PDA

View Full Version : Does PSZ support WPA/WPA2 when played on DSi?

Vernon12345
Nov 9, 2009, 12:30 AM
Just curious - does anyone know if the English versions of PSZ will support WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption when played on the DSi? The game's spent so long in localisation that I'm hoping they added support for WPA/WPA2 once the DSi launched, but I've not heard anything about it thus far. Anyone care to confirm/deny?

RedSwirl
Nov 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
Forgot that this game originally came out before the DSi. That would suck if it didn't support WPA though.

Quintus_The_Force
Nov 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yup, the Japanese version doesnt, but I hope they altered the NA version to support it, since theyve had all this time to correct it....

Im tired of DSiWare games connecting Online but not any of my DS games..

If the NA version doesnt support WPA im going to be mad > : [

GUN
Nov 10, 2009, 08:07 AM
Can anyone lucky enough to have the NA version in their hands confirm this one way or another?

Zantra
Nov 10, 2009, 05:09 PM
It doesn't, I have the game, and a DSi.

kirtblue
Nov 10, 2009, 06:51 PM

thanx for answering that though i have to say that really sucks it doesnt

Vernon12345
Nov 10, 2009, 08:58 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a legitimate copy, yeah? I know that copies running on DSi flashcarts won't show the DSi-specific features is all. Like I said, I'm not accusing you of anything, it's just that no WAP/WPA2 support is gonna make life hard for me so I wanna make exactly sure.

Zantra
Nov 10, 2009, 10:31 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a legitimate copy, yeah? I know that copies running on DSi flashcarts won't show the DSi-specific features is all. Like I said, I'm not accusing you of anything, it's just that no WAP/WPA2 support is gonna make life hard for me so I wanna make exactly sure.

Uh, yes, yes it is. I went to the Event in SF, and got a free copy. I have a whole thread about it.

Vernon12345
Nov 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
Er.. I probably should have noticed that, especially as I posted in said thread. Sorry about that, I'm no good with names. Oh well, there's always hope for the European/Oceanic release, I guess... ?

RedSwirl
Nov 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
Looks like I'll be buying a DS USB Wi-Fi adapter sooner than I thought.

pinkace
Nov 11, 2009, 09:09 PM
Who still uses WPA? Just use MAC authentication. It is much easier. and much safer. and by safer, i mean FOOLPROOF.

darthplagis
Nov 12, 2009, 01:30 AM
most modern routers allow user set up with the internal software, all you do is flip the unit over and enter the settings it gives you on the bottom in your browser, then you can configure your router.

if not...... what kind of stone age internets are you using? LOL

yeah it sucks that WEP is the basic DS method, but its not that bad to set up

CAMPSO
Nov 12, 2009, 02:40 AM
That fact that PSZ in general doesnt support WPA is a problem for me. Is there any way to get around this?

Hero_Of_Fate
Nov 12, 2009, 03:27 AM
That fact that PSZ in general doesnt support WPA is a problem for me. Is there any way to get around this?

Other than changing to WEP Security or buying a Nintendo WFC dongle? No.

pinkace
Nov 28, 2009, 10:10 AM

MAC Authentication dammit!!!

Randomness
Nov 28, 2009, 10:18 AM
MAC Authentication dammit!!!

That's not foolproof, btw. Its possible to change a MAC address. But it would be pretty close.

Trina
Nov 28, 2009, 01:09 PM
There's no WPA. I just set my router to auth with a 64bit WEP key which works fine. I mean, it's not like there's a guy with the knowledge, software and hardware needed that's going to sit outside your house to hack into your wireless network anytime soon.

Pavichokche
Nov 28, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't work with WPA/WPA2, but the WiFi capabilities of the game seem (SEEM) better than some other games. Comparing it to pokemon platinum, PSZ seems to get a higher reception (3 bars anywhere in my room) than older games (varying a lot). This might not mean anything though...

On another note, I'm not sure if they will ever be able to develop a game that can support WPA/WPA2 networks, since that is a limitation of the DS... Perhaps the upcoming DSi-only games will be able to... lets hope for the best :D

psofan219
Nov 28, 2009, 06:07 PM
So, PSZ can't go on WiFi if it's played on a DSi?

pinkace
Nov 28, 2009, 07:17 PM
That's not foolproof, btw. Its possible to change a MAC address. But it would be pretty close.

