PDA

View Full Version : RA

steaIth
Feb 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
i have been hearing that rangers are really bad in this game :-(, i just want to confirm that they are a lot worse that HUs of FOs.

i am yet to get this game, and wanted to make a RAcast, but am thinking about changing that, is this a good idea

leviayurashyguy
Feb 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
i ain't gonna lie to you, Rangers aren't as godly as they were in PSO.... see no fibs there =P

anyhoo seriously, Rangers don't do as much damage as a Force or Hunter and some can even pick lesser Ranger weapons and do more damage than the Ranger with the rarest of its class

i don't want to say don't pick ranger cuz if that's what you're into, you'll enjoy playing them. They have the best gun selection and the highest accuracy of all the class who basically need more accuracy to hit things in Super Hard

even if you've never played PSZ and may wind up picking a "bad" class, just no that Ranged weapons turn Normal Mode into EZ mode and Rangers have plenty of those =D

steaIth
Feb 10, 2010, 08:55 PM
ok thanks

FoMarlBorough
Feb 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
i wouldnt say they are bad as much as they are very average. they have no special focus that lends itself to being a distinct advantage. Ata and thats about it. they can use mech guns better than others...still nerfed compared to pso.

maybe if the had better proc rates and maybe someting like lvl7 elements. who knows, they just got the short end of the stick this time around.

a positive spin would be they are more of a challenge, and could add difficulty to an otherwise easy game.

HeartBreak301
Feb 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
Don't expect anything outstanding from them, but they're still a good idea from the way PSZ is built. You don't need to tag stuff for exp and everyone gets their own loot, so it all comes down to what you want to play as, you're not at a gameplay disadvantage.

Cruciarius
Feb 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
I regret making my RAcaseal. She is lvl 54 now and uses a 7 star rifle with a 99 power/1 hit mag. She doesn't even deal 100 damage.

I did a Free Play game with her and got paired up with a lvl 50 something force. The force was dealing 200+ damage, while I did about 75 damage.

If you do make a ranger, I recommend one who can shifta themselves, for added damage.

Kirukia
Feb 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
I think IceSniper is a good ranger. You may want to ask him about it.

LUIGI999
Feb 10, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have a RAcast and I'm lovin it. I would reccomend (if u do end up playing a ranger) using 80 pow mats and a full Pow mag. i'm level 96, and in places like rioh and valley, i do in the high 200's with the charge attack. I keep a saber with me for places lik shrine and wetlands, as RAcasts have decent ATP as well as ATA.

Cruciarius
Feb 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
LUIGU, what units and gun do you use?

HeartBreak301
Feb 10, 2010, 11:03 PM
I regret making my RAcaseal. She is lvl 54 now and uses a 7 star rifle with a 99 power/1 hit mag. She doesn't even deal 100 damage.

I did a Free Play game with her and got paired up with a lvl 50 something force. The force was dealing 200+ damage, while I did about 75 damage.

If you do make a ranger, I recommend one who can shifta themselves, for added damage.

Rangers can't get shifta. But I'll be making a RA simply to have one of each class and you have nothing to lose, so why not do it?

Cruciarius
Feb 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
Oh they can't? I know hunters could in PSO. Assumed rangers could as well. Didn't know that was something they changed in PSZ.

LUIGI999
Feb 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
well I use a zero rifle mainly, but I also have a frigiand and a crimson vis in my items... I have an element boost, hp regen. lv 5, pa save lv. 3, and I had a divine power but I traded it, so in the mean time before I get another I have an ice protect equipped

rickfrior
Feb 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know of this if you do regret having a Ranger character.

First up, I read what Cruciarus said about dealing lesser than 100 damage.

The advice I will give here is that in certain areas, most hostiles seem weaker in Hunter or Ranger weapons (Force weapons being in the middle by my experience).

For example, in Rioh Snowfield, try your Ranger weapon, it should do more damage than a Hunter's.

Also in Paru, try to use a Hunter weapon, you should be able to do crazy if not good damage to those Pobommas while lesser in a Ranger's weapon.

So my biggest recommendation here for all Rangers is to grab a good Hunter weapon so that you won't take too much time killing any hostile.

