PDA

View Full Version : Help with FOnewearl

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
So I'm a lovely little FOnewearl with super low HP and defense.

I've heard people talking about using guard materials on FOnewearls because they take too much damage to survive in Super Hard without them.

Now what I would like to know is just how many guard materials I should use. Also, aren't HP materials technically better?
Since they give 2 hp and guard only gives one defense. Thus providing me with twice the amount of resistance to death?

This would only not be the case if defense was calculated in a different way other than just basic addition and subtraction.
So does anyone know how defense is calculated?

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 09:06 AM
From my experience with my FOnewearl the best defense is skillful avoidence, i.e. proper rolling / knowledge of monster patterns so you never get hit is better then any amount of defense points.
But I would say invest in HP if you want a little "defense" since it covers both physical/non physical damage.

FOnewearls are fun! good luck!

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
From my experience with my FOnewearl the best defense is skillful avoidence, i.e. proper rolling / knowledge of monster patterns so you never get hit is better then any amount of defense points.
But I would say invest in HP if you want a little "defense" since it covers both physical/non physical damage.

FOnewearls are fun! good luck!

Oh well of course I dodge roll.
That's a given.
I'm more worried about the OHKO. As long as I can survive those I'm fine.
Now I DO avoid them if I can, but on the off chance my timing is off I'd rather not waste a scape doll.

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
*scratches head* the only thing I've ever been 1HKO'ed by on my HUcast at least is Reyburns triple fireball to the face on SH, the next closes thing I can remember that comes close is Dark Falz's "blue beam" that leaves you with 1 hp or his "black beam" might 1HKO if you have low hp. Probably some of Humilias's attacks might 1HKO a FO but I just never get him by them anymore except the tiles so I'm not sure.

I'd still say HP mats would be better then guard ones since like I said it covers physical/elemental damage instead of just physical, plus HP mats are the only way to boost your hp.

If you wanted a lil extra DFP i'd get it from a mag, like a Larg or Feo

I wasn't trying to be condecending or something with the barrel roll comment, I was just stating the truth that the best way to avoid damage is just not get hit :P

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I usually avoid the OHKO thing by using Jellen.
In some cases it just proves to fail useful. I can avoid the common ohko combos such as Reyburns triple fireball, Humilias Ice then chop (still need ice protect lol), Octos suck you in then chew you. Dark Falz is the only one I'm not worried about as his attacks are pretty lame in terms of ohko.

EDIT:

Although, now that I think about it.
I would get a boost in defense by using deband if I had more defense. That is sort of multiplier of sorts.

Cruciarius
Jan 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have a lvl 88 FOnewearl and maxed out on mind materials. I've got no problem in SH, unless I get mobbed by several hostiles, which is easily avoidable by moving.

OHKO is rare, for me. Octo has done it a few times, but I think that's it, for bosses. That bit machine in the plant (just woke up, can't think of the name) can be a pain, if I don't dodge the missile. Those 2 are the only OHKO hostiles are all I can think of. The machine being semi-easy to avoid.

Wouldn't guard or evade be better suited for the mag to have, if you really need more?

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah you could use deband, I like to run around with Shifta/Zalure to maximize my damage (GRRR wish there were more pallete slots)

And I don't know why... but it always seems the non-Tech versions of a buff/debuff are better then the tech ones! Like a 4-chain Midgul usuall triples my Over End damage, but a regular shifta/zalure might add like... 100 damage to each Over End ht AT BEST? And the Jellen on my Dioskurori.. holy crap, Phobos will go from 150ish damage or w/e to like 50 when it procs, can't say the same for tech Jellen.

Oh yeah, I've found this "sweet spot" on Octo in phase 2 where if you stand at the edge of the platform diagnal to his head when its facing forward you will miss most of the tentacle attacks and when he goes to do "face sucking" I get stuck on the platform and don't get sucked in heck I could even stand still and he can't get me, you still gotta look out for when he turns his head to spit at you, or the one tentacle attack where both grab you and do continuous damage.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:18 AM
Cruciarus - You sure about that? Are you saying you can dodge every attack and not get OHKO or are you saying you can survive through most attacks in the game on Super Hard without dying in one hit?

Tizerak - Lmfao, yeah it does seem that way.

I wish there was more pallete slots too. I happen to like using all of my techniques.

