PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone here speak l33t? ( did i spell that right? )

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 1, 2003, 05:34 AM
Too many l33ters online. I want to know what the hell they are saying so can someone teach me or show what the symbols mean?

Abaddon
Mar 1, 2003, 06:06 AM
What's the point of learning a method of regressing the english language? Like i said, i didn't think being ELITE meant talking like a retard http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ariana
Mar 1, 2003, 06:10 AM
When I saw the topic title, I swear I thought you were talking about this...

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=9

My brother has it on a t-shirt, even.

RavenTW
Mar 1, 2003, 09:08 AM
LOL, yeah, my friend has a book of megatokyo.

l33t speak is crap. I'll say that right now.

MasterOfPocky
Mar 1, 2003, 10:44 AM
Lol! Lol! I R l337 HAXor! Lololol! IMAO! I R 0Wnz J00!

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 1, 2003, 10:31 PM
On 2003-03-01 03:10, Ariana wrote:
When I saw the topic title, I swear I thought you were talking about this...

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=9

My brother has it on a t-shirt, even.

Yeah! That's exactly where i got it from! ^ ^
I wanted to learn cuz later on in the comic the l33t dude helps Largo out wit some advice but i cant understand what the hell he is saying!

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 1, 2003, 10:33 PM
On 2003-03-01 06:08, RavenTW wrote:
l33t speak is crap. I'll say that right now.

Thank you for your unwanted opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zell_Hogmaw on 2003-03-01 19:40 ]</font>

Ariana
Mar 1, 2003, 10:42 PM
On 2003-03-01 19:33, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:
Thank for your unwanted opinion.

Hey now. It was on topic, so I see nothing wrong with opinions being stated. You're free to disagree, but come on. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Getting back to your post now...you wanted to know what that l33t dude says later on? Well, I seem to recall there being a translation, although it's certainly not even the same wording he's using. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Let me find one though and "translate" it for you as an example...

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=345

The more literal "translation" of what the l33t dude is saying goes something like this:
"Sweet. Player 2 chick makes you waste rockets by bouncing bombs at you."
Pl4y4 = playa = player
<|-|ixor = chixor = chick
r|<3tz = rketz = rockets

Etc. Get the idea yet? Yes, it's incredibly stupid. Yes, it's fun to laugh at anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Atari
Mar 1, 2003, 10:44 PM
i always speek 1337, and if you hate 1337 its just cause your to dumb to know what the people are saying, its the talk of video games so get used to it
ill try and makea list
a-4
b-6
c-c
d-d
e-3
f-f
g-9
h-h
i-i
j-j
k-k
l-1
m-m
n-n
o-0
p-p
q-q
r-2
s-5
t-7
u-u
v-v
w-w
x-x
y-y
z-z

1337 is basically just replacing a letter with a number that looks similar, its really easy to understand, some people talk with dashes and slashes and stuff like that, that isnt 1337 thats just some other form of something that people dont know what they are doing

SorceressofTime
Mar 1, 2003, 11:09 PM
u|-| y34|-|... 1 5p34|< l337... -_-;;; 5000?

Ariana
Mar 1, 2003, 11:59 PM
On 2003-03-01 19:44, Atari wrote:
i always speek 1337, and if you hate 1337 its just cause your to dumb to know what the people are saying, its the talk of video games so get used to it
ill try and makea list

That was a nasty thing to say. On the contrary, most people I know who dislike l33tspeak are quite educated individuals. L33tspeak is a stylistic thing that its users find cool or clever. It can be very hard to read though, if only because it isn't terribly easy on the eyes. Since this is the case, you have no right to call people dumb just because they don't like it.

Not everyone uses that kind of language in video games, anyway. I find it good for amusement factor only, personally. In fact, I have a friend who always insisted on speaking in correct English using the biggest words possible when playing PSO. That's the other end of the extreme, and it did get rather unwieldy, but my point is that it's a matter of A) personal preference and B) your opinion of the written language. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for the written language, even when used in such a casual setting as video games. If you feel it's too unwieldy, complex, or time-consuming to use while shooting things in an online game, that's up to you. Personally, I don't much like it.

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 2, 2003, 02:02 AM
On 2003-03-01 20:59, Ariana wrote:

On 2003-03-01 19:44, Atari wrote:
ill try and makea list

That was a nasty thing to say. On the contrary, most people I know who dislike l33tspeak are quite educated individuals. L33tspeak is a stylistic thing that its users find cool or clever. It can be very hard to read though, if only because it isn't terribly easy on the eyes. Since this is the case, you have no right to call people dumb just because they don't like it.

Not everyone uses that kind of language in video games, anyway. I find it good for amusement factor only, personally. In fact, I have a friend who always insisted on speaking in correct English using the biggest words possible when playing PSO. That's the other end of the extreme, and it did get rather unwieldy, but my point is that it's a matter of A) personal preference and B) your opinion of the written language. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for the written language, even when used in such a casual setting as video games. If you feel it's too unwieldy, complex, or time-consuming to use while shooting things in an online game, that's up to you. Personally, I don't much like it.

Although i didnt want to post the whole the quote(im too lazy to delete some of it ^ ^;; ), i still would like to commend you, Ariana. You play the role of the peace maker and these are rare, and when i say rare i mean two or three people on this board. Through your actions you may have just persuaded me to be decent again.

