PDA

View Full Version : Online with the DS

Puppet_Papaya
Nov 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
I just recently changed the security setting on my wireless router to WEP because the original setting stopped the DS from connecting. It worked once I changed it but I was unable to connect to the wireless network on my laptop on the WEP setting. What do I have to do to get my laptop to connect with it set on WEP?

Zeek123
Nov 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
I know I might sound like I'm being sarcastic or rude, but I promise I'm not.

Have you tried disconnecting from the network and reconnecting on your laptop?

If that doesn't work I'd try shutting your laptop down, restarting your modem and router, and then try reconnecting.

I can't imagine why your laptop wouldn't be able to pick up the router, if that's your problem.

Puppet_Papaya
Nov 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I've tried all that.
I think I may need to enter the network key or something?

Clubbin
Dec 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, I'm not all that great with wireless security measures beyond that of WPA... I have read that you can get around the WPA with the DS using this http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Wi-Fi-USB-Connector/dp/B000MXMNG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1259770958&sr=8-1 <-- wifi usb connector from nintendo. I will try and find out where I was reading that and post the link for you to read as well, you will have to wait a while though. I should be home around 5:30 - 6:00 pm MST.

I know it's not the best option around but if you want to keep the WPA up and still use the Laptop while playing online with the DS, at least you have 1 option so far. I'll try and look up a solution to your problem when I get home from work today. Trying to help people out like this is always a good learning experience for myself. :)

Clubbin
Dec 2, 2009, 08:05 PM
While doing some reading I found that the USB WiFi connector from Nintendo was discontinued but it does circumvent the WPA problem you are having. You can still find some for sale on Amazon (as I listed above) or even ebay. Might get lucky and find a cheapy on ebay to test it out with rather than spending the $70 new $40 used on Amazon. It supports XP and Vista and I'm not sure about 7, there may be a core group of people out there that worked on drivers for it. Here is the wiki on the connector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector

As far as the WEP problem with the laptop... I don't really want to talk you through using a lesser form of wireless security just so you can get the DS to work on the router. I found a few sites talking about it and all said to stick with the WPA if you can. If you still want to go with a WEP connection I can try and help you out with that through PMs or even on AIM or MSN.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. :(