PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone getting frustrated with combat?

Sir_Green
Nov 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
To those hunters out there, do you find yourself having to run around in circles while clicking the left trigger just to get a good view of the enemy you're trying to hit?

This is especially frustrating to me when you're fighting big groups of enemies. And once you get hit while you're locked on and try to back up after the hit, it turns the camera around in the direction you're moving. ;_; I'm not trying to sound like a big baby or anything, but was anyone else hoping that combat would be...smoother?

...I'm getting used to it, though.

EDIT: I found out that it's easier to fight while you're NOT locked on. Excuse my complaining. x3

Pipiruu
Nov 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
Locking on seems to be a lot more useful to Forces who need to aim their techs.

It's certainly coming in handy for me~!

Sir_Green
Nov 11, 2009, 03:58 PM
Locking on seems to be a lot more useful to Forces who need to aim their techs.

It's certainly coming in handy for me~!

Locking on for ranged attacks, yeah. I found that out from using the gunslash.

Java378
Nov 11, 2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, as a force. But, I'll learn soon. It's day 0 anyways.

NVM, read tutorial and got the hang of combat.

Why did they disable the rangers from firing over caverns when birds can fly right over and attack you?

Sir_Green
Nov 11, 2009, 05:48 PM
Why did they disable the rangers from firing over caverns when birds can fly right over and attack you?

That's really stupid, yeah. And sometimes you get stuck in a corner when you're doing a photon art that makes you move.

Java378
Nov 11, 2009, 05:58 PM
An hour and 18 minutes in while equipping on the fly, none of my items could prevent the boss from killing the NPC and then me. lol

Arikado
Nov 11, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'll be playing this all night, offline, can't wait.

OH YEAH I'LL BE DRUNK TOO, HELL YES. :P

Pipiruu
Nov 11, 2009, 06:23 PM

Drunky, drunky, drunky~!

Java378
Nov 11, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm a force with daggers doing combos. After the 2nd hour it's pretty fun.

Bonus rooms are there to help. including rappies that give you extra exp when hit a la PSO.

Mike
Nov 11, 2009, 07:01 PM
Wait till you see the laser beams in some of the later levels.

Evicous
Nov 11, 2009, 07:10 PM
Bonus rooms are there to help. including rappies that give you extra exp when hit a la PSO.
Rappies gave extra exp when you hit them in PSO?

Java378
Nov 11, 2009, 07:15 PM
Well in PSO, they gave you extra meseta.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 11, 2009, 07:30 PM

Booze and Phantasy Star games always had a good mixture. Kinda like a Strawberry Daquiri

TacoGhost
Nov 11, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm not bothered by the camera. My problem seems to be in the timing of my attacks. I can do a 3 hit combo fine, but not when part of it connects with the enemy. Anyone else in this situation or should I feel silly?

Tetsaru
Nov 12, 2009, 02:23 AM
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want this game... I've been trying to look up gameplay videos on Youtube of the game, but something really bothers me (along with all the chatty dialogue scenes): is it the fact that the people posting their videos suck at combat, or is it just THAT slow? I see people doing saber combos that take a good 5 seconds or so to pull off, compared to a PSU or PSO saber combo that might take 2 to 3 seconds. I'm sorry, but that's the norm for combat in PSZ, I'll have to wait for PSP2 to hit stateside. I don't like it when my character has to make such deliberately retarded-granny-stuck-in-molasses-slow motions just to get a basic attack in. =/

kirtblue
Nov 12, 2009, 03:25 AM
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want this game... I've been trying to look up gameplay videos on Youtube of the game, but something really bothers me (along with all the chatty dialogue scenes): is it the fact that the people posting their videos suck at combat, or is it just THAT slow? I see people doing saber combos that take a good 5 seconds or so to pull off, compared to a PSU or PSO saber combo that might take 2 to 3 seconds. I'm sorry, but that's the norm for combat in PSZ, I'll have to wait for PSP2 to hit stateside. I don't like it when my character has to make such deliberately retarded-granny-stuck-in-molasses-slow motions just to get a basic attack in. =/

combat is fine but yes the huge amounts of dialogue is annoying they kinda over did it a LITTLE

Adriano
Nov 12, 2009, 03:48 AM

There are units that make your character attack faster. Well atleast with photon arts.
Art Compression.

therealAERO
Nov 12, 2009, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one fumbling around like a moron when it comes to controlling this game? And on top of that trying to use both top triggers and firmly hold the DS is murder on your wrists(well mine anyway)

Does anyone know if the DSi has any of those grip things made for it? I would love that personally!!