Needless to say, but I chose a RAcaseal because I like the way she was designed and all. And though she can't use the Kepler Suit, what do I care? RAcaseals are cute!!
Who would regret that!?! ^^

Cruciarius
Feb 10, 2010, 11:41 PM
Would a gunblade be an effective weapon, when "hunter" weapons are recommended for an area?

rickfrior
Feb 10, 2010, 11:45 PM
Oh yes, you've made me remember another point! Thanks for reminding!

As you all know, all Gunblades are generally weak in ATP or ATA but what completes them is their Photon Arts, particularly Earth Bullet or Impact Zero which in an awesome way, is effective against ALL hostiles.

Of course, if you use the GUN alone and the BLADE alone, it's just like what I said: it's effective against only SOME hostiles.

Cruciarius
Feb 10, 2010, 11:52 PM
I feel stupid.
My RAcaseal has only used 30 power mats. Gotta max her out, then go do a run. Could have sworn I maxed her power. >.<

Ice Sniper
Feb 11, 2010, 12:18 AM
I think IceSniper is a good ranger. You may want to ask him about it.
(lol I still don't know how to quote properly)

Cool, I can't help but feel well known, thanks kirukia.

Hmmm my opinion on rangers... well they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The only things that arent so great is their lack of natural atp, the fact that although they have many weapons only one type is very good, and a lot of enemies have pretty high ranged defense. I like to think I played my cards right because sometimes not I out dps the FOs and HUs on my team.

Mech guns should be used over rifles and handguns for dps because of the fact the get 6 hits in a combo instead of 3 so they are kind of comparable to daggers and double sabers(yes I know the hits are spaced differently). Its very important to carry a good melee weapon for certain stages(I was given a celeb 3 Luzparis as a gift and its never left my inventory). This is important and I can not stress it enough. I can hit pretty well matching or beating the dps of other class in a place like Rioh with more fair defenses. In the right situation I hit about 170-210 per hit and thats far more then most rangers get from what I hear. However in a place like paru... my dps is considerably lower unless you have a good melee weapon, something like clair doubles would be ideal.

For all those who wonder my equips are

Riverman Missouri
Pizza Box (need kepler 4 slot)
[Divine Power]
[Divine Power]
[Divine Power]
[Divine Swift] (no compress Pa yet)
Blue Radam 100 power
100 power mats

Oh and as a side not im a RAmar not a RAcast, although I didn't know this at first(I did pick blindly at first but I have most of the stats down now), that it is possible for a RAmar to out dps a RAcast, this is because of zalure, it does help damage abit(yes people are thinking but RAcast have higher Atp) but since it lowers the enemies eva you can also use pretty much only heavy attacks(I basically never miss with zalure). I have tried both a Racast and a RAmar so these are based on personal experience too not just statistics.

Anyway that's my 88 cents on rangers, to sum it up
-Rangers>> better then people think
-RAmar>RAcast (IMO not haters please)
-Melee weps very important
-Zalure helps... alot

Anyway ya :-)

Cruciarius
Feb 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
I just maxed out my power mats on my RAcaseal and did a Free Play on snowfields. Though the 1 person I was paired with dropped from the game right away, I still finished the run.

Was doing ~130 damage per shot on most hostiles and ~100 damage to the big apes. That is also using a 7 star rifle. I'd switch to my crimson vis mechs, but... they lack an element and PA. ;_;

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 01:02 AM
@Ice: Lol I just remember you doing good damage on a run I did with you. I was surprised cuz most rangers suck. I might have a better luzparius you can have I have to check.
@Cruc: I'll let you know if I find any good crimsons.

HeartBreak301
Feb 11, 2010, 01:19 AM
I suppose I got lucky that I found a really nice Crimson, how good are they really? I'm going to be starting a RA soon.

rickfrior
Feb 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hehe, one of you guys guessed one of the best Hunter weapons for Rangers are!
A Luzparias because it's applicable for all classes.
The one I got is a Lv5 Celeb with 32/15/40/15/23 Force Ride.
It's basically my Clair Doubles substitute!

Also got something different only for my RAcaseal, a Grand Chariot Celeb Lv3 Spear Rider with lesser attributes 30/00/00/14/21.

I recall getting all these in my ET SH runs...

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
I suppose I got lucky that I found a really nice Crimson, how good are they really? I'm going to be starting a RA soon.

