PDA

View Full Version : First Day Observations

jellitoe
Nov 12, 2009, 08:28 AM
These are not complaints, just some things I noticed while I played yesterday. Let me know if it was mental :)

1. Timing with weapons seems different when practicing while actually attacking.
It was easy to 3 hit combo with no monsters around using a calibur, but when hitting monsters I had to delay my button mashing alot to pull it off. Took a while to get used to. Did not have the same problem with the starter weapon, or spear.

2. The quests are cake compared to going into the field without a quest. The monsters seems to have a lot more energy and come out at you in larger forces plus more traps.

3. Online multiplayer seemed very smooth, no lag.

4. The NPCs talk too much.

5. This game is great. feels smooth. But targeting monsters is a little harder becuase they move fast so you need to adjust quickly.

6. Mag feeding so far seems simple.

7. No death penalty. I hated dying in PSO cause it meant I lost my hard earned cash that was not banked. You seem to lose nothing in this version. Or do you?

8. Resta and Mates will only get you so far, lots of emphasis on learning to dodge.

Eluvion
Nov 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
8. Resta and Mates will only get you so far, lots of emphasis on learning to dodge.

Agreed. I kind of like it though. Rolling out of the way all the time. lol

Itchee
Nov 12, 2009, 08:56 AM
I too was surprised at how well the online portions worked. I played for a good 4 hours online yesterday and didnt see a hint of lag.
I will also agree the single player mode seems far easier than online....I took my newly made character online first (as i normally do in situations like this) and pretty much got my ass handed to me running around solo with a handgun (which was sorely underpowered). Getting into a game with 3 other people was far better....

Java378
Nov 12, 2009, 09:41 AM
I went to sleep playing the game and left it open. +7 hours for my character.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
I will also agree the single player mode seems far easier than online....I took my newly made character online first (as i normally do in situations like this) and pretty much got my ass handed to me running around solo with a handgun (which was sorely underpowered). Getting into a game with 3 other people was far better....
Ah so it seems online mode is stronger enemies and such, again.

"This ain't no offline mode"

can be uttered again.

jellitoe
Nov 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
I went to sleep playing the game and left it open. +7 hours for my character.

LOL - I shut mines down around 12, bailed on some player named shy (sumthing)

I will put in around 10 hours today.

Aristerix
Nov 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have some interesting first day observations as well.

1. I know how you feel about the combo system, its a bit harder to string them while fighting but you'll get used to it very fast.

2. Even if you think you're going to get hit, if you roll before, or even when they're attacking, you won't take the damage.

3. Online is smooth, but first it seemed like it wasn't sync'd very well since I was fighting a monster on one side of the map and my friend looked like he was fighting nothing on the other side, but actually hitting the monster I was attacking. <-- This has only happened once though in the couple hours I've played online.

4. Mags get harder to feed at higher levels but still easy if you start giving them weapons and armor at around level 50-60+.

5. The game seemed very hard at first, but note that I'm playing as a HUnewearl. But when I learned the class and what stats I need to raise, it became so much easier to stay alive. For example, putting grinders into your ARMOR first. Putting on defense and evasion units. And making sure I added a bit of guard to my mag as well. So now, I barely use any mates and fluids, compared to when I first started- I needed all the mates and fluids I could possibly get.

6. Targeting the Octo Diablo's slimy tentacles is annoying to do with a spear.. don't even try it, seriously.

7. Photon Drops are soooo easy to get so I'm spending them on materials.

8. They added arena's you can warp to, which include boosted monsters and maybe rares? Anyways, I thought those were pretty cool.

TacoGhost
Nov 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
5. The game seemed very hard at first, but note that I'm playing as a HUnewearl. But when I learned the class and what stats I need to raise, it became so much easier to stay alive. For example, putting grinders into your ARMOR first. Putting on defense and evasion units. And making sure I added a bit of guard to my mag as well. So now, I barely use any mates and fluids, compared to when I first started- I needed all the mates and fluids I could possibly get.

Good to know. I was thinking the other direction to power myself up to kill stuff before it would hit me. Ive been dying a lot -_-

jellitoe
Nov 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
Grind Armor :-o I did not know I could do that.

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 01:26 PM
Actually, you are right. The Phantasy Star Zero Guide confirms the suspicions of the monster power. Multiplayer mode has monster attack power, defense, hit points, and the exp you get from them, all raised. It also seems to increase the chance of better drops.

The explanation of the increased Monster power in the Guide was that it was due to how the NPCs are usually weak in damage, compared to the player. However, when playing in a group, with other real players, the players are much more effective and powerful. So they raise the monsters by varying percentages on thier stats, to compensate.

kirtblue
Nov 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
i have yet to put it down on hour 15 strait but im starting to fade

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
There are a lot of things it could take you a good long while to see. I still have 2 secret warp locations that I've never seen, in any game I played. From the Japanese release, until now.

I've seen a secret warp gate to a mysterious arena level maybe twice, so far. One of the times was my first day in random multiplayer. Rare animal finds, I've found some. Plus some rare versions of certain common monsters. You'll see the Helions many many many more times than you would see them replaced by Blaze Helions.

kirtblue
Nov 12, 2009, 02:08 PM
There are a lot of things it could take you a good long while to see. I still have 2 secret warp locations that I've never seen, in any game I played. From the Japanese release, until now.

I've seen a secret warp gate to a mysterious arena level maybe twice, so far. One of the times was my first day in random multiplayer. Rare animal finds, I've found some. Plus some rare versions of certain common monsters. You'll see the Helions many many many more times than you would see them replaced by Blaze Helions.

good to hear you thought the game was good enough to keep playing and get an english copy

Peelbash
Nov 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
I noticed that i can't beat octo diablo.

jellitoe
Nov 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
I noticed that i can't beat octo diablo.

