PDA

View Full Version : PS0 compared to PSO

Tizzakowack
Nov 15, 2009, 10:05 PM
so im sure there has been a ton of these threads huh? i searched and didnt find much actaully. its funny i remember hearing about this game like half a year ago remember about it today and look it up and it came out like 3 days ago lol

but to my question im a old old old veteran of PS0. and was one of those guys that compared psu to pso over and over again and eventually gave up on psu cuz it really wasn't like pso. i remember reading that ps0 is a lot like pso is this right?

can you take your offline characters online? can you find "red" boxes and get excited that its a weapon instead of something that you have to mix with something else just to make a weapon and have a chance of it not even working and breaking? idk i have a ton of other questions but just wanted to pop in here and see if its even worth buying a DS and the game.

thanks a lot!

Hunter-Vix
Nov 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes to the online/offline part.
Red boxes contain high level weapons/armor/enemy body parts. Similar to PSO except photon drop boxes are green and I haven't found any addslots.

Tizzakowack
Nov 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
do they have the whole make weapon things where you have to find all this dumb stuff and make a weapon? or are most the weapons found/armor found? this makes me want to get it. so pretty much if i liked pso ill like this game then?

oh ya and as far as the offline is it a lot like online? and it has all the same content pretty much? thats another thing i didnt like about psu. lack of offline content.

blackjet
Nov 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
From what I've seen there are no weapons that you have to find and then combine with things other than the animal parts, but those aren't marked as rare.

Boxblaster
Nov 15, 2009, 10:25 PM
No synthing of your weapons or armor in this one. Your rares are actually rare, and I'd say if you're a PSO fan, you'll enjoy PS0 as well.

Niered
Nov 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
do they have the whole make weapon things where you have to find all this dumb stuff and make a weapon? or are most the weapons found/armor found? this makes me want to get it. so pretty much if i liked pso ill like this game then?

oh ya and as far as the offline is it a lot like online? and it has all the same content pretty much? thats another thing i didnt like about psu. lack of offline content.

There is no "crafting" system like PSU. Sometimes youll get an enemy body part, but this is more like the items that you gave Dr Montague in PSO and he would turn them into weapons. Otherwise, yes all the rare drops are either weapons, armor, units, or Stat Materials.

The content between online and offline is the same, the only difference being that there are online specific quests and offline specific quests. Also, you cant play the single player story mode online (obviously).

So yeah, if your like me, hated PSU, but loved PSO, youll enjoy PSZ. Hope that helps.

Mike
Nov 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
It's far from being exactly the same as PSO though. Check out vids on Youtube to see what the game play is like though.

Tizzakowack
Nov 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
this gets me excited. there are only a few games i have ever became addicted to and pso was one....man good times.

Zencidal
Nov 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
PS0 has the PSO charm by bits, which got me addicted. =]

TheRealFlow
Nov 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
I loved PSO and tried to get into PSU, but that didn't work out to well.... PSZ has filled the void. =) If you loved (or love) PSO you'll love PSZ for sure!

Nidramag
Nov 15, 2009, 11:23 PM
There is no "crafting" system like PSU. Sometimes youll get an enemy body part, but this is more like the items that you gave Dr Montague in PSO and he would turn them into weapons. Otherwise, yes all the rare drops are either weapons, armor, units, or Stat Materials.

The content between online and offline is the same, the only difference being that there are online specific quests and offline specific quests. Also, you cant play the single player story mode online (obviously).

So yeah, if your like me, hated PSU, but loved PSO, youll enjoy PSZ. Hope that helps.

Amen, brother. amen.

If you knew me I was a huuuggggeeee fan of PSO since 2000, a vet, hated the hell outta PSU, and now I love PS0. Seriously, buy it, it's worth it, it's fun, it's got nicotine compared to PSU's nyquil. do it.

darthplagis
Nov 16, 2009, 04:33 AM
yeah, PSZ plays like PSO and I for one LOVE it!

only wish the DS lite was shaped for bigger hands....... im not a small person, even PS2 pads are too small for me (but DC pads were amazingly comfy). im gonna butcher an old pad and a DS cover to make a pad like attachment so i can actually play as a ranger (the L shoulder is really bad to hit/hold with b ig hands and DS lite)

SquashDemon
Nov 16, 2009, 09:21 AM

Also good for any fans of retro Phantasy star, before the hype, the story mode cutscenes play out a lot like the original genesis/saturn remakes of the games. The plot and characters on the other hand...eeh, well PSO still has PSZ beat on that, I don't think they'll EVER bring back that brilliant sense of drama, tragedy and just all-around atmosphere that they had with PSO. I was just too busy geeking out during the conversation cutscnes going "OMG OMG DIS IS JSUT LIEK IN PSIII!!!" but yeah, good ol' nostalgia all-around, and freaking dodgerolling, Gotta love the dodge roll, you can pretty much evade all normal enemy attacks with it, it's wonderful.

