PDA

View Full Version : Best decade?

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
Vote and discuss.

Volcompat321
Nov 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
Well, since I was mainly around the 90's and 2000-now, I'd have to say the 90's was the best.
It was before bills :o (well, I started paying bills when I was 14(2002)).

Let's see, we have: Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Beetle Borgs, good cartoons, good movies before they were all remakes, SURGE! :o, before fat kids(jk lol), uh, those crazy MC Hammer pants(I have a pair actually), and those Zebra pants things; they were everywhere, and probably 10,000 other things.

90's 100%!

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well you didn't have to live in the decade you choose to vote on to appreciate it.

Zero Revenge
Nov 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
Fifties.

Back before everything fell to shit.

Our Grandparents' Generation were the best Americans probably since the birth of the nation.

Volcompat321
Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 AM
Well you didn't have to live in the decade you choose to vote on to appreciate it.

I know, but I liked it, and appreciated it the most.
Though, I will have to say living in the 1880's or so would have been awesome, I think.

I'm not into the whole cowboy thing, but I thought it was decent.
And I definitely like the idea of carrying guns. (though, I'd have a different attitude and outlook on the subject had I lived back then).

Oh, and if you can, you should put more options for the years.
1900-2010(close enough) I think.

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
You can still carry a gun.

And I'm not putting in the 2ks because it is not even a comparable decade. It's horrible. Same for the 70's.

Zero Revenge
Nov 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
And I definitely like the idea of carrying guns. (though, I'd have a different attitude and outlook on the subject had I lived back then).

You can still carry a gun now..? [Well, depending on the State...]

Edit: I love how the 70's aren't an Option either! XD Let's face it though. America's only gotten worse since the 50's.

Volcompat321
Nov 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
You can still carry a gun.

And I'm not putting in the 2ks because it is not even a comparable decade. It's horrible. Same for the 70's.
You can carry a gun, but now you need a permit to carry.
Wasn't the same back then.
Also, it's your opinion, and believe it or not, people may disagree.
I think you should add 1900-2010 at the very least.

You can still carry a gun now..? [Well, depending on the State...]

Edit: I love how the 70's aren't an Option either! XD Let's face it though. America's only gotten worse since the 50's.

Read above.
Also, it wasn't so great in the 50's either.
There will always be bad times, but I think we are doing fine as of now.
And times are getting better as we progress.

Then, you have to look at the technology.
Gets better with time, and will always.

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 03:27 PM
The 50's were the best because it was before 2nd-wave feminism, before the hippies and before racist laws like Affirmative Action. Also men wore cool hats and women didn't wear pants. What a great decade.

Outrider
Nov 19, 2009, 03:53 PM
Boy, the 1950s were great.

Oh wait, except for all that cultural subjugation of women, widespread racial inequality & rigidly-enforced gender roles, among other things.

I love the softly-lit fantasy version of the 1950s you often see on TV and in movies, though. Like in good ol' Back to the Future.

I would say the 90s, I guess? Most of my formative years took place then, so I've got a soft spot for it.

EDIT: Also, in defense of the 70s - if you ignore the disco crazy, we actually got a lot of great rock music out of the decade. So, there's that.

astuarlen
Nov 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm gonna go with the 60s, because that's when Troll dolls* were popularized.

*Not to be confused with the trolls in this thread, who I'd guess bear a 1990s vintage.

Oh wait, except for all that cultural subjugation of women, widespread racial inequality & rigidly-enforced gender roles, among other things.

The 1950s just keep going and going and going and going...

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 04:15 PM

I love the softly-lit fantasy version of the 1950s you often see on TV and in movies, though. Like in good ol' Back to the Future.

I would say the 90s, I guess? Most of my formative years took place then, so I've got a soft spot for it.

EDIT: Also, in defense of the 70s - if you ignore the disco crazy, we actually got a lot of great rock music out of the decade. So, there's that.

Women were not culturally subjugated. Do we forget that women were granted the right to vote in the early 1920's? There was racial inequality before the 50's and was worse before the 50's. And the gender roles existed because the birth control pill hadn't yet been released. It was released in 1961. Are you saying that all of history before 1961 was bad and full of evil, evil men?

The 90's was nothing but "80's lite". The same type of loose clothing and the same type of...pretty much everything. Except worse. Boring.

Rock music? Elvis came about before the 70's remember? Jazz and Rock 'n Roll are king!

Delete
Nov 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the 90's. So many great TV shows like X-Men, Spiderman, DarkWing Duck, and so many others. There was a load of good music/movies as well. I do happen to like a little selection of 80's music, though that's mainly from listening to it on the countless hours I spent on GTA Vice City.

