PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my PSZ to connect to Wi Fi

KyuPoP
Nov 12, 2009, 08:12 AM
Okay so first I was at my girlfriend's house, I could connect to her network via DSi, like the main menu, but only in advanced settings. I could browse the interwebz and everything.

Then I start in PSZ, the wifi connection thing looks like it does on DS classics. I find her network, its there, so I choose it. But it won't let me enter the full WEP key? What? It only allows 5 digit WEP keys, what kind of crap is that? Who has a 5 digit WEP key? Many have a random set of like 10 numbers. I don't know what to do.

So then I go back to my house, my internet connection works just fine with my DSi, same as my girlfriends. But this time when I search for it in PSZ, it says cannot connect to access point because security settings don't support the system.

o.o It said that in the search, not after choosing the network.

I dunno what to do! I want to play online with my friend! That's half the fun of the game! Anybody here have any tips?

Metsume
Nov 12, 2009, 08:25 AM
I had almost the same problem last night. I went on Nintendo's support site and found out that my wireless network security set to WPA. DS Classics and DS Lites only work with WEP, but DSi's work with both WPA and WEP.

I had to change my wireless network security to WEP for it to work. My DS Lite wouldn't even pick up my router when it was set to WPA, but it had no problem at all finding it as an access point once it was switched to WEP security. It may work for you the way it did for me if you make sure your wireless security is set to WEP.

If you need help, go to http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/index.jsp and on the right you will see the DSi, DS Lite, and DS Classic. Click on "Connecting to the Internet (Getting online)" on the DS you want to play PSZ on. From there, click "Getting Started (step-by-step guide)" on either DSi or DS Classic/DS Lite. It will ask you questions to help you get closer to fixing your issue.

Post back if you have any problems. I'll try to help. :)

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 08:59 AM
Do you really think people are salivating on the sidelines waiting to break into your network?
Just switch over to a 5-digit WEP while youre playing PSZ...

Metsume
Nov 12, 2009, 09:03 AM
I don't know much about routers and security settings, or what WPA or WEP does, but as long as it works, I'm fine. All I know it that I'm able to play PSZ now.

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 09:19 AM
Well, i think its a matter of how secure you want your network. In all honesty, I dont see the need for anything more than a WEP if we're talking about something in your own home or even an apartment building. A WEP key probably wont cut it for business or corporate applications, but the chances of someone spending their time from the apartment next to you to break into your network so they can steal all your bandwidth is slim to none. Should be able to see MAC addys anyway, so if someone does happen to jump on...you block em and thats that.

Metsume
Nov 12, 2009, 09:31 AM
So do you think KyuPop's problem is that he needs to use WEP?

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well, im not a network admin by any stretch of the imagination....but the complaint is that it only allows a 5 digit WEP. Ok, then use a 5 digit WEP. Unless we're talking about locking down NORAD here, I dont see the problem with using a smaller WEP key than what hes used to.

KyuPoP
Nov 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
I talked to my brother. Turns out we are using a WPA key, he said it is for higher security reasons. I'll talk to him about it, because it is completely bogus that I bought a DSi just to play PSZ, and I may turn around and sell them both if I can't connect to the internet. Thats a lot of lost fun, and only MMORPG can catch my eye, forever.

We used to have a WEP key that was just the word THERE. I'll see if he can do that again >.> Right now we have a WPA with the preset numbers given on the router model. We just got a new ISP.

Thanks a lot folks. Too bad I probably won't see my brother until 10 pm tonight, so I probably won't get to play PSZ online until November 13th. I bought it on the 11th >.>

Metsume
Nov 12, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry, KyuPop...
I hope you can play soon. Good luck! :)

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
That's strange. My WEP key is 10 digits and I've been playing the game on my network. It allowed me to used my 10 digit WEP settings.

VioletSkye
Nov 12, 2009, 03:23 PM
I played at lunch today at work and our WEP (Hex) is 128bit (26 characters) and I had no problems connecting.