PDA

View Full Version : Why Phantasy Star Zero has the upper hand over Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Zencidal
Nov 19, 2009, 03:32 PM
I've been playing both PSZ and PSP2 demo and I see that everyone who played PSP2 say it's the "PSZ" killer, even though it may seem like it, I still don't agree here are my views:

1. PSP2 is just a updated Port of universe with a little bit of tweaks, I STILL DON'T LIKE PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE EVEN IF YOU UPDATE IT. [it's my opinion I just didn't enjoy it]

Now for the real reason.

PSO ran on servers, soon those servers shut down. [The End]
PSU runs on servers, which will shut down maybe in a few years, since the subscription will keep it up, it will be around for a while but in the end PSU WILL DIE ONE DAY DON't DENY IT NO MATTER HOW SAD IT IS. [for anyone who likes it :]]

Now we have Phantasy Star Portable 2, a PSP game that also runs on servers without a subscription fee.

Servers = you need money = no money = dead.
It's not going to last a while and I don't think the little dlc items from psn will keep it up much longer.

Now I'm looking at it like this.

They didn't even want to give us free DLC[Phantasy Star Portable 1 US] what makes you think that we are going to get years of happy never ending servers on PSP2.

While Phantasy Star Zero runs on the DS's wifi system, and I don't look at it like a giant server with maintenance, it's a system, so really PSZ will never die. [hypothetically]

Burnsro
Nov 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
In the future PSZ will have a small niche audience like PSO has currently.

Zencidal
Nov 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
In the future PSZ will have a small niche audience like PSO has currently.

Most likely the legits which is nice to know and I can deal with that.

Mysterious-G
Nov 19, 2009, 03:46 PM
I would not compare a full game with a demo.
Wait a few more weeks and then judge again.

Zencidal
Nov 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
I would not compare a full game with a demo.
Wait a few more weeks and then judge again.

I'm not judging the game itself, I'm stating the fact that it's ran under a server, which is giving PSZ a advantage. and the fact the PSP2 server won't last long since there is no subscription fee which is what they use to keep it up in the first place for most MMORPGs.

zling
Nov 19, 2009, 03:49 PM
the problem is that i dont think it will take too long to get every item and get to max lvl in psz and once you do whats the point? also the rarest items are single player only so once you get the best stuff outside of the tower (which probably isnt too hard) there isnt really a point of playin online

Zencidal
Nov 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
the problem is that i dont think it will take too long to get every item and get to max lvl in psz and once you do whats the point? also the rarest items are single player only so once you get the best stuff outside of the tower (which probably isnt too hard) there isnt really a point of playin online

Even though I clearly see what you're saying is true but I remember the people who reached 200 in PSO and had their maxed out mags and all their rare weapons, they still continued to play because its a different experience when you play online with other people.

But that's for some people, others may just leave which is very understandable.

Akaimizu
Nov 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
Both versions allow play with choices involved. It looks like both will support adhoc and infrastructure connections. This is usually key in making sure a game survives long after any kind of infrastructure server goes down. (Not that it's impossible for folks to perhaps give one or the other, the PSO private server treatment).

PSP2, like it or not, has a lot of fundamental gameplay changes from PSU; and these changes have a possibility of being quite admired. Not to mention, Challenge Mode, Battle Mode. A lot of stuff players wanted, they got. Those add a lot of longetivity to a game. And of course, SEGA is throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the development and funding of PSP2.

On the other hand, I don't see it as much of a competition. The smart thing they did was to design the two games still with different battle systems, even though some of the PSZ ideas went into PSP2. This means the distinction, between the two, keep each other fresh.

I plan to enjoy both, as I do enjoy some of the differences made in PSP2's system, and I also enjoyed the general free flowing feeling of combat that PSU introduced. Though I kind of wished more effort into a good replacement for the timed-combo system in PSO was used in PSU. Something that would keep combat more player-active. But even combat, was taken into consideration in PSP2, in which even techers and gunners got more variety in their combat (in terms of making best use of it).

What PSZ has, is that it's the closest thing to Phantasy Star Online's play-system, for a Portable system. PSP2, is kind of the new *latest engine* stuff.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 04:09 PM
1. PSP2 is just a updated Port of universe with a little bit of tweaks, I STILL DON'T LIKE PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE EVEN IF YOU UPDATE IT. [it's my opinion I just didn't enjoy it]

Exactly. Do you know what we call taking a bad piece of art and working on it until it has good technique in the illustration world?

