PDA

View Full Version : Isms / Phrases that get on your nerves

Tizerak
Jan 22, 2010, 09:59 AM
1. "When you're out in the "real world"."

Drives me up the wall, an arrogant statement that rolls off moronic tongues.
So let me get this straight, before your "real world" we're in dream land? For the first 18 years of our life we're born into a coma of imagination until we're done with school and then we "wake up" and find ourselves in this "real world" that astonishingly seems exactly like the dream world we were just in except we have a full time job, or depending on one's standard of this magic "real world" when you're not living with parents or in a dorm room / college housing.
What if you start working part time in high school when you're 14/15, do you slip in and out of dream land coma to be in the real world only when you work? What if you go to college? is your coma prolonged until you graduate and find something full-time?

"No we basically mean the "tough world"." Whatever that means.

So in reality calling it the "real world" is just icing on your bullshit cake of "When you're dealing with the same troubles we do". Oh so only your troubles are tough? Hate to pop your crap-logic bubble, but "troubles" are only based on one's perception i.e. they're all RELATIVE.
Babies have it pretty rough too you know? Can't communicate properly, only make sounds and wild gestures, need someone else to hold them up, they can't even physically roll over on their own, can't feed themselves, shit their pants, and would basically die without near 24/7 care. Sounds like the younger version of what "some" elderly people have to go through. Having your independence / freedom be nonexistant (if your a baby) or robbed from you (as elderly) sounds fairly tough to me.
What about children with a deadly form of cancer or some other horrible disease that eats away at their flesh and they have to live knowing that they'll never get into their teens, experience love, etc. I'm pretty these kinds of things are alot more "tough" then your woeful bills or having to get up to a full-time job in the morning if we're going to compare troubles.

No one's shit or troubles are any worse then someone elses shit, it all sucks, hurts, stinks.

So anyway now that that's covered, furthering in the spirit of George Carlin analyzing these stupid things people say, what's a phrase or things people say that get on your nerves?

Outrider
Jan 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty these kinds of things are alot more "tough" then your woeful bills or having to get up to a full-time job in the morning if we're going to compare troubles.

No one's shit or troubles are any worse then someone elses shit, it all sucks, hurts, stinks.

So which point are you trying to make?

Tizerak
Jan 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
The bottom quote.

The examples are more at a stab at the idea that one person's troubles are "greater" then everyone elses, it was to give merit to troubles I said in the examples that are "outside" of the "real world" phrase. It was to show that all troubles are valid there are just different kinds of different intensities for different stages of life, one isn't worse / better per say then another because it's all relative to the individual experiencing them.
The only way you could really judge two people or different troubles, etc. would be to take 2 people born from the same parents at the same in the same space as the same gender / genetics / etc., same name, same outside / environmental / social / etc. forces imposed on them through the course of their life and look at the choices they made.
Of course such a thing currently is impossible because as far as we know 2 people can not occupy the same exact space at the same time much less be completely identical beings themselves, hence you can not truly fairly judge people, things, troubles, etc.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
So you're arguing that somebody who just lost a loved one isn't experiencing something worse than somebody who just got a papercut?

I get where you're going with pointing out that people need to keep things in perspective, but I think it's pretty obvious that certain problems are several orders of magnitude greater than others.

Tizerak
Jan 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
So you're arguing that somebody who just lost a loved one isn't experiencing something worse than somebody who just got a papercut?

I get where you're going with pointing out that people need to keep things in perspective, but I think it's pretty obvious that certain problems are several orders of magnitude greater than others.

Like I said, it's all relative. The person who gets that paper cut might have never (unlikely yes but still possible) experienced any kind of pain in their entire life and all the sudden get this paper cut, having never experienced pain this is the worst thing they've ever felt in their life, and for them, having never experienced pain before it is.
Now the person who has lost the love one, it might be the first time they've ever lost a loved one in their life, lets say their mother died, and they were very close to them etc. of course to this person that kind of loss is the worst thing they've experienced in their life.
I'm just going to refer to the person with the paper cut as "Paper Cut" and the person that lost their mom "Lost Mother".
Lost Mother could have also experience hundreds of paper cuts in their life so for them paper cuts are nothing to the loss of the mother. Now these two meet and sit down and talk about their recent troubles. Lost Mother may be like pssh you think a little paper cut is bad? wait till you lose your mother! Paper Cut might be like I don't know that paper cut was the worst thing (and for him the only painful thing) I've experienced in my life! Paper Cut hearing about a lost mother might try and imagine what it would be like but really has no idea how bad losing his mother might be because he hasn't experienced it yet, where as Lost Mother has experienced both so for HIM he can compare the two problems for himself and decide which is worse, Paper Cut can not he's only experienced a paper cut.
Say Paper Cut does eventually lose his mother, what if he doesn't care about his mother? unlike Lost Mother maybe Paper Cut left home as soon as he was able and with no regrets. He might get word that his mom died and be like oh...uhhh ok? and for him because he had no/little value on his mother, when she died, a paper cut was still #1 worst thing to him, maybe him losing his mother was as insignificant as a paper cut to Lost Mother?
So someone says well what if Paper Cut actually lost an actual loved one that he cared about? Well then that might, to him, tip that experience to #1 above the paper cut, but what if Paper Cut has no loved ones? maybe he likes being alone and just doesn't care about anyone else, and will never experience the "loss of a loved one" that Lost Mother did.

Pain, troubles, joy, etc. all those perceived things are "in the eye of the beholder" they're based on the individuals experience, and the value they put on them. You can't really compare troubles on some scale unless maybe you get two people that have experienced the same thing in a similar way like two people that have lost their mother to cancer or something and they were very close to them, etc. so they'd be able to relate about it to each other, but it would just be for those people that have experienced it the one's that haven't don't have a clue until they experience it for themselves, and EVEN THEN people can experience the exact same thing and have completely opposite opinions about it.

