PDA

View Full Version : Guard

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
My hunter has several mags now. Latest is a 40 power/60 guard mag. My thought was of making a hunter with high guard that took little damage.

I've been using a shield, since they're one of my favorite weapons. The damage from them isn't high, but they allow me to block from some attacks, which is very useful.

But... what does guard do? It's supposed to reduce the damage dealt to you, right? Well...

shield + 40 power/60 guard mag = Korse shots deal about 50 damage
sword + 100 power mag = Korse shots deal about 50 damage

I tried both set ups above and had that result, after allowing them to shoot me a few times (in hard more). As far as I could see, higher guard means nothing.

Also, this test allowed me to test my power/guard mag vs a pure power mag and had this as a result during WiFi play:

shield + 40 power/60 guard mag = ~80-95 damage
shield + 100 power mag = just over 100 damage

All this testing was done in hard mode Arca, so obviously more testing should be done. I don't get why such a big power difference results in such little damage dealt or why so much guard vs little guard results in no damage received difference.

l3iohazard
Jan 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
5 guard is 1 less damage... Some attacks have a set damage

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
Eh... only 1 less damage per 5 guard?

Think I may stick with the 100 power mag then or maybe a power/guard mag, but more power than guard this time.

Tizerak
Jan 20, 2010, 11:59 AM
If you want to be tanky McTank Tank make a guard mag and get a weapon/shield with high level Jellen (weapon proc jellen is a billion times better then the tech version), when Jellen procs you'll take 0 damage from physical attacks of monsters or just dodge them completely.

Some annoying monsters *shakes fist at A/krose* don't do physical damage, they do some kind of element (I haven't figured out Krose's yet) so guard means jack but the Jellen will still lower it some.

I think barrier shift is the lamest shield PA since all you have to do is L-lock on and you Guard everything 180o in front of you albeit at a cost of 10~ PP per blocked attack, v.s. the short charge time of barrier shift but it only guards for like 3-4 seconds ( you can't complete a full shield combo in that time, at least not a heavy one) although it does guard 360o around you for the short duration and you can move around while its going.
I definately prefer Linear Shave for the 4 attacks 360o around you, Bull smash is ok..

Silvaya
Jan 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
a/korse uses light element, which is why u sometimes get confused when hit by one of them

and doesn't barrier shift give invincibility to those around you too? so i guess its good in a party

Tizerak
Jan 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've never really used it in a group environment cause the duration is garbage but it might, but still you would have to chain cast it to make it work and it might have a small radius anyway.

If I want group invincibility I pray we have a competent FO's that uses Flozir, best party PB ever, mmmmm mmmm!

Kirukia
Jan 20, 2010, 12:18 PM
It does. Some guy was protecting everyone from the dragon while he flew at us once, but you had to be next to him.

And yes Flozir is amazing in a party of 4. A few days ago we killed SH Humilias with hardly any damage taken.

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
If you want to be tanky McTank Tank make a guard mag and get a weapon/shield with high level Jellen (weapon proc jellen is a billion times better then the tech version), when Jellen procs you'll take 0 damage from physical attacks of monsters or just dodge them completely.

Great idea. I'll hope for Jellen on Ajex, if/when I find it. ^^;

As for the mag, I don't want to go all guard, though no damage to me would be nice. It also means I would deal little damage and long battles. I want to deal at least ~100 damage per normal attack.

Silvaya
Jan 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
yeah lol. the parties i run in can pwn SH humilias in about 10 seconds or less with 4-chain flozir

Tizerak
Jan 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
I throw on max tank gear as a novelty if I know the group is high dps so I can just go charging in to every battle and never die / soak damage for people, maybe cause I miss being a tank on MMO's I still can't find that taunt button....

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Before I make another mag, I'm gonna hunt down a divine/power. Running with a hero/power right now.

I also need to get into SH, with my HUcast (just need to do a few quests, to find out which one I missed), to see what I do in SH.

Silvaya
Jan 20, 2010, 01:13 PM
I throw on max tank gear as a novelty if I know the group is high dps so I can just go charging in to every battle and never die / soak damage for people, maybe cause I miss being a tank on MMO's I still can't find that taunt button....

tanks still seem to get owned if they charge in without back up lol.

i've seen some squishies run ahead into battle w/o the rest of the 3 ppl in the party...yeah. dark shrine ate them up in a split second. i lol'd

Kirukia
Jan 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
tanks still seem to get owned if they charge in without back up lol.

i've seen some squishies run ahead into battle w/o the rest of the 3 ppl in the party...yeah. dark shrine ate them up in a split second. i lol'd

Thats why I love forces. We can destroy Shrine and heal all our hp in a split second. Yay forces *runs ahead*

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
This is my plan with my HUcast:

Have high defense.
Use a shield with Jellen.
Make use of HP regen, similar to the force builds that don't need to use fluids often.

However, I doubt the HP regen can be anywhere near the PP regen of forces, due to no health units like PP regen lvl 5 or tech cost reducing units.

Kirukia
Jan 20, 2010, 01:48 PM
This is my plan with my HUcast:

Have high defense.
Use a shield with Jellen.
Make use of HP regen, similar to the force builds that don't need to use fluids often.

However, I doubt the HP regen can be anywhere near the PP regen of forces, due to no health units like PP regen lvl 5 or tech cost reducing units.

HP regen 5 from Arkzein Rs. I found two earlier but no luck sorry bud :<

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 02:04 PM
HP recovery lv 5?
My HUcast has one equipped actually. xD

But still, their is still no health unit like the tech/PA cost reduction units. Only health regen ones, which I don't think can be stacked.

Kirukia
Jan 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well there is defense, which reduces the damage you take.
Divine/Guard.
xD

Cruciarius
Jan 20, 2010, 02:20 PM
I know, but what is that, +25 guard? If 5 guard = 1 less damage, that is only 5 less damage taken per hit. Not really a health unit balance to the tech/PA reduction units.