PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointments?

Lunar_Furor
Nov 12, 2009, 04:51 AM
This game is great don't get me wrong. But there's always something to complain about. Do it here!

The only things that really bothered me is thus.

-No dropping of items
-Chat is more or less difficult during action
-HuNewm (something like that) looks like a chick!
-Can't move while in menu
-No quick menu (R+Y on PSo I think)

The HuNewm thing and chat isn't a HUGE deal I guess... though his addition is useless to me being as I can't stand how he looks...

xSHiNOx
Nov 12, 2009, 05:04 AM
- no duping or other people taking your stuff and leave the game
- then dont chat while battling
- i guess they are more androgynous in this than in other ps games
- thats too be expected. no dual analogs. what'd you expect?
- L+Start says hi!

SegaK2
Nov 12, 2009, 07:00 AM
It is definitely human nature to be a little dissapointed -- it doesn't help that we are talking about the DS here (the tech is nowhere near as good obviously as even the Dreamcast back in the day).

But it is very cool to have a portable version - had this come out years ago (at DS launch perhaps) it would most likely have seemed even more impressive.

R+START works nicely also. :)

KyuPoP
Nov 12, 2009, 08:02 AM
I just want them to make a Phantasy Star Online EP. 5 on the 360 or something, or the Wii, since Sega seems to like their old competitor more than the guys who killed them off.

This game, when I first started making my character, I was severely dissapointed in the lack of customization. I fear nobody will stand out, there is no style you can pick that is different. In PSO you had around 9 head style to choose from, nearly 20 outfits, not only different colors, but different textures. And my god the color customization of the hair, every color in the spectrum was inlcuded.

In PSZ, it is so much more limited. Four head styles, Three colors of the most random ever, green, grey, and purple? Where is black? Blonde? Brunette? The outfits were just different colors of the same suit. This would be no big deal if your armor changed appearance like your weapons do, but thats not the case. And a major aspect that is lacked in this customization, is proportioning. You no longer have the choice to make your character small, skinny, fat, or tall. No more model-esque newearls. No more Gorillacasts.

I just really felt they could have done a bit better here. But either way, I don't expect much from it being on the DS.

The item drop rate seems ridiculously high. I've found so many photon drops and monogrinders, and I have not even finished the first quest >.>

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
- poor customization options.
- mediocre/sub-par graphics.
- shitty music/sound effects.
- extremely limited action palette.
- clunky d-pad control.

Even with what I just said, PSZ is ridiculously fun and I understand most of the issues revolve around limitations with the hardware itself. If it were any other game, it would have been traded-in the same day. If anything....the one saving grace of PSZ is its online mode which works (imo) better than any other online DS game ive played. That alone covers the cost of the game and will keep me playing for a very long time....

Kishiin
Nov 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
I think us seasoned PSO/PSU players who are used to killing mass amounts of monsters will coast through a lot of the game. A side effect is this is that we'll amass large amounts of loot without feeling like we did a lot of work in the process. Its toned down for a more casual audience. Like always, it really sucks to get hit, but I guess its time to learn how to dodge accurately while in the thick of battle. its to be expected though. all in all, its a great game.

Whats with all of the HUnewm hate? Look at the HUmar. its a child.. who wears shorts. I cant take a character (especially a hunter) who wears shorts :|

GHNeko
Nov 12, 2009, 10:08 AM
- FO seem to be OP. When will it be the HUmar's turn to be OP. >:
- D-PAD FFFFFFFFF
- Visual Chat is not for people who can't draw and have sub-par writing.
- This game abides by Nintendo's friend system. I can't make friends out of people from match making, which is dumb, because half of the people I met from PSOBB, were from joining random rooms.
- LACK OF AFROS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
- Characters can't be black. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
- Game is brand new and I'm already getting connection issues with match making.
- Level Cap is 100. Needs moar 200.
- Dodge button takes up a spot on action palette. Kinda wish there was another way...
- Lack of PSO's quick shortcut menu, and I mean where you could press R+Y to bring up the minimenu. They could of done that here with like R+Select, or something. >:
- Data saving is client side. I lost about 3 levels and my second mag transformation already due to my battery dieing on me. e__e
- LACK OF AFROS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFF.
- LACK OF BEING BLACK. OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

It aint no PSO, but FFFFFF I wish it was.

Nai_Calus
Nov 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah HUmar is worse than HUnewm by far.