Polishing a turd.

No matter how much you try to gloss over it, PSU has some major fundamental design issues, and as long as SEGA keeps on making PSU derivatives, that will always be the case. Sega is simply polishing the turd that is PSU.

PSZ is not an all around departure from PSO, meaning that in a sense its just polishing another game. The difference of course being that PSO was a good game to start with, and PSZ is more of a modern update to a decade old game. PSP2 is an update to a 4 year old game that was never any good.

Mute City
Nov 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
PSU wasn't exactly a horrible game. It was actually pretty fun when everything worked out. The major problem with PSU wasn't that the game suck, it was that SEGA had horrible support and an even worse content release schedule.
The updates PSP2 brings to the formula, and some of the other tweaks lead me to believe PSP2 will be everything PSU SHOULD HAVE been, including a very fun game.
Now about the servers and losing support after a while...Well...Maybe, maybe not.

Zencidal
Nov 19, 2009, 04:32 PM
Exactly. Do you know what we call taking a bad piece of art and working on it until it has good technique in the illustration world?

Polishing a turd.

No matter how much you try to gloss over it, PSU has some major fundamental design issues, and as long as SEGA keeps on making PSU derivatives, that will always be the case. Sega is simply polishing the turd that is PSU.

PSZ is not an all around departure from PSO, meaning that in a sense its just polishing another game. The difference of course being that PSO was a good game to start with, and PSZ is more of a modern update to a decade old game. PSP2 is an update to a 4 year old game that was never any good.

I do agree with you.

In my opinion, I look at it as taking Superman 64 and making a remake of it for the 360 with small updates. it's still going to have problems.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 19, 2009, 04:36 PM

well playin mutliplayer is more fun imo
thats a reason

Mute City
Nov 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
I do agree with you.

In my opinion, I look at it as taking Superman 64 and making a remake of it for the 360 with small updates. it's still going to have problems.

Except the analogy doesn't carry over, because PSP2 is receiving major upgrades to the PSU formula, and PSP one already fixed a lot of the problems.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 07:11 PM
Except the analogy doesn't carry over, because PSP2 is receiving major upgrades to the PSU formula, and PSP one already fixed a lot of the problems.

Actually you just proved my point in your own statement.

receiving major upgrades

upgrading = polishing.

They are still using the same broken game. They're just adding to it. This is exactly what I said, ere-go, the analogy fits perfectly.

BIG OLAF
Nov 19, 2009, 07:27 PM
Actually you just proved my point in your own statement.

receiving major upgrades

upgrading = polishing.

They are still using the same broken game. They're just adding to it. This is exactly what I said, ere-go, the analogy fits perfectly.

Just to clarify, are you saying that if a Phantasy Star game isn't just like or close to PSO (as PSZ is pretty close), that it can never be good?* If that is indeed what you are implying, then you need to broaden your horizons a little bit, and not condemn PSP2 to failure just because it uses the same basic mechanics of PSU. PSO was a good game, but it wasn't/isn't the "end-all, be-all" that people seem to make it out to be. In fact, and this is semi-off topic, I never really cared much for PSO (though, as I said, it was/is a good game).

*However, if that isn't what you're saying, then disregard this post.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 07:36 PM
Just to clarify, are you saying that if a Phantasy Star game isn't just like or close to PSO (as PSZ is pretty close), that it can never be good?* If that is indeed what you are implying, then you need to broaden your horizons a little bit, and not condemn PSP2 to failure just because it uses the same basic mechanics of PSU. PSO was a good game, but it wasn't/isn't the "end-all, be-all" that people seem to make it out to be. In fact, and this is semi-off topic, I never really cared much for PSO (though, as I said, it was/is a good game).

*However, if that isn't what you're saying, then disregard this post.

Disregarding your post. Because thats not at all what I am saying.

Dont get me wrong, I love PSZ, but I am willing to admit that it simply would not make a good console game. Its too PSO derivative, and although thats why I like it, I think more upgrades would be needed before it could possibly distance itself enough from PSO to be its own game and warrant a console release.

