PDA

View Full Version : Offline Super Hard Mode question

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Do I need to do the Eternal Tower on Hard Mode two more times to unlock Super Hard Mode offline for my alts?

If so... I really need to decide whether I want to keep these chars for the long run. Mainly looking at my FOmar, swapping him for a FOnewm possibly.

Pokerealm
Jan 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, you have to do the Hard Tower for every character to unlock SH for them.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
yeah you have to do Hard ET to unlock SH for each of your characters (along with all the other quest on Hard).

but i wonder, why do you want a FOnewm over a FOmar? :)

EthanEde
Jan 21, 2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah you have to unlock it with each character but the real question is: why would you want to? My HUcast unlocked hard and super hard offline, the other charcters I don't bother with. I run ET a lot with my HUcast, and when I find something nice for the othe guys I send it over to them. The only real reason to do it I can see is the challenge of playing it with a different character type. And that holds no sway over me. Quest reqards can be repeated by the charater who unlocked it and the title rewards are one time only....so why do you want to run it with multiple characters?

Kirukia
Jan 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah you have to unlock it with each character but the real question is: why would you want to? My HUcast unlocked hard and super hard offline, the other charcters I don't bother with. I run ET a lot with my HUcast, and when I find something nice for the othe guys I send it over to them. The only real reason to do it I can see is the challenge of playing it with a different character type. And that holds no sway over me. Quest reqards can be repeated by the charater who unlocked it and the title rewards are one time only....so why do you want to run it with multiple characters?

Yeah I got my FOmarl to offline SH so I figure I'll just hunt stuff in ET with her instead of getting every character to SH. Much less work. I can always play the other levels online.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 21, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah I got my FOmarl to offline SH so I figure I'll just hunt stuff in ET with her instead of getting every character to SH. Much less work. I can always play the other levels online.

really, can you help me?! i run with my FOmarl set zonde and barta to my pallette, a WD, and a Hit mag but its so damn hard! especially when i run into Zahobos or those gorillas. and i miss the mothers considerably with slicers unless i equip D/Hit units. is Grantis effective?

Kirukia
Jan 21, 2010, 06:37 PM
really, can you help me?! i run with my FOmarl set zonde and barta to my pallette, a WD, and a Hit mag but its so damn hard! especially when i run into Zahobos or those gorillas. and i miss the mothers considerably with slicers unless i equip D/Hit units. is Grantis effective?

With hard I used a slicer cuz I was in my 80s anyway. Even before that I pretty much just used a slicer. Umm but on SH my palette is...
Resta, Fluids, Normal Attack
Anti, Grants, Megid

Between grants and megid you'll usually find an open spot, more so in lower difficulties. On tougher enemies you can just melee them since usually the bigger enemies don't have much melee resistance. For Arkzein I might change my palette to zonde and deband. Dodge roll helps on them as well.

For enemies like the monkeys and zaphobos I stay behind them and melee. Don't stay far in front of zaphobos they will whack you. Stay behind them. If you want you can stay back from the monkeys and use slicers since their ranged attacks don't hit too hard. If you're going to use a wand or rod stay behind them and run around them when they attack.

For Mothers just use zonde. Its pretty effective and it seeks the enemy for you. You can also re-stock on fluids after the battle anyway.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
oh gawd grantis/megid, i thought i was saving pp when i use zonde/barta

Kirukia
Jan 21, 2010, 06:43 PM
I don't pure spam them. I even out with some melee too. Also depends on what I'm fighting.
But sometimes I'll get to the 10th floor with all my fluids fully stacked.
Yay for PP regens. If it helps you can equip one and browse forums for a minute too.

Sometimes even 1-2 a room is overkill. I usually use grants.
Also I believe grants and gigrants have the same PP cost.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
they do but gigrantis does less damage for a wider PBAoE

Assassin 45
Jan 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
The ET is one of the worst things I have come across in a video game ever, and I've played alot. Mainly the fact that it's mandatory to get to SH. I'm still debating on weather or not I'm gonna get a second cart because of it. I could understand if it wasn't mandatory and all the best rares were in there.

Kirukia
Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
they do but gigrantis does less damage for a wider PBAoE

Yeah and it's easier to control. Anyway I hope that helps. Thats just what I do anyway. Oh and I use a pure mind mag and my mats are 75 mind/25 hit.

@Assassin: ET was pretty made to be the most tedious and obnoxious level in phantasy star history. Its on par with ocarina of time's water temple.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
ugh you have more hit than me, im 80mind/20power mats but can equip a 70mind/30hit mag to compensate

also there was an extremely long dungeon in Shining Force Neo and Luminous Arc =o

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 09:01 PM
Looks like I got my answer pretty early on, thanks guys!