Only Twin Psychoguns are better, and those are insanely hard to find.
I actually just found some good crimsons as well.

johnwolf
Feb 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
you forget the important combo chain. PAs do more damage in a Combo chain than out of a Combo chain. when a ranger can focus on doing a Combo chain then PA when its high, you get like 300 to 400D per hit. most range weapons hit the target 5 time in a PA so thats 1500 to 2000 damage.

rhubarbot
Feb 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
Mech guns should be used over rifles and handguns for dps because of the fact the get 6 hits in a combo instead of 3 so they are kind of comparable to daggers and double sabers(yes I know the hits are spaced differently).

Mech guns are awesome and fun, especially the Riverman because of its intercontinental range. But handguns are probably the most effective weapons overall that do ranged-type damage, thanks to the Thriller Combo and Flame Hit PAs.

Spamming Thriller Combo is like using a mechgun that's got 100 or more higher attack power AND does 50% additional damage per hit AND does an area hit for its last two shots AND often procs a long-lasting stun. Flame hit is somewhat less like a boosted mechgun and is slightly less spammable (there's a bit of an animation that takes place before any damage gets done), but it gives 3 powerful wide-area hits and it sets things on fire.

Add in the fact that handguns can get Celeb 5 and they totally take the lead over mechguns in killing speed. This is, of course, unfortunate, since Rouge Pulse is available to all classes and is only moderately inferior to the best ranger-only handguns.

Its very important to carry a good melee weapon for certain stages(I was given a celeb 3 Luzparis as a gift and its never left my inventory). This is important and I can not stress it enough.

This is what hurts the ranger class more than anything else. The most popular map in SH free play seems to be Paru, followed by shrine and valley and plant. All of these maps are full of ranged-resistant enemies, so you're forced to use melee weapons as a ranger.

This isn't as bad as it seems, since only rangers and forces get access to the best saber in the game—Eclipse Star—which can have Celeb 5, and all three saber PAs are pretty good.

But unless you're fortunate enough to have that one weapon, you're basically a much weaker version of a hunter the vast majority of the time.

I can hit pretty well matching or beating the dps of other class in a place like Rioh with more fair defenses.

See above. Rangers absolutely rock in Rioh/Ruins/Ozette, doing multi-hundreds on enemies that uber-geared hunters will hit for double-digits. Even forces can't tear apart Rohjades like rangers can. It's just too bad nobody seems to like these maps.

you forget the important combo chain. PAs do more damage in a Combo chain than out of a Combo chain. when a ranger can focus on doing a Combo chain then PA when its high, you get like 300 to 400D per hit. most range weapons hit the target 5 time in a PA so thats 1500 to 2000 damage.

Yeah but just spamming PAs without worrying about building up combos makes things die so fast that you'd never have had time to build up a combo anyway. It's a shame because it takes a lot of potential strategy and depth out of this game.

FoMarlBorough
Feb 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
See above. Rangers absolutely rock in Rioh/Ruins/Ozette, doing multi-hundreds on enemies that uber-geared hunters will hit for double-digits. Even forces can't tear apart Rohjades like rangers can. It's just too bad nobody seems to like these maps.

dude, if you wanna run with an all ranger team, im down. i have a baby ramarl that i wanna use later.

Ice Sniper
Feb 11, 2010, 08:41 PM
@rhubarbot

I don't really like spamming PAs, it uses up a large chunk of PP and thriller combo and flame hit both have a short range so it kind of takes the point out of even being a ranger.

If they make a second game I really hope they fix the resistances, its kind of what hurt rangers the most.

Its not my fault nobody plays the maps rangers are good on, then again people are biased against rangers as most people think they suck outright.

HeartBreak301
Feb 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
While the ranged resistance definitely deals a heavy blow to the rangers, the thing that I think makes them so underpowered now is the lack of S/D like they had in PSO. J/Z is fine I guess, but you have to be close to cast it, kinda takes the range out of ranger.

Ice Sniper
Feb 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
S/D, J/Z?

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
shifta/deband, jellen/zalure

Ice Sniper
Feb 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
Ah k, wow I can't believe I missed that >.<

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 09:04 PM
It happens lol.