You could have two US soldiers in the middle east war or w/e same platoon, etc. they see the same shit, one of them thinks war is the most horrifying thing they've ever experienced, it's hell on earth etc. etc. well to the other person maybe War is fantastic! it's exciting they love the action, shooting guns, killing bad guys, etc.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
In other words, we must always consider that when making any comparisons, the most outside-of-the-curve insane extremes must be kept in mind on the incredibly unlikely chance that it causes things that are generally accepted to be comparable to suddenly be the opposite of what the rest of the world accepts and expects.

Are you trying to approach this as a Schrodinger's cat type of thought experiment or you honestly believe that this is something people should expect in everyday scenarios?

If I'm really going to be assuming that a death could possibly mean less than a papercut in a common interaction, should I then be worried that people might also react a picture of a dog the same way that I might react to the sight of roadkill? Maybe if I wear a peace sign t-shirt, somebody might react to it the way they would react to a shirt bearing a swastika.

Or maybe none of those things are likely to occur normally in everyday society. Maybe there are generally accepted standards because they generally occur that way. There may be outliers, but even then they're not so far outside of the norm that you're likely to come across such a foreign situation as the one that you've described.

Obviously people may feel different about different experiences, but there's almost always an accepted norm. Sometimes you fall within it and sometimes you fall outside of it. It's a pretty basic rule of thumb for not riling people up.

I understand that you're just ranting and you're trying to validate why your issues are somehow comparable to the issues of people in "the real world," but you're treating a philosophical argument like some sort of fact of reality. That's not how it works.

It's a perfectly harmless thought experiment, but you're taking it to the absurd extreme with your argument.

Jan 22, 2010, 07:06 PM
I hate when people say "I could care less" When they mean to say "I couldn't care less." Being able to care less about something means that your amount of caring can be anywhere between the maximum possible amount of caring and right above not caring in the slightest, so it isn't a very descriptive term, and often leads to confusion.

Tizerak
Jan 22, 2010, 07:20 PM
In other words, we must always consider that when making any comparisons, the most outside-of-the-curve insane extremes must be kept in mind on the incredibly unlikely chance that it causes things that are generally accepted to be comparable to suddenly be the opposite of what the rest of the world accepts and expects.

Are you trying to approach this as a Schrodinger's cat type of thought experiment or you honestly believe that this is something people should expect in everyday scenarios?

If I'm really going to be assuming that a death could possibly mean less than a papercut in a common interaction, should I then be worried that people might also react a picture of a dog the same way that I might react to the sight of roadkill? Maybe if I wear a peace sign t-shirt, somebody might react to it the way they would react to a shirt bearing a swastika.

Or maybe none of those things are likely to occur normally in everyday society. Maybe there are generally accepted standards because they generally occur that way. There may be outliers, but even then they're not so far outside of the norm that you're likely to come across such a foreign situation as the one that you've described.

Obviously people may feel different about different experiences, but there's almost always an accepted norm. Sometimes you fall within it and sometimes you fall outside of it. It's a pretty basic rule of thumb for not riling people up.

I understand that you're just ranting and you're trying to validate why your issues are somehow comparable to the issues of people in "the real world," but you're treating a philosophical argument like some sort of fact of reality. That's not how it works.

It's a perfectly harmless thought experiment, but you're taking it to the absurd extreme with your argument.

All I could think of after reading your post was "what?" it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only example I gave in the last post that was, I guess by your standards "extreme", was the one about the papercut v.s. death of a mother. You must have missed the ones about both Paper Cut's and Lost Mother's take on a death of a mother (which isn't even an extreme example some people are attached to their parents more then others and some not at all, hence they would take it differently), or the one about 2 soldiers take on the same war (which isn't extreme either some soldiers are in the military because they need the money and sometimes get stuck in a war and find it awful, others want to be in the military to kick ass and take names).

Yes I honestly believe people should be open-minded and take things relatively and not judge everything by their angle alone.

The examples you're giving don't make sense, a picture of a dog v.s. roadkill, what a picture of a healthy dog? v.s. roadkill? They're two different instances, it would be better for that kind of example to describe how 2 people view roadkill (one could view roadkill as disgusting, while the other sees it as free dinner), assuming you mean a picture of healthy dog I don't know it doesn't really make sense.

Peace Symbol v.s. Swastika: again two different instances, I don't really know what you're trying to say here, I suppose you could? Again, it would make more sense if that person was walking around with a shirt of swastika and thought of it as it's original origin (Native American wind symbol or some such) but you saw it and thought of WW2, Nazi's, Holocaust, etc.

Using extreme examples from time to time help to elaborate or make more clear the point being made, are those examples likely? maybe not, they are however still possible and are therefore still valid grounds for an example.

What is this magic "norm" you're talking about? That everyone is apparently supposed to adhere by? I don't know where you live maybe you get up from a bed and go to work everyday and see cars and corporate buildings, etc. What about someone who lives in the rural slums of Africa and go to bed on the dirt and spend their day scraping for food in order to live, that is their, so called "norm" or whatever. So because their norm isn't yours, that makes them an outsider? Because they were born there and you were born where you are? *raises an eyebrow*

Uhhh "norm" doesn't exist, it's a fairly tale, like Peter Pan, it's quaint, and gives people some false sense of comfortable regularity but it's an illusion. If a "norm" isn't applicable everywhere it isn't a "norm".

Trying to validate my issues and compare them to the issues of people in the "real world"? I uhhh haven't listed a single one of "my" issues I've been using examples that other people have / could have / have had.

It's ... not a philosophical argument, it's very logical and applicable to reality, it's not abstract at all.

But I'm taking it to the "absurd extreme", mmmm no, not really, at all.

Tizerak
Jan 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
I hate when people say "I could care less" When they mean to say "I couldn't care less." Being able to care less about something means that your amount of caring can be anywhere between the maximum possible amount of caring and right above not caring in the slightest, so it isn't a very descriptive term, and often leads to confusion.

Hmm that is an interesting one, never really thought about that statement. Yeah if you say "I could care less" it's like what do you mean? that you care about "it" a lot but are capable of caring for it less if you want to? Where as "I couldn't care less" is more along the lines of implying that you've hit the bottom of the "care scale" for "it" and is kind of a different way of saying you don't care at all.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 24, 2010, 02:44 AM
Guesstimate. Fuck you if you've ever used this word. It's either Guess, or Estimate.