EDIT: for the record, I mostly hated PSU for it's cast, the gameplay was at least tolerable but, Ethan Waber can go right to hell, and he can take Kai and Sarisa with him! buncha happy-go-lucky-spend-the-whole-fight-on-the-ground-while-one-guy-does-all-the-damn-fighting-then-claim-it-was-the-power-of-bullshit-friendship-rappy-sucking-falz-knockers!

Padium
Nov 16, 2009, 12:14 PM
I was incredibly dissappointed with PSU, loved PSO, been playing it for 8 years or so. Now, I'm going to have to get my best friend hooked again! In the mean time, PS0 is amazing, it takes the one thing I liked about PSU (story mode), and adds it to PSO.

TravisVI
Nov 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
its good to be back on the forums and its VERY good to have PS:Zero, its the best experience i've had with PSO since long before PSU >_> ... blegh

jmanx
Nov 16, 2009, 12:38 PM
PSO on the GO

imo 70% PSO 20% itself 10% PSU

I also found the story to be very unlock the other ps online series its more interactive and focus on ur chaaracter and this time around u get to talk O: lol wat u can say in the game is pretty funny

chibiLegolas
Nov 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
I almost gave up hope after hearing the closing of PSO:BB + PSO servers. Sank even deeper after playing PSU for a year or so (to see the improvements). PSZ just breathed new life into me!

SquashDemon
Nov 17, 2009, 08:10 AM
For all the pros of PSZ, It really should have been a multiconsole title, there is simply not enough customization!

that really is this game's ONLY flaw, I wanna see tall fatassed RAmars!
I wanna see tiny-as-hell FOmars!

dammit I wanna see that level 100 HUcast who is smaller than my damn pinky solo Olga Flow!

Only complaint though, seriously.

Solution?

make a Wii extension that you can port your PSZ characters to in about...eh, two and a half years, or something.

Ice_ryu
Nov 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
That would be nice, and raise the the cap to 200. and add ulti mode. and bring back

Padium
Nov 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
I almost gave up hope after hearing the closing of PSO:BB + PSO servers. Sank even deeper after playing PSU for a year or so (to see the improvements). PSZ just breathed new life into me!

I'm surprised you never found the private server everyone knows about...

Zephton
Nov 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah I think a Wii extension type thing would be pretty great.

SquashDemon
Nov 20, 2009, 12:05 PM

Well first, it's forbidden, and secondly, I've been, it kinda sucks. It's safe from malicious code-users, but that's about it, most folk are more interested in treating it like an IM system than a game, and episode three (my personal favorite) doesn't even work.

Saigan
Nov 20, 2009, 02:42 PM

First rule is we're not supposed to talk about it.
Second rule is we're not supposed to talk about it.

:P

But yeah, PSZ is awesome, just picked it up yesterday, have like 10 hours logged on it already. Best game in the series since PSO.

THOTH
Nov 20, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hmmm.... where to begin.

PSO you really liked your weapons more because face it, the better graphics really added to the collection stand point. I would use an Elysian with hit% because it LOOKS good even though there were much better weapons out there. Also because its easier to switch weapons, it made sense to have more than one... collecting them was a bigger chore with the color ID system and that really made you want more than one character. Episode 2 had really enchanting environments to explore... I know graphics don't make a game entirely, but the PSO series has been much more simple compared to other RPGs of the type, and so enjoying the scenery is important.

...I still feel like PSO Ep 1+2 had the *best* looking weapons sometimes in ANY game, but maybe I'm old school.

