PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 On Gamespot LOL

Red Ring
Jan 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/phantasystarzero/review.html

In before reviewer is a dick. I agree with him because I'm a fan of DC and like good playable long term games that are better than the last. Commence calling him a dick.

Heartless Cookie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
Heartless Cookie disapproves.

Red Ring
Jan 14, 2010, 11:28 PM
Look at their forum for the game. Like there's tons of people on it! I wonder how it will be for PSP2???

Mike
Jan 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
The only thing I would possibly disagree with is the "uninspired story mode mission design" bit at the top. Otherwise, I think this is a decent review. It's not overly negative and the reviewer has at least played PSO so he knows how things were. I do wonder why in the world the review was posted on the 6th though. I understand games come out in gluts sometimes and taking the proper time to go through a game for the review process can take some time but this is late.

Edit:
Gamespot and Gamefaqs forums merged ages ago which is why the board is rather populated.

Red Ring
Jan 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
Anyone know if the servers are international for zero and psp2?

Kirukia
Jan 15, 2010, 01:44 AM
Lol Critic Review - 8
User Review - 8.9

Cruciarius
Jan 15, 2010, 10:21 AM
Comparing any handheld game to a previous game in the series that was on a console system, it's kind of obvious the console game would out do the handheld version. However, I feel PSZ is a great game for the DS. Probably around an 8 or 9. Not 10, due to how short it is and how I'm not a fan of the pictochat-like chat system.

@ Red Ring: For PSZ, as far as I know, their are no servers. Games are done from DS to DS. I see no "connecting to server" messages, when going online with it. It simply connects to a WiFi source, which you then do a search for others wanting a game or connect to a friend.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
Game review websites are rather funny. They've given some of my favorite games bad scores, they've given some great games good scores. Really, all they should talk about is what the game play is like and let people decide for themselves.

People might commonly be disappointed with how they score. Considering they rate Demon Soul's very high and gave it game of the year. That probably created a lot of disappointed customers because the game is just too unforgiving for a lot of them to enjoy it.

Essentially: Formulate your own opinion because game reviews are not from your perspective.

Also, PSOZ is the best DS game I've ever played and I'm a huge Megaman fanboy (I like ZX and ZX:Advent). It's a very solid DS game and I seriously didn't expect it to come close to how much I liked PSO but I like it a lot more (probably because of the whole free easy to use online thing).

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'll just quote what I said in the 1UP review comment thread

We were looking for PSZ for a buddy of mine who lives near DC when I was up there and we went to a couple of GameStops and a Best Buy before we finally found ONE copy left, and the excuse from the other stores wasn't "we don't carry it" it was "we're sold out" >: )

It wouldn't be a good game if it didn't sell out!

If a game sells out in multiple stores in one of the most populated areas in the USA/world even a month after its release? Yeah I'm sold, I don't care what some nappy reviewer says.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:47 AM
I'll just quote what I said in the 1UP review comment thread

If a game sells out in multiple stores in one of the most populated areas in the USA/world even a month after its release? Yeah I'm sold, I don't care what some nappy reviewer says.

Do you like Nintendogs by any chance? That game was quite sold out when it came out.
Just curious if your sold out = awesome thing applies to everything or just things you have a preliminary interest in.

Krank32oz
Jan 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
PS games have always had lackluster reviews except for a few exceptions. This game doesn't appeal to the mass population i don't think but as long as we like it and enjoy it that's all that matters!

GreenArcher
Jan 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hey You, Pikachu! for the N64 was sold out as well for a bit.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hey You, Pikachu! for the N64 was sold out as well for a bit.

Yeah, and that game SUCKED. I can't believe I bought it. Probably one of the worst games I've ever played.

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hmmm I haven't tried Nintendogs yet, might be one of those weird easily to get addicted to things though *scratches chin* I'm always game to try something new (or old) out though!

I don't play/like "all" "SOLD OUT" massive sales games but if a game sells out alot then yes it is, by majority standards at least, a good game. Even if the majority is wrong, and said game has technical flaws/holes, etc. if the majority "enjoy it" and it sells well it is still a good game even if it has flaws because it has some enjoyable element that the people who play it percieve it to be a good game.

Facts usually speak for themselves, take Madden for instance, I can't stand that type of game BUT I can't deny it is a good game: Alot of people love it, love football, love putting the game in their hands, enjoy the customization make their own team etc. It sells well and has a large fan base and is enjoyable to them, it is a good game even if "I" don't like it. They've made like 20 Maddens, it wouldn't have that kind of longevity if it wasn't good.

Same goes for like Phantasy Star / Final Fantasy series. I like those kinds of games, I find enjoyable elements in them, other people do too, they sell well, and have produced multiple sequels and has an ever growing fanbase, even if the "Madden" people don't like it these games, they are by the nature of their success still good games.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hmmm I haven't tried Nintendogs yet, might be one of those weird easily to get addicted to things though *scratches chin* I'm always game to try something new (or old) out though!