Cruciarius
Jan 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm saying I can dodge most of the hard hitting attacks from hostiles.

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 10:26 AM
The only way I could think of they could get more pallete buttons in there is if they used the X button, you could either make it just an extra slot so youd have 4 and 4 to make 8, or you could make it a seperate arrangement like when you hold R so you could have 3, 3, and 3 to make 9.
The X button doesn't really do much in combat as it is anyway, you can cancel charged techs with it but rolling does the same thing, and it turns the camera around but L can do about the same, plus the camera moves when you move anyway.
I'm pretty sure people would give up the small functionality of the X button for more pallete slots (especially FO's) in a heartbeat :P

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'm saying I can dodge most of the hard hitting attacks from hostiles.

Clearly, but does that mean you can take the hit even if you don't time it perfectly? I assume it will leave you with minor amounts of HP, but some is better than none.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
The only way I could think of they could get more pallete buttons in there is if they used the X button, you could either make it just an extra slot so youd have 4 and 4 to make 8, or you could make it a seperate arrangement like when you hold R so you could have 3, 3, and 3 to make 9.
The X button doesn't really do much in combat as it is anyway, you can cancel charged techs with it but rolling does the same thing, and it turns the camera around but L can do about the same, plus the camera moves when you move anyway.
I'm pretty sure people would give up the small functionality of the X button for more pallete slots (especially FO's) in a heartbeat :P
I'd be all over the X button thing. To be honest I didnt know it canceled spells. I'd rather waste the TP points it uses to get two more palette buttons. I never use Barta because I simply don't have enough space (that and because zonde is way cooler).

Cruciarius
Jan 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
The only hostile single attack that I can recall OHKOing my FOnewearl, due to bad roll timing is the missile from that machine in the plants.

That's me though. If you feel you need more guard, HP or evade, to survive, go for it.

Jessums
Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 AM
The only hostile single attack that I can recall OHKOing my FOnewearl, due to bad roll timing is the missile from that machine in the plants.

That's me though. If you feel you need more guard, HP or evade, to survive, go for it.

I'll stay on the fence until I unlock super hard so I can find out how much each of the large monsters do

ARChan
Jan 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
I say you'd just have to worry about the large monsters' melee attacks. That's where lots of FOnewm/newearl get their 1-Hit KOs. Here are particulars that you would want to watch out for:

-Helion jump
-Pelcatraz shockwave
-Hilde punch combo
-Froutang hook punch
-Rohjade bounce
-Arkzein missiles
-Phobos vertical slash

These are the ones I've found to take a large chunk of my HP when I had a FOnewm. And yes, oddly, the Arkzein missiles are considered melee for some odd, ridiculous reason.

Tizerak
Jan 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
I say you'd just have to worry about the large monsters' melee attacks. That's where lots of FOnewm/newearl get their 1-Hit KOs. Here are particulars that you would want to watch out for:

-Helion jump
-Pelcatraz shockwave
-Hilde punch combo
-Froutang hook punch
-Rohjade bounce
-Arkzein missiles
-Phobos vertical slash

These are the ones I've found to take a large chunk of my HP when I had a FOnewm. And yes, oddly, the Arkzein missiles are considered melee for some odd, ridiculous reason.

God Helions became so annoying in SH, kind of like with Arkzeins they just spam they're jump sometimes like 4-5 times it's so frustrating like Arkzeins that charge over, and over, and over.

Hmm maybe Arkzein missles have a secret punching glove inside them that hits you really quick and you can't see it in the explosion? that might make it melee? p_p

ARChan
Jan 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
God Helions became so annoying in SH, kind of like with Arkzeins they just spam they're jump sometimes like 4-5 times it's so frustrating like Arkzeins that charge over, and over, and over.

Hmm maybe Arkzein missles have a secret punching glove inside them that hits you really quick and you can't see it in the explosion? that might make it melee? p_p

Arkzeins actually have this odd problem against semi-close mechgun users. When I was using my mechguns on one, although I'm taking away an average of 19 per hit with an extra boost of 134 damage from heat damage, it was only able to use its machine guns on me and nothing else. If you get too close it would just go "Transformers!" on your butt. Haha!

kirtblue
Jan 16, 2010, 04:23 PM
if your worried about dieing maybe a newman is not for you no matter how you build them they will still be frail compared to any other races/classes