PDA

View Full Version : arghh curse the ds.

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
i dont quite understand, i love ds and all the games for it.... but they break so dang easy. Ive went through 3 ds lite this year from just maybe accidently droping it and something busting inside or L R triggers stop working. I bought Dsi like 3 weeks ago and the Right trigger's already starting to go bad. are ds made to break so you buy another or something?

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Maybe your not caring for them enough. I had the 1st generation of DS till last year. Tragically I broke the internal screen... Anyway, I bought a DSi cause it had just come out, and so far not a single thing has happened to it

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
i only broke 1 ds by droping it and busting a screen or something, but the other 2 the triggers went bad. and now my dsi trigger is going bad its starting to piss me off. i dont do anything to it at all that would hurt it. i play it and when i get done i sit it on my desk till i feel like playing later.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
Oh lol. Maybe you get too excited and press the triggers too hard? lol

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
ehhh, i dont think i could break them by pushing them to hard lol. i dont really get excited and start squeeling and slapping my trigger when i do something amazing on a game lol.

Cruciarius
Jan 23, 2010, 09:22 PM
I've had my DS lite for more than a year now. No problems with mine at all.

Nintendo is known for their high quality systems. The DS series is the first I've heard anyone having problems with and the problem is always the same, the L and/or R buttons.

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 09:27 PM
well maybe i mess them up when i play metroid or something because i repeditivly press the triggers to shoot. But im going to wal-mart now to return my dsi for a new one.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
Lol. I thought I was gonna break my DS while playing Metroid XD So much trigger mashing

rickfrior
Jan 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
Huh, try blowing to where the buttons that don't activate are, usually it's just dust gathering there.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jan 23, 2010, 09:35 PM
Still have the orignal DS. First batch too, with a single dead pixel.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
Rofl! Mine had the single dead pixel too

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jan 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Mines on the bottom screen.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:40 PM
Mine was on the top left corner of the top screen

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jan 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
*Reversers dead pixel*

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
Lol. It didn't bother me at all

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jan 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
Dosn't seem to be in the way for any of my games. Though for Gba mode I use the top screen. =^.^=

rickfrior
Jan 23, 2010, 09:44 PM
Dosn't seem to be in the way for any of my games. Though for Gba mode I use the top screen. =^.^=

LOL, how convenient! :p

Cruciarius
Jan 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think you can buy replacement screens for the DS.

Haven't heard anything about replacement L and R buttons, but with so many reported issues, I'd think Nintendo would sell/offer a repair kit of some kind.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jan 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
Yup yup =^.^=

Edit: I do have the tri screwdriver.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
If it still has warranty you can send it to california and if its not fixable they send you a brand new one

rickfrior
I think you can buy replacement screens for the DS.

Haven't heard anything about replacement L and R buttons, but with so many reported issues, I'd think Nintendo would sell/offer a repair kit of some kind.

Oh, really?
Well, but I got no screen problem! ^^;

pinkace
In spite of what Elly might have you thinking by now, it is not your fault d3str0y0rz. this is a common issue. Nintendo hardware is not what it was the previous generation. The GBA was the toughest thing on earth, I saw torture tests on video that were really crazy.

but nintendo started cutting corners on all their hardware starting with the GBA SP.

I recommend trading it in for another system and getting a $20 warranty from Gamestop. that way you can exchange it for another if anything goes wrong (you dont need a receipt, they scan the UPC) and when you get your new system, simply pay another $20 to cover that one. I think it's worth it.

Z-735
Jan 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
if it has a couple of dead pixels its fine, but if they start spreading like a disease then its a problem. It would be like vitiligo DX

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 10:12 PM
wow im pissed, i took it to wal-mart, and all of the sudden their 30 day return turned to 15? i called them stupid and left.... ffffffsssss

d3str0y0rz
Jan 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
WOW, i just tryed the blowing the buttons method lol..... i used pressurised air canister and to my amazement..... the triggers work now.

Zeek123
Jan 23, 2010, 11:23 PM
In spite of what Elly might have you thinking by now, it is not your fault d3str0y0rz. this is a common issue. Nintendo hardware is not what it was the previous generation. The GBA was the toughest thing on earth, I saw torture tests on video that were really crazy.

but nintendo started cutting corners on all their hardware starting with the GBA SP.

I recommend trading it in for another system and getting a $20 warranty from Gamestop. that way you can exchange it for another if anything goes wrong (you dont need a receipt, they scan the UPC) and when you get your new system, simply pay another $20 to cover that one. I think it's worth it.

Agreed. My GBC and GBA refuse to kick it. Despite all the abuses over the years.

But with my GBA SP, the screen just effed all up one day for no reason.

Anyway, I had a Phat DS which lived from a few months after launch to about a year ago. (I accidentally sat on it >_<)

I have a DSlite right now. Taking care of it. If Sony and Nintendo were to both announce a new handheld this E3, I wonder which would be sturdier?

Leviathan
Jan 23, 2010, 11:51 PM

Different plastics.

Also if you go through 3 DS systems, you need to reconsider how hard you press buttons, and how you treat the DS altogether. I still have mine from when they added the electric blue number.

washuguy
Jan 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
Damn...I understand, i had terrible luck with the DS... You do buy covers/protectors for it right? This reminds me, i need to buy a DS off the street so i can play heart gold

Randomness
Jan 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
I've still got my original model, electric blue. No problems whatsoever. (There may be a dead pixel or two I haven't noticed) My brother dropped his... half-broke the hinge, and it still works perfectly despite the top half being loose.

