PDA

View Full Version : How many players do we expect to have online??

Itchee
Nov 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yes, I know....thats a very open-ended question, but im curious as to how many people will actually be playing this online. Now, i know perfectly well that everyone here will be online ( and I cant wait to see you guys in game )...but what kind of overall headcount can we expect online for the NA version (at launch? 3mo? 6mo?)? Any way to determine some sort of a figure based on current JP numbers? Personally, im hoping for a nice round number...somewhere in the ballpark of eleventybillion. ^_^
Being highly disappointed with the amount of people that were willing to put in the effort to play PS:P online, im hoping to see a more robust online community for PSZ considering it has proper infrastructure support.
Anyway, sorry for the lack of a decent topic...I just wanna see some numbers so I can get worked up properly and start foaming at the mouth.
Thx.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 11:44 AM
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Evicous
Nov 7, 2009, 01:33 PM
Enough that when you decide you want to play a random game online, you will join a game in less than 1 minute.

That's my guess anyways.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 01:35 PM
Enough that when you decide you want to play a random game online, you will join a game in less than 1 minute.

That's my guess anyways.

So does this mean you don't have to have friend codes?

Java378
Nov 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
No friend codes needed. But they help.

My guess: A LOT!

Evicous
Nov 7, 2009, 01:56 PM
So does this mean you don't have to have friend codes?
Not to play a game with people, no. But to use the Visual chat rather than the context menu/premade response thing friend codes are required.

kirtblue
Nov 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
ps:p online play is a local thing if you dont have players online its because they are more than 50 feet away from you

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 03:30 PM
Not to play a game with people, no. But to use the Visual chat rather than the context menu/premade response thing friend codes are required.

Well that is good to know.

Squirrel3D
Nov 7, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well that is good to know.

Well we won't be too far away since we both live in maryland.

Saintdane
Nov 7, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well we won't be too far away since we both live in maryland.

So we do. Do you live in Baltimore city or county? I'm in the county.

kirtblue
Nov 7, 2009, 03:59 PM
that only applys to psp version

Itchee
Nov 7, 2009, 05:52 PM
If youre referencing my comment about PS:P and the state of its online play...yes, you can play online with the help of a few 3rd party wifi tunneling apps meant to circumvent ad-hoc limitations (mainly XLink Kai and the PS3's Ad-Hoc party app). But again, its a pain in the ass to have to go throu that trouble to play with someone whos not sitting next to you and in most situations, people have no idea they exist.
I was super hyped when PS:P came out, but was utterly disappointed to see the ghost town of an arena they had over at XLink...perhaps PS3's Ad-Hoc party was/is better...but I dont have a PS3.

At any rate...im ready for a true portable with proper infrastructure.

kirtblue
Nov 7, 2009, 06:02 PM
If youre referencing my comment about PS:P and the state of its online play...yes, you can play online with the help of a few 3rd party wifi tunneling apps meant to circumvent ad-hoc limitations (mainly XLink Kai and the PS3's Ad-Hoc party app). But again, its a pain in the ass to have to go throu that trouble to play with someone whos not sitting next to you and in most situations, people have no idea they exist.
I was super hyped when PS:P came out, but was utterly disappointed to see the ghost town of an arena they had over at XLink...perhaps PS3's Ad-Hoc party was/is better...but I dont have a PS3.

At any rate...im ready for a true portable with proper infrastructure.

i think that now the demo for psp2 is out if you download that you going to be able to 1 find players easily but 2 wont have to worry about who is using what 3rd party apps

Itchee
Nov 7, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yea, ive heard about PS:P2 and its infrastructure....and ill undoubtedly get rather excited about that when the time is right....however, im not a fan of short demos (especially in languages I cant read) and there hasnt been any mention of a release date here in NA. So for now, theres two portable options in my eyes:
PS:P which I do love, but is lacking easy to use online functionality and PSZ which looks to have everything I want.
(That being said, if anyone reading this still uses PS:P + Kai and wants to play...hit me up! ^_^)

Kestrelmonster
Nov 7, 2009, 06:29 PM
No, not really. If you want a quick game with strangers, you just go on wifi and you'll be put into a group with other players. But you can't use the pictochat feature.

kirtblue
Nov 7, 2009, 06:47 PM
No, not really. If you want a quick game with strangers, you just go on wifi and you'll be put into a group with other players. But you can't use the pictochat feature.

dude we talking about psp vs ps0 online options
*trying my best to not sound like a jerk*plaese keep up if you gunna post something

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
ps:p online play is a local thing if you dont have players online its because they are more than 50 feet away from you

completely not true this game is 100% wi-fi compatible and will hav the option of online friend codes and random game joining

EDIT:wait does this mean psz or psp (i feel so dumb if its psp)

Chozobill
Nov 7, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'll be online :). Granted, I'm new to the boards, but I agree that the online (even w/fc) will be much better than PS:P. It's too bad because PS:P is a lot of fun. It just shows you the joy of PS is playing with others.

