PDA

View Full Version : Gifts: Giving Side.

Leviathan
Dec 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
What gifts do you intend on giving to people during the holidays?

Sayara
Dec 14, 2009, 04:16 PM
Since im poor
CDs!

Outrider
Dec 14, 2009, 04:18 PM
The usual: Books, CDs, video games, gift cards.

Oh wait! I'm buying kitchen chairs for my parents because the ones they have are all broken and old.

Ketchup345
Dec 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
Dad is getting coffee things to go with the Keurig K-Cup coffee maker Mom got him.
Mom is getting slippers and a new caller ID (our current one has a broken stand and we could use one in the back room).
My brother is getting Assassin's Creed II, sometimes I spend a bit more on his gifts since I can use them too.

I also paid for about half of my mom's gift to me- a Zune HD 32GB silver.

Outrider
Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Dad is getting coffee things to go with the Keurig K-Cup coffee maker Mom got him.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do use the Keurig machine at work for hot chocolate and the occasional tea. They're pretty neat.

Volcompat321
Dec 14, 2009, 06:04 PM
I bought my step dad a slim Playstation 3, a friend and my brother in law the (again, thanks to Tomeeboy) Modern Warfare 2 thing.
I bought my mom some random stuff, and a ring.
I got my two sisters gift cards for various places.
For my nephew, I got a car bed from Toys R' us.
I got my niece a ball put from Toys R' Us.

All of this stuff cost me less than $800, and it was all done about 4-6 months ago.

Alnet
Dec 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
My dad never knows what he wants, so I just tend to get him gift cards to places he likes to go.

I got my mom a book she wanted that I can't remember the name of. It's some violent play I haven't seen.

I gave my younger brother his early when I preordered him Call of Duty MW2.

I'm not getting my older brother anything because he never gives me anything (but headaches). :P

Still planning on what to get friends, if anything. Any money I have has been eaten up already from other sources.

Tyreek
Dec 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
My mother is getting a scarf like she asked for. Plus I'm giving her that... I forgot what it's called. It's that nifty invention someone made where it's a cover, but it has sleeves so you can wrap it around yourself. She'll be needing that since it's cold back at the house.

Volcompat321
Dec 14, 2009, 06:27 PM
Oh, you mean those ...snuggies or whatever it's called?
The infomercial ones?
If I was one of those people that got cold, I'd want one.
Where are the people that invent cold devices. I hate heat!

AC9breaker
Dec 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
Christmas is mostly for the kids in my family so I usually only buy them toys and stuff. Last year I bought my one niece her own DS and the other Dora's house. Always glad to see the smile on their faces. This year however I made sure to get my mother, father and grandma some stuff too. Just to show them how much I appreciate everything they've ever done for me.

Dec 15, 2009, 09:17 AM
My family did this thing where we put all of our names in a basket, then drew to see who we would get stuff for. I drew my mom, so I bought her a coffee scented candle and this ceramic thing that goes over it and looks like a lampshade. My brother drew my grandma and got her the same thing (except a different scent and lid).

CrimsomWolf
Dec 15, 2009, 01:18 PM
* I have no idea what I will get my mom. Some random czech movie or album of her favorite alcoholic czech singer (don't ask). I don't really know/don't care.

* My dad: Socks and/or beret. Socks because he keeps loosing them every year, beret is an inside family joke.

That's it, pretty much. My family never expressed it's emotions much through gifts, and that extended to holidays. My parents are those sort of people who don't like getting gifts, apparently. Physical that is. Most of my presents I buy myself anyway through the year.

Rest of the family is in all exotic corners of the world or dead, so this wraps this up.

Xefi
Dec 16, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'll be giving both my mom & dad $750 as a gift since
I don't know what they like beside money. :hamster:

washuguy
Dec 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
My mom likes country music, so i'll get her a taylor swift and kenny chessney CD, she'll like that

Tetsaru
Dec 16, 2009, 01:01 PM
I got my Mom a scented candle, and for my Dad, a Michael Jackson CD. If he doesn't like it, well I guess I'll use it. :3 He was wanting a new 50-something inch HDTV and stand for the living room anyway... like I could afford that, I'm often bumming money off of him anyway... @_@

As for what I want, there's a shitload of games, but I'd REALLY like a Samsung Rogue or a similar cell phone with a good (yet cheap) plan on it. The phone I've got still works, but it's prepaid and it's gotta be around 10 years old... =x

Leviathan
Dec 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
Older Brother: Star Trek, Coraline, and Batman Begins on Blu-Ray.

Younger Brother: Bag full of burgers, red earphones, and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Story.

Firocket1690
Dec 18, 2009, 07:37 PM
christmas will probably be alone. As shallow as it sounds, free leech on a handful of other torrent sites. I have some old TV shows (read: Nickelodeon) to catch up on.

I've mailed out .. one gift so far, which was for a secret santa on a different site. I'll probably mail out two more to friends, and another for waffles.fms' secret santa. In addition to that, I'll probably get .. maybe 4 more gifts for a few other friends?.. I'm broke.

.. Dad got a new HDTV, (Sharp, Aquos) we just got a Verizon FIOS, he's got a DVR, DVD, and a whole bunch of stuff on the TV shelf/rack. This totals to about 7 random remotes lying around, and I don't know what any of them do. About a week ago, I've been wanting to buy him Logitech's universal remote, but google says those things range from $150~250. Couple this with the above list of stuff for friends... he's not getting it. He rarely gets stuff from me, anyway. It's the unmentioned excuse for being a 19 y/o unemployed student.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Econo-Christmas this year.

-Monopoly City Edition.
(Though the new modern player pieces of another set sounded better.)
-Clothes mom picked out. One I picked but asked her size.
-Scarves. One surprisingly cheap for a yuppie/Le Tigre name brand.
-Photo Keychains that aren't crap generic brand, Sharper Image maybe good brand.
-Cash + Envelope.
-Mr. Clean Car kit, useful. Something needed as well.
-Air locking vacuum seal tupperwear-like set.

Didn't ask for anything but got:

-Green Legal Tender
-Pre-Owned: PSP God of War. Plastic case all smudgy and clear/not white- UMD that can be opened? Freaking kids. Might ask for receipt to exchange or just go and exchange without receipt.

-PSP: Final Fantasy Dissidia, Firefox red underlines this Dissidia Pseudo "word". More girlymen than a Samurai Shodown Battle, non conventional fighter gameplay apparently, with grinding? Without the characters and SQUENIX on the box it would just be generic.

But that's all the complaining I can do for things I got for free. And can be exchanged, sold off, just not played anyway.

DreXxiN
Dec 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
Younger Brother: Bag full of burgers

Oh..My..God.. Fuckin' AWESOME!

Firocket1690
Dec 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
Toys R Us had a sign saying they don't take in toy donations after Dec.6 (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/180441292_2434_.jpg), which was kinda .. early. :3 I don't like donating cash, doesn't mean as much.

I went in anyway and bought Apples to Apples (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/180441292_2415_.jpg).

Knowing toy donations wouldn't go directly, I went off for something else. I bought a few pizzas. (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/180441292_2414_.jpg)

All of this was dropped off at Covenant House at 41st street (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/180441292_2413_.jpg). They're shelter for troubled youth.

Take it for what it's worth. I thought it might be kinda cool. When I was still in the hospital, one dude came by with two pizzas for everyone. It wasn't much, and it's just food, but it made everyone happy for a day. The dude at security was a little confused like, "who ordered this? Who you lookin' for?" And all I said was good karma from a kind stranger.

As for Christmas eve itself, I spent $22 with some old friends, shared a pizza and garlic bread, then played smash bros. melee to ungodly hours of morning. Santa didn't come, I was pissed.

Oh. On the 25th, I made a trip to manhattan and bought a box of Godiva. Gave a box of chocolate to that cute girl by customer service at Amtrak. She helped me out lots last year. Last night, after I got back, I ordered WALL·E off Amazon, as a gift to my best friend. This was done intentionally, as she knows I never do things on time. It's set to arrive on monday.

Leviathan
Dec 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
Oh..My..God.. Fuckin' AWESOME!

He's super picky about food, but he sure loves hamburgers.

Also that was very nice of you to do Firo. :wacko:

joefro
Dec 26, 2009, 07:30 PM
Let's see:
Dad - Bacon Lover's Gift Set
Mom - About five or six books
Brother1 - Inglorious Basterds
Brother2 - Turkish Coffee Pot / Red Swingline Stapler
Sister - The Hangover
Brother/law - A "Who Dat"/Fleur de lis Apron
Other/Secret Santa - Gift Cards

Outrider
Dec 30, 2009, 02:50 AM
Very awesome of you, Firo.

I wish I did more stuff like that. Every year my girlfriend and I order a few things for Child's Play, and I pick up a few items for my church's giving tree, but that's about it.

Just seriously very cool that you do that.

Delete
Dec 30, 2009, 08:39 AM
A 50 inch TV for my girl (only 700 bucks).

I also picked up some games for my bro.

Epically Leet
Dec 30, 2009, 09:23 AM
You guys are awesome.

Delete
Dec 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
Nah, I think some of us are broke though lol :wacko:

I didn't feel like listing my full list, but what the hell.

Brother----Left for Dead 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Zelda Spirit Tracks (I got this one too lol) and lastly, an 4 gb MP3 player. I was gonna get him an Ipod, but obviously my money was hurtin:(

Mom----Perfume stuff. I think it's called White Diamonds or something like that. And also a gift card for a 100 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Dad----- Didn't get a chance to see him this year, but there's always next year for that I guess.

Others: Mainly gift cards or MS points for some of my online friends.

I think I went a little crazy with my credit card this year. :D

Epically Leet
Dec 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
I didn't get anyone anything, because I have no money whatsoever.

But everyone got me something, which made me feel bad. :(

Outrider
Dec 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
I don't do it as much anymore, but especially when I wasn't working during school, I would always make gifts for people if I could. Mix CDs, games, pictures - whatever I could do that they would like.

Heck - if you're living with your parents, offering to take on a few extra chores or making them dinner or something would be a great gift as well.

Obviously, don't feel bad that you couldn't get gifts this year, but maybe think of some alternatives for the next gift-giving situation.

Firocket1690
Dec 30, 2009, 11:48 PM
Huh. My main qualm for december is that my best friend, and his twin brother have birthdays on Dec.29th. Birthday x2, Christmas x2. Gifting these guys is always hard. Last night, we ate at Dallas BBQ at 42nd, and I just threw in an extra $20 in addition to cost of what I ate.

The younger of those two just got engaged last week, too. I want to gift him something nice, but I'm not sure if friends gift for engagements?..

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 31, 2009, 01:48 AM
The younger of those two just got engaged last week, too. I want to gift him something nice, but I'm not sure if friends gift for engagements?..
Wedding reception, a whole table for same size gifts - more toasters/blenders/salt&pep shakers than they can ever use.