I think that phantasy star needs to reinvent itself in order to continue being a good franchise. The reason why I'm railing against PSU, (And PSP and PSP2 for that matter) is because its simply NOT a good evolution for the series. I want a new game, but I want a new GOOD game.

Akaimizu
Nov 19, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'll just have to agree to disagree here. The fundamentals changed from PSU to PSP2 are fundamental improvements, in my opinion. What you see is the carried over broken engine isn't what I see is carried over. I personally think PSU had some good ideas, but the ideas I think should've been improved are the ones PSP2 did improve. I guess not everybody sees the same parts of the game engine as the issue.

BIG OLAF
Nov 19, 2009, 07:44 PM
The reason why I'm railing against PSU, (And PSP and PSP2 for that matter) is because its simply NOT a good evolution for the series.

That's a heavily opinionated statement, which is fine. Everyone's got one. I, personally, love how Sega made PSU (and, by extension, PSP/2). It was a great leap forward from PSO's clunky combat, though I'll admit that Sega could have done more with PSU's gameplay and presentation. Go ahead and say I have bad taste and/or am stupid for liking PSU, but that won't change the fact that I enjoy what it offers, and will continue to play it until the servers go down.

I want a new game, but I want a new GOOD game.

You have no idea if PSP2 will be a good game or not. As I said, don't condemn it just because it follows PSU's basic parameters. From what I've seen, it's quite different, gameplay-wise.

Mike
Nov 19, 2009, 07:45 PM
This thread feels like a flat out attempt to cause strife.

Allison_W
Nov 19, 2009, 07:45 PM

Polishing a turd.

I don't know what "major fundamental design issues" you're talking about (especially ones that it doesn't share with PSO and PSZ in the first place), aside from it not satisfying your PSO nostalgia fetish. The single biggest problem with PSU is Sega's dreadful support and updating, and a whole lot of the original's gameplay issues are being fixed in PSP2--it's not "minor polishing and tweaking" so much as a major overhaul. That, and like PSZ, it will almost certainly launch with all of the on-disc content unlocked from the start.

I like PSZ, and I like PSU, and I will continue to play both. And when PSP2 comes stateside, I'll play that too--I may or may not end up leaving PSU for it. That's a decision I'll make once I've found out for myself how hard PSP2's design improvements make it to go back to PSU.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
My opinion of PSP:2 is that its being advertised as a PSU "sequel" (perhaps version is more apt). So basing my opinion of it off of that seems like pretty sensible decision. If I ever happened to pick up the game and find that that wasn't the case, then I would be sure to give it all the praise it warranted.

Simple fact is, if I hated PSU, I see little reason why I would end up enjoying PSP:2. If I hate chocolate ice cream, I doubt I'll like rocky road.

Niered
Nov 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
I don't know what "major fundamental design issues" you're talking about (especially ones that it doesn't share with PSO and PSZ in the first place), aside from it not satisfying your PSO nostalgia fetish.

Urgh. Stop assuming this. You and everyone else that assume everyone that hates PSU hates it because of nostalgia are flat out wrong. Your doing it because its an easy way to vindicate yourself, and your just trying to make us PSU critics look like old fogey's that want their child hood back.

Im not calling you a 14 year old noob in my argument because that would be a stupid assumption as well, so please, kindly, stop.

The reason I, and so many others, disliked PSU and PSP is simple. It's a bad game. This isn't just personal opinion, its popular opinion. People that never played PSO didnt like PSU, because it just isn't a good action RPG. The areas, enemies, and especially bosses are monotonous and overly similar. The crafting system has nothing to do with reward for hard work and everything to do with dumb luck. The content is rehashed more times than was originally imaginable (C-S2 missions? Seriously? 5 difficulties so that SEGA can force you to play the same stage over and over?) The combat is incredibly boring, especially for Rangers, and the "open class system" was only implemented as yet one other way to artificially lengthen the game.

I want a new PS game. I want one that only bares the slightest of resemblances to PSO. I want the series to evolve into a brand new style of action RPG that stands up as a worthy successor to the kind of game PSO was.

But, and this is where PSU falls flat on its face, I want a good game. And polish it as much as you want, PSU is not a good game.

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 04:42 AM
It'd probably be easier to get your message across by trying to figure out what makes a good online action RPG and putting PSU to the test against that.