Tetsaru
Jan 24, 2010, 04:44 AM
Guesstimate. Fuck you if you've ever used this word. It's either Guess, or Estimate.

Lol, I'm fucked then. I use that word often... that, and stuff like "ass"-istance. I tend to be very facetious like that.

A friend of mine seems to use the word "redonkulous" a lot lately...

Sinue_v2
Jan 24, 2010, 07:40 AM

It's a colloquialism. Informal. It's not meant to be dissected literally or held to a critical standard. "I could care less" is more of a verbal analogy of "I could not care less" - which, I think, is also an informal form of analogy because it evokes (or begs) the comparison to "I don't care". It suggests an absurdity (having less than nothing) to emphasize a point. "I could care less" is typically more sarcastic.

To me, criticizing informal language is a bit anal since we don't think in language; we think in electrical discharges and construct thought by association and metaphor. Language is only a means by which to describe and encode neural activity into a form and structure which can be transmitted into a foreign medium. It's kind of like dial-up modems back in the day which converted/deconverted digital information for transmission over analog POTS. Except the error correction protocols are all ass-backwards.

Outside of formal settings, so long as you get the meaning of what's being said - that's what matters. Criticizing colloquialisms such as "I could care less" is like criticizing ejaculation. Yes, it occasionally creates a mess nobody wants to deal with from time to time, but you defeat the purpose of language if you lose the content of what's trying to be expressed through rules of formality. Like just now, I'm sure the technical use of ejaculation as a part of grammatical speech did not correlate that way in your mind when you read it. Even if you knew the proper usage and context I was going for (it is a bit archaic), it's usage as a expletive tends to stand out.

Kion
Jan 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
"Even monkey`s fall from trees". サルも木から落ちる. The most over used and stupid saying in Japan.

BIG OLAF
Jan 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
Here are a select few that make me want to strangle the people who say them:

- "No offense, but.."

When a person says this, they will be following it with something that will, most likely, offend you.

- *says something that's incorrect, then finds out the correct answer, followed by saying:* "Just kidding!"

I've heard this from stupid, blond girls all through high school, out in public, and even on the internet. Makes me want to crush their skulls with a shovel.

- "That's what she said! *lolololol*"

The most annoying "joke" in human history. I hate it so much, that my friends know not to say it around me, or I'll kick them in the head. You know, like someone says "just stick it in a little further", or, "are you coming, or what?", and someone just has to be that guy.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
- "No offense, but.."

Rage x100000000000000000. "Why is it when someone says 'No offense', they really mean 'Kiss my ass'?" Ashley Williams, Mass Effect.

Delete
Jan 24, 2010, 09:22 PM

I am sure I do that a lot lol.

- "That's what she said! *lolololol*"

The most annoying "joke" in human history. I hate it so much, that my friends know not to say it around me, or I'll kick them in the head. You know, like someone says "just stick it in a little further", or, "are you coming, or what?", and someone just has to be that guy.

You would not like me then :lol: Jk, I don't do it too often anymore because I'm 19 and more mature. But sometimes, you just can't help throwing it out there.

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
"You know?"
Usually this follows someone describing a personal experience, in which case, I probably do not know. Secondly, if I didn't know, I would tell you. Do you really need to end all of your sentences with this to make sure I'm following?

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:24 PM
*I don't care"
Enough said... lol

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:27 PM
*I don't care"
Enough said... lol

Or "OK"
Its pretty much the same thing except they can't even bother to form a sentence, only a word.

Delete
Jan 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
"Money Doesn't Grow On Trees"

No shit.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:30 PM

No shit.

IT DOESN'T!? *goes and cries in the corner*
Anyway, its not a phrase but, when people are wannabe emos...

BIG OLAF
Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
wannabe emos...

Or just regular emos.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
Its all the same? lol

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Speaking of emos...
"You wouldn't understand"
Well no shit if you aren't going to explain it to me.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:35 PM
Lol. Also, who would be stupid enough to cut themselves just cause they wanna be "emo"?

Delete
Jan 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
"Everything Happens for a Reason"

Oh, so there's a perfect explanation why I broke my arm 2 months ago, awesome.

"It is what it is"

WTF does this even mean? How bout my fist is what your face is.

"Oh No you didn't"

This one is just annoying. Especially when the ladies do that thing with there hand along with it.

"Word"

Not really annoying, but it doesn't really make any logical sense.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 24, 2010, 09:39 PM

No shit.

But it DOES grow on trees! Or...in trees, rather.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:41 PM

Wait... So there might be tree elves that make money aside from cookies!? O,O

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:45 PM
"It is what it is"

Ugh isn't it just kind of like saying, "Its bad cuz it's bad"
It explains nothing. Its just pointing out the most obvious thing you could say about something.

Delete
Jan 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Ugh isn't it just kind of like saying, "Its bad cuz it's bad"
It explains nothing. Its just pointing out the most obvious thing you could say about something.

I agree. I guess this is for people who only attended 1st grade and that's all lol.

Until I see this:

http://www.ppiblog.com/images/tree.jpg

I won't believe it (even though it is the truth :D)

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Any sentence with "ain't" in it.
I don't care if it's in the dictionary. The correct word is "isn't".

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
Or when people say asked as aksed... LEARN PROPER GRAMMAR!

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 09:54 PM
I hate when people tell me to learn english or grammar when their own text is filled with errors.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
It annoys me when teachers can't spell or speak right... My history teacher can't spell at all ._.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 24, 2010, 10:16 PM
I hate when people tell me to learn english or grammar when their own text is filled with errors.
This always tickles me immensely, especially when they can't even capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
This always tickles me immensely, especially when they can't even capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

GAH! Even worse... ._.