LUIGI999
Feb 11, 2010, 10:57 PM
I dont know if I'm just spacing put or somthing but i don't remember my RAcast having S/D or J/Z in PSO... it could just be that racasts can't use spells tho...

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 PM
I think he meant RAmars/marls, if you weren't just trying to be a smartass

LUIGI999
Feb 11, 2010, 11:07 PM
that's how long it's been since I played on the gcn >_<
(and no I wasn't, I apolagize if it seemed like I was trying to b one)

HeartBreak301
Feb 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, I was primarily referring to RAmars and RAmarls, but you could get S-ranks with Zalure and Jellen on them, very nice for a RAcast. Aside from PSZ RA's having their stats turned down since PSO, they've also lost many of their best weapons, such as shotguns (don't say gunblades count, they don't even compare) and more heavily damaging mechguns. It's undeniable that RAs were previously overpowered, but they toned them down too much for PSZ. Just my two cents.

Kirukia
Feb 11, 2010, 11:13 PM
that's how long it's been since I played on the gcn >_<
(and no I wasn't, I apolagize if it seemed like I was trying to b one)

Oh haha sorry.
CASTs can only cast spells in PSU, despite their name.

LUIGI999
Feb 11, 2010, 11:22 PM
ya I never even got one of the s-rank weps... I was never good at challenge....

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 12:22 PM
Need I remind everyone that RAmar/marl have more solo evasive capabilities than any other class in the game? Because of their high EVP and ability to use Jellen in comparison to HUnewm/newearl's slightly higher EVP and ability to only use Deband for evasion, lots of enemies tend to miss them more often than HUnewm/newearl on solo play. In that way, RAmar/marl's evasion makes up for their lengthy solo fights.

FoMarlBorough
Feb 12, 2010, 01:29 PM
Need I remind everyone that RAmar/marl have more solo evasive capabilities than any other class in the game? Because of their high EVP and ability to use Jellen in comparison to HUnewm/newearl's slightly higher EVP and ability to only use Deband for evasion, lots of enemies tend to miss them more often than HUnewm/newearl on solo play. In that way, RAmar/marl's evasion makes up for their lengthy solo fights.

yeah, ive noticed that as well. jell plus a good robe offers some survivability. i think ramarl has the 4th highest evp?

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
yeah, ive noticed that as well. jell plus a good robe offers some survivability. i think ramarl has the 4th highest evp?

EVP goes in this order:
1. HUnewearl
2. HUnewm
3. FOnewearl
4. RAmarl
5. FOmarl
6. FOnewm
7. RAmar & FOmar
8. HUmarl
9. HUmar
10. RAcaseal
11. RAcast
12. HUcaseal
13. HUcast

So... Yeah. Although FOnewearl has the ability to use Jellen and Deband, their defenses still seem to lack. Therefore, RAmarl and FOmarl seems to be better in the evasive department. For some really odd reason, these two are really underrated by the vast majority (especially RAmarl) o_o

HeartBreak301
Feb 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
Base totals added for comparison's sake.

EVP goes in this order:
1. HUnewearl - 327
2. HUnewm - 297
3. FOnewearl - 278
4. RAmarl - 276
5. FOmarl - 273
6. FOnewm - 266
7. RAmar & FOmar - 264
8. HUmarl - 252
9. HUmar - 240
10. RAcaseal - 180
11. RAcast - 168
12. HUcaseal - 153
13. HUcast - 144

leviayurashyguy
Feb 12, 2010, 05:01 PM

ah i liek when ppl think outside of the box =o

yes RAmarls get higher base EVP than the other rangers but RAmars and RACAST get access to Kelper suit which with its set bonus, has higher EVP than the noble cloak which makes up for the gender gap and such

anyhoo does solo parties really matter? if it did then that means a HUnewearl does more damage than a HUCAST cuz they have Shifta

Kirukia
Feb 12, 2010, 05:13 PM
Well ET is solo only. So I think it matters.

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah... ET is basically solo runs, since the NPCs are stupid.

leviayurashyguy
Feb 12, 2010, 05:22 PM
so solo'ing on a HUCAST must suck?

Ice Sniper
Feb 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
Surprisingly im going to stand up for the Npcs in ET, they may be almost useful but sarisa slows your pp use by healing you sometimes and kai`s burns can help. The first run I made of ET was the worst! I went through without Npcs and I went through the whole thing without restocking because the sings made it sound like you were giving up! I made it up the whole thing with 1 trifluid, 1 monfluid, 5 monomates and a scape doll left. Brutal...