While a lot of what you're saying has some basis, a lot of it is opinionated/subjective with bits and pieces of it having actual merit.

Just saying. I'm like this with Brawl and how it's a terribad competitive game in comparison to Melee.

Get your standards, and see how well the games in question stack up. :V

At least that way you're arguement is a lot strong if you can get the info you need.

Niered
Nov 20, 2009, 04:55 AM
Heres some info:

If I told you you were expected to play a game for 500+ hours in order to max a character, but that that whole time you would only ever fight 4 different bosses, and a dozen or so enemy types, would that sound like a good time?

What if I asked you if you thought it was a good idea that there were only around 20 different environments you would play in those 500+ hours? That you would be playing the same areas you had started out in as a level 1, even when you were level 100 because each stage has 5 different difficulty settings?

What if I asked you if you thought it sounded fun that as a ranged character you would spend 90% of the game tapping only one button repeatedly, all the while doing nothing more than strafing between enemies?

What if I told you that during that entire time you would probably hit the level cap well in advance of the next content release, forcing you to sit on your thumbs and continue paying the monthly fee while you idly grind Photon arts and superfluous job types you will never use?

What if I told you that even after you ran the same area over numerous times and finally got that rare board, that you still had to go grind other areas for materials, and then hope that your measly 25% chance of crafting it after a 12 hour wait would actually work?

Sounds like a great time huh?

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 05:00 AM
To one his own, really.

And half of those things were in PSO as well. <_>

You just didn't notice because you were too busy enjoying time with people online. :V

Niered
Nov 20, 2009, 05:03 AM
To one his own, really.

And half of those things were in PSO as well. <_>

You just didn't notice because you were too busy enjoying time with people online. :V

PSO is also 6 years and 2 console generations older than PSU. Darwin's Finches evolve faster than that.

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 05:09 AM
Point. However, my statement of to one his own still stands.

Like I said. You'd need a standard to really get your point across.

What makes a good online action RPG? how is PSO a better one than PSU via these standards. etc etc.

That's basically all you need to shut down most, if not all the opposition imo.

Niered
Nov 20, 2009, 05:16 AM
i just made a list of questions. Few of those were opinions. Honestly, how many current console action RPG's have 4 bosses reskinned 5 times each? I guess having only 4 bosses isnt really that bad, but when its so blatantly obvious that sega just phoned in every boss after de ragan, magahna, and dimmagolus its really just a disservice to you as a gamer to even put up with there shit.

And yes, to each his own. Lets just keep in mind that for every person that continues to support the red headed stepchild of the series, your really just giving sega less of a reason to support a psz sequel.

Its really no different from buying current gen sonic games.

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 05:22 AM
please dont mention current gen sonic games within my presence. my stomach churns with pain whenever they're brought up.

blah.

anywho, PSO is not without its flaws as first 3 difficulties are nothing but the same thing with jacked up numbers and doesnt really change until ultimate in which the enemies are reskinned and giving new stuff but are for the most part the same.

the whole entire game is nothing more than a grindfest into a red box treasure hunt. What kept PSO fresh were the release of the episodes (excluding 3) and how players generally got a greater sense of satisfaction for accomplishment because of the sheer difficulty of doing things and the human nature to succeed.

PSO and PSU have a lot in common at base, but go about it in such different ways.

it's just a matter of which one does it in a way that would be better for an addictive online RPG.

tbh, PSO is more along those lines because it has more of the qualities of an MMORPG than PSU.

and MMORPGs are generally just addicting.

Akaimizu
Nov 20, 2009, 06:00 AM
PSP2 solved the ranger issue. The gameplay for them is more dynamic in PSP2. One of the big fundamental changes to the system was to give rangers actual Photon Arts instead of calling elements a Photon Art with them. And these are pulled off with a different button. Elements and Photon Arts are separated now and they use PSO's method of getting better techs for Photon Arts now. That means you can concentrate on using the most effective stuff for a situation, and not spend all that time raising stuff. There's a new combo system in place, which was actually originally taken from Phantasy Star Zero's system, but embellished. PSP2 has the look of PSP1, initially, but they mostly went back to the drawing board and rewrote much of the combat systems.