My one sadness is that you can't do story mode again on the same character after beating it as far as I can tell. So no doing Normal story and then going through on Hard. Boo. :< (Gonna make it hard for whoever decides to try to write up a script for the game, too. Gotta recreate characters and keep abandoning without saving for the dialogue options since it doesn't go through cutscenes again after you've done them once you've saved.)

GHNeko
Nov 12, 2009, 10:13 AM
Feeeh. HUmars. This is what I get for being faithful. >:

KyuPoP
Nov 12, 2009, 10:14 AM
I picked a HUnewm only because my girlfriend criticized me for choosing HUnewearl...

I'll probably just start as HUnewearl behind her back. I prefer their extra boost in ATA, then some AVO.

GHNeko
Nov 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
LOL. Why should you even let her affect your choice like that?

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
- shitty music/sound effects.I'll have to disagree with this, of course if you're not using real speakers, the quality sounds bad, but try hooking up some PC speakers in your DS headphone slot, you'll see the music is awesome.

unicorn
Nov 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
Probably just the lack of customization.
The graphics could be a tad better too.

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
I heard PS:P had an horrid frame rate, at least PSZ has a decent one.

(Didn't play a lot but so far I didn't notice any slowdowns, maybe minor ones when monsters spawns.)

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'll have to disagree with this, of course if you're not using real speakers, the quality sounds bad, but try hooking up some PC speakers in your DS headphone slot, you'll see the music is awesome.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I think im speaking more of the fx than of the music (I honestly dont pay that close attention to music in games, much less handhelds, unless its something absolutely mind-blowingly good), but the quality and choice of fx used is crap. Some things that stood out to me were the lvl up sfx and some of the ones Rayburn uses. They sound like shit to me. Granted, i do sound engineer/composition work in my free time and I may be harping on things exacerbated by the limitations of the hardware...but I was like, "Eww".

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I think im speaking more of the fx than of the music (I honestly dont pay that close attention to music in games, much less handhelds, unless its something absolutely mind-blowingly good), but the quality and choice of fx used is crap. Some things that stood out to me were the lvl up sfx and some of the ones Rayburn uses. They sound like shit to me. Granted, i do sound engineer/composition work in my free time and I may be harping on things exacerbated by the limitations of the hardware...but I was like, "Eww".

Oh well, I guess we all have our own opinions, I respect yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7r8i3g4xwY

HANDHELD MUSIC.

Pro-tip: Listen to it in HQ~

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 AM
The music in the Castlevania series since Rondo has always been good, but I see what youre getting at...

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Even better example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxeTuuo-74

One of the few songs that put on full blast.

djknitex
Nov 12, 2009, 12:28 PM
- FO seem to be OP. When will it be the HUmar's turn to be OP. >:
- D-PAD FFFFFFFFF
- Visual Chat is not for people who can't draw and have sub-par writing.
- This game abides by Nintendo's friend system. I can't make friends out of people from match making, which is dumb, because half of the people I met from PSOBB, were from joining random rooms.
- LACK OF AFROS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
- Characters can't be black. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
- Game is brand new and I'm already getting connection issues with match making.
- Level Cap is 100. Needs moar 200.
- Dodge button takes up a spot on action palette. Kinda wish there was another way...
- Lack of PSO's quick shortcut menu, and I mean where you could press R+Y to bring up the minimenu. They could of done that here with like R+Select, or something. >:
- Data saving is client side. I lost about 3 levels and my second mag transformation already due to my battery dieing on me. e__e
- LACK OF AFROS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFF.
- LACK OF BEING BLACK. OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

It aint no PSO, but FFFFFF I wish it was.

On the shortcut you can use L+Start to bring the item menu, and R+Start to bring the equip menu. I think it might be in the instruction booklet, lol idk

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 12:34 PM
Alright so I played a bit more, now I understand what you mean Itchee, I think they did the SFX like this on purpose, to make them feel more like nostalgic 8-bit sounds.

I like the SFX. :P

Lunar_Furor
Nov 12, 2009, 01:10 PM
On the shortcut you can use L+Start to bring the item menu, and R+Start to bring the equip menu. I think it might be in the instruction booklet, lol idk

I'm glad you and everyone else said this. I was trying r+ everything except start for some reason. I know the not moving in menu isn't really fixable unless they let us use the touch pad which I feel is a little under utilized but I don't really care except in text such as name entering, but meh... And as for the HuNewm I'll just use someone else... I just wanted to use him kuz his picture looked awesome and it was new.

Benzu
Nov 12, 2009, 01:21 PM
What really disappoints me is that:

- Some sound effects suck
- Some animations are... rigid
- You can't move while in menu
- No friend requests during Free Play
- I'm nearly level 10... Isn't that like 10% of my level peak in like... 2.5 hours?

