PDA

View Full Version : My Problem with the Rating System

Enoka
Nov 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
So I've been playing PSZ for a while now. I've got my level 55 FOnewearl with some awesome equipment and with two mags for both melee and tech fighting styles, but I keep on going 'WTF!?' when playing online. I always end up in a party with someone that I consider a douche bag. Do I think I act like that? No. I always wait for my fellow players to get to the exit with me, never run ahead and hog experience, scream, 'Lets go!' and 'Hooray' every now and again, and when necessary I revive or heal my team mates. I even yell, 'Sorry!' if I have to leave early. I tend to give a good rating to players who are also like that. So I started asking myself, why do I always end up playing with some selfish dick? And then I figured it out; we all have our own opinions of whats good player attributes and bad player attributes. Does this mean that a ton of people have rated me bad, or that these douche bags have been given a good rating? I'm so confused!

So here's my question for you: What do you look for when rating a player good, bad, or neutral?

xSHiNOx
Nov 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
forces that dont heal you = bad

Aziel
Nov 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
People who stand there and leech EXP while everyone else is fighting = bad.

FOrulz
Nov 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
maybe this is a dumb question, but you're referring to the triangle, circle, and bullseye thing right? and aren't they in the order of good, neutral, bad? if not, i've been rating wrong =S

anyways, for me i don't like people who make no effort to communicate (even using preset ones)... they just run off straight to the portal without regard to anyone else and through the stage in a big hurry.

xSHiNOx
Nov 26, 2009, 05:38 PM
lol yeah. people are so anti social.

Wash
Nov 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
maybe this is a dumb question, but you're referring to the triangle, circle, and bullseye thing right? and aren't they in the order of good, neutral, bad? if not, i've been rating wrong =S

haha not a dumb question, I've been meaning to ask that myself (or else I, too, have been rating everyone wrong haha)

Aziel
Nov 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
lol yeah. people are so anti social.

I think they would be a bit more social if the communication system on the game didn't suck so much ass.

pixelstar
Nov 26, 2009, 06:18 PM
Well, if people COMMUNICATE, wait for party members and are overall fun to play with, then I give them a good rating.
I don't really like playing with people who go their separate ways while the rest of the party is in another room. What's the point of being online if you'll be a lame silent loner anyways...

dtr246
Nov 26, 2009, 06:28 PM
all very good points, i myself ran into some fool who sat in the corner of the level and let me take the enemies while he got a couple levelups doing absolutely nothing. :nono:

Zephton
Nov 26, 2009, 06:39 PM

I'm a FOnewm and I don't see it as my problem considering 70% resta.

And I wouldn't see it as a FOmar's duty either.

Allison_W
Nov 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm a FOnewm and I don't see it as my problem considering 70% resta.

And I wouldn't see it as a FOmar's duty either.

That sounds dangerously like you're calling it women's work.

sylwyn
Nov 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
Players who aren't self sufficient(will not heal themselves in yellow/wait for others to heal them) = bad players imo

I've played with these people who refused to heal themselves and stayed in the yellow and then spam "Help" when they die.

Allison_W
Nov 26, 2009, 07:02 PM
If you go into the yellow in the middle of a fight, you damn well ought to heal yourself. If you go into the yellow at the end of a fight, and you've got a force in the party, may as well save your mates.

Zephton
Nov 26, 2009, 07:08 PM

;)

I was kidding, but seriously, FOnewms shouldn't be expected to heal.

Allison_W
Nov 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
Of course they should. They have the weakest Resta among the forces, but with their high MST and MST-boosting weapons, it might take two flicks of the wand.

sylwyn
Nov 26, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yea, just don't expect full recovery which in most cases you won't need~ (unless team of HUcasts lol) lv86 full mind build I heal roughly 500ish hp, highest I've seen a FOnewearl heal is 1100-ish

Java378
Nov 26, 2009, 07:43 PM
At the start, I run to the teleporter(without chatting) because I can never tell if they will drop or not. And I have had many drop just because of the level. MY logic: Why talk to those who don't even move or go through the teleporter? I think actions speak louder than words.

Even if someone stands in the middle of each room and attacks any monster who doesn't look at them, they play a part in my mind.

