PDA

View Full Version : no one uses swords anymore?

VanguardXXI
Dec 16, 2009, 01:54 AM
i was wondering since i havent seen many lately. how come no one uses swords anymore?

Chuck_Norris
Dec 16, 2009, 03:22 AM
Be...cause Axe is better?

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Dec 16, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hiya,

i used to use swords all the time when my main Eden was fortefighter. Axes are good too I must admit, both are slow and very powerful. I suppose its a question of preferance but I think both are extremly useful.

Also you'll find alot of FighMasters using them as with only 4 useable weapons you can't really be overly picky about what you use :P

Tifa

Gibdozer
Dec 16, 2009, 12:30 PM
I like swords, particularly with Gravity Break. The problem is that swords are inferior to practically all two handed and twin melee weapons. I always carry one on my fighters, but rarely attach it to my palette.

VetroDrago
Dec 16, 2009, 02:54 PM
I share gibdozer's view on swords. I love them, but I currently use only 2 swords as FF/FM. My favorite weapon I have is my repca, especially on my FM palette. The problem is most FMs will only use the other 3 weapons they can choose from which makes sense since sword doesn't have an effective role that the other 3 have. With FF, swords are just painfully slow, and you get interrupted all the time.

NiXiN218
Dec 20, 2009, 06:19 AM
I've been wondering that too. Haha. For Fighmasters, its role in the palette is pretty much replaced by the other three weapons. I usually bring one or two swords though. Like someone posted earlier, Gravity Break is nice. Strong attack with the speed of Fighmaster. Makes sense.

But yes. The other three weapons do most of the work. Anga Jabroga/Redda, Dus Majarra/Daggas/Robado, Absolute/Gravity Dance. Those are enough. Gravity Break doesn't help too much.

garjian
Jan 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
Swords leave you far too open.

i used to use sword all the time, but since i started soloing ive found them mostly useless, and this is why ill think twice about ely sion. (although i dont have a character that uses bows, or any the can use a rifle at all... im a bit stuck now)

also, all the PA's have huge flaws... gravity break leaves huge gaps, and you always get attacked during it... unless theres only one enemy in which case only the first part is really worth using... if they dont hit you while you wait for your Just Attack frame.
spinning break is generally weak, the last part misses small creatures, and the only good thing about it is the 4 targets on the 2nd and 3rd part, but any enemies that would be useful against will have hit you by the time you get there.
and tornado dance is weak unless you hit all 5 targets, but its too slow (and doesnt knockdown) so you get interrupted constantly.

all in all... a terrible weapon class.

im now using a slicer instead.

stinkyfish97
Jan 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
All I cant say is, nobody now adays uses swords for anything other than gravity break. I mean gravity break is nice but you should give Spinning break a try as well its makes you a little less open because you can move yourself in the air. I think the biggest problem I have with swords is that the PA's just arent as good as the ones you get with the spear and double sabers. Lets face it you hit more enemies for more damage with the Spear and double saber. Half the time the enemies arent alive long enough to get an entire pa off with he long sword, and number two unless you are the first one to reach the enemies most of the will get scattered by other people PA's, so if you use PA's such as Tornado Breatk you are doing little damage and little damage to 1 enemy because theyve all been sactterd by the time you get your first PA off.

Basically long swords look awesome but just are not very good for much anything more than Gravity Break.

On another totally in another direction note. I would say the most versitle weapons are Knucles. I mean they have 4 pa's to choose from and each of them has different uses. you have Ick Hikk for mother brain which is slow but very very high damage. Zubba for crowd control as well as lots of damage, Robado which is very fast, and Danga which isnt slow but not as fast as Robado but outdamages Robado with its finisher.

Basically i put knuckles on top as far as versitility goes, the biggest problem however with knuckles is range and PP.

Gibdozer
Jan 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
Since this thread I've decided to give swords another chance, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the results. I had already leveled Gravity and Tornado, but steered clear of Spinning so I started by leveling it up.

I dumped GB altogether bought a slick chainsawd for SB and hooked TB to a Repca. I've actually been impressed with SB it's much more useful than GB for me, and TB with the extra range of a Repca is almost as good as Dus Rabado with the spear(though not as forgiving).

I'm not saying swords are good, but I'm putting them back in the mix so I can't say there all bad either. On a side note I so agree with you Stinky, I wouldn't trade my knuckles for anything. They are my favorite type by far, even the basic knuckle combo is powerful and fast I simply love em!

stinkyfish97
Jan 14, 2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah people just need to give the PA's a chance. I would say tornado break is the most useless out of them all however because the spear has robado which is basically the same thing but better. Spinning break looks cool and if you line up the enemies you can hit multiple enemies or on big guys with multiple hit boxes you can hit multiple points.

The only reason I like spinning break over Gravity break is because on PT my acc. is low and Gravity break is a little slow and combined with its low acc. I miss way to much, so I was forced into using Spinning break, I still miss to much but the PA is much faster and has better acc. so I actually use it the most now.

Akaimizu
Jan 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
Never gave up on swords with my 2nd. Mufonna. Whether on the console or on the portable system. They're fun to use, some cool PAs. But they are definitely cool for that sweeping factor.