PDA

View Full Version : Trap dilemma?

arkane
Jan 24, 2010, 02:57 PM
My favorite character is my RAcaseal, and I've been using her in Free Play quite a bit. Now, back when I was playing PSO, it was customary and expected for CASTs to get rid of traps before people ran under them.

When I started playing Free Play in PSZ, I started trying to do the same thing, but my efforts tended to cause my teammates to get frozen/burnt/dead because they ran under the trap as it I detonated it. Not a good thing. :(

I'm wondering if if I should just stop trying to do that. I can't tell people what I'm trying to do because of Word Select limitations. Traps don't lock on to people the way they did in PSO, so just rolling would probably be more effective? Or, if there's a way to telegraph what I'm trying to do like how forces wait at the entrance to the next room for casting shifta and deband?

Kirukia
Jan 24, 2010, 03:05 PM
Traps detonate too fast and have too large of a range for CASTs to effectively remove them really. I'd just ignore it. Think of it as a personal advantage. They could always use a trap vision it's not like they are hard to find.

FoMarlBorough
Jan 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
during freeplay: who cares?

playing with friends: make a shortcut chat or tell them ahead of time you will clear traps if they give you a chance. its also my theory that not all traps are there to hurt players but some are there to hurt the hostiles if you are savvy. it seems more apparent in the tower. hostiles spawn newt to the exploding boxes/ ice traps. you usually have a second or two to SHOOT them before its too late.

leviayurashyguy
Jan 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
guess someone has bad experiences with freeplay <_<

anyhoo just be aware that there are traps on the map and be ready to shoot them down if and when necessary. if you see a freeze, shoot it down before someone is too close. if they happen to get frozen, use a star/sol atomizer.

but my biggest gripe are capture traps. if you see one, just stare at it >.<
they are a real pain to evade so you can either force activate it or shoot it upon activation.

Cruciarius
Jan 25, 2010, 12:44 AM
With the capture traps, as soon as it makes the noise that it's been activated, roll. Doing so usually gets me away from it in time, to not get caught.

If you do, hopefully a teammate will be nice enough to set you free.

pso_crash
Jan 25, 2010, 01:20 AM
My favorite character is my RAcaseal, and I've been using her in Free Play quite a bit. Now, back when I was playing PSO, it was customary and expected for CASTs to get rid of traps before people ran under them.

When I started playing Free Play in PSZ, I started trying to do the same thing, but my efforts tended to cause my teammates to get frozen/burnt/dead because they ran under the trap as it I detonated it. Not a good thing. :(

I'm wondering if if I should just stop trying to do that. I can't tell people what I'm trying to do because of Word Select limitations. Traps don't lock on to people the way they did in PSO, so just rolling would probably be more effective? Or, if there's a way to telegraph what I'm trying to do like how forces wait at the entrance to the next room for casting shifta and deband?
I see this all the time on free play. I thought rangers were doing it on purpose just to grief people. On one run, the RAcast would detonate a trap when any got near it. He did it in every room. I was using my HUcast, so I avoided it. But I can imagine it must have been annoying.

Macman
Jan 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
I see this all the time on free play. I thought rangers were doing it on purpose just to grief people.It's rarely that, it's mostly because the blasted things have insane range and are still harmful when you shoot them down unlike in PSO.

Jan 25, 2010, 08:32 AM
It almost seems like it's better to not have trap vision sometimes. When you walk near a trap you can't see, it pops up, and you usually have enough time to get out of range with a roll. When you can already see them, it doesn't give you as much time to get away if you get near them, and it's usually hard to do so.

Dragwind
Jan 25, 2010, 08:52 AM
The targeting does sometimes become an issue for me when playing when others. I tend to chuckle though when trying to get rid of a trap and a buddy runs right into it.

Kirukia
Jan 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
I tend to hit fire boxes when people are near them.
I dunno it's the Kai reflex.
At least I'm a force so I can heal them afterwards xD

Kytan
Jan 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
I sometimes accidentally shoot traps when trying to shoot enemies =/

arkane
Jan 25, 2010, 05:36 PM
Traps detonate too fast and have too large of a range for CASTs to effectively remove them really. I'd just ignore it. Think of it as a personal advantage. They could always use a trap vision it's not like they are hard to find.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go. Thanks! :)