I run ahead to other rooms when other players just stand there away from enemies expecting me as a higher level to do all the work. This same hunter asked if I was ok, when I stopped to regen my PP(PP recovery) because he wasn't hitting anything. And this is why I ran ahead and tried to let him die. I ended up playing with him again 3 games later.

Souless Fenrir
Nov 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
I usually rate someone good if they don't drop out as soon as we start. Also if I communicate with them a lot then I'll most likely rate them good. I've only played onling a few times so I don't know if things usually happen like that. ...what's the purpose of the rating system anyway...

MinscTFA
Nov 26, 2009, 07:53 PM

anyways, for me i don't like people who make no effort to communicate (even using preset ones)... they just run off straight to the portal without regard to anyone else and through the stage in a big hurry.

Triangle = Poor
Circle = Neutral
Double Circle = Good

Page 18 of the manual. :)

No, they're not bad. It's good manners to heal but I wouldn't rely on Force for it. Back with my HUcaseal on the Cube I had no problem looking out for my self. If they happened to cast Resta then yay, mate saved for me. Never lost any sleep if they didn't.

FOrulz
Nov 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
Triangle = Poor
Circle = Neutral
Double Circle = Good

Page 18 of the manual. :)

Guess I missed that part entirely ^^; Thanks.

No, they're not bad. It's good manners to heal but I wouldn't rely on Force for it. Back with my HUcaseal on the Cube I had no problem looking out for my self. If they happened to cast Resta then yay, mate saved for me. Never lost any sleep if they didn't.

Its basic group dynamics-it doesnt matter if you're a force or not. IMO if there's someone that can be a potential healer, that person should step up. I play a caseal, and even I don't hesitate to cast a heal trap or two when needed. There's no point in a group of 4 people running around whacking things and not 1 bothering to heal the other.

Java378
Nov 26, 2009, 08:29 PM
Guess I missed that part entirely ^^; Thanks.

Its basic group dynamics-it doesnt matter if you're a force or not. IMO if there's someone that can be a potential healer, that person should step up. I play a caseal, and even I don't hesitate to cast a heal trap or two when needed. There's no point in a group of 4 people running around whacking things and not 1 bothering to heal the other.

lol, I guess you don't wanna play with 10-14 year olds, huh?:-?

Also, they say the rating system affects who they will match you up with. Like when the teacher asks who you like and don't like. I do rate guys bad and they still reappear though. I just assumed that in all of the World, no one else was still playing Normal.

I guess the rating system works, but it's all about how other perceive you and how you perceive others.

zetagear
Nov 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
always use the leaving to the city to say bye bye since its to closest among the presets that may say bye~ XD

FOrulz
Nov 26, 2009, 08:41 PM
lol, I guess you don't wanna play with 10-14 year olds, huh?:-?

i sure don't :D

Also, they say the rating system affects who they will match you up with. Like when the teacher asks who you like and don't like. I do rate guys bad and they still reappear though. I just assumed that in all of the World, no one else was still playing Normal.

I guess the rating system works, but it's all about how other perceive you and how you perceive others.

That defeats the whole purpose of rating then, doesnt it? I guess unless it takes averages of what others have rated them also and pairs the matches up that way... Oh well, all I know is that if I ever see that annoying Fonewearl again I'm going to drop lol...

Java378
Nov 26, 2009, 08:43 PM
I think the chosen presets get in the way a lot.

I always want to say "bye" or "AFK", but it's not there.

At Thanksgiving, my niece found out how to scribble over the words for my 'tactics' commands. I wonder if this is possible for online, but I doubt it.

MinscTFA
Nov 26, 2009, 09:06 PM

Oh, I'm not saying a person with the ability to heal shouldn't heal. When I have the capability I gladly heal others. I just don't think one who has Resta should be required to drop what they're doing on every occasion a person needs healing. Unless of course the party is hopelessly outmatched and the only way to make any progress is to keep those who can take a hit alive.

As for the rating system. Maybe there's simply not many using free play mode so the game has no choice but to pair you with idiots. Though I haven't online much yet so I'm no expert on the subject.

Ceresa
Nov 26, 2009, 09:21 PM
Force healers are for crappy teams. I'll take less damage overall if the force is nuking properly and clearing the room, not running all over charging alrestas and wasting their excellent damage potential so weaker classes can do damage.