Evicous
Nov 7, 2009, 11:46 PM
dude we talking about psp vs ps0 online options
*trying my best to not sound like a jerk*plaese keep up if you gunna post something
Dude, sometimes people like to answer the TC's question. *trying to sound like a jerk because I am like that* Please remember the world doesn't revolve around you and your conversation when you post something.

kirtblue
Nov 8, 2009, 03:06 AM
completely not true this game is 100% wi-fi compatible and will hav the option of online friend codes and random game joining

EDIT:wait does this mean psz or psp (i feel so dumb if its psp)
dont feel dumb but yes we was talking about psp

Dude, sometimes people like to answer the TC's question. *trying to sound like a jerk because I am like that* Please remember the world doesn't revolve around you and your conversation when you post something.
i never pretended the world revolved around me nor did i act like it i simply stated that if want to post in a thread and not look like an idiot then its in your best interest to keep up with the conversation

*edit* you can try and sound like whatever you want but it dont change the fact that its not who you really are do yourself a favor be yourself and grow up

Zero Revenge
Nov 8, 2009, 03:19 AM
Alright. Everyone shut up, don't post for a week.

There.

pso_crash
Nov 8, 2009, 03:23 AM

Meh, it's the internet. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. I'm sure kirt had the best of intentions.

kirtblue
Nov 8, 2009, 03:32 AM
Meh, it's the internet. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. I'm sure kirt had the best of intentions.

i was i even put emphasis on the fact i wasnt trying to be a dick about it just trying to be genuinely helpful but this guy has been messing with me in multiple threads i dunno who pissed in his cereal but it wasnt me

pso_crash
Nov 8, 2009, 03:41 AM
i was i even put emphasis on the fact i wasnt trying to be a dick about it just trying to be genuinely helpful but this guy has been messing with me in multiple threads i dunno who pissed in his cereal but it wasnt me

haha, kk, I don't know. just don't sweat it I guess.

P.S. I'm gonna be online for sure.

Arikado
Nov 8, 2009, 07:42 AM
PSP:2 is not gonna come out until 2011 in english like.

Look at Sega's marketing strategy for PSZ, came out December '08, we getting it on November '09.

So you'll import it and spoil yourself with a game you can't understand the language? Sure you do that.

kirtblue
Nov 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
PSP:2 is not gonna come out until 2011 in english like.

Look at Sega's marketing strategy for PSZ, came out December '08, we getting it on November '09.

So you'll import it and spoil yourself with a game you can't understand the language? Sure you do that.

you cant overlook the fact that the first psp came to n.a. only 7 months after the japanese release and it was in march to boot so there might be hope

Arikado
Nov 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
you cant overlook the fact that the first psp came to n.a. only 7 months after the japanese release and it was in march to boot so there might be hopeThat's a nice comeback man, well i'm hoping for an early PSP:2 release, of course i'll buy it and a PSP, even if it's crap I mean, it's Phantasy Star!

But yeah, didn't know PSP came out quickly like that, very good news for the PSP:2 community.

redking
Nov 9, 2009, 06:25 PM
i'm so going to play online when i buy my wifi router

kirtblue
Nov 9, 2009, 09:28 PM
That's a nice comeback man, well i'm hoping for an early PSP:2 release, of course i'll buy it and a PSP, even if it's crap I mean, it's Phantasy Star!

But yeah, didn't know PSP came out quickly like that, very good news for the PSP:2 community.

thanx doing what i can with what i got anyway psp2 looks good i liked the first one much better than the console counterparts but it lacked online so this could turn out to be a good addition to the ps family unlike the retarded brother in law that was the console versions of psu

Yusaku_Kudou
Nov 10, 2009, 02:02 AM
I have PSP2 pre-ordered (I *can* read JP), but I never got around to playing PSZ. If you guys here rant and rave about it I may change my mind. I haven't used my DS for anything but an alarm clock for two years (best damn alarm clock ever). We'll see though, I may be too busy with PSP2's and PSU's online.

Gilbert001
Nov 10, 2009, 02:04 AM
I have PSP2 pre-ordered (I *can* read JP), but I never got around to playing PSZ. If you guys here rant and rave about it I may change my mind. I haven't used my DS for anything but an alarm clock for two years (best damn alarm clock ever). We'll see though, I may be too busy with PSP2's and PSU's online.

Let the ranting and raving begin!