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 10:25 PM
learn 2 reed!
Is my FAVORITE insult directed towards me.
My friend and I laughed so incredibly hard.
I also hate when teachers spell the plural of lie as lieing, when the accurate spelling is lying.
I swear you wouldn't believe how many teachers don't know this. I made a bet with my friend once and looked it up online. I won like 50 cents.

Z-735
Jan 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Rofl! 50 cents XD Must've been worth it?

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 02:20 AM
Simply wonderful stuff

Yes, yes, that's good and all. I was only using the guidelines you provided for this thought experiment, so I apologize if they turned out some truly confusing scenarios. I was just playing by the rules you laid out.

Unfortunately, it's a little late in the evening for me to address your nonsense in its entirety, so I'm just going to home in on this one point in particular:

What is this magic "norm" you're talking about? That everyone is apparently supposed to adhere by? I don't know where you live maybe you get up from a bed and go to work everyday and see cars and corporate buildings, etc. What about someone who lives in the rural slums of Africa and go to bed on the dirt and spend their day scraping for food in order to live, that is their, so called "norm" or whatever. So because their norm isn't yours, that makes them an outsider? Because they were born there and you were born where you are? *raises an eyebrow*

Uhhh "norm" doesn't exist, it's a fairly tale, like Peter Pan, it's quaint, and gives people some false sense of comfortable regularity but it's an illusion. If a "norm" isn't applicable everywhere it isn't a "norm".

Any time a group of people agrees on an acceptable opinion for any issue, a norm is created. It's sort of a thing that's going to inherently exist in most situations.

These vary by community, society and culture. Most people understand that there are differences in standards from one group of people to the next.

Not sure how I'll be able to simplify it anymore if you're still having trouble tomorrow, but I'll still give it a shot.

Tizerak
Jan 25, 2010, 07:12 AM

No shit.

Hahaha that one got a chuckle out of me.

Tizerak
Jan 25, 2010, 07:18 AM

"It is what it is"

"Oh No you didn't"

This one is just annoying. Especially when the ladies do that thing with there hand along with it.

"Word"

Not really annoying, but it doesn't really make any logical sense.

Oh god I can't stand the "everything happens for a reason". Eh hem teenage girl DUI's goes on the road, wrecks and dies, at the funeral the family is sad and people are there to pay their respects, offer comfort, etc. and low and behold there has to be that person that's like "there there, everything happens for a reason" uhhh DURRRR the girl made the a dumb decision to DUI and got killed for it, there's no magic behind it, twit.

Tizerak
Jan 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
Rofl I knew this would happen.

Simply wonderful stuff

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/Batman/images/thumb/4/42/The_Penguin_2.png/250px-The_Penguin_2.png
Waugh! waugh waugh waugh!

See what I did there? I can do the silly change actual post quotes game too! Isn't that neat!

Well since you've basically failed and broke the nice intellectual convo down to an insult game because you couldn't handle it, and just want to prove you're a basic forum troll, we're done :)

But, better luck next time, brush up on your skills and maybe you can join adult conversations again when you can handle it.

Bye bye!

Delete
Jan 25, 2010, 08:42 AM
"Good things come to those who wait"

Totally not true. Waiting won't get you a Job or a car, these are things you need to earn.

Kirukia
Jan 25, 2010, 09:05 AM
"That's just my two cents."

Two cents is worth pretty much nothing, so you're basically saying, "Well that's just my worthless opinion."

I feel like this statement pretty much robs you of all credibility.

Delete
Jan 25, 2010, 09:13 AM

Two cents is worth pretty much nothing, so you're basically saying, "Well that's just my worthless opinion."

I hear this way too often and the "Well that's just my worthless opinion" statement pretty much sums up the meaning. Good one. :D

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 11:02 AM
Rofl I knew this would happen.

See what I did there? I can do the silly change actual post quotes game too! Isn't that neat!

Well since you've basically failed and broke the nice intellectual convo down to an insult game because you couldn't handle it, and just want to prove you're a basic forum troll, we're done :)

But, better luck next time, brush up on your skills and maybe you can join adult conversations again when you can handle it.

Bye bye!

That's, uh... a pretty standard thing to do when you're trying not to quote a lengthy post in its entirety. Some people use a spoiler-box (using the [spoiler-box] tag), others remove or alter the text to just keep the post linked.

You should probably try and relax a bit.

Tizerak
Jan 25, 2010, 12:55 PM

Haha that's good never thought about it like that, maybe we should say "well that's my 2 billion".

Leviathan
Jan 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
"Even monkey`s fall from trees". サルも木から落ちる. The most over used and stupid saying in Japan.

I actually like this one.

I hate when people misuse/ overuse mature, is/are, legit, rape, pwn, fail, and various slurs.

Why do I go to a school full of abject girls and boys? :disapprove:

astuarlen
Jan 25, 2010, 03:07 PM
Aww, Sinue got here first. I could just say everything happens for a reason and take it as a sign I needn't bother posting, but I could care less if my two cents are wasted (my words are pretty much worthless anyway). Now, I ain't gonna haul out the ol' "could(n't) care less" Language Log link-wagon, 'cause I'm pretty sure no one read it in the past either.

I would, however, like to point out that substituting "aksed" for "asked" is not a manner of grammar (in English); it's a phonological feature--now most commonly (in the US) associated with African American Vernacular English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English) (which, before you start, is a perfectly internally-consistent and grammatical dialect)--known as metathesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters #S-cluster_metathesis). In fact, this form has roots in Old English, and Chaucer was known to have used "axe" (http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/archives/2008/03/ask-vs-aks-ax.html) in his writings. History is not destiny in language, of course, but I think it's nice to have a little more context and nuance here.

In a similar vein, I'd like to problematize the notion of "correct" vs "incorrect" words and phrases. There is no single arbitrative body which rules on the rules of the English language. English has many faces and flavors. There are some ways of speaking and writing which, by mostly-collective agreement among groups of native speakers, are taken to be "standard". But English is spoken by such a wide variety of people in varied locations that there are multiple accepted ways to express oneself fluently. And language changes, regardless of the so-called rules and admonitions handed down by prescriptivists (http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?cat=5)--many of these rules having been made up by their peevish promulgators and, sometimes, flouted willy-nilly by the same stinky sticklers. And "incorrect"/informal words (or collocations) like ain't are routinely used by fluent speakers to create a specific effect (http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=792). (Of course, when such nonstandard formations are spotted in the speech or writing of people not granted high status and societal prestige, they're unfortunately often used to point out how inept or ignorant the speaker supposedly is.)

