PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 How do you connect with PSP2?

irukandjisyndrome
Dec 28, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry if this is asked a lot, but how do you connect to internet multiplayer with Phantasy Star Portable 2? I keep hearing 'ad hoc' thrown around and all the information I've been able to find is deeply vague. I've heard that multiplayer is local only, I've also heard it's internet multiplayer, and I've heard that you need a Playstation 3 to do it either way. It's really confusing and I don't know what to do. Could someone please post an easy to follow step by step instruction of how it works?

I'm using the Japanese PSP2 demo and so is the friend I wish to play with, I've heard it's possible to connect and play with it.

Thank you!

ashley50
Dec 28, 2009, 11:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyFdzGFmOPY

Ad Hoc

JP PSN account for Internet Multi mode

D14BL0
Dec 28, 2009, 03:05 PM
"Ad Hoc" is the term generally used when you're playing with somebody next to you. "Internet" will generally imply that the PSP will connect to a remote server through WiFi, pretty much the same way a PC game would. With a PS3, you can use the Ad Hoc mode to play with somebody who is not near you. This is useful for games that have Ad Hoc, but but Internet play, because it essentially will spoof Ad Hoc, even though on a technical level, it's going through the Internet.

irukandjisyndrome
Dec 28, 2009, 09:12 PM
Okay, thank you. So I have the Japanese PSN account but when I try to connect to Online Multi I get the following error:

http://bumped.org/psublog/pspo2-error-sg4003/

So I try to update using these instructions,

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-portable-2-update-and-bug-fixes-room-goods-disappear-trap-damage/

yet when I try to update PSPo2, it says the game is already up to date, yet at the PSPo2 menu it doesn't show Ver 1.01 in the top right or anything. I have the current firmware.

Is it because I'm on the demo? Can the demo be updated, and can the demo play online with other players?

ashley50
Dec 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
You cant go online with the demo ANYMORE. there's the problem there...amd I believe the v1.01 patch is for the full game only.

irukandjisyndrome
Dec 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
Alright, thank you. I've also heard a lot about Xlink Kai simulating ad hoc play in the way using a Playstation 3 does - why do people who own the game still use ad hoc over Xlink Kai instead of the online infrastructure? What are the advantages?

Izuna
Dec 29, 2009, 07:03 AM
Alright, thank you. I've also heard a lot about Xlink Kai simulating ad hoc play in the way using a Playstation 3 does - why do people who own the game still use ad hoc over Xlink Kai instead of the online infrastructure? What are the advantages?

Because they don't own the game, or the game doesn't support infrastructure.
There is also the possibility that they just love CFW which gives them all sorts of extra special abilities.

D14BL0
Dec 29, 2009, 09:29 AM
Because they don't own the game, or the game doesn't support infrastructure.
There is also the possibility that they just love CFW which gives them all sorts of extra special abilities.

Don't assume everybody with CFW is a cheater. Most people using Xlink Kai are probably pirates, sure, but not always a cheater.

There's also the possibility that some people don't like playing with random people, and want to do an Ad Hoc mode to ensure that it's a completely private match.

Izuna
Dec 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Don't assume everybody with CFW is a cheater.

I didn't, I was simplifying plugins and homebrew. ^^;