PDA

View Full Version : The Heavy Rain thread!

Sexy_Raine
Feb 12, 2010, 03:56 AM
I've been waiting for this game for nearly three years, its one of the reasons I got a PS3.

Downloading the demo, I'll give my impressions soon.

Volcompat321
Feb 12, 2010, 03:59 AM
:o
Waiting for three years...I have to download this demo!
What kind of game is it?
I'm too lazy to Google or Youtube it. lol :D

joefro
Feb 12, 2010, 04:26 AM
Stole this from IGN, "Heavy Rain is a hell of an experience. Its controversial control scheme actually works really well in allowing the fantastic story to dictate how events play out, and many of the game's scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. It starts slow and the presentation isn't perfect, but the character development, dialog and story twists will hook you like few games can. Heavy Rain is not to be missed."

I've been following this game for some time and it looks really good. I really love games that don't try and kick your ass with hard gameplay/shitty story. Playing games with simple gameplay and great story is really awesome.

I'm downloading the demo right now, also. hate this pink theme on the psn

Volcompat321
Feb 12, 2010, 04:37 AM
Stole this from IGN, "Heavy Rain is a hell of an experience. Its controversial control scheme actually works really well in allowing the fantastic story to dictate how events play out, and many of the game's scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. It starts slow and the presentation isn't perfect, but the character development, dialog and story twists will hook you like few games can. Heavy Rain is not to be missed."

I've been following this game for some time and it looks really good. I really love games that don't try and kick your ass with hard gameplay/shitty story. Playing games with simple gameplay and great story is really awesome.

I'm downloading the demo right now, also. hate this pink theme on the psn

Well, that sounds pretty awesome.
I'll get on the Ps3 now and download it before I go to sleep!
And yea...That pink shit has to go. Should be gone soon, isn't Friday Valentines day?

AC9breaker
Feb 12, 2010, 04:38 AM
Oh sweet! Demo is up. I was sold on this game once I knew the guys from Indigo Prophecy where doing it. Indigo Prophecy was a fantastic game if it weren't for the fucking ridiculous end segments. Hopefully this game won't follow the same thing.

I get a sort of Paranoia Agent vibe with game with the Origami Killer being little slugger.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 12, 2010, 04:47 AM
Indigo Prophecy was a fantastic game if it weren't for the fucking ridiculous end segments. Hopefully this game won't follow the same thing.

Yeah, my brother funky walker investigative talker turning down his paranoid woman's ideal to run off to non-snow land in the middle of the biggest supernatural case end of the world gotta do this = 100% emotional strength lost, you're an emo brother, back to your office and bounce that ball, read that fax. Drink a cup and toss it. And you never see him again. This brother couldn't save the world apparently (like most end of the world stories, you no black people, any melanin content exist on Earth Knowing by Nicholas Cage bullcrap).

I cared not for the tappa tappa tappa - fu parts on top of the buildings too.

Man when is this going to end! monotonous busywork like doing High School handouts nonstop here. I'll press half of them wrong now on purpose and still get that DBZ punch nonsense out. Its not thrilling at all how they probably thought it was an awesome envisioning of his powers blah blah manifesting, double simon says patty cake game.

Definitely like a movie that got worse and worse, yet apparently they had plenty of time to plan the game, they just never had good scheduling and rushed the latter 2/3rds.

Yellow Monsters from the INTERNET are confirmed out this time, thank the INTERNET gods who aren't that guy, and its noted as the words, crime caper/blanket statement film-noir/psychological thing this time. We'll see if its standard fare or something noteworthy, and who among reviewers are copy pasting and not giving their take on if it was done well or just hack jobs of a script.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 12, 2010, 05:01 AM
Okay I'll give my impression before I go to sleep. I've done both scenes once. It's pretty awesome.

Shelby's scene is mostly talk, with something happening at the end. I went and saved her of course, but I haven't tried leaving the scene.

Jaydin's scene is mostly about exploring, searching for clues to a murder. IDK if there are any alternate scenes.

:o
Waiting for three years...I have to download this demo!
What kind of game is it?
I'm too lazy to Google or Youtube it. lol :D

If you ever played Indigo Prophecy, then its similar. This game is heavily story based, like a movie except you can change the outcome of the story depending on your actions. It's divided into four perspectives(two in the demo), where their story is suppose to tie together. There are no common genre elements like shooting, racing. Every decision sequence is QTE. You can look up the rest. :)

And AC9, I believe QD didn't use any super-natural elements like IP had. I'm sure there won't be any odd plot-twists as David Cage said it himself.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
And AC9, I believe QD didn't use any super-natural elements like IP had. Hopefully no WTF moments like the last 25% of IP had.
Nonono, 67%

Downhill from that graveyard walk.

