PDA

View Full Version : Xenosaga came!

Bloodberry
Feb 26, 2003, 06:24 PM
It's finally here! I don't think I'm very happy about it either. O_o This game... is... odd? The start makes at least a little sense and the fight system is kind of fun to use. Also, there's no random battles which always sits well with me.

But after you finish doing the start, which is VR (no plot spoilage here, especially since I don't even know what's going on still) you get to walk around the place that you're in and.. it's like work. There's no other way to describe it. There's no music at all, except footsteps and a constant air noise. It took me 30 minutes to even get to where I needed to go. The loading took quite a while between areas, and all the areas are totally white with a few squares (but that matches where you're supposed to be so I shouldn't complain.) Still the total and utter lack of music has grinded my nerves to dust.

I dunno, maybe I have a buggy cd. I'm hoping once I get past this part the music picks up, the disjointed-ness goes away, and I never get another "email" from Namco ingame advertising me it's crap.

Kay
Feb 26, 2003, 06:27 PM
Wait...this is the Xenogears prequel/sequel thing right? If it is...it sounds a whole lot like Xenogears. Can't tell you how much I wandered an area aimlessly trying to find the next thing to do/area/boss fight that kicks your azz.

Bloodberry
Feb 26, 2003, 06:30 PM
yeah it is, and yeah.. but in some ways no. Xenogears was fun, colorful, good music, etc. In this it's all quiet. No music at all except for the occasional cutscene. You really have to play it to get the feeling, but it's the opposite of fun. I'm thinking maybe it's just this particular part I'm playing, but I've been exploring the entire ship and it hasn't really changed. (On the other note, the graphics are great and the cutscenes with music is like water to a sponge.) It's just really strange, I'll leave it there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-02-26 15:37 ]</font>

JohnCable
Feb 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
Actually, some reviews did point out the lack of music. It's supposed to be that way to seem more cinematic and important. Unfortunately the Xeno creators haven't learned anything about editing yet (e.g. all the pointless over-talking in Xenogears that could've been cut down to make the game several hours shorter and less boring). They also (apparently) haven't learned that in real movies (i.e. non-Japanese ones) there aren't 30 minute scenes of walking around. This is called an unforgivable flaw, and it usually goes in video games too since the whole appeal of talking to pre-scripted retards telling you what they had for breakfast that day (i.e. every Xenogears and Xenosaga NPC in the towns) has worn off years ago. In fact, the appeal vanished about the time Xenogears was released. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnCable on 2003-02-26 18:09 ]</font>

Rune edit: Offensive picture. Had to remove

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-02-26 18:35 ]</font>

JohnCable
Feb 26, 2003, 09:54 PM
You mean the "haibanes are good cocksuckers" one?

Because they are, you know!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnCable on 2003-02-26 18:54 ]</font>

Zio
Feb 26, 2003, 10:18 PM
Meh, I wont spoil anything but I actually like this game. I dont mind long cinematics either. Music doesnt make or break a game for me either.

Bloodberry
Feb 26, 2003, 10:54 PM
O...kay. Well, I played more past the absolute silence phase and it certainly did pick up, so maybe it's not nearly as bad as it seems. After that start, the silence actually goes away (aside from cinematic pauses, but.. well, that's cinematic.) Also I really liked the talking and story from Xenogears.. you misunderstood my point.. I was saying the first 30 minutes of walking around the ship was just eerie silence with a loud wind noise while you talked to people, bought things, etc.

Sorry if I offended you..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloodberry on 2003-02-26 19:58 ]</font>

Cloud_01
Feb 26, 2003, 11:01 PM
I had high expectations for Xenosaga, now after hearing all the negative things about it I don't even think I will buy it anymore. I might just rent it.

Do you guys think that Xenosaga is worth buying?(those of you who have played it).

CajunSamurai
Feb 26, 2003, 11:29 PM
I'll pick it up... some day. From the first time I heard about it, I had my doubts. Did we really NEED another Xeno game? Now that it's out now it looks moderately interesting to me, but it's still low on my priority list...