Kion
Jan 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
My DSi has taken a lot of abuse it`s a pretty solid system. The problem with DS is not the design, it`s Nintendo`s approach to handhelds. It feels like such a waste to carry it around just for games, as the only solid gaming time you have is at home when you could be on console/pc not squinting at a tiny screen. The DS has been completely phased out by my smart phone.

AlexCraig
Jan 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have the limited edition Zelda DS. I treat the thing like a holy icon, making sure no damage is done to it, cleaning it often, making sure it is kept in a padded case, added protective screens, etc.

thunder-ray
Jan 24, 2010, 11:07 PM
The only problem I ever had with my ds is the bearings on the side of the top screen wear out on me. I just sent my DS in for repair and now its as good as new :). I dont think I ever had A problem with the trigger buttons not working at all.

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 01:57 AM
My biggest hardware problem with my DS Lite is that I want to have two games in it but the GBA game sticks out and it's ugly.

So what I'm trying to say is that I've had no problem with my DS Lite.

I gave my brother my original Mario Kart DS when I picked up the Lite and that's still working fine.

You may want to check to make sure you're not secretly super strong. If that turns out to be the case, you should stop wasting your time destroying video game systems and instead fight crime like a good super-powered person.

Anti-Phoenix
Jan 25, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have a DS Lite, when I opened it carefully, the right shoulder part broke off so my sister got me another one from Japan. I put on a protective case just incase.

Delete
Jan 25, 2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, I got my DS on day 1 and I am still using the same one. Why the hell can't I have luck like that with other systems? : /

HeartBreak301
Jan 28, 2010, 04:26 AM
I've still got a first generation blue DS. No preblems with it so far. The only thing I get a little irritated about is that somehow a little spec of dirt got between the screen cover and the screen. But its easily overlooked.

lavisblade
Jan 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
I've still got my original model, electric blue. No problems whatsoever. (There may be a dead pixel or two I haven't noticed) My brother dropped his... half-broke the hinge, and it still works perfectly despite the top half being loose.
I got my blue original DS the christmas after they came out, and it never broke, but got stolen from me last year...my brother got a silver one the same time. Mine was fine, but my little sister got pissed at him while playing his DS...she threw it and the same thing happened (the right hinge broek) but it still worked fine...so he gave it to her for her birthday XD She still has it, but she doesn't use it a whole lot...either way, it still works, and I'm sure mine would if it hadn't been stolen...T-T I got a blue DS lite as a replacement about a year ago(?)

Zeek123
Feb 5, 2010, 02:03 AM
You know, I was messing around with my DSlite, and I couldn't help but to notice that the L & R buttons feel cheaper than the fat's. They're more clicky, sure, but they also feel flimsy.

Boxblaster
Feb 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
I still have my 1st ds, original launch day, dead pixel included. I also have another original DS, but the battery is shot on it (it lasts literally 5 minutes off the charger), so I need to replace that sometime. I also have my original GBA, but that is really gone at this point (Not sure if it still works),but I noticed with my GBA,I had to order about 3 extra battery covers, since mine would always snap off from being so flimsy. My Gameboy Color works just great still.

Volcompat321
Feb 25, 2010, 07:17 AM
.......Almost a month without a reply. :o

Anyway, if we're going to get back on the subject-

I bought the original DS the day they came out. $212 bucks from Best Buy.
Sold it less than 3 months later, because I couldn't find a game I liked, other than Super Mario 64 DS.

I bought a DS Lite, black one about 2 months or so after they came out.
Sold it because again, couldn't find a game I liked. Including the Pokemon and Zelda game(s).

The beginning of this year, I bought a DSi from someone on the corner. (No lie).
$50 brand new, in the box sealed and all. (I'm sure it was stolen, but hey, it was cheap as hell and I'm poor!)

So far, my thoughts are keeping it.
I haven't had any problem at all with it, other than the stylus is kind of loose, but I use one from one of my old phones anyway. (A lot more comfortable).

The DSi is great so far. I love the homebrew (which I didn't know about it until I got the DSi), like Colors! which has gotten me into making some art!

I don't care for the two cameras, or the missing GBA slot, so no big deal there.
I have a Micro GBA anyway. Gamestop, $15 bucks. :p

NegaTsukasa
Apr 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Despite the numerous of forums I've been on in the years that have multiples of Ds users complaining about a faulty or undurable DS, Most new Ds's I've seen personally are fine and sturdy. But not as sturdy as its past models. hmmm I wonder why? When it's in the hands of a well
caring consumer it MIGHT not break upon accidental dropping etc. But that's not to say it's doesn't have problems lurking around the corner.

I noticed since the first DS how flimsier they have gotten. the first DS is a tank compared to the newer ones. seems visual quality and new system apps is more favorable than durability. < (which is not a bad thing. they just need to balance durability out more.)
and the same can be said for any handheld device nowadays.

I sometimes think its all one big marketing strategy to make more money. It's like they know it's flimsy enough to break on a single accidental drop or two. Then you get pissed off and end up buying a complete new one to cure your dismay while they boost their profits.
basically you get your A and B buttons back for a rip off price, they make more money, and then a month later your device is fixed by corporate and on the shelve again at another store for full price.

though that is just one of many outlooks on the subject of digital handheld product.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 12, 2010, 05:34 PM
i dont quite understand, i love ds and all the games for it.... but they break so dang easy. Ive went through 3 ds lite this year from just maybe accidently droping it and something busting inside or L R triggers stop working. I bought Dsi like 3 weeks ago and the Right trigger's already starting to go bad. are ds made to break so you buy another or something?

my first gen ds still works(the big silver one), in fact my friend is using it now cuz i got DSi

altho my right trigger on DSi isnt great either altho for the most part it works fine its just occasionall it dies for a sec or 2