Oh and the must important part of the Npcs that I forget. Blade mothers.... With their lunge attack its very easy for them to constantly hit you and slow you, if they slow you they sometimes get another hit or two in before you heal, possibly killing you. They seem to choose a random target so having NPCs takes the hit off in the blade mother fights.

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 05:28 PM
so solo'ing on a HUCAST must suck?

They can survive annoying situations better than all the other classes because of their ability to take projectile hits. However, they cannot evade worth crap >.>;

@Ice_Sniper: I have nothing against the NPCs except for those stupid times when they just like to do unnecessary things. Not only that, I couldn't see an Arkzein missile because of the chat bubble -_-

Zike
Feb 12, 2010, 06:16 PM
I have a 98 ramarl 80pow mats 100 power mag and I will say tht her damage is not that bad I carry around a stock of weapons for differett situations, melee for Paru Shrine and Gurhacia ( a celeb luzparius and grand chariot with good %s and you do pretty decent damage)and several different guns for all the strages. everything came to life on her once she hit 80 not gross damage but enough to where as she can do anything solo play pretty easy and contributes quite a bit to groups. After 80 SH becomes pretty easy.. just wish she had more hit points 12 more at 100 then my fonewm.... come on=P

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
Woot! Another fellow RAmarl user! -hugs Zike-

But yeah. RAmarl's major downpoint would be her power, just like all other RA classes.

Ice Sniper
Feb 12, 2010, 07:46 PM
If you play them right as I have said before you can do pretty much just as well as the other classes. Yes the stages matter and they arent great on some of the popular stages but how would the hunters feel if everyone said they sucked just cause its hard for them to hit how on a rohjade.

I don't think I have any fellow RAmars, does that mean im the only PS0 one? :/

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 07:48 PM
If you play them right as I have said before you can do pretty much just as well as the other classes. Yes the stages matter and they arent great on some of the popular stages but how would the hunters feel if everyone said they sucked just cause its hard for them to hit how on a rohjade.

I don't think I have any fellow RAmars, does that mean im the only PS0 one? :/

No, there's a few floating around. They're just above RAmarl sightings for me ^^;

And try putting a hunter against a Rohcrysta. Those guys just... GRR!!!

Ice Sniper
Feb 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
haha, ya, if hunters were judged on some of the less popular stages like makara then people think they were weak lol. Oh well its not the case I will liv with my "weak"(lol) ranger.

ARChan
Feb 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
haha, ya, if hunters were judged on some of the less popular stages like makara then people think they were weak lol. Oh well its not the case I will liv with my "weak"(lol) ranger.

I just love visiting those places that are Ranger friendly. Haha!

Wgurgh
Feb 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
Well, this makes me feel better about starting with a RAcast, something I had decided to do months before the game came out and with no prior Phantasy Star experience. I was a little surprised when my force was outdamaging him with a 30 level gap, but he gets the job done. Finished super tower with him, and have beat every level except plant multiple times with him, so I guess he does what he needs to.
The thing I seem alone in is my preference for rifles. Nobody seems to have any love for them, but I have been using rifles since my first one dropped and I like them. A lot.

Dragwind
Feb 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
Enemy resistances (melee, range, tech) are always commonly overlooked, and a very important detail that people forget about when it comes to class balance. Usually players just make an overall assumption on what they think based on one or two missions/areas, and forget about the others.

EthanEde
Feb 13, 2010, 08:15 PM
Rangers, more than any class, live and die by their equipment. This is why I believe a ranger works best as a second character.

My RAcast is a level 36, and no one in free play ever out damages him. Of course heal has been fed a lever 5 celeb Luxion gun with thriller combo, a level 5 celeb stormer with 52%native and force ride, 3 divine powers, a compress pa, and a fully grinded 4 slot pizza box from my HUcast. As well as 3 million meseta to fuel the celeb.

Sure as I get farther into the game with him the other classes will catch up and i will be playing with people who have equipment equal to my own, but at that point you try to make your ranger an asset to the team in other ways, take out traps and auto-guns, have sol atmos on your pallet, etc