PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on wifi adapter for DS

SPooksMcgee
Jan 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
So I am at a university. ( Yay poor college kids) and the school does not give out its WEP address so I cannot log on :[. I heard you can purchase a DS Wifi adapter you plug into your computer. Anyone know how it works and if it is worth using or if anyone has suggestions so i dont have to buy it ?

Thanks!

Cruciarius
Jan 25, 2010, 01:41 PM
I've never used one, so I'm not sure it's setup.

Just wanted to let you know that Nintendo discontinued their WiFi adapter back in 2008. It might be difficult to find one in stores now.

Edit:

IGN's review: http://ds.ign.com/articles/665/665128p1.html

Seems to go over the setup process as well.

SammaeltheDark
Jan 25, 2010, 01:50 PM
I've had one for a long time because I refuse to ever set up my wi-fi network to use WEP

"At least it works" is the best I can say. I don't like the software you have to install for it. Also it uses the 192.168.0.x range and there's no way to configure it or what IPs it doles out. This'll cause a conflict if your system is already connected to a network using 192.168.0.x
(my home network is on 192.168.30.x to specifically get around the conflict)

ChrisFTW
Jan 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
Actually Datel has a WiFi adapter, but I havent gotten mine to work.
I tried to find some answers on the internet and it seems that alot of ppl hacve trouble with it, but if you are good with computers, you can probably get it to work :)

SPooksMcgee
Jan 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
Ughg ood thing i suck at computers... I think ill just wait till i go home to play online :[ oh SH how you elude me :[

pso_crash
Jan 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
I've had an official nintendo adapter for years. It works just fine most of the time. Sometimes it can get hot, but I think that my laptop may be part of the problem. The biggest problem I had for it was getting it installed. It took me about two hours to install manually on vista and it will still only work if I have it plugged in when I turn the power on to my comp. Other than that it has served me well when staying at hotel or using a password protected wifi signal(library).

Silvaya
Jan 25, 2010, 05:21 PM
i just ordered a wifi adapter. it has WIFILINK written across it. it took me about 5 hours to set up (yay for not being tech savvy), but now it works like a charm. i dunno what will happen if i turn of my laptop tho, so its been on for days, but at least i can play with my friends XD

SPooksMcgee
Jan 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
ok cool i think I will just order one. Playing with the three retards sucks...10 dmg on hard mode and 15 on SH they really are just meat shields....

rickfrior
Jan 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Haha, so you're in for the real thing now.

Gofr
Jan 25, 2010, 06:11 PM
I tried using a wifi adapter couple years ago. It was alright but, not perfect but got the job done. Then I got vista. Nintendo never made the software for vista. I read about some work arounds to get it to work in vista but I never got it going. Ultimately I just bought a router that to this day is still serving me just perfectly fine. :smile:

Cruciarius
Jan 25, 2010, 06:17 PM
The reason Nintendo didn't update the software was that the Nintendo brand WiFi adapter was discontinued back in 2008, due to legal issues (according to the wiki page, so this may not be 100% accurate). However, their are other brand WiFi adapters that do the same thing and are probably more up to date, as far as OS compatibility.

You could also look into WiFi routers instead of the adapters. May be more expensive, but also allow more bandwidth use for other things, if needed. As well as multiple computer wireless connections to your network.

EthanEde
Jan 25, 2010, 06:25 PM
i used one until I bought a router. I am tech savy so it took all of 5 minutes to set up. I get a much better connection from my router so I don't use it anymore but, it worked fine for both my Wii and the DS.

Silvaya
Jan 25, 2010, 06:27 PM
if ur at school, however, u want ur wifi adapter to be as low key as possible, because i know some schools prohibit u from making ur own wifi access point, which is pretty much what i did in order to play over wifi. so i set my broadcast to really low and hid the SSID and set up an easy to remember WEP key. i think it should be nigh undetectable...but yeah, a DS can't get a random IP address assigned through this method for some reason (i always got error 52002 when i had it get auto assigned). so what i did was, i looked up the IP address of my PC, the DNS server, the gateway and subnet mask and entered them all into my DS's wifi set up panel. then i changed the IP's last 3 digits by adding 1 to the last number. then i bridged the adapter to my land line through my computer (the program you download to let this thing works will have that option) and set up internet sharing capabilities on my land line. then i connected my DS to wifi! sometimes i get error 52101, but for now, it's been working flawlessly. and i'm using vista home premium 32 bit. i heard it doesnt work on 64 bit...and note that the program was kinda hard to find over internet. sometimes i'll try to open the program, but vista closes it immediately. when that happens, i have to reinstall the driver and set it up again. i think i'm lucky that i got it to work, and that it is still working for the time being

majorgamer55
Jan 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have the official nintendo USB adaptor and it works great! I use it mainly for PS0 online and nintendo Wii. However it'll be hard getting a new one because they are discontinued, but if you do get one make sure you get the updated version of the program from nintendo.com

SPooksMcgee
Jan 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
ooo ya a router might work. Even for college ?