AC9breaker
Feb 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
Fan fucking tastic. I already knew this was going to be a buy for me, the demo only reinforced that notion. Gonna be on this day 1.

Outrider
Feb 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Definitely a game I'll have to give a try next time I have my hands on a PS3. Indigo Prophecy was really something else (I mean that in both good and bad ways), and I've been impressed with what I've seen and heard about this game so far.

Volcompat321
Feb 12, 2010, 12:38 PM
Okay, I played the demo.

First thoughts....they walk too damn slow.
It was sometimes hard to see the actions I had to do, but that may be because of my TV...(which I don't think it is..:o but it's a possibility).

The controls reminded me of Silent Hill a bit. Not too bad though, easy to get a hang of again.
I'm not sure if I want to get this game, the demo was kind of slow moving, and somewhat boring. The fighting part was the most fun.
The video at the end of playing through it was awesome though.
I can see this having a great story. :D

Chuck_Norris
Feb 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
I found the demo just awesome. My only complaint is that Jaydin's mouth movements look a little unrealistic when he talks. Like there's just a red colored picture inside his mouth. No teeth or definition. But that's a minor complaint. I'll be all over this when it's out.

joefro
Feb 24, 2010, 09:15 AM
Wow. I played this game for six hours straight yesterday, and the only reason I quit playing was because I kept falling asleep.:) I absolutely cannot wait to get home and finish beating it then I get to play it again and have a totally different experience. I've decided to have my first playthrough be my "good" playthrough. I'm letting all of my characters live(or trying to) and I'm making "nice" choices. I really can't wait to play the game "evil." This game is one of the most unique I've ever played and I think everyone should play it. Even if you don't have a PS3, you need to buy one for Heavy Rain. My GOTY might be Heavy Rain, 2010 you've got ten months to show me something better. I'm 99% sure that Heavy Rain will have the best story of the year, but some of the gameplay does piss me off a little. Mega spoilers, only if you've played through the level Butterfly Cycle:I really hated the walking on glass part, I mean I thought the idea was cool but Ethan kept flipping out on me and walking in the completely wrong direction. The lightning part wasn't much better, I was holding down all of the buttons some times and then for no reason it would just let go. The level was really crazy though, crazy awesome.
I love this game! Go buy it. Now.

amtalx
Feb 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
I only had time to play for an hour or so, but it's starting to get interesting. I can tell it's going to be good, but my god is the first hour of the game boring.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
I bought Heavy Rain on a day with heavy rain :lol:

The story is awesome, it kills Uncharted 2's by far. Can't help but fell bad for Ethan, his life is so messed up. I haven't had anyone die yet, I don't want it to happen on my first playthrough. I'll probably do most good deeds from now, next time I'll like people like the store clerk get killed by the gunman. Plus the graphics are awesome, though some camera angles could have been better. I played it 5 hours straight, with actual heavy rain outside last night.

To me it was definitely worth the long wait, I never had any doubts. I hope this paves the way for other developer to do things like this, instead of stupid military war FPSs. This is where QTEs were done good, unlike RE4/RE5. I probably won't stop until I have every ending, and platinum of course. :D

Any DLC that QD decides to throw at me, I'll end of getting it. I just can't get enough.

I'm up to where Ethan does the Origami tasks, the second one. I couldn't do the highway one

Shattered_weasel
Feb 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
but my god is the first hour of the game boring.

This is so much of an understatement but I was having fun playing with my friend watching. Kept trying to be the biggest douche in the neighborhood. Hitting my kids with swords, taking an hour to actually set the table, and when I do set the table with some plates that mother-in-law made I try to throw them against the wall.

I'm having my own kind of fun.

joefro
Feb 24, 2010, 11:51 AM
This is so much of an understatement but I was having fun playing with my friend watching. Kept trying to be the biggest douche in the neighborhood. Hitting my kids with swords, taking an hour to actually set the table, and when I do set the table with some plates that mother-in-law made I try to throw them against the wall.

I'm having my own kind of fun.

