PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I love Newman hunters...but...

THOTH
Nov 17, 2009, 01:44 AM
I REALLY wish I would have known about the no heavy armor thing to begin with. Not that I would have choose something else...well, maybe I would have, honestly. Any one else a little nift over that one? Or does evasion become such a miracle stat I'll be thankful at some point?

SquashDemon
Nov 17, 2009, 03:54 AM
I play HUnewm, and though you don't really need an evade stat when you can just dodgeroll/epic maneuver out of the way of pretty much anything, but it does help when only about 1/3 of enemy attacks actually connect when you make the mistake of rolling into a wall.

Java378
Nov 17, 2009, 03:59 AM
I have a Hunewm secondary. I know this may be a useless tip for you, but he never got good at hitting until level 12. Then hiagashi form the dojo got me stag cutlery(in other words, Darth Maul Saber) and I gave him a star robe from the 100th floor for the eternal Tower(Normal).

Now he can take a brutish snow creature charging him head on without even flinching on normal. Rare armor and weapons rule.

Oh, ans squash demon's strategy works great. I was disappointed in the first ten levels though and checked the guide about it's stats. The MST was sucky, even as the best for Hunters. Then again, with my main being a FOmar, I guess I was hoping it's defense and HP were lowered and hoping they made up for it in ATA and MST. Not ATA and EVP.

GHNeko
Nov 17, 2009, 04:09 AM
So I take it HUnewms cant be the Magic Knight I was wishing for. ;__;

You know with the good physical and decent magical.

Does anything like that even exist in PSZ over on the HU side?

SquashDemon
Nov 17, 2009, 04:21 AM
Well it does, but you'll need either a force weapon or really good units.

HUnewms will only deal about 1/4 magical damage over physical, they are reliably self-sufficient once you learn resta though, just avoid the really obvious "this attack will stunlock you to 1 HP" attacks, and you could even do a bit of tanking/herding. I've been able to rather easily gather the whole room into one area, and three-hit combo every enemy with a sword-type, then escape unscathed.

Techs aren't quite futile, however, as it seems you have a relatively high chance of causing an affliction with any offensive tech, then there's the ability to use shifta/deband.

If you want a character that is actually entirely balanced at Magic use and Phys attack, I suppose you can just use a whole crapton of mats. ...then again with the innate guile your character naturally possesses you'll probably wind up with a build similar to that of a super HUmar, if that makes ANY sense (it doesn't, shut up, it sounded right in my head)

Java378
Nov 17, 2009, 04:21 AM
Nope, never. Well, the FOmars, but you had to use materials to up their defense and attack.

Sinue_v2
Nov 17, 2009, 07:39 AM
I don't really have an issue with it, since my HUnewearl gets Shifta/Deban to make up for the lack of DFP. Plus, it makes sense that Newmen don't use heavy armors... the first one appeared in a purple leotard, and they've been described as "lithe and agile" ever since. Those two attributes tend not to mix well with Heavy Armors, and PSZero is the first online PS game where they held true to that.

Hatrix
Nov 17, 2009, 12:00 PM
Get a 4 slot and some units youl be fine. If your still using 3 star armor a few grinders too

Randomness
Nov 17, 2009, 03:57 PM
You can do tech damage, though as has been noted, you'll want to pull out a force weapon for it to matter. I actually do runs with a slicer out (6*, level 3 Heart) and I can nuke decently... or just fire the PA Bright Seal instead, which paralyzes and nukes! (Seriously, lucky lucky drop for meh)

GHNeko
Nov 17, 2009, 04:07 PM
Nope, never. Well, the FOmars, but you had to use materials to up their defense and attack.

;___; I dont want a battle FOmar.

I want a magical HU.

Rakath Talyn
Nov 17, 2009, 04:13 PM
You can do tech damage, though as has been noted, you'll want to pull out a force weapon for it to matter. I actually do runs with a slicer out (6*, level 3 Heart) and I can nuke decently... or just fire the PA Bright Seal instead, which paralyzes and nukes! (Seriously, lucky lucky drop for meh)

Very lucky. I settled (until I get my 7* Kouga) with a Say Goodbye Sky Survey. It does the job (glad it isn't an Edge Riser, god that thing is useless).

But yeah, I'm doing the same thing with my HUne. I do carry Chronos Scythe as well, in case I need to quickly end single enemies. As Slicers are terrible for one close up enemy.

jmanx
Nov 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
In Ps0 ENEMIES CAN MISS YOU
EVA STAT GOGO!

sylwyn
Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
Yea eva is really noticable when even bosses in VH mode miss you

GHNeko
Nov 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
Wait. EVA/DFP matter against bosses in this game?

lolwtf

Allison_W
Nov 17, 2009, 06:00 PM
Wait. EVA/DFP matter against bosses in this game?

lolwtf

I noticed that in the first fight with the dragon in the human story, even a level 5 HUmarl takes zero damage from the dragon's physical attacks--all of them!--with a suit of +40 Scale Armour (3-star). No guard units, either (it's currently slotted with Hero/Swift x2 and Ace/Swift x2), no guard mats, no guard stat on PM.

That's a slightly extreme example, but armour definitely matters.

GHNeko
Nov 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
Wow. That's awesome.

Sega wins a little more each day.

Randomness
Nov 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
Haha... I love newman hunter evp. Screw defense, I'll just go berserk on your ass and pop resta now and then. I've also had fun using shields and their 100% block rate with a HUnewearl. I mean really... take off 10 PP to stop the lucky hit that got through my evade... not a drawback, I'll heal that much while pounding the boss.