It is the most secure choice, hands down. Nothing is completely unhackable. I am sure if the NSA wanted to break into my network they could.

joe_news
Nov 28, 2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like I'll be buying a DS USB Wi-Fi adapter sooner than I thought.

The official adapter has long been discontinued, so it might take a little searching, but trust me, hardware like that [which is pretty limited in function/number of ppl needed it] should be laying around at some retailer somewhere. I'd try Toys 'r Us and then EB Games and the like.

twiztidsinz
Nov 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Er.. I probably should have noticed that, especially as I posted in said thread. Sorry about that, I'm no good with names. Oh well, there's always hope for the European/Oceanic release, I guess... ?No DS or DS/DSi Hybrid game will EVER have WPA/WPA2 support since the DS/DSLite cannot support it.

Who still uses WPA? Just use MAC authentication. It is much easier. and much safer. and by safer, i mean FOOLPROOF.
It is the most secure choice, hands down. Nothing is completely unhackable. I am sure if the NSA wanted to break into my network they could.
Spoofing a MAC address is easier than cracking WPA.
I'm sure the 12 year old up the street from me could break into your network.

Looks like I'll be buying a DS USB Wi-Fi adapter sooner than I thought.Just use WEP.
Anyone who wants to get into your network will be able to given enough time (talking a few hours, not a week).
Use WEP with 128bit encryption if possible, set up MAC filtering (It's neither foolproof or secure on it's own, but it helps), disable SSID Broadcast (that shows your router publicly to allow easier connection) and UPnP.
It shouldn't take long to set up and you'll be just about as secure as you can possibly be, but the facts are neither WEP or WPA/WPA2 are 100% secure. The goal is to make it more trouble than it's worth to get in.

hardware like that [which is pretty limited in function/number of ppl needed it] should be laying around at some retailer somewhere. I'd try Toys 'r Us and then EB Games and the like.I went looking for one last year since I didn't have a wireless router, GameStop/EB Games was the first place I tried.
They had no new ones anywhere (the guy told me they sent them back when they were discontinued) and the few used ones they had in the system (none in 50 miles) were selling for the retail price of $49.95.
For less that price, I got a brand new wireless router -- my first Netgear. In the past I've always used Linksys, but I'm very happy with my Netgear.

Randomness
Nov 28, 2009, 11:07 PM
Spoofing a MAC address is easier than cracking WPA.
I'm sure the 12 year old up the street from me could break into your network.

I think the idea is that you set the router to ignore anything that's not from a trusted MAC address. Of course, there's still packet sniffing, so you need to have encryption. (Actually, not sure whether packets would have MAC address, haven't looked at one lately)

The odds of randomly spoofing a trusted MAC should be non-existent.

Not broadcasting SSID won't do you any good. Packet sniffing will pick up the network regardless, and is basic to set up. (No, seriously. USB adapter easy)

Sayl
Nov 28, 2009, 11:21 PM
So, PSZ can't go on WiFi if it's played on a DSi?

I have a DSi, as do someone I play with it works just fine. They are talking about more sophisticated security settings that the DSi allows but not the old DS.

twiztidsinz
Nov 28, 2009, 11:33 PM
I think the idea is that you set the router to ignore anything that's not from a trusted MAC address. Of course, there's still packet sniffing, so you need to have encryption. (Actually, not sure whether packets would have MAC address, haven't looked at one lately)

The odds of randomly spoofing a trusted MAC should be non-existent.That is why you don't do it randomly.
And yes, packets do contain MAC addresses.
To spoof a MAC address all you need to do is:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=395

“Listen” in on network traffic. Pick out the MAC address. This can be done with a plethora of freely available security tools, including Nmap.
Change your MAC address.You can spoof a MAC address when using Nmap with nothing more than a –spoof-mac command line option for Nmap itself to hide the true source of Nmap probes.

It doesn't take much technical know-how to do most of this stuff... just a few minutes to google and a little patience to read.

Not broadcasting SSID won't do you any good. Packet sniffing will pick up the network regardless, and is basic to set up. (No, seriously. USB adapter easy)That's why I never said it wouldn't be detected. And you're right, not broadcasting the SSID really doesn't provide any noticeable measure of security, but it's better than nothing.
The goal is to make it more difficult than it's worth.

If you already have a Wireless router, why spend $35 (I made a mistake earlier saying it was $49.95) on a WEP USB adapter? It just seems like a waste
(And for the record, any USB adapter will work if they support operating as a software Access Point, which can be difficult to find... but probably easier than a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB)