PDA

View Full Version : Good PSP Titles

Wash
Dec 15, 2009, 08:38 PM
Since PS:P2's release I'm thinking about getting a PSP again (friend did something with my last one, I have no idea what happened to it haha), and was wondering if there are some games, new or old (old=cheaper=good) that are worth getting, cause I obviously haven't kept up with it since I loaned it years ago.

For hand-helds I like something with deep single player (since I got used to not playing online with my PSP, too few titles that did that at the time), like racing games. I'm into shooters, but idk how well PSP pulls that off - the only really good shooter I had back when it first came out was Socom. Any really good multiplayer is noteworthy as well, I never really went online with my old PSP so any game with decent multiplayer would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Dec 15, 2009, 08:43 PM
Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite. Not only does it have a deep single player experience, It's also Multiplayer. (Which is the selling point here, it's not online, unfortunately.. Unless you have a PS3 with Ad-Hoc Party, or Xlink Kai.) I can't even remember how long I've spent on that game. All I know is, I STILL have a long way to go, to reach Endgame. ;x

Volcompat321
Dec 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
Anything Monster Hunter is amazing. More fun if you have friends to play with though. (and can be very, very hard single player, but that's what makes it fun)
Unite is the newest. (I've spent well over 10,000 hours throughout the whole series. Simply AMAZING!)

Phantasy Star Portable2 of course. I don't imagine 1 being fun anymore since 2 is out.
Though, if you don't have the money to buy PS:P2 twice, get PS:P1 for now, til the US/EU one of 2 comes out.

Shooters IMO aren't that great for PSP, but I have a friend that likes...Resistance, I think it is.

I do like the Need for Speed games for the PSP.
They aren't quite as hard as the Xbox/Ps3/Wii ones, and they don't take up a whole lot of time to beat on PSP, which makes it fun.

I had an amazing time with Dissidia; Some friends and I played multiplayer through ad-hoc..or in the same room.
It's still a very amazing game to play by yourself too.

I've heard from many people that Assassins Creed Bloodlines is decent, but I didn't like it.

Undead Knights looks ridiculously awesome, but when I played it, the video was too much hype for me.
The game didn't live up to it's awesome opening video.
But, it's not a horrible game.. it's just..okay.

Ace Combat is decent for the PSP.
I love flying games, and I've played the console versions since Ps2.

That's pretty much it for me.
I know there are plenty of other games out there that people will stand by, but I haven't tried them. lol.
Good luck, have fun!

Split
Dec 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. There's your deep single player right there.

Zantra
Dec 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
Any of the Mega Man games for PSP are great.
Gurumin, is a good Legend of Zelda type of game.
Metal Slug collection is pretty awesome.
Uh... Any Capcom Fighting game is great on the PSP.
There are tons of great games.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/psp/scores/
That is a list of the highest rated PSP games, of all time. (If ratings matter to you)
It helped me with several decisions, on what PSP games to get.

Mike
Dec 16, 2009, 12:33 AM
I would recomend Katamari Damacy. It's not deep but it's fun. I enjoy the Star Wars Battlefield games on PSP but they may be lacking if you're a fan of the console versions. I would recomend the original Battlefield 2 and the newest one (whose name eludes me at the moment) as well.

PSP1 of course too. PSP1 is fun but a fair bit different than PSP2. At least that's the way it feels going back to play PSP1 after spending a lot of time in PSP2.

darkante
Dec 16, 2009, 06:22 AM
Dead Head Fred is pretty good too, IMO.

A action-adventure horror game with a maffia theme where your reason for payback is.

a)Revenge
b)Your head back.

:D
It will take a while to beat.
Also, the dialogs are quite good.

Delete
Dec 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
Forgetting one of the Best Single Player Games guys, God Of War. Sure it's kinda short, but it's a great 6-7 hours and the game looks amazing.

washuguy
Dec 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
Little big planet
FF Dissidia
Monster hunter freedom unite
Soul calibur
Patapon
I had a little fun with lego batman

Outrider
Dec 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is supposed to be excellent. The original is also excellent, but this port is supposed to have a better script and some extended scenes.

Gibdozer
Dec 16, 2009, 12:40 PM
Phantasy Star Portable
Tekken
GTA LCS
Dracula X
God of War
Soul Carlibur
Genesis Collection

Wash
Dec 16, 2009, 02:53 PM
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah LBP would definitely be the first game I'd buy, but I looked into some of these games, some look really good. Is the newest Monster Hunter online or local multiplayer only, cause that looks interesting. I also never knew there was a Soul Calibur for the PSP, that's good to know. Any other online games?

Oh and this is kinda off topic but I'd like to know: the Socom game I had I remember saying something about voice chat. Is that common on online games?

Thanks again.

Alnet
Dec 16, 2009, 11:45 PM
Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable, if you're not going to import the PS2 version. Metal Slug Anthology, because it's every Metal Slug game at once, with the exceptions of the GBA and DS exclusives. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is awesome, and has the original Rondo of Blood and a slightly-reworked Symphony of the Night (only slightly - you'd think after all this time they could have put the Saturn-exclusive areas and options in the game!?). Oh, and OMGMETALGEEEAAAAAAAR, also from Konami. AC!D, AC!D2, Portable Ops, and Portable Ops+ should all be good (though I've only played AC!D 1 and 2)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 17, 2009, 12:59 AM
Racing:

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast is a cheap racing game, with tons of unlockables and mission based gameplay to break up the monotony and also teach you some drifting @ 120 MPH for 20 seconds at a time holding that line - within a full race gameplay.

RPGeez:

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is supposed to be excellent. The original is also excellent, but this port is supposed to have a better script and some extended scenes.
Yeah, the animated scenes weren't overdone and did fit the art style with a nice etching, moving grain kinda background and overlay to it. Feels like a look in to some flashbacks of these characters, without noses.

And its not broken as such from such add ons as some Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger ports were on PS1. Wasn't going to get it until seeing it @ Target on clearance for like $13.

Much better buy than StarOcean 2 for $28, thinking it was a deal and seeing it later everywhere for under $30. And then all these glorifying reviews fail to mention non skippable blah blahs that bog down the game a ton. Yet they say its one you replay over and over for all the endings, unlikely if you can't skip the talking heads.

Should've gotten Crimson Gem Saga instead.

Action Dungeon crawling:

Might not be able to find it cheap anymore, but there's a Dungeon Siege game that works well with no major problems, unlike most of the PSP library in this genre. Diablo type isometric view, magic, arrows, looting, bunch of bosses. Can replay with all your gear after the 35 odd hours to get through it. Even small details like the scene changes to your area in save games background that you wouldn't expect on a handheld game.

Mike
Dec 17, 2009, 01:23 AM
Dungeon Siege! I forgot about that one. It's best of the Diablo-esque games on the PSP for the simple fact that the enemies don't level up with you.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Dec 17, 2009, 02:20 AM
Another one just popped into my head. If you're into Platformers, "Prinny; Can I really be the Hero?" is a lot of fun.

Weeaboolits
Dec 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
Dissidia if no one else said it yet, it's a pretty solid game even if you haven't given the franchise much mileage (as was the case for me).

Also Puyo Puyo 7 or 15th, if imports are in your bounds.

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
If not mentioned yet, I'll also add anything Disgaea to the list. the PSP makes the perfect platform for those addictive time sinks.