Y'know what I mean?

Not that I'm some sort of descriptivist saint without language peeves of my own (and it's worth noting that linguistic descriptivism is not equivalent to the position that everything is right and nothing is wrong!), but I try not to get worked up over an "illogical" turn of phrase (I prefer to save my annoyance for silly complaining itself--very meta). And, yes, I think I have made this sort of post half a dozen times before. And, finally, I hate the use of "rape" to mean "totally defeat" for its squicky trivializing (even celebratory?) not-so-undertones.

Vanzazikon
Jan 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
"It is what it is"

.Only cheap wannabe philosophers use that phrase.

MetaZedlen
Jan 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
(I prefer to save my annoyance for silly complaining itself--very meta)

You rang?

Tetsaru
Jan 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
An answer my mom always said that bugged the crap out of me:

"We'll see what happens." :disapprove:

Z-735
Jan 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
"Maybe."
Why do my parents ALWAYS say this? DX

Kirukia
Jan 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
"I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so."
No, you obviously love being right or else you wouldn't have said it.

Alamar
Jan 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
"what's the Bottom line"
" It is a game changer"
"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel"

AlexCraig
Jan 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
"It isn't you, it's me."
Ahuh, sure.

"I think we need to see other people."
Oh yeah? And who have you been seeing behind my back that makes you want to say this?

"It's just you"
Used in response to "Is it just me, or is ....?" Usually said with a snotty or sarcastic tone.

Tizerak
Jan 25, 2010, 06:49 PM
"It isn't you, it's me."

Oh god if that one isn't the worst lie EVER.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 10:19 PM
I would, however, like to point out that substituting "aksed" for "asked" is not a manner of grammar (in English); it's a phonological feature--now most commonly (in the US) associated with African American Vernacular English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English) (which, before you start, is a perfectly internally-consistent and grammatical dialect)--known as metathesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters #S-cluster_metathesis). In fact, this form has roots in Old English, and Chaucer was known to have used "axe" (http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/archives/2008/03/ask-vs-aks-ax.html) in his writings. History is not destiny in language, of course, but I think it's nice to have a little more context and nuance here.

By Century 3000, fiction, we're all going to ascribe to aksing questions to eachother anyway.

And us Earthicans will pass the green dude on the street, and know these are our people, to "What up?"

Green dude replies: "Word."

Progression.

imdb quote page, possibly, of Futurama, writers -been a while in a fast paced media of production- so probably uncredited.

Now, I ain't gonna haul out the ol' "could(n't) care less" Language Log link-wagon, 'cause I'm pretty sure no one read it in the past either.
Apparently in these print runs - Its about you and your quotes you hear, no sources like that SlyFoxNetWorks w/ the news, "...some people say this and it really grinds my gears... they aren't Americans"

And why they're wrong. But there haven't been too many angsty jabs at authority figures yet.

Its also about blowing things out of proportion and the Batman villain "The Penguin" apparently as well, instead of learning to debate as adults and come to a consensus, "agree to disagree." <- Let's see who hates that one.

[spoiler-box]
V-ism modes by people who know what they're doing get on my nerves.

Alpha 3 was basically a V-ism tier, on down. Maybe Guy A-ism, Dhalsim earlier, but dominated by your AKUMAHAX, Sakura, and Ryu.

Capcom vs SNK 2. Sakura again, with a changed/revised V-ism, still strong. Shoryuken that does a bunch of block damage, being cancelled into eachother, for 20 seconds non stop it seems like, then at the very end, tacking on a Super Combo to finish it too?

Son of a bitch. What can you even do there?
Evasion roll from block, maybe, Counter Attack from block, probably won't work/priority - too slow to come out and active frames start from short period of passthru-invulnerable frames. Sit there and take it, most likely.

SF3:3s Genei Jin custom combo, just like V-ism also takes a bit more skill, but when they have their meter up and launched you, there's nothing you can do. Pleases the crowd for interaction on hit with the "Ayy!" though.
[/spoiler-box]

Gibdozer
Jan 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
1. "When you're out in the "real world"."

Drives me up the wall, an arrogant statement that rolls off moronic tongues.

"No we basically mean the "tough world"." Whatever that means.

a phrase or things people say that get on your nerves?

Well I don't see this so much as arrogance, but more a word of caution that generally comes from people who do have your best interests at heart.

I don't see the "real world" so much a measure of the pain or difficulties you must endure, but as a level of realization you attain.

Living in the real world coincides in many ways with self-reliance/acceptance. At certain points in life you have to wake up to some pretty brutal truths to succeed.

I'm more or less alone with my problems, at this point no one can really help solve them for me.

I'm probably not going to do anything spectacular with my life, when this hits you it's like a little kid first realizing he won't become a super hero.

I'm getting old and fat and everyday from now on I'm just going to wake up older and fatter.

Just to name a few, It's not as depressing as all that though, facing these realities can actually be very liberating and empowering.

Anyway the one I hate is, "that's the way things have always been, that's the way they will always be" I hate this whole modality of conformist thinking

Kirukia
Jan 27, 2010, 04:52 AM
I hate this whole modality of conformist thinking

Yeah well, that's the way things have always been, that's the way they will always be.

;D

Vanzazikon
Jan 27, 2010, 02:59 PM
Watch out, he may get butthurt again.

Tsukimori
Jan 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
I can't stand when people say :

''Do you have a problem?''

I hate that!

Chuck_Norris
Jan 27, 2010, 05:33 PM
Not sure if it completely applies, but I've heard several people pronounce Reese's cups, and such like it, as "Ree-Seas". Ree-seas? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Volcompat321
Jan 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
How is it pronounced, Chuck?
Like the name Reese? :o
Or "Reese-is"? (Reese's)

I've heard commercials pronounce it "ree-sea".