Train Train Train - Good thing is you can keep lvling up till he is a piece of punkin pie and your hungry and have a fork.

Peelbash
Nov 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
Train Train Train - Good thing is you can keep lvling up till he is a piece of punkin pie and your hungry and have a fork.

yea im doin that rite now

Eluvion
Nov 12, 2009, 02:37 PM
1. How does one exchange photon drops?
2. I noticed that I can't find a healing place in town is there one?

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 02:46 PM
There is no healing place. The only way to heal in town, is with Resta, Items, or collecting the Mission reward (at the mission counter) when a quest is complete.

Photon Drops, among with Monster parts, will have special counters for which you can trade to get special stuff with. However, they are not available in town, at the beginning. As you go through story mode, you'll eventually unlock entrance to the manhole cover in town. The sewers contain special (out of the way) shops, with which to spend those hard-earned gains.

Also take note. And this is a big note. Never forget that your Photon Blast progress does not reset when telepiping back to town. You can go back and forth, to your hearts content, and keep the Photon Blast meter going. The only way you lose Photon Blast energy is by either using it, finishing the mission, or incapacitation. So yeah, that's the main extent of the punishment for incapacitation, a loss of Photon Blast.

BDStan
Nov 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
1. How does one exchange photon drops?
2. I noticed that I can't find a healing place in town is there one?

Pretty early into the game you unlock the area that allows you to exchange photon drops. I'd try doing the first couple of main missions and see if you get any dialog scenes hinting at a manhole. Once you do, head the to the part of the city with the item and weapon shops and head all the way back past the old android that is standing around. The manhole is in the far left corner. The special code vendor and the enemy parts craftsman are down there as well.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a full heal in town is either to report/abandon a quest or use your healing items and techniques.

DoubleJG
Nov 12, 2009, 03:08 PM
Observations:

1) Online is smooth and very fun. I played one random match last night and the three people were very fun to play with and brought back good memories of Word Select. I also noticed that you are the only one who can pick up items visible on your screen. In other words, every chest drops its own set of items for each game cartridge which are only visible and obtainable by that player.

2) Multiplayer is definitely a bit more difficult, which I like.

3) Octo Diablo was a pain.. and still is.

4) The MAG feeding is just as fun as it ever was.

5) Photon Arts make weapons fun.

6) The NPCs definitely talk a bit too much, but I guess that's needed for a well-built storyline.

7) I LOVE the Title and Ranking systems.

8) And I am looking for people to swap friend codes with so I can start building up my Friend Roster. If you send me your FC though, make sure you don't use stuff like Action Replay ;)

DoubleJG (currently a Lv 7 HUnewm)
2879-9689-8183

jellitoe
Nov 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
Observations:

8) And I am looking for people to swap friend codes with so I can start building up my Friend Roster. If you send me your FC though, make sure you don't use stuff like Action Replay ;)

DoubleJG (currently a Lv 7 HUnewm)
2879-9689-8183

DoubleJG Add me and I will add you, I will be playing online at 5.

StaticWings19
Nov 12, 2009, 03:47 PM
enemies do not seem to individually drop items. not that i mind the nice big box that rains goodies down upon my head

Akaimizu
Nov 12, 2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Monster drops are now stored in the box that appears, afterwards. It also keeps players from getting ripped off if they end up killing a flying enemy while it's over impassable terrain.

Kinako78
Nov 12, 2009, 05:34 PM
Love this game! Like jellitoe, it took a bit to get how to combo with certain weapons (claw gave me the hardest time, so far), but the battle system, character creation, and everything is just fantastic!

StaticWings19
Nov 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
Love this game! Like jellitoe, it took a bit to get how to combo with certain weapons (claw gave me the hardest time, so far), but the battle system, character creation, and everything is just fantastic!

Really?
ive gotta say im quite dissapointed with the charactor creations. everyone looks pretty much the same but with different hair and colors. there arnt any changes of clothes (besides color) and in my oppinion all of the humans look pretty bad

Hunter-Vix
Nov 15, 2009, 09:17 PM
The claw was the most difficult battle combo for me to master so far.
Also:
Max character level is 100.
Max mag level is 100.
Max material usage for humans is 100.
(Were previously higher in Phantasy Star Online)

Gunslinger-08
Nov 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
Seems pretty fun. I'm yet to get online, but I don't have the time to sit down and play for more than 30 minutes at a time, now that exams and papers are appearing in all of my classes.

StaticWings19
Nov 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
Seems pretty fun. I'm yet to get online, but I don't have the time to sit down and play for more than 30 minutes at a time, now that exams and papers are appearing in all of my classes.

oh god. Im in the same boat. i dont want to write papers! i want to explore ... ragol? its not ragol is it?

DOES THIS PLANET/WORLD HAVE A NAME???? *panic*

Gunslinger-08
Nov 15, 2009, 09:33 PM
oh god. Im in the same boat. i dont want to write papers! i want to explore ... ragol? its not ragol is it?

DOES THIS PLANET/WORLD HAVE A NAME???? *panic*

Earth, lol...

FnalKnight
Nov 16, 2009, 03:00 AM
My favorite part so far (aside from "everything") is that fact I can make my CAST look like freaking MegaMan, that's pretty hardcore in my book. I love how the CASTs are so, for lack of better word, sexy in this game. They all have this MegaMan Zero style to them that makes them look so amazing. Okay back to the game, wanna beat story mode once before going online.