Anyway I have a few gripes about the amount of control you get for this game.

I'm a Fomar right now and I can already tell that I'm going to suck in the future mainly because I can't use S/D and J/Z easily. In PSO you could just shortcut to it without it being in your palette but in PSZ you can't even use techniques if they aren't in your palette. That's not even mentioning how much of a B* it is to use Fluids without it being in the palette.

How are you guys getting around this?

Also...what were those special shortcuts in PSZ to access the menus easier? I can't remember.

So yeah any tips for a noob?

Zero Revenge
Nov 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm a Fomar right now and I can already tell that I'm going to suck in the future mainly because I can't use S/D and J/Z easily. In PSO you could just shortcut to it without it being in your palette but in PSZ you can't even use techniques if they aren't in your palette. That's not even mentioning how much of a B* it is to use Fluids without it being in the palette.

I guess that's how they Balance Forces being OP later on.

kirtblue
Nov 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
im doing ok with the controls the targeting system is starting to get to me though

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
I have no problems with the control, the game though is definitely more challenging than PSO in my opinion. (At least the Story Mode.)

Good times.

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 02:10 PM
Forces are strong, indeed. But yet, the palette limitations affecting Forces can be seen as a balancer, but it actually helps make it a team game a bit more. That's why classes generally have some overlap in what they can access. A force can offload some duties to another tech-using class, and concentrate on certain of their class fortes while balancing their palette for other aspects of combat.

Sometimes a force may decide to offload buffs to the Hunter, debuffs to Ranger while their secondary 3 consists of two alternate attack techs and resta. That is, depending on how many tech chuckers you have in the party.

Zero Revenge
Nov 12, 2009, 05:13 PM
I only just got the game 2 hours ago, and the combat feels... kinda off. Maybe I missed something, but it says that L is to lock on, but I have to hold it down to strafe too.

And that Dragon fucking OWNS me. Kai, Sarisa, and myself, and it's destroying me.

Niered
Nov 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
I only just got the game 2 hours ago, and the combat feels... kinda off. Maybe I missed something, but it says that L is to lock on, but I have to hold it down to strafe too.

And that Dragon fucking OWNS me. Kai, Sarisa, and myself, and it's destroying me.

L is lock on and strafe. Ive only played a Ranger thus far, and the lock-on only works from very short distances. I just play the way I used to play Ranger in PSO, strafing doesnt really seem to helpful, even with the Mechguns and handguns that let you fire while you move.

I personally love the combat. I agree that the timing seems to change when you fire at enemies, but its an easy thing to get used to. Dodge rolls are the best, as I can use my rifle's pa to do major damage at point blank range and then roll away. I can't even really use the lock on or the strafing since my L trigger is wonky. I still managed to beat the game less than an hour ago.

TacoGhost
Nov 12, 2009, 06:59 PM

I finally figured out the timing on the combat system after reading some of the other observations: It's slow. Not complaining here, but it's really slow. I just keep that in mind for my timing and I've been doing really well with Swords, Gunslashes, and Bangles (Which are awesome, lol).

Flamingo99
Nov 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
X + L or R

:)

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 07:55 PM

And that Dragon fucking OWNS me. Kai, Sarisa, and myself, and it's destroying me.Just make sure you got plenty of items, you should be fine. :P

Also, head is his weak spot.

What's your character finally? If you're a CAST I can understand soloing is a bit more challenging though but if you're someone who can use Resta, the dragon shouldn't be a problem with 10 monofluids, 10 difluids, 10 trifluids, 10 monomate, 10 dimate, 10 trimate, etc.

I haven't died yet, but i'm sure it's coming soon, gotta say I found the dragon "heavy" the first time I got there, the other boss were easier if you ask me because I was a bit stronger (better MAG, grinded weapon etc.)

EDIT: OH YEAH, L-TRIGGER + START IS YOUR FRIEND, THAT SHORTCUT TAKES YOU TO ITAM MENU! :P

Kagi Omiya
Nov 12, 2009, 08:52 PM
Um, I'm not frustrated at all. I'm used to playing DS games, so it isn't clunky or hard to manage at all. No harder than Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was, anyway. Get a Double Saber or Daggers for a Hunter, and problems vanish. For Rangers, you actually CAN fire over holes and such at enemies. You need a Mech Gun for this, however, as anything else will cause the opponent to Guard the attacks. With Mech Guns, only the first bullet is guarded, the second hitting its mark or missing according to your stats. As for Forces, having to charge spells can be a little annoying, but the basic spells do well enough that it isn't frustrating. In fact, charging the spells can be a little fun, like Link and a spin slash.