PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 Class Tier list

ShinMaruku
Feb 16, 2010, 11:47 PM
Most of these games do have their own min-max classes and group make up so if anybody would have an idea on the most optimal classes or rather if the classes seem close what group group set up to where classes can really work off each other with all the knock back and instakill effects and the like...

Pillan
Feb 17, 2010, 12:01 AM
There's really no reason for anyone to write one. You know highest ATP will be the best hunter, highest ATA will be the best ranger, and highest TP will be the best force. It's not anything new as we've seen it over and over again since PSU began. Braver is a mixed class, combining the stats of Acrofighter with the traps of Protranser, so you can't really claim there is a best class for it. Or, rather, it's easy to argue anything as a best class for it.

GJARE
Feb 17, 2010, 12:12 AM
Newman Braver is S tier ;x. I dont really think ATP really helps that much anymore due to the chain system ATA seems much more important to me. Might be just me but i think Braver is kinda OP ;s

Deragonite
Feb 17, 2010, 02:05 AM
Braver is overpowered. Hunter is fairly overpowered.

Ranger is useable.

Forces are underpowered.

As far as race is concerned, just pick the one which you think looks the best :p. Unless you think Newmans look the best :p.

Izuna
Feb 17, 2010, 08:08 AM
Newman Braver is S tier ;x.

BRnewm <<<<< BRmar

tested this with level 178+ characters, the difference is slim at lower levels, but damn, lvl 135 enemies can rape you even though your almost 50 levels higher as a newman.

It's a shame only the newman male can use my favourite costume, but I restarted my character, yet again, to go back to a human male.

Human female was okay, barely any change however.

Pillan
Feb 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
Newman Braver is S tier ;x. I dont really think ATP really helps that much anymore due to the chain system ATA seems much more important to me. Might be just me but i think Braver is kinda OP ;s

Human:

Braver is an all-round class with all-round stats, so the all-round race is best fit for it.

Newman:

Braver has high HP, ATP, and DFP, to counterbalance their natural lack and its other high stats (and low MST) accent Newman's.

Cast:

As the physical all-rounder, they're better off than human since no one really cares for attack techs that much. The class's high EVP also accents the natural Cast lack.

Beast:

The class accents Beast's defensive stats and counterbalances their natural lack of ATA and TP, making them the perfect race for the Braver.

...As I said above, you can argue anything is the best as Braver...

THOTH
Feb 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
Casts aren't that great of bravers... compare their bravers to their rangers: not a huge difference in ATP at all, but a GIGANTIC difference in ATA. Evasion is still pretty iffy on them even as a braver too and teching is still not really all that wise.

Beasts I agree with however beast females get special note because at max their teching skills are that of a human male, as well as second highest EVP in the game, and second highest ATP in that class. Plus that little bump in ATA can make a world of difference when using whips.

Humans are good, obviously. I think females are a bit better in this situation too as they are notably better with guns and techs then their male counterpart.

Newmans I can't make up my mind as. Their evasion probably should be emphasized in as many ways as possible (including using an ability point, perhaps?) I dunno how well they do with guns, but their teching is okay. Males have female/human/ranger style melee. Just in this topic alone people are saying uber/crappy about braver newmans. I dunno.

Izuna: Did you try using deband on your Branewm? That increases evasion also... evasion based armors over defense? Just curious.

ShinMaruku
Feb 17, 2010, 06:32 PM
So a newman braver with enough evp could be potentially dodge/block a bunch of times? Hmmm
I love when a random block comes in to save my arse so I can adapt on the fly.

GJARE
Feb 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
Whats BRmar? ;s Shouldnt enemies under 50 levels from you as BRnewm be missing most of its hits on you with the right equips?

Izuna
Feb 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
Whats BRmar? ;s Shouldnt enemies under 50 levels from you as BRnewm be missing most of its hits on you with the right equips?

Braver Male Human.

The lower level baddies I was talking about are the boosted enemies you find in Multi Mode/Online. It's just more difficult with a newman, which makes the game fun sometimes though.

Izuna: Did you try using deband on your Branewm? That increases evasion also... evasion based armors over defense? Just curious.

As a Braver I always used Shifta + Deband ^^;, Newmans just die faster, and EVP (auto blocking or w/e) is pretty much useless in this game, because you can dodge or block yourself (even helping the chain with a shield).

THOTH
Feb 17, 2010, 09:46 PM
But if you're so good at dodging and blocking, why were you dying so much? Was it from techs or what?

...Also....shouldn't you be using guns, and thus even further away then what you'd be as a BRAmar? Guns are kinda BRAnewm's strength...

Izuna
Feb 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
But if you're so good at dodging and blocking, why were you dying so much? