PDA

View Full Version : PC: Computer Questions

Myst
Feb 24, 2003, 05:05 PM
Ok... a couple of questions:

1. If I buy a new processor chip, do I have to buy a new motherboard with it as well?
2. I've been given various answers to this question: what exactly does RAM do? I've heard it determines the amount of programs you can have on simutaneously without the comp lagging.
3. Does MHz affect the speed of your internet?

That's all for now.

BrokenHope
Feb 24, 2003, 05:16 PM
On 2003-02-24 14:05, Myst wrote:
Ok... a couple of questions:

1. If I buy a new processor chip, do I have to buy a new motherboard with it as well?
2. I've been given various answers to this question: what exactly does RAM do? I've heard it determines the amount of programs you can have on simutaneously without the comp lagging.
3. Does MHz affect the speed of your internet?

That's all for now.

1. Depends on the type of processor you're upgrading to and the type that you're currently using, also depends on the highest speed processor your current motherboard can take.

2. Ram stores everything that is currently happening on your computer, the more you have the more programs, things, etc you can do at once, also the more you have the smoother games run because they no longer have to use virtual memory which can slow down games due to hard drive access.

3. To some degree yes, depends on the types of websites you are visiting, media heavy sites with lots of flash etc would probably benifit from a faster processor.

Myst
Feb 25, 2003, 06:38 PM
Ok, that helped.

Thanks.