Outrider
Jan 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
Not sure if it completely applies, but I've heard several people pronounce Reese's cups, and such like it, as "Ree-Seas". Ree-seas? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I've heard that taken one step further so that Reese's Pieces becomes "Ree-sees piece-ees."

Z-735
Jan 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
I pronounce it "Reese-is"

Volcompat321
Jan 27, 2010, 05:41 PM
I pronounce it "Reese-is"

I just don't say it.
Lol.

Well, I don't eat any type of Reese's stuff, so I wouldn't normally have to say it.
Now if I say it, I'll feel awkward, like I'm saying it wrong or something.

astuarlen
Jan 27, 2010, 06:32 PM
Well, whichever way you say it, Reese's are certainly better than Rhesus cups; monkeys do not belong in candy, people!

I believe I use the ree-seez and ree-siz pronunciations in free variation, but when paired with "Pieces" my "Reese's" tends towards the latter (iz not eez) for Rhyming Excellence.

Kirukia
Jan 27, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've heard that taken one step further so that Reese's Pieces becomes "Ree-sees piece-ees."

Haha yeah. Like really you wouldn't say "I'm missing two piece-ees of the puzzle." Well I guess you could, but if you did you'd probably get hit in the mouth.

Volcompat321
Jan 27, 2010, 07:55 PM
Kinda rhymes with feces.
Ree-see's Fee-cees!

Vanzazikon
Jan 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
You would eat that.

I pronounce it Rees - us, like recess. Got a problem with that?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 28, 2010, 02:09 AM
You would eat that.

I pronounce it Rees - us, like recess. Got a problem with that?
Maybe, if it becomes:

Kids going to REE C ESS to eat REE SEES PEE CEES.

What in the Sees candy?!

Axispoint
Jan 28, 2010, 11:56 PM

I don't believe in fate, so that phrase is completely lost on me (in other words, I don't like it when people say that around me, because I think it's horse dung). I think some people would just rather live in a world where they think their destiny is not in their hands, that everything is preplanned; I think that world would suck personally.

Now that I have that out the way, the one thing this topic made me think of:

When people end everything with "just sayin'". I don't understand why that annoys me so much, but it does. I have never liked it and hate seeing it. I've seen a few people on Gamefaqs (that probably says it all right there) who use it every single time they post. What, you're too lazy to actually think up a post on your own, so you keep using those two words so you have to think less? Jeez >_>

Chuck_Norris
Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 AM

My god, how did a post like that make so many responses pop up?

Alnet
Jan 29, 2010, 04:00 AM
"Because I said so."
"Who do you think you're talking to?"
"I'm not your mother, I'll beat your ass."
"I'm not your father, I'll beat your ass."

Just some favorites from my childhood.

Volcompat321
Jan 29, 2010, 04:49 AM

Because it's almost awkward to hear how others pronounce things.
Like the "How do you pronounce foie" thread.
It's kinda awkward to find out you might have been saying a word wrong this whole time.
Or to hear people pronounce things differently, depending on which culture you are from.

Kirukia
Jan 29, 2010, 04:59 AM
"Because I said so."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Outrider
Jan 29, 2010, 11:12 AM

Because we care about our Reese's, damnit.

Alnet
Jan 29, 2010, 01:57 PM
People will always have an opinion on the topic of food. We all have it in common~!

Powder Keg
Jan 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
The isms get on my nerves in the street fighter games. Why did everything have to be separated?

ShinMaruku
Jan 29, 2010, 05:08 PM
When people misuse English I use it to mock them.
"It's mad cold in here"
Cold can be angry? Who knew?
"Fuck off"
Is off your sister? Is she hot?
"Fuck you"
No thanks you are very ugly.

Volcompat321
Jan 29, 2010, 05:22 PM
Yea, those kinda get on my nerves too, since you know, your not saying the literal meaning of those words.
It's slang, and people try to be smart asses about it.

ShinMaruku
Jan 29, 2010, 05:32 PM
My cousins love saying those terms so I like antagonizing them.
But as a result they have so many ways of insulting others it's epic.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
The isms get on my nerves in the street fighter games. Why did everything have to be separated?
Separate and unequal.

Another thing that sucks with Sakura CvS 2, got corner trapped, did the Flash Kick charge down and up kick move with Kim, flew right over her - hitting nothing while she's over there continuing to press all kinds of offense.

Son of a bitch, Capcom. Making your hitbox ridiculous and SNK chars in that game weaksauce. A regular boring Ken Ryu SRK would've hit definitely. Red box starting from the ground with no blue box.

Oh but this guy was using C-ism/groove, and she's strong in that too.

Sinue_v2
Jan 30, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't believe in fate, so that phrase is completely lost on me (in other words, I don't like it when people say that around me, because I think it's horse dung). I think some people would just rather live in a world where they think their destiny is not in their hands, that everything is preplanned; I think that world would suck personally.

Personally, I think the evidence is pretty well stacked in favor of free will being an illusion. I don't believe in magic, and have yet to see evidence of causality being breached. Everything that happens is the predictable result of preceding events which define the reason for happening. Even your own thoughts are constructed from unconscious processes of the brain (sometimes long) before you become consciously aware of them. The events at the end of the universe were ultimately predetermined at the beginning of the universe.

Free will is a useful illusion to evolve though, because it gives organisms which possess it an advantage over those which only react to environmental stimuli. Sensory organs and memory allow an organism that can only ever react to environmental stimuli the ability to make "guesses" based on that observation and memory. It's not really free will, but then, the brain is as much a patch-work "just good enough" hobble-together for the goal of survival till reproduction as it is an elegant and sophisticated marvel capable of out-computing all of the supercomputers in the world combined on less than 30 watts of electricity. :)

If you had absolute causal knowledge of the universe (Laplace's demon), you would be omnipotent and 100% correct in all your statements and never make a mistake. But such a mind capable of absolute causal knowledge would be far too complicated to have evolved under the stress of competition for resources - and it would require more energy to account for every subatomic particle in the universe - than exists in the universe. And that's just accounting for a single moment of time, not counting the billions of years preceding that created the moment of now, or the proceeding time until the event you want to predict.