Besides that, it's a dream come true. And to be honest, I'm glad the American theme isn't that anime themesong.

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 01:24 PM
Alright so I played a bit more, now I understand what you mean Itchee, I think they did the SFX like this on purpose, to make them feel more like nostalgic 8-bit sounds.

I like the SFX. :P

Yea, I guess though I really wish they would have just used sfx from PSO. They have a few in there and its awesome....

Zero Revenge
Nov 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Even better example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxeTuuo-74

One of the few songs that put on full blast.

YES! Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia! That is why my DS is in the sorry shape it's in!

Such a great game.

SHAAAAAAANNNOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!

<3 Albus.

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 01:30 PM
Levels really slow down after the initial ones. This is actually rather typical for many RPGs Action or non. The early levels are very quick and then it curves down as you go further, forcing you to pursue harder stuff to keep it from being a total crawl.

Take note, for the same difficulty, you'll gain exp faster in a good multiplayer group than when soloing. However, your first 20 or so levels are rather quick, especially the first 10 or 15.

My main wants, after playing the Japanese version, and what I've seen from this version so far, is mainly more stuff.

Of course, the limitations of the DS is what we have, so I wouldn't be surprised if this really did fill up the content. Though I'm not sure if they didn't use the largest possible cart size for this. Still, I have to give it to them for supplying some rather (at least) PSO version 1 level of content for the DS.

I would've liked for Mags to be able to carry more than one Photon Blast art, but I guess it does give the player more reasons for having multiple mags. The game hints at some unique effects that could happen when certain specific Photon Blasts are chained. I'd like to see those.

Lunar_Furor

- I'm nearly level 10... Isn't that like 10% of my level peak in like... 2.5 hours?

Besides that, it's a dream come true. And to be honest, I'm glad the American theme isn't that anime themesong.

yeah but look at PSo you could get to 20 in that time or less if you wanted to and that's 10%. If it scales like it did back then your last 3 levels will take you 4 months straight to obtain.

kirtblue
my only disappointment is that this didnt come out sooner

Lunar_Furor
Nov 12, 2009, 01:35 PM
That pissed me off when I got it. Game stop said 11/11 or w/e and I go in and nope not there, it SHIPS that day... but MW2 had a midnight release... then I go back the next morning... COME BACK AT 12? ;lkasjfKJoijeoiuneOIN;NI! Seriously! Why are you so phail Game stop?

kirtblue
Nov 12, 2009, 01:41 PM

the sound and animations suck because its on the ds secondly you cant move while in menu because ITS ON THE DS it only has one d-pad and no joystick how would you even move your character while in a menu with one d-pad

Para
Nov 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately SEGA didn't add in anti piracy features or anti cheat measures. A shame since a fair amount of people will do either both.

The DS is filled with enough shovelware as it is. If people pirate the good games too then we'll just have another GTA:CTW decable again.

Kanju
Nov 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
The HUnewearl looks terrible.
Heck, newmans in general look pretty bad.
Also, the in-game camera takes some time getting used to.

Kagi Omiya
Nov 12, 2009, 06:08 PM
Why complain about something that is irrelative? Even Pokemon games, which have more anti-piracy and hack measures I've ever seen, still have people finding way around. 75% of pirates just use emulators, so we won't have to deal with them online, due to the lack of Wi-Fi support for emulators. As for hackers, well... There isn't much that can be done about it. If you see someone hacking, you can, however, report them via a rating feature in Matchmaking. If they get enough bad reports, they'll never get matched to anyone.

Amherst_Wind
Nov 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
the sound and animations suck because its on the ds secondly you cant move while in menu because ITS ON THE DS it only has one d-pad and no joystick how would you even move your character while in a menu with one d-pad

You know that bottom screen on the DS? Its called a touch screen for a reason, SEGA just chose to ignore its touch function for everything except opening a map... it could have easily been a touch based menu.

sylwyn
Nov 12, 2009, 06:24 PM
The HUnewearl looks terrible.
Heck, newmans in general look pretty bad.

Hmm, I actually find their costumes to be pretty good. :-? I definitely like it more than what the humans wear.

Para
Nov 12, 2009, 06:26 PM
Why complain about something that is irrelative? Even Pokemon games, which have more anti-piracy and hack measures I've ever seen, still have people finding way around. 75% of pirates just use emulators, so we won't have to deal with them online, due to the lack of Wi-Fi support for emulators. As for hackers, well... There isn't much that can be done about it. If you see someone hacking, you can, however, report them via a rating feature in Matchmaking. If they get enough bad reports, they'll never get matched to anyone.Oh that's an interesting feature... well emulators or not, doesn't stop people from playing on their pirated carts.