PS0 does offer alot of stuff that may make it hard to "turn back" so to speak. The dodge feature really does shake up gameplay a bit. The PA based on weapon types is a cool system, and would be great to see expanded in a new series. Single player mode was more fleshed out experience, if not sterotypical anime. There are alot of types of environments, alot of bosses and alot of really fun quirks to PS0 that are unique to it.

If they had made characters a tad more customizable, a better equipment/spell system (as it stands, because it takes so long to switch weapons, is there even a reason to not just carry one or two with?...likewise, why even bother with Jellen or Zalure?...why didn't they just make techs touch screen based and equipment navigation so you could do it while moving?)....unfortunately better graphics (I'm sorry to be a graphics whore, I really am) and gotten rid of the Eternal Tower (or at least made it not required to unlock later difficulty levels) it would have trumped PSO in my mind.

Its still been a really good experience. I played PSO a really disturbingly long amount of time, I've sworn it off, so it's been a good outlet as a replacement.

Epically Leet
Nov 20, 2009, 08:01 PM
People have said what needs to be said.

I can only agree with the lot of you.

PS0 is absolutely fantastic.

HUnters4ever
Nov 21, 2009, 10:51 AM
I happen to think a lot about this topic. I hated PSU because it was nothing like PSO, but I've been playing PSZ for about a week and it is very hard for me to not compare the two games. Here are a few of the things that I have come up with, but remember that I am still in the early stages of the game (About 40 hours in, which is small for Phantasy Star standards)

Arguements that PSO would be better....

1) 2 control sticks allow you to move and customize at the same time. In Zero, if you want to customize you are forced to stop moving.
2) At least on the gamecube version, you can hit R+Y to access you item, technique, etc. bars and you can use those techniques, items, etc. while moving and searching through the menu. Once again, in Zero you are forced to stand still and search through your menu for anything that is not on your customize bar. Also, I believe you need to have your techniques on your customize bar in order to use them, although I'm not positive on that.
3) In Online, when you use Resta, everyone near you is healed to the same degree you are. In Zero, you have to wait for Resta to charge in order to heal others. Simply pressing Resta will heal only yourself.
4) You can reach level 200 in Online. (100 is the max in zero)
5) Your mag can reach 200 in online. (again max is 100)
6) Power, gaurd, hit, mind, etc. materials give you +2 in online, whereas it gives you +1 in zero. (HP and PP are still the same though at +2)
7) You can consume more materials in ONline than in Zero (makes sense though because you can also gain 100 more levels)
8) When playing with your friends in online, trading items was much easier but more dangerous. All you had to do was drop it on the ground. IN zero, you can't drop anything on the ground.
9) slightly more customization of characters (and I mean slightly).

Arguments for Phantasy Star Zero

1) You can move and shoot. This helps especially for rangers.
2) Items are distributed far better in this game.
3) Exp. is not horrible as P Star Online. enemies on ultimate would give you 260-330 exp. points, but in this game you can gain that type of exp. on Hard.
4) Shops actually sell good weapons
5) rares are far more frequent
6) Trading items is much safer, but takes longer to do so.
7) Handheld means it can be taken anywhere.
8) DS has sleep mode which means you can take breaks in the middle of missions without wasting time or electricity.
9) Probably the best part about Zero is that it is FREE to play online with others. Once again, FREE. Sure, you can't talk to that person, but I'm pretty sure the gamecube only had a keyboard, so you still couldn't actually hear that person either. This is probably the best WiFi game on the DS to date.

Yeah, that's a lot to take in, but I already made a list a week ago.

Thancruz
Nov 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
PSU didn't really hold my attention either,I mean I know the PS series is a grind fest, but PSU's grind fest felt so boring and not fun. PSZ feels smooth in its grinding even tho I have problems with the lock on from time to time, but other than that PSZ is a really good game,wish I didn't have to update my router to play with friends :(.And PSOBB wouldn't let me play worth anything lol.

Tizzakowack
Nov 23, 2009, 04:54 PM
ya i remember i could do forrest runs all day and night and not get tired of it lol.

so im going to pick up a DS and the game tonight im excited. do they have the whole color class kinda thing? where you have to be a certain class to get a rare? or is all rares open for anyone?

Niered
Nov 23, 2009, 05:47 PM
no section id's, everyone has the same drops.

Evicous
Nov 23, 2009, 08:17 PM
and episode three (my personal favorite) doesn't even work.Yes it does. Granted, not well, but it works.