The universe is actually very, very, simple. It's the unimaginable amount of interactions at any time, and leading up to that time, which make it so complex. The same quarks which create the atoms of a flower are the same Up & Down quarks which create you, and we are both comprised of essentially a tapestry of frozen energy states flowing towards a homogeneous distribution via entropy.

I think that's a beautiful and profound thing, not demeaning or boring.

Oh, and to stay on topic: I guess I don't really like the word "Y'all". "T'aint" can be cute and endearing in rare circumstances, but it usually just reminds me of a morbidly obese redneck chick with a slight moustache and a unicrack and... well... look it up on Urban Dictionary if you can't see where this is going.

I have no doubt a "Y'aller" can be highly intelligent, far more-so than me and most other average joes, but it still makes you sound so horribly, horribly ignorant.

Katrina
Feb 4, 2010, 08:37 AM
"nuff said"

"/thread"

Usually preceded by unintelligible ramblings of net-speak, a one or two word sentence entirely unrelated to the topic or thread, and one or more of the terms: "nubs, pwned, xbots, ur mom, epic, gay, ololx, moron, fanboy, fuk, stoopid, die, dumb, Sephiroth".

Tetsaru
Feb 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
I'm from the South, so I tend to say "y'all" and "ain't" every once in a while. I never use it in writing, of course.

Similar to what Katrina posted: In forums, I kinda get irked when I see a subscribed thread with one new post (or worse yet, a necro bump) with some noob just saying "nice pics" or something along that line. If it's your own thread asking about something, I expect to see "thank you" posts near the end, but overused, one or two word responses or abbreviations that don't contribute anything to the thread are often a waste of time to look at. =x

xBULLYDOGG
Feb 4, 2010, 06:14 PM
People who think that "fuck you" actually means "I'll fuck you". Someone explain that to me b4 i strt tlkin liek this what really gets on my nerves. People who spell you like yuh, no like naaaa and basically anyone who spells and word with a uh at the end intentionally when it's not the correct way of spelling said word.
"Cheer up"
"Smile"
"Turn that frown up..." FUCK OFF (And shinmaruku Off is not my sister, but my father)

"nubs, pwned, xbots, ur mom, epic, gay, ololx, moron, fanboy, fuk, stoopid, die, dumb, Sephiroth".

All this too, apart from stoooooooooopid. Bully loves stooooooopid.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 4, 2010, 07:10 PM
Any words that use numbers to replace letters. It's bearable if there's a bit of wit behind it, but it's not okay when it looks like you've replaced every vowel on the keyboard with a number, and then tried to type.

Personally, I think the evidence is pretty well stacked in favor of free will being an illusion. [spoiler-box]I don't believe in magic, and have yet to see evidence of causality being breached. Everything that happens is the predictable result of preceding events which define the reason for happening. Even your own thoughts are constructed from unconscious processes of the brain (sometimes long) before you become consciously aware of them. The events at the end of the universe were ultimately predetermined at the beginning of the universe.

Free will is a useful illusion to evolve though, because it gives organisms which possess it an advantage over those which only react to environmental stimuli. Sensory organs and memory allow an organism that can only ever react to environmental stimuli the ability to make "guesses" based on that observation and memory. It's not really free will, but then, the brain is as much a patch-work "just good enough" hobble-together for the goal of survival till reproduction as it is an elegant and sophisticated marvel capable of out-computing all of the supercomputers in the world combined on less than 30 watts of electricity. :)

If you had absolute causal knowledge of the universe (Laplace's demon), you would be omnipotent and 100% correct in all your statements and never make a mistake. But such a mind capable of absolute causal knowledge would be far too complicated to have evolved under the stress of competition for resources - and it would require more energy to account for every subatomic particle in the universe - than exists in the universe. And that's just accounting for a single moment of time, not counting the billions of years preceding that created the moment of now, or the proceeding time until the event you want to predict.

The universe is actually very, very, simple. It's the unimaginable amount of interactions at any time, and leading up to that time, which make it so complex. The same quarks which create the atoms of a flower are the same Up & Down quarks which create you, and we are both comprised of essentially a tapestry of frozen energy states flowing towards a homogeneous distribution via entropy.
[/spoiler-box]
I think that's a beautiful and profound thing, not demeaning or boring.

I'm not sure what I think of this (best saved for another thread), but I think Axispoint's point (lol) was that he doesn't like it when people resign themselves to an outcome and give up on whatever it was they were trying to accomplish and/or change.

Ultimately, it shouldn't matter if fate controls what happens in your life. That kind of resignation in the face of defeat, failure, or denial shouldn't be part of a person's rationale, simply because it's self-limiting.

I might have just stepped into a bear trap, but I've got my multi-tool and bandages in my pocket.

Tetsaru
Feb 9, 2010, 12:04 PM
Another thing I hate people say:

"Take this, and put it over there with that stuff."

WOW, best instructions ever. What is "this," where is "there," and what's "that stuff?" Use more proper nouns please - I can't read your mind.

"Turn this knob to the left."

Ok, I know a lot of people say this, but ROTATIONAL motion doesn't go left or right - it goes CLOCKWISE or COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. LINEAR motion goes left or right.

BIG OLAF
Feb 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
ROTATIONAL motion doesn't go left or right - it goes CLOCKWISE or COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. LINEAR motion goes left or right.

NNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD RAGE!

...Sorry, I thought it fit. Not meant to be offensive. :wacko:

Anyway, I realized today that I hate when people make up words and throw them into their sentences, and just assume you know what they mean. My boss used a few today and I was completely lost. I'm not even sure how to spell the words, so I can't even post them without looking stupid.

