PDA

View Full Version : Router Issue

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jan 14, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hiya all,

Maybe some of you recall I got 360 PSU and the lag was unplayable. I tried to go on my dad's PC where the router is connected to. Its a Netgear Wired Router. I can get the model number if necessary. People suggested the settings could be affecting lag issues on 360. It seems to lag on every game i've tried, Tekken 6 is unplayable, as is Forza 3 (both try conencting to games and timeout every time). PSU is playable, as in it actually goes online but laoding times are obsene. I mean say you go to a mission counter on my PC version it'd load anywhere between 5-25 seconds. Xbox is 20 seconds to 1 minute and often longer. In game you hit an enemy wait to see damage anywhere between 5-40 seconds later whereas PC its instant, no lag whatsoever.

The problem is I can't find the Router installed on my dad's PC, would it even be in programme files? People suggested tweaking different things but I can't even find the Netgear router as an installed programme so how can i alter these settings?

Could anyone suggest possible tweaks and how I go about tweaking it on the PC? I really want my xbox live to work as i've paid for a years gold membership and so far can't play a single game online :(

Thanks,

Tifa

syouz
Jan 14, 2010, 06:53 AM
1-800-4myxbox move your lazy ass and make a call

Max B
Jan 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
My best guess if you live in Na would be to call 1-800-4myxbox

*fixed for clarity*

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jan 14, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'm from UK not US

Gibdozer
Jan 14, 2010, 04:20 PM
Who is your service provider? I recently switched to at&t and our router stopped working. My wife called the manufacturer and they said it had to do with at&ts service, they had us manually fix the numbers and now it works fine. You should start with the router manufacturer if you haven't already resolved this.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jan 15, 2010, 12:27 AM
*cough* anyways,

Do you get the same lag when directly connected to the modem?

Lets not shoot the router just yet.

Are you using DSL, Cable, FTTH, Cellular.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jan 17, 2010, 01:37 AM
Do you know if your Netgear is a Gatway modem/router or is it just a modem.

Give me the model number.

No routers do not have to have software installed on the computer to work.

If its a DSL modem then you are going to have to see if your service is PPPoE or if its DHCP if its PPPoE then the easy way to get up and running is to get a router and set it up to log in to the PPPoE which means getting the user name and password from your internet from your dad.

To "manage" your router typically the way you get in to it is go to your internet browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1 it may be different for you but if those don't work then let me know. You may not even need to go in to it but wait off before going in to the router.

Zeek123
Jan 18, 2010, 02:17 PM
I know having a NAT type can affect your gameplay. I've heard that going into your router and disabling NAT entirely can help. My computers get much faster internet than my consoles do, and I was told it was because my NAT type was 2.

Computers all say 108 Mbps, consoles all say roughly 3.