Java378
Nov 12, 2009, 06:36 PM
Erm, whut?

Who cares about piracy? The rommers can't transfer to console.

And who cares abotu cheats? Hardly anyone uses them and there are level 49-100s from Japan to enforce GREAT JUSTICE anyways.

Hitoshura
Nov 12, 2009, 06:46 PM
I love the music in this game, but I'm really disappointed by the low quality. Sounds like a GBA game or something, especially when compared to SMT: Strange Journey or TWEWY.

TacoGhost
Nov 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
They can transfer roms to cartridges. However, Nintendo's constantly combating that by the DSi which can have its firmware updated to disallow those flash carts from being used. Hopefully with the next iteration of Nintendo's handheld, flash carts will be a thing of the past and pirates will be forced to emulators only.

larpus
Nov 12, 2009, 10:07 PM
Eh, don't really see a problem with that, more people to team up with I guess.

Hackers and cheaters I agree, they hurt the game, but pirates...not so much, not that I'm defending them, just saying it doesn't matter.

Plus, there are countries in the world where games go for much more than they're supposed to; I live in such country, here games tend to go for 200 to 400% their actual price for no other reason than pure greed, that's why I always import my stuff, never buy it around here, but even so, I'm paying more than I'm supposed to.

GHNeko
Nov 12, 2009, 10:21 PM

I know about that. >_>

I mean how you could bring up a small shortcut menu rather than bringing up the WHOLE MENU.

Para
Nov 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
The music definitely disappointed me... where's the epicness that was in PSO D:

Arikado
Nov 12, 2009, 11:44 PM
The soundtrack is pretty epic if you ask me.

http://i37.tinypic.com/axyznt.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/jjrclz.png

http://i38.tinypic.com/30mygyc.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/nyd0ft.png

:P

Mike
Nov 13, 2009, 12:04 AM
If only it was as epic as the number of CDs. But then again, some games just can't get in game music right, even if the music is epic outside of the game.

Dragwind
Nov 13, 2009, 12:13 AM
I quite enjoy most of the music so far. Some of the disappointments for me so far include:

-Online mode:
1. Tired of the DS friend code system
2. No lobby system, can't meet random lobby rats (which I miss)

-Camera: I just don't like it

There are a few small issues I have with the game, but they aren't really major to me.

SDreamer
Nov 13, 2009, 12:30 AM
All the non cast character designs. Aside from that, everything else is alright.

Peelbash
Nov 13, 2009, 12:38 AM
The music is great! I have the PSO soundtrack and this doesn't quite live up to it, but it's a ds game...

GHNeko
Nov 13, 2009, 12:39 AM
I just wanna know why the female casts have such noticable clevage.

Hell. Why do they have clevage point blank.

MorganDW
Nov 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
Gotta agree with the lack of customization. Probably one of the biggest disappointments so far considering how...questionable some of the designs are. HuMar wouldn't be so bad, for example, if you could make him taller. And yeah no black people/fros (but you can make the ranger look like a confederate soldier LOL)

Lunar_Furor
Nov 13, 2009, 01:32 AM
Gotta agree with the lack of customization. Probably one of the biggest disappointments so far considering how...questionable some of the designs are. HuMar wouldn't be so bad, for example, if you could make him taller. And yeah no black people/fros (but you can make the ranger look like a confederate soldier LOL)
dont forget you can make HuMarl look like an SS soldier or what ever rank it is lol.
http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/735/719/16/FemaleSShelper.jpghttp://www.pso-world.com/images/zero/guides/characters/ramarl/ramarl-hair-color-4.jpg

Zero Revenge
Nov 13, 2009, 01:35 AM
///How?

Dragwind
Nov 13, 2009, 01:36 AM
Oh right, thanks for bringing up another 2 things I don't like.

-Human designs (especially the HUmar)
-Lack of character customization

but I absolutely love CASTs.

Lunar_Furor
Nov 13, 2009, 01:39 AM
FoMar (for having pope hat)
FoMarl (for being a nun)
RaMar (For his hats)
HuNewerl (Because I said so)

Are the only chars I can stand design wise, everyone else is just meh except the HuNewm who just phails harder than a midget changing light bulbs.

Zero Revenge
Nov 13, 2009, 01:40 AM
What's wrong with the Cowboy Hat?