The combo system basically is a method of trying to build up a combo on enemies, which in turn, make whatever Photon Arts used to finish said combo, more powerful. Of course, when the combo finisher happens, the number on the mob flashes, alerting those paying attention to unleash their photon art to take advantage of it, before the number disappears. There isn't a lot of time, so people have to be on their toes. Of course, the gun Photon Arts kind of resemble those in Phantasy Star Zero...trick shots, major blasts, acrobatics, etc. Gunners now have new ways to look flashy and cool, along with new ways to be effective.

Techs now have a combo aspect to them, which is actually a fundamental change to techs that's something neither PSO or PSU ever did before. However, these were discussed in the actual PSP2 board, and common knowledge there.

Still, most of those *what if I told you* issues were specific to PSU. PSP2, for the most part, addresses all of them. Just because PSP2 initial screenshots look similar to PSP, doesn't mean they didn't revamp the system. They actually did. Outside the fact that you can still strafe, the free running system is still there (ie. no PSO walk a few steps then run aspect), there is a first person cam for guns, and you can still make characters look like PSU characters, and the presence of familiar environments from previous PS releases, I would say the majority of other stuff changed. Even the concept of classes and weapon access is handled differently in PSP2 than any previous incarnation of the series.

Niered
Nov 20, 2009, 06:10 AM
PSP:2 may very well fix most of the problems in PSU.

Too bad it still took them an expansion pack, 4 years of "content" releases, and 2 portable versions before they could do that. Kind've says alot about the base game doesn't it?

Allison_W
Nov 20, 2009, 08:46 AM

Too bad it still took them an expansion pack, 4 years of "content" releases, and 2 portable versions before they could do that. Kind've says alot about the base game doesn't it?

Not really, no; it says more about Sega's development priorities and how they've only recently come back around to investing in the Phantasy Star franchise. Need I remind you that PSO was pretty sparse to start with, and that its own evolution involved two new episodes released after the initial version (Episodes II and IV, not counting III here) and then some. Good job grasping at straws, though.

In any case, I will support PSP2 as I supported PSZ, and can you please take your horror stories about how PSU ruined your life elsewhere because everyone's heard it before and it's getting older than dirt.

Itchee
Nov 20, 2009, 09:27 AM
Heres some info:

If I told you you were expected to play a game for 500+ hours in order to max a character, but that that whole time you would only ever fight 4 different bosses, and a dozen or so enemy types, would that sound like a good time?

What if I asked you if you thought it was a good idea that there were only around 20 different environments you would play in those 500+ hours? That you would be playing the same areas you had started out in as a level 1, even when you were level 100 because each stage has 5 different difficulty settings?

What if I asked you if you thought it sounded fun that as a ranged character you would spend 90% of the game tapping only one button repeatedly, all the while doing nothing more than strafing between enemies?

What if I told you that during that entire time you would probably hit the level cap well in advance of the next content release, forcing you to sit on your thumbs and continue paying the monthly fee while you idly grind Photon arts and superfluous job types you will never use?

What if I told you that even after you ran the same area over numerous times and finally got that rare board, that you still had to go grind other areas for materials, and then hope that your measly 25% chance of crafting it after a 12 hour wait would actually work?

Thats a great synopsis of why I dont play PSU anymore.
That being said, I really enjoyed PSP because I wasnt shelling out a monthly fee for it and character progression didnt feel quite as much like a trip to the dentist as it does in PSU. Unfortunately, it has no real online, so it was quickly relegated to collecting dust. If PSP2 capitalizes more on the good things about PSP and distances itself from the bad parts of PSU, then i personally will play the crap out of it.

Mysterious-G
Nov 20, 2009, 09:52 AM

It also shows that the players must like the concept that is behind PSU, since they keep coming back (=buy the new versions) despite how often they quitted it in the past.

I personally had no complains about PSU until the content got dry. But that took a while and I enjoyed the long, long time before that. Back then AoI took PSU to a whole new level and PSP2 will do the same again. I have no doubts AoI will die very soon, because it simply has nothing left to prove now, but we will see about PSP2.

And we will see how long people will praise PSZ before they notice its flaws. That happens with most games, eventually.