Balthor
Mar 2, 2003, 02:47 AM
roffle j00 1447 haxx0rx

l337 speak is for retarted little 13 year old kids who play on the computer all day, that's all I gotta say.

::Me enters a game of StarCraft::

"imma r0x0r j00! J00! j0j0j0j0j)!"

Idiots. . .

Guntz348
Mar 2, 2003, 02:57 AM
So whats worse Leet or ebonics? I say ebonics o-O

Ariana
Mar 2, 2003, 03:10 AM
On 2003-03-01 23:02, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:

Although i didnt want to post the whole the quote(im too lazy to delete some of it ^ ^;; ), i still would like to commend you, Ariana. You play the role of the peace maker and these are rare, and when i say rare i mean two or three people on this board. Through your actions you may have just persuaded me to be decent again.

Heh. Even while the Ah King forums are down, I'm still trying to act like a moderator. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Glad no one seems to mind my diplomacy.

pixelate
Mar 2, 2003, 03:26 AM
On 2003-03-02 00:10, Ariana wrote:
Heh. Even while the Ah King forums are down, I'm still trying to act like a moderator. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Glad no one seems to mind my diplomacy.

Want my job? Pleeease? Take it! I have nowhere else to go...

LamerPanda
Mar 2, 2003, 06:18 PM
http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=347

"Chill on the missile blitz, dude. You can't beat this chick just by blowing @#$% up and hoping you get her. You're going to be owned... Player 1 sees you go straight for the rocket balls... Girlie starts bopping the bombs as she goes... boom. Ownage."

(It says "Goth chick" above her head, as a side note.)

"Bombs in this game are weak weapons, but the chick is using them to kick your @#$. Prepare for more boxer rocking!"

"Silence!"

That was for that strip, at least. Not a direct translation since I censored out words (not that anyone would be bothered by them, but eh) and might have added an article or two and the letter "g" on the ends of words. Wasn't really thinking about it.

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 2, 2003, 08:20 PM
On 2003-03-01 23:57, Guntz348 wrote:
So whats worse Leet or ebonics? I say ebonics o-O

ebonic was declared a language cuz white teachers were too stupid to understand what their black and latino (who copy black people to the letter) students were saying.

Ness
Mar 2, 2003, 08:57 PM
I think both leet and ebonics are stupid. They are both butchered versions of the English language that are hard to understand. I think people should stop talking so much leet and ebonics and just speak English.

Atari
Mar 2, 2003, 08:58 PM
On 2003-03-01 23:47, Balthor_The_Defiled wrote:
roffle j00 1447 haxx0rx

l337 speak is for retarted little 13 year old kids who play on the computer all day, that's all I gotta say.

Idiots. . .

yea ok even though 1337 is from first person shooters, good one, yes adn im 13, wrong again there im 18 and i dont play on the computer all day so stop being prejudice

ok peacekeeper girl he said "l337" is crap even though it's 1337 not l337, so i was just making a comeback so get off my back, everyne said 1337 is crap, even though its fun to say, its just like taunting people, like your momma, so all of you shut up cause you dont know what your talking about

Hunter4life
Mar 2, 2003, 09:17 PM
wow i understand nothing on this entire post except what ariana said.

Zell_Hogmaw
Mar 5, 2003, 05:37 AM
On 2003-03-02 17:57, Ness wrote:
I think both leet and ebonics are stupid. They are both butchered versions of the English language that are hard to understand. I think people should stop talking so much leet and ebonics and just speak English.

I looked some of this up and ask some of my friends and they say you are a fuckin' bastard. But what is more important is that ebonics is a dialect as well as 1337. 1337ers are speaking, or typing rather, English and so are those who speak ebonics such as myself. Telling people who "speak ebonics" to speak proper english is like trying to get New Yorkers to stop talking the way they do (trying not to be racist) or trying to get the Brits to stop talking so damn funny.

Oh yeah, Ness. Your sig says "Face the wrath of my 1337 sword skillz!!!!!11" (the 1337 is right in the sentence, try and find it and you get a special prize.)

Balthor
Mar 5, 2003, 05:48 AM
On 2003-03-02 17:58, Atari wrote:

On 2003-03-01 23:47, Balthor_The_Defiled wrote:
roffle j00 1447 haxx0rx

Idiots. . .

yea ok even though 1337 is from first person shooters, good one, yes adn im 13, wrong again there im 18 and i dont play on the computer all day so stop being prejudice

ok peacekeeper girl he said "l337" is crap even though it's 1337 not l337, so i was just making a comeback so get off my back, everyne said 1337 is crap, even though its fun to say, its just like taunting people, like your momma, so all of you shut up cause you dont know what your talking about

I could give a shit where "1337" came from, FPS, RTS, MMORPGS, it all sounds the fuckin' same. And how in holy fuck can you spell 1337 correctly? It's some stupid language used all over the net, no way in hell is there a proper way to spell it.

I find it funny you would defend such a retarted form of net talk, "OMG U ALL DDONT KNOW WHAT !##& IS SO SHUT UP!" seeing as how mostly fuckwits use it.

Continue to praise you're 1337 talk, it only amuses me more. (oooh I didn't spell 1337 right. What was it now. . . l33t? 1ee7? 1ee7?)

DB
Mar 5, 2003, 06:18 AM
No point in really even caring about it. It is just a lamer version of english. Or a toned down version, with numerical substitutes. So... w00t. O_O;