fireant
Nov 6, 2009, 11:04 AM
"If i may ask do gunslashes work well for the ranger class? I was think about useing them in debuffs when i was in mid to close range of the enemy and useing a rifle at long range."

I really never went the Gunslash route. I haven't really found ones that are that strong, either. Easier to find a strong melee weapon (I prefer the sweeping multi-foe hitting kind) and good guns separately. When using a Gunslash, the weapon behaves kind of like a sword when just using the attack buttons. It shoots two bullets like a level 21-30 crossbow when holding the strafe button. The only aspect of the gun portion of the gunslash is that you can't really do combos with it. No (weak, weak, strong) stuff there. It basically gives you a single weapon to have both melee and ranged options, but I consider them (the ones I found) weaker versions of what you can get independantly. A gun, or a melee weapon, have full abilities to 3-hit combo. Gunslashes only have it with the melee portion.

On the other hand, switching weapons is not as convenient as the PSU/PSP variety, so some will argue for how Gunslashes fit in the gameplay. I wont argue against it, as it does seem they can have their place at least throughout various levels of gameplay. Can't speak for endgame, though.

One change aspect here is that weapons with elements always have a chance to land the element on a creature. You don't have a *special* button to use it. Regular and hard attacks will administer it too, so it's possible both forms of the gunslash can be used to administer the effect. Instead, a weapon can have a special PA attack that isn't an element but a special manuever or combo, activated by charging the normal attack command.

Ouch only one shot i was thinking was a 3 saber like combo and a 3 hit gun combo thank you for clearing that up. I do want to try what you said about the elements with the crossbow like gunshot.

You should write a guide :) What weapons and PAs do you like for the RAmarl class?

Zero Revenge
Nov 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ouch only one shot i was thinking was a 3 saber like combo and a 3 hit gun combo thank you for clearing that up. I do want to try what you said about the elements with the crossbow like gunshot.

You should write a guide :) What weapons and PAs do you like for the RAmarl class?

I'm pretty sure that i've seen people do Slash-slash-shoot with the Gunblade before online.

Rakath Talyn
Nov 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm playing as a RAmarl once I get the game, heres some information on them I dug up on PSUpedia:

HR - RAmar and RAmarl

The first of the Rangers, Humans again carry the more balanced stats. Accuracy is the stat for Rangers, and while Humans aren't as accurate as their robot compatriots they are better than every other group. TP is higher than you would expect, but this is to handle the use of Photon Arts. HP, Atp, and Dfp are better than a force (but that says very little), Tech is better than Casts (that says even less). So stat wise the Human Rangers are not much to look at. Unlike the Hunters, Rangers carry the 'Debuff' techs, Jellen and Zalure. To go with the collection of Attack and Healing techs.
Start of the game they are at 8th and 4th (respectively) with combined stats. However at the end of the game both classes are at the bottom of the list, females doing only marginally better than males. They carry a vast arsenal of Ranged weapons, with Sabers and Spears making up their melee arsenal. They can also use Wands and some Slicers, but the stats make those a questionable choice.

This makes them sound worthless, but it must be made VERY APPARENT that the author is basing this off of total stat points at the end of the game. This isn't a very accurate system for a class tier because the simple fact is that in PSO, PSU, and PSZ stats are not weighted the same way. For instance, one point in ATA in PSO was "worth" considerably more than one point of ATP. So using this method as a system for class tier's is extremely unreliable.

That said, I look forward to playing a RAmarl. Honestly, the trade of Shifta/deband for the inferior Jellen/Zalure is annoying, but not game breaking. Also, having the best Resta in the ranger class will be nice.

EDIT: Also, thats before material usage.

I wrote that, and yes it is before Material usage and without info on how the animations work on attacks. I was planning on updating it on the 10th/12th once I got the game. (I played a friend's copy for like 20 minutes and he only uses CASTs, so my view of the game hasn't been that much).

I forgot about material usage, that's on me. The other stuff I would add/edit as I could from videos (but there aren't enough to really give a lot of gauge). Once I get the game I plan on rotating my third slot around for multiple character types (both to test out classes and hopefully I can claim multiple Heaven Elements... if not then just to test character elements).

Sorry if it seemed biased, but I only had the info available to me.

Arikado
Nov 6, 2009, 11:26 AM
Stat dosen't matter much in PS games, most characters when leveled are overpowered.

So yeah, if I was OP, i'd go for the character that's more appealing to me.

Fashion > Stats baby!

As one of my friend once said, Fashion counts for 50% of the battle. :P

Zero Revenge
Nov 6, 2009, 11:28 AM
It's true though. What does it matter killing Dark Flaz if you can't flaunt it later?

Or the subject being sidetracked you wore black socks with white shoes...

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/ZeroRevenge/poster10793378.jpg

Niered
Nov 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
I wrote that, and yes it is before Material usage and without info on how the animations work on attacks. I was planning on updating it on the 10th/12th once I got the game. (I played a friend's copy for like 20 minutes and he only uses CASTs, so my view of the game hasn't been that much).

I forgot about material usage, that's on me. The other stuff I would add/edit as I could from videos (but there aren't enough to really give a lot of gauge). Once I get the game I plan on rotating my third slot around for multiple character types (both to test out classes and hopefully I can claim multiple Heaven Elements... if not then just to test character elements).

Thats fine, I wasn't trying to fault you, I was just pointing out that stats are weighted differently in PSZ :P

Rakath Talyn
Nov 6, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thats fine, I wasn't trying to fault you, I was just pointing out that stats are weighted differently in PSZ :P

Yeah, I do plan to focus more on attack animations/cast times when I can find them out. As they are far more useful info to have. Since those mean more to FO than stats, and the range and attack speed mean more to RA than stats (not as much as FO, who need only three stats in the long run).

I wrote what I did as there was literally nothing there before I wrote that stuff.

fireant
Nov 9, 2009, 12:10 AM

Well what you said is kind to true, kind of low in the stats department. Any class that can heal has a little lower stats than cast or there would no reason to be a cast without better combat stats.

Fashion > Stats baby!

As one of my friend once said, Fashion counts for 50% of the battle. :P
Thats ture why spend a lot of time playing a game if there character is unappealing for a little more damage.