SquashDemon
Nov 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
...hate to say this, but PSZ is run by nintendo WFC, a network of servers that handle all utu connections between NDS consoles, this means that once the age of the DS ends, nintendo WFC will shut down, so in that light, PSZ will only live as long as its' host console.

Akaimizu
Nov 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
Not really. Adhoc will keep it alive. Fortunately for the Portable versions of the Phantasy Star Franchise, they don't rely on a host server to play them in their entire form. This is the big difference between them and the console versions.

It can live as long as people hold onto a DS. That could be a while now. Some folk still have their original Genesis or Nintendo systems. Some people still have an Atari 2600 somewhere. :) Of course, if some game comes along to make people forget about playing PSZ, then that will be the main thing to do it. But it could still be available, if they don't get rid of their systems.

landman
Nov 20, 2009, 10:07 AM
PSO ran on servers, soon those servers shut down. [The End]
PSU runs on servers, which will shut down maybe in a few years, since the subscription will keep it up, it will be around for a while but in the end PSU WILL DIE ONE DAY DON't DENY IT NO MATTER HOW SAD IT IS. [for anyone who likes it :]]
That's fine with me, this is called "to move on" into a new game, I enjoyed PSO, and it came to an end for me, far before sega ended it, and I'm enjoying the present games, and waiting for the new ones :)

PSO is also 6 years and 2 console generations older than PSU. Darwin's Finches evolve faster than that.
HAHA, Dreamcast and Playstation 2 are on the same generation, sir.

SquashDemon
Nov 20, 2009, 10:32 AM
Not really. Adhoc will keep it alive. Fortunately for the Portable versions of the Phantasy Star Franchise, they don't rely on a host server to play them in their entire form. This is the big difference between them and the console versions.

It can live as long as people hold onto a DS. That could be a while now. Some folk still have their original Genesis or Nintendo systems. Some people still have an Atari 2600 somewhere. :) Of course, if some game comes along to make people forget about playing PSZ, then that will be the main thing to do it. But it could still be available, if they don't get rid of their systems.

That still spells the end of the online aspect of PSZ. After all, I can't travel to california just to trade for a few photon drops.

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well, knowing how obsessed the community is. I wouldnt be surprised if someone created a way to trick the DS to connected to a different server via homebrew and we conntinue our WFC from that. lmao.

Obsessed players do the most marvelous things.

Lunar_Furor
Nov 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
Heres some info:

These points sounded a lot like PSO to me... Only you only get 4 level difficulties, and even less areas... Psz takes some controls and play ideas such as lock on, targeting, photon art, feeding mags items like weapons, the npc party is very similar, titles and even some sounds are the same. I don't hate PSU (I actually liked it a bit) but I like PSO/0 more, however we have to be careful when pointing out the negatives of PSU and being sure that those negatives ARE, in fact, of PSU only... like the fricken 'ammo' system for guns... god I hated that. And yes the servers will go down, and SOME people will be screwed, there will always still be 'those' servers not to be named that can technically be used, even if not now, someone will figure it out.

Arikado
Nov 20, 2009, 12:35 PM
The main difference between PSO and PSU is that PSO was "unlocked" from the start, PSU is only being locked due to Sega wanting to make more profit out of the game.

EDIT: If PSU had been unlocked from the start, I might have enjoyed it but like Niered said, it was only about waiting on updates, to finally grind the content in a weekend of time with good players, then wait another 3 months+ for new content.

A lot of players started playing PSU at like level 100+, I started 4 days after it came out because I couldn't get the PS2 version anywhere, so yeah I had my share of waiting on content, maxing all my PAs on my 4 charas etc.

EDIT: Let's not forget PC/PS2 servers had a bunch of hackers, so that ruined it too for me, perhaps if I started on 360 from Day 1 i'd still be playing today.

Lunar_Furor
Nov 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
I sold psu for the 360 because I hate it... ABSOLUTELY HATE IT, when a service on a console makes me pay for online. On the PC I'm willing to pay a monthly fee. Because it's one service. But I pay for internet, then XBL, and then they want me to pay for PSU subscription or w/e? I'll pass.

Arikado
Nov 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
I sold psu for the 360 because I hate it... ABSOLUTELY HATE IT, when a service on a console makes me pay for online. On the PC I'm willing to pay a monthly fee. Because it's one service. But I pay for internet, then XBL, and then they want me to pay for PSU subscription or w/e? I'll pass.Aren't you paying for Xbox Live either ways though? I mean i'd play on 360 servers if I were you because they had no hacks mainly.