And Nun/Maid outfit? It's a total winner.

Para
Nov 13, 2009, 01:41 AM
Oh right, thanks for bringing up another 2 things I don't like.

-Human designs (especially the HUmar)
-Lack of character customization

but I absolutely love CASTs.

Rofl yes the HUmar designs is like wtf.. same with HUmarl.

But casts... hello. I love he clenches his fists and its like ITS TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM

but im all out of gum :wacko:

Lunar_Furor
Nov 13, 2009, 01:44 AM
I liked the casts but thought HuCaseal looked a lot like the HuCast

Jonty
Nov 13, 2009, 05:26 AM
I'm fine with most of the character designs save the HUmar and HUmarl, but I've never fancied the human hunters anyhow. I really would like some more customisation options, but it's not a mammoth problem or anything. It'd just be nice.

The casts and newmans all look good (although I'd agree with the HUcaseal aesthetics being a bit lazy), and I like the human rangers and forces too. Just a shame they're a little limited is all.

Miyoko
Nov 13, 2009, 06:27 AM
The only thing I don't like thus far -- Three Character slots aren't enough! ;_;

Nidramag
Nov 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
only real complaint, no quick tech menu

Lunar_Furor
Nov 13, 2009, 09:15 AM
That does make it hard to be a force now and then

Nidramag
Nov 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
Gotta put things on the palette to use them at all. now I have to have shifta/deband/anti/etc. if I want to use them at all, taking up valuable space on my palette. And I hate leaving those on palette, especially anti, because you almost never use it, but when you need it you need it quickly. Or your party needs it. Kind of annoyign at the Cthulhu boss.

Im so used to being able to quickly acess techs in PSO, I had the whole scroll tech menu down like a sixth sense. Quick weapon is kind of there... but not really. I like being a battle force a lot...

quick roll dodge button would have been nice, hell, if they would've given all four buttons to make the palette 8 I would be happy. I find myself always short one slot and having to change two around too often.

They changed TP to PP but it's not the same PP as PSU, as it's the same as TP from PSO.

Level cap is too low... feels easy for PSO vets like myself. Especially mag feeding. cap 100, five items at a time, almost now ait to feed again, and feed it pretty much anything.

Oh, and no SectID's (c'mon, it was a good system!), and name can be changed. Unsettling kind of.

That pissed me off when I got it. Game stop said 11/11 or w/e and I go in and nope not there, it SHIPS that day... but MW2 had a midnight release... then I go back the next morning... COME BACK AT 12? ;lkasjfKJoijeoiuneOIN;NI! Seriously! Why are you so phail Game stop?
same happened to me. I was like, released in Japan on December 28, 2008 (or was it the 25th?) and then it gets an extra day to stock? hmmm Mwarfare2 didn't have that problem...

Why complain about something that is irrelative? Even Pokemon games, which have more anti-piracy and hack measures I've ever seen, still have people finding way around. 75% of pirates just use emulators, so we won't have to deal with them online, due to the lack of Wi-Fi support for emulators. As for hackers, well... There isn't much that can be done about it. If you see someone hacking, you can, however, report them via a rating feature in Matchmaking. If they get enough bad reports, they'll never get matched to anyone.LOL i baght a gamshark nao I getz stufz. - kids, really?
Really, cartridge based saves, they can override bad ratings. oh well, play only with friends and PSOW people.

You know that bottom screen on the DS? Its called a touch screen for a reason, SEGA just chose to ignore its touch function for everything except opening a map... it could have easily been a touch based menu. I found lack of touch screen gimmicks to be one of it's strong points.

DISCLAIMER: most of my opinions stem from PSO, which I still play all the time, as I do not like PSU. still a fan of the series. Want the Keyboard to complete my Phantasy star merchandise collection

Ice_ryu
Nov 13, 2009, 10:12 AM
One thing I do miss from other version is the lack of character originality, yesterday I ran into at least three peeps that looked exactly the same as me. I wish they would have added the color selet from other versions instead of just three colors. But oh well, that a very minor thing.

Patashnik
Nov 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'mm dissapointed that they didn't let you use the touch screen for menu selections. They could have had a few action pallate slots on there as well, surely.

On the whole though, I like the fact that it looks, feels and sounds more like PSO than PSU.

Oh, yeah, and I wish the strafe speed was a little faster when you're locking on - just feels that tiony bit too sluggish for my liking! : )

Nidramag
Nov 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
they'll probably make a few 'additions'
*ahem*
"DSi only"
such as the possibility of the return of a level from PSO. blargh.