PDA

View Full Version : Are there any tangible links to PSO's story?

Ascensius
Jan 4, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've heard this game is the official prequel blah blah blah...
But are there any actual links to PSO at all? I can't see how it links up whatsoever.
The only link I've noticed is in a quest after the main story finishes they mention that the Earth's real name is Coral.

Thoughts?

Volta
Jan 4, 2010, 08:38 PM
Phantasy Star Online mentions the MOTHER Project multiple times. Guess what that turned out to be.

Ascensius
Jan 4, 2010, 08:40 PM
You'd think they'd be doing more to link the story of PSZero to PSO from PSZero's end, though.

Jan 4, 2010, 09:32 PM
In PSO they went to Ragol because Coral was becomming uninhabitable, and they needed to find a new planet. I guess the reason that it was a dying planet was mother trinity destroying it.

Gigas
Jan 4, 2010, 09:32 PM
PSZ is actually a sequel to PSO.

Vayne
Jan 4, 2010, 11:10 PM
There are plenty of links in the story of the two games. However, like PSO(but to a lesser extent) the story is somewhat cryptic. They give you hints and not direct links. Mother Trinity was built sometime before the Pioneers left and PSZ happens 200 years after the Great Blank. Presumably the Pioneers had already left before the blank happened. So, 200 years later no one remembers what happened. The Pioneers assume that everyone's dead back on Coral/Earth. So it's technically a sequel in that the events happen after PSO but it also shines light on the events preceding PSO and PSZ.

Volta
Jan 4, 2010, 11:31 PM
In PSO they went to Ragol because Coral was becomming uninhabitable, and they needed to find a new planet. I guess the reason that it was a dying planet was mother trinity destroying it.Nope. The MOTHER project hadn't been completed during Ep. II's time at the very least, and both Trinity and the Pioneers mention that the reason why Coral's environment destabilized is because the people wrecked the ecosystem.

Vayne
Jan 4, 2010, 11:40 PM
Mother Trinity was designed for the express purpose of saving the ecosystem. She failed and realized it was humanity's fault and Dark Falz infected her. She then wiped out humanity, or atleast tried so that nature could reset itself so to speak. Presumably, The Pioneers left after they realized Mother Trinity could not save the planet but before she decided to wipe out humanity. The MOTHER project was some off shoot of Mother Trinity project.

FoMarlBorough
Jan 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
i think sega leaves this stuff vague on purpose.

keeps people guessing
keeps them from writing themselves in a corner
players can read whatever they want into it.

all in all, its just a running theme. kinda like final fantasy.

Ascensius
Jan 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
Bah, they could have at least made this a tiny bit clearer. I thought all this was happening before they'd even considered leaving the planet.

Vayne
Jan 5, 2010, 11:32 AM
Nope, the pioneers are long gone by the time you start your story.

Ryoki
Jan 5, 2010, 01:47 PM
Nope, the pioneers are long gone by the time you start your story.

Ditchers. D:<

Tsacar
Jan 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
If I could still treat the three respective Phantasy Star series' as all part of the same story with a straight face, I'd have some interesting things to say about how the confirmation that Coral was Earth relates to Phantasy Star II. I recall a certain group of Earthmen pestering the Algo system with a wayward and seemingly Falz-tainted Mother computer in that title.

The Phantasy Star canon is so damned interesting because it is a puzzle with a single image on pieces that do not - cannot - physically fit together. I have never before been so fascinated by bad storytelling.

Vayne
Jan 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
It's a good one indeed. Awhile back someone connected ALL the game's storylines together in a very convincing way. There were different dimensions and such invovled if I remember correctly. But there is a way to fit them together if you look closely. PSO and PSZ are DEFINITELY connected though.

FoMarlBorough
Jan 5, 2010, 08:33 PM
plus if they had the same developer/writers it would show.

i just hope they dont explain it all away.

lets us not forget, let us not forget ps3, with all the endings. i wont even burn a brain cell trying to connect that to ps2-pso-psz

long as its fun and the story doesnt get too stupid, im in.

psu kinda irked me a little with the whole ethan wabler thing, i had no interest in him. nor the beast chick from aoti.

CLARK
Jan 13, 2010, 04:49 AM
Go to the photon drop shop. Does the female newman look familiar? It has already been revealed that PSZ is a prequel to PSO.

[spoiler-box]
The photon drop shop character is Sue in her early black market years. Unless of course she is Sue's relative/ancestor. Either way the stories can't be too far apart, and Newmans live a random number of years as mentioned in PSO.
[/spoiler-box]

mid Knight
Jan 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Wow that never cross my mind.

Tek[+]Lok
Jan 13, 2010, 07:19 AM
I was browsing the textures for PSO and found out that the texture they used for ragol is actually a map of the earth.

FoMarlBorough
Jan 13, 2010, 07:07 PM
you could also say that falz is a trans-dimensional entity that ties them all together. it tries to invade/manifest in different realities and thats where the games take place.each gets its own dimension, connected to the others via falz.

thats my take.

Windancer
Jan 14, 2010, 01:48 AM
here's a cool site ive been visiting from time to time over the years it has a good bit of info on early games and PSO. Has a bunch of fan art and avatars :) and still gets updated from time to time Click here to visit the Phantasy Star Cave (http://www.pscave.com/index2.shtml) Enjoy

Vayne
Jan 14, 2010, 10:04 AM
There's no way that could be Sue...she'd already left 200 years ago for Ragol. And newmans don't live a random number or years. They don't have a average life expectancy but usually die much sooner than humans. Any likeness if coincidence or fan service. And yes, Dark Falz would be the most identifiable link between all the games.