I'm one of the few guys that refused given 99 mils meseta on PC/PS2 servers, the day they fixed it, I was screwed, everyone had 8 x 99 mil Meseta while I had my legit 10m. >_>;

Lunar_Furor
Nov 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah but that's my point. I'm ALREADY paying for XBL, which puts me in contact with the people already! Every other game I have ever wanted and have has 'free online' BECAUSE of it's compatibility with XBL. If someone is hacking on XBL, and caught, they will be banned. So I find it utterly redundant to charge me for an online system that doesn't need to exist. If it were like 5 usd sure, that'd be fine. But 15 usd a month (correct me if I'm wrong) is quite a bit for me. I only make about 1.2k a month, and live w/ my mom for now (she's moving to Tennessee in a few years so if I stay here I get to stay in the house and just take over the bills) and while I can support my self on that money 15 a month is about 2 weeks of food for me. It's basically a shell thing. PSU, inside Xbl, inside internet. I don't like the idea that if this is allowed to go on, and other companies pick it up, and I just so happen to like the games, I'll have to pay 60 usd for the game AND x usd a month PER GAME. I don't like it.

landman
Nov 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've been playing PSU for two years without paying for xbox live... I just went gold a year ago and I'm paying for both (and hardly using any of them lol)

beatrixkiddo
Nov 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah but that's my point. I'm ALREADY paying for XBL, which puts me in contact with the people already! Every other game I have ever wanted and have has 'free online' BECAUSE of it's compatibility with XBL. If someone is hacking on XBL, and caught, they will be banned. So I find it utterly redundant to charge me for an online system that doesn't need to exist. If it were like 5 usd sure, that'd be fine. But 15 usd a month (correct me if I'm wrong) is quite a bit for me. I only make about 1.2k a month, and live w/ my mom for now (she's moving to Tennessee in a few years so if I stay here I get to stay in the house and just take over the bills) and while I can support my self on that money 15 a month is about 2 weeks of food for me. It's basically a shell thing. PSU, inside Xbl, inside internet. I don't like the idea that if this is allowed to go on, and other companies pick it up, and I just so happen to like the games, I'll have to pay 60 usd for the game AND x usd a month PER GAME. I don't like it.

a) You don't need Live to play PSU.
b) Just because you HAVE Live already doesn't mean it's outlandish of SEGA (who doesn't profit from Live) to charge for THEIR service.
c) 9 dollars a month out of 1200 isn't very much.
d) 15 bucks is two weeks of food? Do you eat nothing but ramen?

Zencidal
Nov 20, 2009, 05:52 PM
a) You don't need Live to play PSU.
b) Just because you HAVE Live already doesn't mean it's outlandish of SEGA (who doesn't profit from Live) to charge for THEIR service.
c) 9 dollars a month out of 1200 isn't very much.
d) 15 bucks is two weeks of food? Do you eat nothing but ramen?

Good point, I played PSU for a month with only silver which is free and I didn't find $9 a big hassle per month.
I just didn't have fun so I left.

Niered
Nov 20, 2009, 07:55 PM
HAHA, Dreamcast and Playstation 2 are on the same generation, sir.

Oh yes, because it wasn't like the game came out near the end of that consoles lifetime, and for the 360 as well no less.

Your point does nothing more than highlight the fact that PSU came out so long after PSO, that It should have been an improvement. Instead it was downgrade. I was using that as an example of how much better the series should have gotten in that period of time.

In any case, I'm finished arguing this point. Ive made a clear and thorough argument as to why PSU is an awful, cheap attempt at an Online Action RPG, by continuing to dissect minute parts of my statements you do nothing more than validate the ones you avoid. Have fun playing a game where "patches" are nothing more than bytes of unlock data, and the bosses and enemies are all reskins. Hope you don't get bored playing that same mission highlight for a month straight, and don't forget that your server populations are smaller than diablo's.

BIG OLAF
Nov 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
Have fun playing* a game where "patches" are nothing more than bytes of unlock data, and the bosses and enemies are all reskins. Hope you don't get bored playing that same mission highlight for a month straight, and don't forget that your server populations are smaller than diablo's.

