PDA

View Full Version : PSZ: Issue connecting/joining friends. Router settings?

JDSV
Feb 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
Hey all. When I go online, there are some friends I can join or I can host and they are able to join me. But there are also many I can not join and they can not join games that I host.

I heard that some settings in the router prevent people from connecting to each other. So I am guess I'm seeking some solid router/networking advice in order to fix the problem if it is in fact in issue on my end.

Router:
Linksys Cisco WRT120N

The SPI Firewall is disabled. I have set the connection type to static IP address. I have changed that basic rate to 1-2Mbps, and changed the transmission rate to 2Mbps...the rate at which the DS reads. I have tried port forwarding but I can not seem to get it to work. When I set up port forwarding my computers lose internet connection and my DS, of course, can not connect as well.

So is there anything else I can try? Also, if you have no problems connecting with anyone please post your router (Make/Model) with settings.

Oh, and FCs are welcome! Hope to see you online!

EDIT: I have also changed my wireless channel to 11 to see if that helps.

SongsForYourMother
Feb 14, 2010, 09:52 PM
I had the same deal with my friend Andrew...
he used an R4 type thing for his games. There was some sort of issue with which way the games connected to the internet, and therefore weren't on the same "frequency" as the game cartridge did.
In essence, if you have a real copy of the game, you play with people with real copies. if you have an R4, you play with people with an R4. I only know of this game that this happens with, but a lot of people have had this issue.

JDSV
Feb 14, 2010, 10:13 PM
I have a legit copy of game granted it is the Japanese version. One friend I can not connect with also say he has a legit copy. So that leads me to believe it is some sort of router issue.

Vansuke
Feb 14, 2010, 10:19 PM
It may just be a problem on their end and not yours. I've had this happen several times.

You can get around it by just having someone else host that they can connect with, if it won't work when you host.

JDSV
Feb 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
It may just be a problem on their end and not yours. I've had this happen several times.

You can get around it by just having someone else host that they can connect with, if it won't work when you host.

That's interesting, because I know they are connecting to others. So I wonder what setting is making it work that way. Especially, if everyone has legit copies.

Vansuke
Feb 14, 2010, 10:41 PM
I wish I knew =/

I don't remember the router the guy was using that had the issues, but he changed a lot of settings around to try and make it work, and to no avail.

He had a legit copy as far as I know, and he could connect to another person that was hosting, just not when I hosted.

JDSV
Feb 15, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hmm...well hopefully I figure out what is going on. Maybe a different router could be in order.

I added your FC Vansuke, so hopefully I see you online, and am able to do a some runs with you!

johnwolf
Feb 15, 2010, 12:27 AM
its the ping thats the issue. some people send better then receaving.

JDSV
Feb 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
its the ping thats the issue. some people send better then receaving.

If that's the case, there must be a router setting that can be tweaked to allow everyone to play together. I'm starting to see this as a huge downfall, if people who buy the game can't play together.

johnwolf
Feb 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
its usally the internet provider's fult, not the router.

JDSV
Feb 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
its usally the internet provider's fult, not the router.

Is there anything I can do then? I hate my router anyway, it has been dropping the connection a lot latey.

DayDreamer
Feb 15, 2010, 02:06 PM
hi JDSV, 2 nights ago we werent the only ones with wifi probs, me and the rest of the people I was playing with could not get online cus of some errors. Everything is ok now but let me tell ya ive never had that problem with any of my other wifi games.

JDSV
Feb 15, 2010, 03:50 PM
hi JDSV, 2 nights ago we werent the only ones with wifi probs, me and the rest of the people I was playing with could not get online cus of some errors. Everything is ok now but let me tell ya ive never had that problem with any of my other wifi games.

Yeah, I admit my connection does have an off night. But there are some users like Sudeki, that I have never been able to connect with, and he can not connect with me either. Just kinda a annoying that there is no solution or fix.

AnnabellaRenee87
Feb 17, 2010, 02:25 AM
Look for a setting called UPnP and turn that on and let me know if that fixes your issue. This could be a port forwarding problem.

Should be in the same tab set as the port forward section.

If that does not work then look at the link in my signature and post a reply with the template and fill in the blanks, I will try to help out.

NOTE; The same thing has to be done on the other end, like make sure your friends router is forwarding ports correctly.

JDSV
Feb 17, 2010, 10:44 PM
Look for a setting called UPnP and turn that on and let me know if that fixes your issue. This could be a port forwarding problem.

Should be in the same tab set as the port forward section.

If that does not work then look at the link in my signature and post a reply with the template and fill in the blanks, I will try to help out.

NOTE; The same thing has to be done on the other end, like make sure your friends router is forwarding ports correctly.

Hey Thanks Neo. I will check my router settings see how it goes. If I still have the same issues I will have my friends check theirs and if nothing still, I will post on the thread that is in your sig.

Oh, silly question, but once I check to ensure that UPnP is on, should I also set up port forwarding for my DS? Or is enabling UPnP good enough?

AnnabellaRenee87
Feb 19, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hey Thanks Neo. I will check my router settings see how it goes. If I still have the same issues I will have my friends check theirs and if nothing still, I will post on the thread that is in your sig.

Oh, silly question, but once I check to ensure that UPnP is on, should I also set up port forwarding for my DS? Or is enabling UPnP good enough?

UPnP would be enough.