PDA

View Full Version : So I want a blog for my novel, but...

Mysterious-G
Jan 22, 2010, 01:00 PM
...I have doubts about the outcome.

As my novel is still in the writing process, I am not sure if I should release chapters online or not.
What if I end up seeing my own ideas in some other novel before I even got to release mine?
It is a little bit fo a pranoia, but after putting so much work into it, I can't help that.

Another thing, would a publisher even still want a novel that has partly been released on the net?

These two things hinder me so far, but on the other side I could develop a small fanbase, which might give me a boost instead.
What do you guys think?

Boxblaster
Jan 22, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have this same problem myself, actually. I want a larger fanbase (or a fanbase to begin with, actually), but like you, am worried, not as much with the plagiarism, but with the concept of it being "free" making it feel almost like I couldn't have a chance to publish anything later.

Anduril
Jan 22, 2010, 01:34 PM
I think it would be best to release notes about what your writing, or even just small teaser portions of the novel rather than full chapters. That way you do get hype, but at the same time you are not "giving away" the novel. As for the publisher thing, I'm pretty sure that they will still publish it even if you were to release it on the web in parts, as some writers have written their novels in serial form then submitted it for publishing in the form of a single volume. Hell, that's how most books full of short stories are published.

Also regarding plagiarism, as long as you have proof that said ideas or situations as depicted in your novel were created by you first, you can sue the person who takes them for their own. Just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it is fair game for people to take.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2010, 01:44 PM
I actually overheard a coworker (who is writing a novel) discussing how sometimes releasing a novel online can hinder one's chance to release it through a traditional publisher, but I have no idea if this was simply a personal anecdote or simply a rumor she read online somewhere.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 22, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'd say go for it, release it online. Not to be discouraging, but it's very difficult to get a novel published, particularly for someone who's never had one published before, and I don't think it's worth losing sleep over how online serialization will or won't affect your chances of seeing a paperback copy... which are going to be slim to none no matter what you do.

Live in the moment!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'd say go for it, release it online. Not to be discouraging, but it's very difficult to get a novel published, particularly for someone who's never had one published before, and I don't think it's worth losing sleep over how online serialization will or won't affect your chances of seeing a paperback copy... which are going to be slim to none no matter what you do.

Live in the moment!
Right. And online is where you can always fall back on publishing/submitting works, to specific groups you wanted as readers if you never get there your original way.

Example, someone offering the full book on their site after you join up/submit an email/make an account. Whether or not their work was published elsewhere, and can be bought. You gain members/community to then use for feedback and have an audience that follows along on your next work.

Legendwolf
Jan 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thats why mine is not going to be online

SpikeOtacon
Jan 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
You could always go for a less static route, and develop a blog that fleshes out ideas and moments from your novel that may have to be trimmed/removed for the sake of pacing. Similar to many Alternate Reality web sites that are set up for marketing games and movies, only applied to your novel. And since you're the heart and soul of the writing, you have the control over it. I don't think a publisher would give you a hard time if you've done something like that as opposed to releasing the full-blown thing online.

However, Coffee gives the argument the other 50% of me feels would be the best way to approach the situation.

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 01:51 AM
Yeah, despite what I mentioned, I'd probably have to side with Coffee on this.

Besides - no author is planning on writing only one book, right? Maybe your online self-published work will get the eye of a traditional publisher for your second work.