To answer the 2 questions I saw on the first page:

1) I'm trying to warm up to FOmar, I really am. I must be doing something wrong that's preventing me from using the class to its full potential. I went full MST mats, so that limits me to force weapons mainly. If I went full atp so that my power and mind would be close to equal, what are some good melee and ranged options for this class?

It's also aesthetics. My FOmar looks fine if I have the last head option, but who doesn't use that one? I'm using option 2 at the moment just to be "unique", but it just makes me wanna punch the guy. Back to the spikey hair, I suppose!

2) Maybe I'll just keep my alts on hard mode for the time being, I still have rares to collect from those difficulties anyways. Having a lv100 ranger running all the maps on super hard isn't such a bad thing, kinda feels like wasted exp though. If I manage to get my alts to lv90 on hard mode, I'll just make them plow through ET on a rainy day or something at that point.

Really, this thread has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Gofr
Jan 21, 2010, 09:10 PM

1) I'm trying to warm up to FOmar, I really am. I must be doing something wrong that's preventing me from using the class to its full potential. I went full MST mats, so that limits me to force weapons mainly. If I went full atp so that my power and mind would be close to equal, what are some good melee and ranged options for this class?

It's also aesthetics. My FOmar looks fine if I have the last head option, but who doesn't use that one? I'm using option 2 at the moment just to be "unique", but it just makes me wanna punch the guy. Back to the spikey hair, I suppose!

2) Maybe I'll just keep my alts on hard mode for the time being, I still have rares to collect from those difficulties anyways. Having a lv100 ranger running all the maps on super hard isn't such a bad thing, kinda feels like wasted exp though. If I manage to get my alts to lv90 on hard mode, I'll just make them plow through ET on a rainy day or something at that point.

LIES!!!! I use my Fomar much for aesthetics as well as for utility. However, the biggest lie I see is his head!!! Real Fomars use top hats b/c top hats > anything else you can stick on that lump between your shoulders that you call your head. Good day, sir!!!

Kirukia
Jan 21, 2010, 09:12 PM

a) Force weapons and slicers are melee. They attack with MST as well, so you don't need to contribute to ATP. Until SH most people use melee anyway because you don't need tons of hit and your spells won't be efficient enough.

b) The customization is so horrible you'll pretty much have a look alike regardless. Just do what you'd like.

If you'd like but if you hunt things on your RA you'll be able to level more quickly on your alts. Either way is fine. You'll get bored if you try to use the same character constantly.

zeital
Jan 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
i didn't think u had to do hard ET on all i thought it was just doing all the quests with one chara, or does that only unlock SH for that one chara ?

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 09:49 PM
a) Force weapons and slicers are melee. They attack with MST as well, so you don't need to contribute to ATP. Until SH most people use melee anyway because you don't need tons of hit and your spells won't be efficient enough.

b) The customization is so horrible you'll pretty much have a look alike regardless. Just do what you'd like.

If you'd like but if you hunt things on your RA you'll be able to level more quickly on your alts. Either way is fine. You'll get bored if you try to use the same character constantly.

a) Keep forgetting I can use slicers, I've been using my Emerald Tablet almost exclusively for the exp boost and gimegid / magical sign spammage. Need to grind my level up to get to use those lv15 tech disks and those most sought after force weapons. Once I get high enough and raise another hit mag, I'll add in slicers (and rods) to the mix. :)

b) Again, another good reminder. Not very hard to find a lookalike online in freeplay, hahaha.

When I still played PSU, I used my CAST almost exclusively. My poor alts never hit a level cap, ever. Gonna have to make it up to 'em in this version... or not! :p

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
LIES!!!! I use my Fomar much for aesthetics as well as for utility. However, the biggest lie I see is his head!!! Real Fomars use top hats b/c top hats > anything else you can stick on that lump between your shoulders that you call your head. Good day, sir!!!
Your post has inspired me. I see what's been missing all along!

A tip of the hat to you, sir.

kirtblue
Jan 22, 2010, 08:38 PM
i didn't think u had to do hard ET on all i thought it was just doing all the quests with one chara, or does that only unlock SH for that one chara ?

only unlocks it for the one you must do 14 quests per character that you want to do super with on solo thats all the quests including the tower and minus the third daughter
if you dont mind being online you can do super after level 60 but this means they cant do super et and thats where all the best stuff in the game is
i got two characters on super right now trying to force myself to do the hard et again to get the third one
sucks alot huh