PDA

View Full Version : Programs that enhance PC speed?

Brimstone
Feb 28, 2003, 02:08 PM
I was playing some online games the other day, and this guy i was playing with mentioned some program that is supposed to speed your pc up so it works faster. Anyone know any programs free/purchasable that can do this?

Subliminalgroove
Feb 28, 2003, 02:45 PM
On 2003-02-28 11:08, Brimstone wrote:
I was playing some online games the other day, and this guy i was playing with mentioned some program that is supposed to speed your pc up so it works faster. Anyone know any programs free/purchasable that can do this?

Why don't you just overclock?

Gartywood
Feb 28, 2003, 04:19 PM
most of those programs just banish other processes to speed up your pc...you can do the same thing by using crtl-alt-del and closign unwanted processes. and then there are some..like norton that claim to speed up your pc and actually do more harm than good.

you should defrag your harddrive (or reofrmat it altogether) and your system will speed up. as for actually making your computer run faster the only real solution is to overclock or upgrade. and it your running an old pentium 2 you cant overclock it becuase of how its setup. if you have a p3 athlon or p4 you can overclock it with little worry of destroying the processor as long as you keep an eye on the cpu temperature AND turn it down if the system starts acting unstable

Brimstone
Feb 28, 2003, 04:49 PM
Well, I was really looking for a program, but could i get further explanation on the overclocking?

Atari
Mar 1, 2003, 06:55 PM
my friend has some program that enhances his fps by a lot, i think its called wickedgl, and you need opengl

Abaddon
Mar 1, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah there was this really old program which solved all the problems for running games in windows in the first place

It's called DOS ^_^

jimmer_jammer
Mar 2, 2003, 10:50 AM
If you have a geforce 2 gfx card you could overclock it easily with a 5kb file I found on some site. I don't know the link right now but if you want it I can give it to you over aim. My sn is paradoxdeityvesl. It works really good. Right now the speed of my gfx card is 207/325 mhz and it is still just as stable as it was before.