PDA

View Full Version : Boss Tactics

Cruciarius
Jan 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
So I'm in super hard, doing a quest in the wetlands. Reached octo just fine, with a PB. I dodge his spit at the start, but right away he spits again, hitting me and then right away wacks me with a tentacle. Lost my PB...

Go back in and avoid his spit again, but his next attacks kill me.

Getting annoyed since I've never had him kill me so fast.

With no PB and I see Kai and Sarisa both have theirs, I put on the tactic of "Use PB's individually", expecting them to use theirs, but no... they run around, barely attack and both die.

Even with them dead this time, I got Octo to phase 2, but he squeezes me to death.

Anyway... what good is "Use PB's individually", if they don't do it? :-x

Opodomus
Jan 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
I didn't know it was possible to lose a photon blast

sylwyn
Jan 11, 2010, 12:20 PM
Octo Diablo is a boss that doesn't allow you to stay in one spot for long, as he will always be homing on you or moving the platform. PBs are great and all, but unless you chain it they suck. Sure Granir by yourself does 1k+ I can do that much and more with 6 swings. Bosses in SH possess different behaviors from their previous forms (better AI, shorter breaks between attacks, etc) so you have to relearn you strategies (Humilias~).

Always keep your npcs alive so that the boss will target them instead, even just using Alanti will suffice because all of them (except Ogi) wil Resta themselves once they get up. Their PBs suck anyway (woohoo 600dmg?) and should only be used to help chain yours.

I didn't know it was possible to lose a photon blast
You lose it when you die.

Cruciarius
Jan 11, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yes, but I died. I had no PB.
2 of the NPCs had their PBs.
I'd rather them use their PB on their own, since they couldn't chain with the PB I no longer had.
600 dmg > the 7 dmg I saw Kai doing melee vs a tentacle.

Also, this was the 2nd quest in super hard to go vs Octo. The other quest I had no problem at all with. Heck, this quest, which I did just finish, my last try I didn't use any scape dolls on. It was a fairly easy fight, the last time. The only annoying thing was his poison. Without full life, I think a claw grab or him eating you, would kill you. Luckily, neither of those happened in the last fight.

FoMarlBorough
Jan 11, 2010, 08:28 PM
in the 'second'art of the octo mom fight, i try to kill one of the tentacles. makes it a little easier. plus i dont have to worry about my fo gettin too close and being swallowed.

Dnd
Jan 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
The octo is poss one of the worse fights for me in super hard.. even being at lv77 with deband, asgard frame ect... the chance for him to kill me in one shot is very high, if he connects with a hit. took my brother to assist me on his fomarl to finally kill him and he didnt drop anything good at all, used 3 scape dolls and alot of revives -_-'

Cruciarius
Jan 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Um... Who renamed the thread? It's about the NPC party members not using their PB, after I told them to, not really the boss fight I was having an issue with.

ARChan
Jan 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Believe it or not, that boss is VERY ranger friendly, especially if they have a rifle with an extended reach (an M14 Missouri or M25SE Missouri). If you have handgun, that would help out just as well. You could just stand aside and keep shooting with patience and all the such.

As a final note, going up close is absolute suicide. Just make sure you're able to back yourself up with lots of healing or the such.

Dnd
Jan 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Um... Who renamed the thread? It's about the NPC party members not using their PB, after I told them to, not really the boss fight I was having an issue with.

Lol, in case then i've never had a problem witht he NPCs not using PBs with told to on Use PB's individually :-?