PDA

View Full Version : Newman Story *SPOILERS GALORE*

Cranberry
Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
This entire topic is nothing but spoilers so if you don't want the Newman story spoiled leave now.

So I'm playing as a FOnewearl, and I just met up with Reve at the ruins and he's acting all big and bad. Apparently I'm now a traitor to the Newmans.

My reaction to this is rather positive. Now that I'm a traitor to the newmans, why stop here? I want to betray the humans too! My new plan for this game is to assemble an army of CASTs lead by 8 Robot masters and deploy them all over the world to help me wipe out humanity and rule the world. I was telling someone about this plan before I warped back to the city.

No sooner have I returned to the city and reported to the mayor than this game turned into Gundam Wing and an army of Casts fell from the sky. I can only assume my 8 Robot Masters have arrived to aid me in my plot! This is freaking epic. I love it when a plan comes together.

Assembly my CAST army and wipe out the pitiful humans! We shall build a new utopia for CASTS!

*Does Dr. Wily eyebrow thing.*

Niered
Nov 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
Y'know what pisses me off about that Robot invasion cutscene?

its a cutscene.

Honestly, the biggest travesty you can do in my opinion is to show an epic battle in an action RPG and not have the player participate. Yes yes yes, I realize, this is a DS game and they were cramming as much as they could into it in the first place, but these are the kinds of moments that COULD be perfect showcases for how great a game PSZ is, but instead manage to be nothing more than badly animated cutscenes.

Like I said, not a fan of that sorta storytelling, not in Video Games at least.

beatrixkiddo
Nov 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
Reve's character is laughably one-sided. Also, what exactly is the explanation behind fighting his ships repeatedly in sidequests/free roam? The other bosses can be (and in the case of Octo Diablo, are) explained to have produced children, but I don't think ships can do that!

Niered
Nov 17, 2009, 06:01 PM
Reve's character is laughably one-sided. Also, what exactly is the explanation behind fighting his ships repeatedly in sidequests/free roam? The other bosses can be (and in the case of Octo Diablo, are) explained to have produced children, but I don't think ships can do that!

MAGICAL NANOBOTS.

Whats more retarded than that is Sega completely ruining the sense of accomplishment the ending of the game has by basically explaining that Trinity/Falz will resurrect every other weekend apparently.

Oh thanks guys, its not like I was actually feeling good about saving the planet, nah, that would be silly and way to standard and well thought out a storyline. Lets just undermine my entire quest to save the world by making her respawn.

Honestly, they should have just not given any reason for her to still be alive. It would have made me feel a little better.

Randomness
Nov 17, 2009, 06:32 PM

Mass Production.

My gripe about the big robot attack is that Kai says it took 2 days of fighting to drive them off... and then I got 0 xp!

What was I doing, sleeping? (As if, when you do upwards of ten times the NPC damage)

Nidramag
Nov 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
Cranberry, I love you.

Still.

koikaze
Nov 18, 2009, 11:33 PM

its a cutscene.

Yeah, when I fist saw it I was like "cool now I get to save the city from baddass robots", but noooooo.... The dumb NPCs got to kill them with their 1 frame and sound effects. *pouts*

BIG OLAF
Nov 18, 2009, 11:38 PM

its a cutscene.

I, too, was extremely disappointed with that scene. I got all pumped up, watching the army of Finjir-R's come barreling towards Dairon City. I got ready for an epic battle in the urban setting of the city streets, only to be met with:

A couple of still frames of Kai/Sarisa/Mayor Dairon fighting off some of the bots. Then, a black screen, and Kai saying: "Whew. What an epic *2 day long* battle!".

Needless to say, I sighed. Heavily.

EDIT: Thinking about it a little more, the anime cutscenes in general disappointed me. Not that they were badly done, but each one was only, what, somewhere between 3-6 seconds long? Except for the Mother Trinity one, where she shoots the Photon Eraser at you. That one was like 10-12.

But, still, it's something Sega could have definitely presented better. The way they advertised PS0, I thought a good portion of the talking/cutscenes were going to be in that style. I was very wrong.

SebZero
Nov 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
It's amazing that the NPCs managed to hold off a significant enemy force for 2 days.

I can only assume they were aided by divine intervention.

koikaze
Nov 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
I can only assume they were aided by divine intervention.

Must have been, because I didn't do jack and I know for a fact that the NPCs aren't the best of fighters >.>

zling
Nov 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
for reves robots in a few side quests they are giant security devices of wherever you hapen to be

Padium
Nov 19, 2009, 12:52 AM
EDIT: Thinking about it a little more, the anime cutscenes in general disappointed me. Not that they were badly done, but each one was only, what, somewhere between 3-6 seconds long? Except for the Mother Trinity one, where she shoots the Photon Eraser at you. That one was like 10-12.

But, still, it's something Sega could have definitely presented better. The way they advertised PS0, I thought a good portion of the talking/cutscenes were going to be in that style. I was very wrong.

For that, my vote for DS game cutscenes goes to Square for FFCC Ring of Fates.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 01:27 AM
Must have been, because I didn't do jack and I know for a fact that the NPCs aren't the best of fighters >.>

Well lets see, apparently your character does nothing seeing as you dont get to fight, so thats Kai, Sarisa, and Ogi left as pretty much the only capable fighters in the entire city, minus the possibility of Dairon.

And theres, conservatively estimating, at least 300 Finjer R's storming a pretty much defenseless city, that also happens to be located in "low ground" giving it a distinct tactical disadvantage.

Now I'm not gonna load up a game to test this, but if I had to guess I very much doubt that even if I told Kai, Sarisa, and Ogi "Safety first!" They could survive combat against 3 Finjers without my help. So there chances of fending off 300+ of these thing in a tactically unsound environment are as likely as me getting a Yasminkov to drop from a Usanny.

In Normal.

Which leaves us with Dairon as the only thing that could possibly save this poor excuse for a city. Now, we'll assume he wastes no time rezzing the others, its just going to make him waste more time when he could be kicking ass. It may take him 2 days, but we'll assume as well that he must be using some kind of geurilla tactics too, which isnt out of the question since weve never seen him in a combat situation and its possible hes much more cunning than the other three dolts.

Coupled with what I can only assume to be a super rare saber (it cuts three finjers in half in one stroke, thats a saber with ungodly ATP and a multihitting ability apparently) and we can only make one assumption.

DAIRON IS FALZ.

SebZero
Nov 19, 2009, 01:40 AM
THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!

slimer1231
Nov 19, 2009, 01:50 AM
Mass Production.

My gripe about the big robot attack is that Kai says it took 2 days of fighting to drive them off... and then I got 0 xp!

What was I doing, sleeping? (As if, when you do upwards of ten times the NPC damage)

Why do you think it took them TWO DAYS to finish them?

It would have been less epic for you to beat them all off in 20 mins.

zetagear
Nov 19, 2009, 04:29 AM
no your character became pedo bear and played with the 2 kids in town ...