Bring on Star Ocean 3! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_hamster.gif

http://www.toastyfrog.com/2d/features/xenogears.shtml (couldn't resist! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Gartywood
Feb 27, 2003, 09:59 PM
It's sooooo great i'm only an hour into it but its a lot like gears.....Oh im soooo excited. the cinematics are long but they are pretty well done and the story thus far seems to be on par with gears. oh my god how did i wait so long for this

Skuld_0
Feb 28, 2003, 12:53 PM
yea the start is kinda odd and noninformting. But after the hour and a half of intro. it picks up fast. This game has already turned out to be sweet. Its the only game this year that i walked up stairs yesterday morning and said " Mom, im not goin to school..i have to play xenosaga" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cloud_01
Feb 28, 2003, 01:00 PM
Sounds good, I guess i'll buy it then.

Bloodberry
Feb 28, 2003, 01:03 PM
you're right, getting past the intro is helping a lot. oi.

Auracom
Feb 28, 2003, 06:03 PM
I was looking forward to Zenosaga, heard its definitly not a rental. I also heard that for every hour of game play you get pretty much 15mins of cut scenes. It's like an anime and a game in one.

Sedyne
Mar 2, 2003, 09:06 PM
This game is damn annoying. I'd rather have it be like FF and not be a 9:10 ratio of gameplay verse cg shit. 9/10 being most of the game is damn cg movies.

rawr

Kent
Mar 2, 2003, 09:47 PM
I now dub Xenosaga as the 2nd best RPG ever.

The title of Best RPG Ever still belongs to Final Fantasy VII.

Scan_Man
Mar 3, 2003, 12:21 AM
I'm the at end of the game, and the story goes down the crapper. All the stuff that seem like a good story half way through amounts to nothing. Waste of time this game is.

Playable parts are excellent though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scan_Man on 2003-03-02 21:25 ]</font>

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Mar 3, 2003, 02:01 AM
I'm loving it so far.....eight hours into it.

Guntz348
Mar 3, 2003, 07:35 AM
On 2003-03-02 18:47, Kent wrote:
I now dub Xenosaga as the 2nd best RPG ever.

The title of Best RPG Ever still belongs to Final Fantasy VII.

I'm sorry but FF VII was just plain awful. All the next gen FF games were junk, I'm sorry but they should have put the series to rest on the SNES. I know most of the people here love the next gen games, but seriously they can't compare the originals. And sagas is no where near as good as gears. They totally crippled the combo system. It's a very weak simplified version of the gears system, for pre-schoolers. Worst changes ever!

raiden999
Mar 3, 2003, 08:52 AM
just out of curiosity, did you actually think that they were going to make the system the exact same as gears? i mean, look at the FF series. if in each of the FF games, you had to go around and buy your abilities, then it would suck. maybe if people could just play the game, instead of criticize it from the beginning, it might be good to them. and by the why, i happen to think that the xenosaga overall is one of the best games i've played (right next to FFX of course, just for the hypocrites)

Cloud_01
Mar 3, 2003, 11:00 AM
I bought it yesterday. It's pretty good so far.

I don't mind all the cg movies.

Ron
Mar 3, 2003, 12:37 PM
meh all the CG movies let me eat while I "play" although I think I might be gaining some wieght now O_o

Cylene
Mar 3, 2003, 01:05 PM
I got it last Thursday, and I am loving it. I don't mind the cinemas, the story is really good, and I like all the characters. Once the story picks up it starts to get a lot better. One thing I don't like is the A.G.W.S' ..I don't even bother using them, they are a waste. The one boss battle I used them in they got scrapped so I had to get out and that made the battle a lot harder for me after wasting turns with them. You are better off fighting with the characters, as long as you level their Tech Attacks + Ether Skills well. The only other thing is there is no boss music. Having no music during places doesn't bother me that much, Xenogears had areas like that too. But I wish there was boss music, the regular battle music gets boring after awhile.