I can't wait for my second playthrough. I'm gonna beast that kid in the sword fight, I let him win the first time but it was hard to resist beating the shit out of him.:-)

I only had time to play for an hour or so, but it's starting to get interesting. I can tell it's going to be good, but my god is the first hour of the game boring.
Yeah, the beginning was a big drag but I don't think the game or your decisions would be the same without the opening. I actually had to think back to the beginning a few times and what happened and what I decided.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 24, 2010, 02:59 PM
Want to make the Origami figure on the cover? Use this video. It in-game tutorial was too confusing. It actually made it, try out it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPoHil4ZE

Oh, and the music for this game is awesome too. I'm a big fan of great video game OSTs

joefro
Feb 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
Finished it about an hour ago. It was goooood. Now, its time for some characters to die.:)

EDIT: Just got done with the second playthrough. The experience was quite different. It was almost like playing a new game, but of course playthrough one was better, if only because I didn't know who the killer was. I got the ending that I wanted on playthrough two. Round three, here I come.

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think I may be a lone dissenter, but I'm sticking with one play through and shelfing it. The technical issues are the worst I've seen this side of a Bethesda game: load times long enough for my controller to turn off, audio issues so bad I had to turn on subs just to follow the plot, QTEs appearing behind characters and off screen, etc. Even with the technical issues aside, the voice acting ranges from questionable to bad at times, the 'Sims' moments like changing a baby were pretty lame, and it certainly proved that it's not only Wii games that misuse motion controls.

The beginning was slow, but strong. It all just fizzled and burnt out toward the middle and end.

Legendwolf
Feb 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
Wow i have to try it.

Hrigg
Mar 2, 2010, 08:58 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorites from this year so far and I expect it to be up there near the end of 2010.

AC9breaker
Mar 3, 2010, 02:55 PM
So I just beat this game and I have to say, goddamn David Cage. You disappoint me again.

David Cage is the M. Night Shyamalan of videogames. He's got good ideas, and the work is usually pretty enjoyable until you get to the end. Then the grand "plot twist" is revealed which is usually disappointing and manages to fuck up the film/game.

Just like Indigo Prophecy however, it was a great ride while it lasted. Most likely Ill come back to this game when I no longer have any new games.

amtalx
Mar 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
F*cking finally. Someone else that agrees this was short of the strike zone.

AC9breaker
Mar 3, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah I was all set to love this game and I think in that regard maybe I set myself up for disappointment by having high expectations.

Negative points that stick out in my head clearly.
Shitty walking controls.
They should have gone with a Resident Evil tank control scheme or maybe even Killer7 On rails.
Game Freezing
I would have beaten this game the first day I got it if it weren't for the fact that my game was constantly freezing up on me.
Audio Cutting out
Several times the audio for the game just completely cut out. I found it really frustrating since I was thoroughly captivated by the plot and it's noir-ish tone.
QTE Display
I found a couple of the QTE to be unclear as there are some that require you to press buttons softly while other require you to hold and others just to press. The ones particularly confusing where any QTE involving the triggers, especially if they alternated between the front and back ones. It reminded me of Brain Age where they had the mini game where you had to say out loud the colors of some words on your screen and they would say the name of a different colors.

Not to say the game is bad, but so many small things built up for me to just really ruin the experience.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 6, 2010, 04:55 AM
F*cking finally. Someone else that agrees this was short of the strike zone.
You were out on an island by yourself there for a bit.

Might need to call up lil bro, with the family PS3, he was expecting this one to be real good. Wonder how it went for him. (And get him to go half on that Yakuza 3)

Jehosaphaty
Mar 29, 2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry to dig this out from Shepard's grave, but I just beat this and had to share.

The character development was pretty good, but lacking in a couple of areas. (1) I wish they would have shown the dissolution of Ethan's marriage. That was a pretty far plot jump. I mean, you put two and two together, but I thought it was a little off. (2) I thought Shelby was extremely interesting, but his development was a little weird. The internal conversations were evidently put in place to throw you off, but, I don't know, just didn't feel right. (3) The glass chute episode was the dumbest shit ever. I couldn't see a damn thing, and it was terribly annoying. (4) When it came time to make a "decision" I often didn't get/had a hard time visually seeing what my options were. I get that there was a "stress" factor at play that made making a decision difficult, but oftentimes it was more annoying than enjoyable. I whacked off Jaden because of this. Felt a little badly as he was getting crushed, but ended up laughing myself shitless when my African American roommate walked in the room and said, "Oh come on. This Mad Jack guy? That is the most stereotypical shit ever. Give me a break."

The beginning of the game was slow, but adaptive, and I enjoyed the game up until the end. Talk about an anti-climatic ending. The game, however, was impressive: the graphics were pretty, though the sound was pretty cranky. I'm glad I played it, thrilled I didn't buy it. Definitely worth the rent, but I think I ended up a little disappointed with the plot.

While I agree that it came up short, I think it's definitely worth playing.