PDA

View Full Version : Moby

MasterJoel
Feb 23, 2003, 09:25 PM
am i the only nerd on this message board who likes moby? yeah, go me!

BlackRose
Feb 23, 2003, 10:13 PM
I like moby, but I'm not really a nerd... so I guess you might be the only one...

pixelate
Feb 23, 2003, 11:08 PM
His music is iffy. Some's good. Some's really bad.

Auracom
Feb 23, 2003, 11:52 PM
Moby,he's cool with me.
But i ain't no nerd! *shakes fists*

Axispoint
Feb 24, 2003, 12:27 AM
I used to like him, but I don't like him or his music now (and this is considering the fact I still post on his message boards...well, kind of anyway...I went off on some morons end of last week, so some people are prolly mad at me, not that I care). I hate his political views and for some reason, to me, his music is just to depressing.

Now about the only music I listen to that's somewhat like his music is Paul Oakenfold.

CajunSamurai
Feb 24, 2003, 12:41 AM
I used to be a huge fan, but I've since discovered that most of his music is pretty lacking in most departments compared to many other songs of the same genre. He's an innovator and a pioneer of dance music, but it's a bit sad to me that most people would never know he had a rich history of dance music... He just seems like an electronic popstar these days. I took one listen to his newest album, "18", and haven't listened to it again since.
Also... He has a pretty terrible singing voice. His album "Animal Rights" was GREAT in my opinion, consisting almost entirely of metal and a few ambient tracks, but... his singing, make it STOP! Yeah, he's not the WORST singer in the world, but he'd be much, much better off just sticking to songwriting.
However, it shows just how INCREDIBLY versatile the man really is. He can sing, he can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, he can DJ and does ALL his own mastering, mixing and engineering... THAT, to me, is talent, in this commercial, mediocre era of music. He's certainly been a bit of a role model to me musically, and I have great respect for him. I still consider his album "Play" to be one of the finest around.

But generally, I don't find his songs to be very complex or complicated, which is usually how I prefer my music. What I find him most guilty of is using that same damn soft synth string instrument in so many of his songs. I SWEAR, I heard it in most of the songs on 18. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
This simplicity has its ups and downs of course... Sometimes I don't WANT to listen a very complex piece of music. "Play" is such a hypnotic album for me, which is one reason why I love it so much. "Animal Rights" has a similar but darker effect on me, when I can get past his singing voice. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Of course, not all of his music is this way.

Another thing to note... He's one of the most outspoken and intelligent people in the music industry, and I respect him greatly for that. Any musician that publicly disses Eminem is okay in my book!
Paraphrasing Moby on losing to the Baha Men for dance album of the year a few years ago at the Grammy awards: "Isn't losing to one hit wonders what the Grammies is all about?" And he's made MANY bold political and religious statements as well... most of which I tend to agree with, although he can be a bit too liberal at times. I admire that.

MasterJoel
Feb 24, 2003, 03:06 AM
sorry, i didn't intend to call anyone a nerd... anyhow, i agree his voice is iffy at best, and i 100% agree that his politics suck, but he is smart versitile, and to be honest, i find his music the antithesis of depressing! yes, i liked his eminem shirt when he hosted snl, that was great. has anyone seen his tv show on mtv? i don't have cable!

CajunSamurai
Feb 24, 2003, 04:37 AM
Play, Animal Rights and Everything Is Wrong are my antidepressants of choice. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And yeah, I've seen his MTV show a few times... Senor Moby's House of Music or something like that. Seems to be tucked away in their crappy lineup of shows though, on at bizarre hours and such. :/
Really interesting show though, he basically VJ's his choice of music videos which are quite often interesting and unusual.

KodiaX987
Feb 24, 2003, 08:25 AM
He's got a coupla good ones and a coupla bad ones. At least a good part of his stuff sounds different. And hey, a good lot of it really calms down the mind. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Guile
Feb 24, 2003, 08:54 PM
Don't listen to him but don't hate him..
I think he is weird