Notwithstanding that you'd have to fail pretty bad to use all 30 mates (+dropped mates!) in a single run, and fail even harder if you can't afford to restock them.

Zephton
Nov 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
Force healers are for crappy teams. I'll take less damage overall if the force is nuking properly and clearing the room, not running all over charging alrestas and wasting their excellent damage potential so weaker classes can do damage.

Notwithstanding that you'd have to fail pretty bad to use all 30 mates (+dropped mates!) in a single run, and fail even harder if you can't afford to restock them.

THANK YOU!
This is what I was getting at.

Sure, in PSO any Force should be expected to drop a few restas to help out. But those are instant, and it's not so simple just to charge an alresta whenever someone needs healing. You won't be able to attack yourself if you're charging those damn things all the time!

MinscTFA
Nov 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
Flozir: Spam Alresta or Offensive Techs?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, tough choice. ;)

Oh well, need not continue derailing this thread.

Allison_W
Nov 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
I still maintain that Restaing the party between fights is just polite.

Though I still wish I could make a female Force with the FOnewm's or FOmar's technique modifiers instead of this kitchen bitch bullshit.

Zephton
Nov 26, 2009, 10:44 PM

Though I still wish I could make a female Force with the FOnewm's or FOmar's technique modifiers instead of this kitchen bitch bullshit.

Oh sure, between fights at like a gate where everyone needs to be there to get through and when people are picking up items and stuff. But really, if they're having trouble on a boss it's no one else's responsibility.

Also, you really stay true to Angry Feminist eh? :P

Allison_W
Nov 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
Also, you really stay true to Angry Feminist eh? :P

If only because every day brings a new reason to do so.

Java378
Nov 26, 2009, 11:15 PM
If only because every day brings a new reason to do so.

Especially all the news & rapes in the past month. Gang rapes.

LouieW
Nov 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have not had too many problems in the little online play I have experienced with annoying players or anything. However, I actually like being a support force when I am with two or three other people online. I tend to cast alresta in situations to help people out when I can, but I do not sacrifice all offense for it. Usually, I am the only one to use shifta and deband (even when other forces are in the group), so I suppose my attitude about that is unusual especially when I am playing as a FOmar. Maybe I just am poor at offensive techniques or something, but a lot of times I prefer putting support first when in a large group (especially when everyone else is a hunter or ranger).

GHNeko
Nov 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
I think I'm the only HUmar that bothers to cast Resta/Shifta/Deband AND Tank AND Deal out respectable DPS in the middle of a battle.

Everyone had better be giving me double circles. <_<

I could only help but to laugh. You are an amazing person. <3

DoubleJG
Nov 27, 2009, 09:16 PM
Good rating = travels with group , uses word select here and there , and doesn't stand around leeching.

Bad rating = wanders off, is completely silent, and does virtually nothing to contribute to the party.

Java378
Nov 27, 2009, 10:07 PM
Some dude just stood around in a room full of hostiles after 2 rooms before just waitign for me to move. Then, I just ran over to destroy a laser trap and they nearly beat him to death. lol

Aziel
Nov 27, 2009, 10:10 PM

Too true. This coming from a male who wanted to have a female FO as a third and was put off only by virtue of the bonuses being much better for what I wanted to do on both male classes. *sigh*

Enoka
Nov 28, 2009, 05:17 PM
(Eck, sorry about not responding to my own thread earlier. Thanks Giving + Black Friday = No time near the computer for two days.)

I don't think that us forces need to heal all the time. It wastes PP and gives us less time to attack. Plus anyway, most players have Resta or at least mates and heal traps. I usually only break out Alresta when necessary, and even the Reverser version of Anti when a player can't remove their status affect fast enough or is lying there dead. I usually just focus on attacking as best as I can while not dying.

Epically Leet
Nov 28, 2009, 06:00 PM
Triangle = Poor
Circle = Neutral
Double Circle = Good

Good God. That means I've been rating it the right way all the time! Excellent! Good guessing from my side, eh? ...Although it's a 50-50 shot. But perhaps not, as I saw "Triangle" as "Poor" because of this:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.clker.com/cliparts/5/7/d/b/1195442352382851478zeimusu_Warning_sign.svg.hi.png[/SPOILER-BOX]