PDA

View Full Version : PS0 on DSi XL

cApNhOwDy
Dec 20, 2009, 02:06 AM
I'm curious if anyone has imported the DSi LL and have tried PS0 on it. I am curious to see how it looks on the bigger screens. I am most likely going to get an XL when it's released here in America, and PS0 is my primary game on it, so it'd be nice to know what to expect.

Sox
Dec 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
XL is too heavy for hardcore games, XL is meant for games that you put the ds down on the table and play. for hardcore gaming, get a dsi or ds lite

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 03:30 AM
I have an LL, it's awesome for PS0. I'll take some comparison shots. Everything is at the brightest setting. The smaller DS unit is a DSi. The shot with the two DS units was taken when I first had gotten the unit, I just wanna show off a few of the visual chats I drew :)

JordanLund
Dec 20, 2009, 06:31 AM
My issue is that the DS is too small to use the triggers properly. My hands cramp up. I'd hope the LL fixes that problem.

cApNhOwDy
Dec 20, 2009, 08:09 AM
I have an LL, it's awesome for PS0. I'll take some comparison shots. Everything is at the brightest setting. The smaller DS unit is a DSi. The shot with the two DS units was taken when I first had gotten the unit, I just wanna show off a few of the visual chats I drew :)

Thanks a ton, TUSCAN! I'm sure this will help alot of people. I'm definitely getting the DSi XL then.

I have the same issues in my multi-hour Eternity Tower runs, Jordan. I was considering getting a NERF armor case for my DS Lite, but I guess since I'm selling it today anyways it doesnt matter.

Also, rofl @ DSi XL not being good for "hardcore" DS gaming. I doubt that the DSi XL will be too heavy for anyone who has done such strenuous on-the-go activities such as: reading a decent-sized paperback book. Do some pushups man, it's good for you.

Sox
Dec 20, 2009, 09:04 AM
We will see who has the last laugh. Seriously. If your playing on the go, the dsi xl wont be such an easy task to use. Its alright at home though.

Dragwind
Dec 20, 2009, 09:21 AM
I'm definitely going to upgrade. I've been using my fat DS for years and it still cramps my hands. I grew up playing the original Gameboy and Game Gear (it was like carrying a brick) so I'm sure I'll be fine. :wacko:

cApNhOwDy
Dec 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm definitely going to upgrade. I've been using my fat DS for years and it still cramps my hands. I grew up playing the original Gameboy and Game Gear (it was like carrying a brick) so I'm sure I'll be fine. :wacko:

Yeah I'm going with Dragwind on this one. It weighs less than the Game Gear.

Pavichokche
Dec 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm not getting the new DSi XL even if my current DSi breaks simply because it's too big to carry around, BUT I think that it could improve playing PSZ for some people, and even for me it would make writing stuff while playing online easier :D

Bad Dirt Marvel
Dec 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
I would love to get one, but there's no way I can afford one anytime soon. I'll be playing my DS Lite for quite a while I think. :)

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
The LL is a lot heavier, but it's not going to be a problem for people. It's not exactly pocket sized, but it will be fine for most DS users. The larger screens make it very comfortable to play. I have larger hands which was a big reason for me getting the LL (buying imported nintendo hand held systems is not exactly the smartest thing to do as they are usually released over here in short order) and it is much better for me than the DSi.

I took some more shots for you guys to compare. The screens on the DSi LL are a little yellowish, not quite as nice color representation as my DSi. There is a slightly pixelated look due to the size increase, but it not an issue at all.

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 11:49 AM
More pictures.

Volcompat321
Dec 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
Wow that thing's huge!
I kinda want to play Ps0, but I don't have a DS/i/LL.
Ps0 is out in English now, right?
Maybe I'll save up and buy one.

Bad Dirt Marvel
Dec 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, it's out in English.

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 12:08 PM
Wow that thing's huge!

It's big, but it's no PC Engine LT. I guess growing up in the Lynx/Game Gear/GameBoy/Turbo Express era kinda mitigates the size issue for me.

NeoMatrix
Dec 20, 2009, 12:41 PM
It's big, but it's no PC Engine LT. I guess growing up in the Lynx/Game Gear/GameBoy/Turbo Express era kinda mitigates the size issue for me.

Heheh, yeah. The DSi LL doesn't seem that big to me either. After all these years, my Game Gear is still alive and kicking, though it's murder trying to look at the screen on it for any length of time. It's hard to believe I would hold it up for hours at a time with six AA batteries split on either side. Those were the good ol' days of handhelds... :p

Ryna
Dec 20, 2009, 12:59 PM
I thought about importing a DSi XL, but I can't justify the price for it.

For someone with big hands, how do your hands feel after a couple of hours of playing Phantasy Star Zero on this DS version?

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
I thought about importing a DSi XL, but I can't justify the price for it.

For someone with big hands, how do your hands feel after a couple of hours of playing Phantasy Star Zero on this DS version?

The price still hurts a little but it's very nice to hold. I no longer have to overlap my hands behind the unit nor do I have to curl my index fingers to keep from inadvertently pressing the shoulder buttons. I had a problem with the corner of the DSi digging into my right palm as I support the unit mostly with my right as I hold it. This has been lessened on the DSi LL as can position my hands a lot more comfortably.

Also, it is very nice to draw on. Advance wars is top notch on an LL/XL.

RedRage
Dec 20, 2009, 02:25 PM
What is the battery life like on the XL? Did they use the extra room to put in some bigger batteries?

TUSCAN
Dec 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
What is the battery life like on the XL? Did they use the extra room to put in some bigger batteries?

The battery life is good. I'd say about 15% better than the DSi, even though I have it plugged in most of the time.

Gaku
Dec 20, 2009, 03:33 PM

I just wanted to say that those visual chats are top-notch, mang! Having spent months of my life addicted to the Card Fighter games on the NGPC, I can say without a shadow of doubt that those drawings are pixel perfect. I'm impressed that you could pull that off using the in game editor. Awesome! Oh, and thanks for the nostalgic kick in the head. :-)

TUSCAN
Dec 30, 2009, 09:48 AM
I just wanted to say that those visual chats are top-notch, mang! Having spent months of my life addicted to the Card Fighter games on the NGPC, I can say without a shadow of doubt that those drawings are pixel perfect. I'm impressed that you could pull that off using the in game editor. Awesome! Oh, and thanks for the nostalgic kick in the head. :-)

Sorry to bring back this thread, I had to respond.

Thanks Gaku, that is exactly what I was looking for, someone who recognized them from card fighters. I too was severely addicted to that game. In fact I recently started playing CFC2 again (that is, until PSP@ came out). I'm thrilled that you enjoyed them.

What I did to make them was get images of the sprites off the net, switch them to high contrast grey scale and from there I just used my better judgement as to which pixels to add/remove. Since there were so many colors used in the shading it was a little difficult in some areas to reproduce the image. Guile was the worst one as he had so much shading.

Anyhow, I;m glad you enjoyed them!