Kirukia
Feb 9, 2010, 10:05 PM
"It's the inside that counts." or pretty much anything to do with being shallow because you find someone unattractive. I really hate when people say stuff like that. I understand you can't act like you're entitled to the hottest guy/girl around, but you also can't be expected to settle for an uggo just because they are nice. Thats what makes a good friendship, not relationship. It's called having standards.

darkante
Feb 10, 2010, 08:16 AM
I also dislike that "inside" line. Sounds like one would settle for anything.
But i can see the point behind it.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 10, 2010, 09:17 AM
"If I were you..."
You're not.

MetaZedlen
Feb 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
"If I were you..."
You're not.

"if you were me..."

ha ha, sucks to be you :P

Vanzazikon
Feb 10, 2010, 07:12 PM
"if you were me..."

ha ha, sucks to be you :P
No kidding.

MetaZedlen
Feb 12, 2010, 11:07 PM
No kidding.

:disapprove:

SStrikerR
Feb 13, 2010, 01:11 AM
:disapprove:

:wacko:

Vanzazikon
Feb 13, 2010, 04:57 AM
:disapprove:I coulda sworn you set yourself up for that one...

unicorn
Feb 18, 2010, 12:55 AM
"What comes around, goes around"

Not always hun. Some people have off easy, look at most celebrities/people in power/people with money.

Chukie sue
Feb 20, 2010, 02:12 PM
Does using the word "ironic" incorrectly count?

"Well that was ironic!"

When they should have said something like "Wow, what a coincidence!"

Chukie sue
Feb 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
So I'm walkin down the street, "right?"

People usually slip this in while they're telling you of some past experience. Obviously, it annoys me quite a bit :l

Kirukia
Feb 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
Does using the word "ironic" incorrectly count?

"Well that was ironic!"

When they should have said something like "Wow, what a coincidence!"

Not really. That could be considered situational irony.
If someone says they could really use $5, and then finds $5 on the ground, it's contrary to the result they expected. I'm sure when they said that, they didn't actually expect to find $5. Though some people argue if situational irony even falls under irony, so I guess it depends on your point of view of the word.

But yeah I think it's funny when people say "right?"
Uh I don't know is it? I wasn't even there.

Chukie sue
Feb 20, 2010, 03:36 PM

If I may triple post...

Actually, thats the point. The phrase "my 2 cents" was taken from the original british idiom "my tuppence worth" or "my 2 pennies worth"

By deprecating the opinion to follow — suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount — the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility.

It's for that reason that I actually like the phrase. :)

Chukie sue
Feb 20, 2010, 03:37 PM
Not really. That could be considered situational irony.
If someone says they could really use $5, and then finds $5 on the ground, it's contrary to the result they expected. I'm sure when they said that, they didn't actually expect to find $5. Though some people argue if situational irony even falls under irony, so I guess it depends on your point of view of the word.

But yeah I think it's funny when people say "right?"
Uh I don't know is it? I wasn't even there.

I understand what you mean. I suppose I should've gotten an example.

Alnet
Feb 20, 2010, 04:49 PM
One of my brother's friends has no concept of prepositions. Normally, I'm not one to correct other people's speaking habits, but when you say "inside" every time you mean "in" or "within" or you say "outside" every time you mean "out", and so on, you really start to grate on my friggin' nerves.

Volcompat321
Feb 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
I hate the term African-American.

If you're not from Africa, you're not African-American.
You're an American, dammit.

Before people think that's racist, DON'T!
It's not at all.

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
Kid .

xBladeM6x
Apr 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
"Get a life"
"You don't know what it's like in the REAL world"
"To each is own"

SweetHina
Apr 25, 2010, 07:34 PM
I work at a grocery store, so while I'm stocking I'll get something like "young miss" or "you girl"

Or when I'm on cashiering I would get something like "(wow) you're fast"

BIG OLAF
Apr 25, 2010, 09:01 PM
"Get a life"

This one is probably my most hated phrase on the planet, for the simple fact that it doesn't mean anything. Every person that has ever said that to me (a lot of people on PSU and in my day-to-day life, as well), I've simply had to ask:

"What the hell does that even mean?" (not surprisingly, I've never gotten an intelligent answer)

A job? I have one, thanks. Friends? I have those, too. It makes no sense.

SweetHina
Apr 25, 2010, 09:20 PM
This one is probably my most hated phrase on the planet, for the simple fact that it doesn't mean anything. Every person that has ever said that to me (a lot of people on PSU and in my day-to-day life, as well), I've simply had to ask:

"What the hell does that even mean?" (not surprisingly, I've never gotten an intelligent answer)

A job? I have one, thanks. Friends? I have those, too. It makes no sense.

they're just jealous that we don't have a complete miserable life like they do.

BIG OLAF
Apr 25, 2010, 10:11 PM
they're just jealous that we don't have a complete miserable life like they do.

Possibly. I mean, my life isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows, but I won't go around telling other people that they have no life. Though, I believe there is some truth to your statement: when someone says "get a life", it's usually entailing that they are, in some way or another, jealous of the person they are saying it to.

Example: One of my friends once said that a guy I knew needed to "get a life" due to the simple fact that the guy in question was extremely skilled at word unscrambling puzzles.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
I hate the term African-American.

If you're not from Africa, you're not African-American.
You're an American, dammit.

Before people think that's racist, DON'T!
It's not at all.
Every American came from Africa though. Unless you want to call it Pangaea/Eurasia.

you're African too Pat...

so is this... "brother!!"

[spoiler-box]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/TigerBadshah/hulk_hogan_wwe.jpg[/spoiler-box]

(Plight of true Africans and how America do not care, see Hotel Rwanda and bastard Joaquin Phoenix's lines)

Ketchup345
Apr 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
I hate when people use "j/k" for "just kidding".

I also am annoyed when words that used to be nerd/geek only (fail, uber, and epic being 3) get accepted into mainstream usage.

Mysterious-G
Apr 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
People starting a talk with
"Hey, did you see on Facebook...."

Yes, I consider that a phrase already.

Delete
Apr 30, 2010, 08:49 PM
"I know that's right"

OMG, that shit pisses me off.