I don't play/like "all" "SOLD OUT" massive sales games but if a game sells out alot then yes it is, by majority standards at least, a good game. Even if the majority is wrong, and said game has technical flaws/holes, etc. if the majority "enjoy it" and it sells well it is still a good game even if it has flaws because it has some enjoyable element that the people who play it percieve it to be a good game.

Facts usually speak for themselves, take Madden for instance, I can't stand that type of game BUT I can't deny it is a good game: Alot of people love it, love football, love putting the game in their hands, enjoy the customization make their own team etc. It sells well and has a large fan base and is enjoyable to them, it is a good game even if "I" don't like it. They've made like 20 Maddens, it wouldn't have that kind of longevity if it wasn't good.

Same goes for like Phantasy Star / Final Fantasy series. I like those kinds of games, I find enjoyable elements in them, other people do too, they sell well, and have produced multiple sequels and has an ever growing fanbase, even if the "Madden" people don't like it these games, they are by the nature of their success still good games.I like that kind of logic.

I think most games are good games.
The only games I consider bad games are games with really unresponsive controls (for example: Superman 64).
Otherwise it's usually a matter of taste.

I can't play Call of Duty or Metroid Prime.
Their music with a mixture of their realism gives me a mind numbing headache whenever I play them for more than 10 minutes.

LouieW
Jan 15, 2010, 12:44 PM
While I may agree with some of the negatives brought up in the review like a lack of variety of quests and poor friendly AI, I really have problems justifying such a low score off of both of those problems. The other issues with the game in the review I cannot agree with at all.

I have heard some other reviewers talk about a bad camera in the game before, but I still do not understand what they are talking about. It may just be me, but I have never had a problem with the camera. Even if I did, using the map on the bottom screen makes it fairly easy to see where hostiles are so they do not just sneak up on you. I might just be used to PSZ's camera though.

I disagree with the idea that combat is less fluid in PSZ than in previous installments of Phantasy Star games. Having recently played PSO again, I actually find using weapons in PSZ is easier especially with heavy attacks. It seems easier to change directions in the middle of a three hit combo than it was in PSO. Dodging and using Photon Arts also enhance combat in my opinion and they were not features found in PSO either. What I find strange about the review is that it mentions that veterans of the series will find the combat lacking in some way. I suppose I am just not a veteran by their measure then since I really do not see the "clumsy combat" that the reviewer mentions.

The beef the reviewer has with online play kind of makes sense to me, but it sounds like he just did not get on during the right time. On weekends it is usually not that difficult to find people on free play. So long as you register some people's friend codes I find that online play can be pretty enjoyable. I do not deny that the reviewer brings up some legitimate points, but I have problems justifying a 6.5 score for Phantasy Star Zero.

pso_crash
Jan 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
didn't really talk about the online play at all. His review is almost entirely based on the single player mode. Too bad, some people are going to read that and end up passing up a great gaming experience. Maybe psz will end up as a hidden gem, if the multiplayer stays alive.

Akaimizu
Jan 15, 2010, 01:30 PM
It's, by far, the best dungeon crawler on the system. Then again. It is a dungeon crawler that isn't Diablo III on a full-fledged PC. But yeah, I think the problem is that Phantasy Star gets compared to a full-blown (just last gen console) game where all the other DS games aren't judged by how they directly compare to anything (recent console).

I mean, how well would Crystal Chronicles fare if they decided to compare the controls and graphical representation to a full-fledged console or PC Dungeon Crawler release? I didn't, when I played it, and yet they were also able to ignore such a comparison. Not so for PS.

While the score might be something one would agree with or not. Especially if you think people rate games too high. I can see that. However, that would mean they really ought to bring down the ratings of a lot of other releases. Especially since it seems they're expecting the DS to be another system. A little more consideration on what the developer had to do vs. the limitations of the system, should've been in order.

On the other hand, I think the Gamespot reviewer was a bit better on it, than the 1up one. Instead of making as many unfair comparisons, they simply cited the similarities of gameplay with PSO. The last couple of lines, from the review, still says it all. You can't get a better, like experience, on the DS.

True. People want to see major advanced updates to the gameplay, given that this is a Phantasy Star release, with a new name. Still, there's a good reason why many gameplay systems (that aren't using the latest console/pc advances) aren't released on many DS games. Because quite a few of them require more resources and memory to keep. For me, I think the portable world needs it's steps. It wasn't long ago, when they were realizing full-blown game releases of the complexity and length of SNES games on Nintendo Portables. I figure we need SEGA to introduce *good* dungeon crawlers before we start having far advanced ones. Lord knows, hardly anyone else is stepping up to the plate.

Krank32oz
Jan 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
PSO is all about the multiplayer. Enough said. Without online the game does lack a little. I play offline so i can be better for online