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the 90's. So many great TV shows like X-Men, Spiderman, DarkWing Duck, and so many others. There was a load of good music/movies as well. I do happen to like a little selection of 80's music, though that's mainly from listening to it on the countless hours I spent on GTA Vice City.

Well Tim Burton's Batman movie came out in the 1980's which proves my point on how the 90's just took everything from the 80's and copied it. ie. Batman The Animated Series.

And as far as music it was good until Green Day came out in 1994. It's all been downhill since then. That is why the 80's has better music in comparison to the 90's.

Shadowpawn
Nov 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't see what purpose this topic serves, I mean most of the people on this forum were either born in the 90's or 80's so if course there's going to be a slant in favor of the 90's or possibly the 80's. I'm not going to pretend that I have a fondness for a decade I wasn't old enough to live in or culturally appreciate just because I happened to read about it in a periodical or something. That's just looking at history through rose tinted glasses.

Outrider
Nov 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Women were not culturally subjugated. Do we forget that women were granted the right to vote in the early 1920's? There was racial inequality before the 50's and was worse before the 50's. And the gender roles existed because the birth control pill hadn't yet been released. It was released in 1961. Are you saying that all of history before 1961 was bad and full of evil, evil men?

The 90's was nothing but "80's lite". The same type of loose clothing and the same type of...pretty much everything. Except worse. Boring.

Rock music? Elvis came about before the 70's remember? Jazz and Rock 'n Roll are king!

I don't think you could've done a better job of not understanding the points in my post if you hadn't read it at all.

You also have a bizarrely inaccurate understanding of history.

Hagaishi
Nov 19, 2009, 06:01 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks the 80's we'er hott! But you cant blame me, Im a 80's baby!8-)

beatrixkiddo
Nov 19, 2009, 06:02 PM
1920's.
http://zeynepkinli.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/a_flapper.jpg
Need I say more?

joefro
Nov 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
I voted 90's because I think some cool stuff happened there. I really wanted to vote for the 70's though, because that's when the Dharma Initiative started.

Leviathan
Nov 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
1920's.
http://zeynepkinli.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/a_flapper.jpg
Need I say more?

Right on!

I do love the 70's.

90's were awright.

BahnKnakyu
Nov 20, 2009, 12:40 AM
1990's.

Cos that's when I lived my childhood in.

Shattered_weasel
Nov 20, 2009, 02:52 AM
Well Tim Burton's Batman movie came out in the 1980's which proves my point on how the 90's just took everything from the 80's and copied it. ie. Batman The Animated Series.

NO! NO! NOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You stop that! NO!

Retehi
Nov 20, 2009, 05:41 AM
20's, 30's, 40's, 50's.

Yeah I didn't live in them, but to hell with you and what I should and shouldn't like.

Early 90's though for current lifetime.

Squirrel3D
Nov 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
The 50's were the best because it was before 2nd-wave feminism, before the hippies and before racist laws like Affirmative Action.

And it's funny how all that started happening in the 60's and onward. Defintly tells you what america used to be like between then and now.

By the way, I voted for 80's. I'm a product of the early 80's (october 2 1982 to be exact) and some of the greatest things came from that era.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 20, 2009, 02:50 PM
90s are great altho i wasnt alive 4 half of it most of my fav music came from that decade or at least the bands started then

Kylie
Nov 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
Why is there no option for th 70's? I would have voted for that.

Or the 20's if there was an option for that.

Rasputin
Nov 20, 2009, 07:32 PM
90s. Why? Cause I recently watched VH1's top 100 songs of the 90s and took a badass trip down nostalgia lane.

Rubius-sama
Nov 20, 2009, 07:58 PM
80's because it was the golden age of metal, before all this synthesized crap that plays on the radio.

washuguy
Nov 23, 2009, 06:03 PM
90s no doubt... Fresh prince...? Pokemon....? Enough said

Outrider
Nov 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
90s no doubt... Fresh prince...? Pokemon....? Enough said

Amen, brother.

Epically Leet
Nov 23, 2009, 06:39 PM
I love how the majority in here don't know that the apostrophe comes before the numbers, not after. For an example, it's "'90s", not "90's". Remember, the numbers we are removing comes before the 9, not after the 0 -- and the apostrophe is there to indicate the removal of a number or letter, just like when you contract words. Simple rules.

But enough about that shit. I'm not exactly great at grammar myself. It's a slight pet peeve, though. I sincerely apologize.

...BUT ON TOPIC I SHALL!

The '80s, definitely. Greatest cartoons, great games, awesome heavy metal... It had everything I needed. Too bad I was born in the early '90s. :P Oh well. The '90s had some good stuff as well, at least the early '90s.