* Thanks. I will (once I get my 'Box back, of course). :roll:

landman
Nov 21, 2009, 04:47 AM
Oh yes, because it wasn't like the game came out near the end of that consoles lifetime, and for the 360 as well no less.

Your point does nothing more than highlight the fact that PSU came out so long after PSO, that It should have been an improvement. Instead it was downgrade. I was using that as an example of how much better the series should have gotten in that period of time.
It's on 360 but it's still a PS2 port, PSO is a Dreamcast game ported to Gamecube, Xbox and PC, and PSU is a Playstation 2 game ported to 360 and PC, they are the same generation, in two very similar systems, PS2 didn't even have the HD at the time because Sony stopped giving support to it, the mechanics could not improve too much between a DC game and a PS2 game, but it did greatly, for a PS2 vs DC game.

Have fun playing a game where "patches" are nothing more than bytes of unlock data
At least it has regular patches, pso had like a new online mission twice a year.

and the bosses and enemies are all reskins.
Welcome to 2000, game: PSO, let me introduce you to the booma family all along the Forest, Caves and Ruins! and PSU has as much reskined bosses as PSO, but PSU has more bosses than PSO

Hope you don't get bored playing that same mission highlight for a month straight
Towards the Future.

Pillan
Nov 21, 2009, 10:25 AM
After playing both Phantasy Star Zero and Phantasy Star Portable 2, I have to say I like Phantasy Star Portable 2 more because it combines the fast-paced action of Phantasy Star Universe with all the new features in Phantasy Star Zero.

To be honest, I found PSZ pretty difficult to get into because of the slower, more ridged combat that was further limited by the lack of a control stick. And the photon art charge system takes so long as a ranger that I generally find myself wanting to just tap attack rather than going for an art at all. The lack of PSU's action pallet also makes it much more difficult to switch weapons and use more than three items as well. I'd say my absolute favorite feature of PSP2 over PSZ is that the NPCs get back up 30 seconds after they die.

But, yeah, I really don't see anything left to complain about with PSU in PSP2 besides maybe the lack of Mags. Mags were hard to balance and ended up overpowering characters early on anyway, so I'm actually glad they were removed. Humans and Newmans have photon blasts now, the races have been rebalanced, all the levels are unlocked through story mode (like PSO/Z), it has a free online for however long that lasts and I'm sure someone will make niche servers whenever it expires, and it just plain has more to enjoy.

As a note, I do like PSZ for the nostalgia factor, but not for much more than that.

Also, I hope no one really believes any game's servers will last forever. Nintendo is going to move onto a new hand held, as they do every decade, and eventually PSZ will go down as well. But that's the issue with all videogames and technology in general: it becomes dated and people move on to newer, better things.

Zencidal
Nov 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
After playing both Phantasy Star Zero and Phantasy Star Portable 2, I have to say I like Phantasy Star Portable 2 more because it combines the fast-paced action of Phantasy Star Universe with all the new features in Phantasy Star Zero.

To be honest, I found PSZ pretty difficult to get into because of the slower, more ridged combat that was further limited by the lack of a control stick. And the photon art charge system takes so long as a ranger that I generally find myself wanting to just tap attack rather than going for an art at all. The lack of PSU's action pallet also makes it much more difficult to switch weapons and use more than three items as well. I'd say my absolute favorite feature of PSP2 over PSZ is that the NPCs get back up 30 seconds after they die.

But, yeah, I really don't see anything left to complain about with PSU in PSP2 besides maybe the lack of Mags. Mags were hard to balance and ended up overpowering characters early on anyway, so I'm actually glad they were removed. Humans and Newmans have photon blasts now, the races have been rebalanced, all the levels are unlocked through story mode (like PSO/Z), it has a free online for however long that lasts and I'm sure someone will make niche servers whenever it expires, and it just plain has more to enjoy.

Also, I hope no one really believes any game's servers will last forever. Nintendo is going to move onto a new hand held, as they do every decade, and eventually PSZ will go down as well. But that's the issue with all videogames and technology in general: it becomes dated and people move on to newer, better things.

I see what you're saying, like some people couldn't get into PSO and some people couldn't get into PSU, it's more about the players taste.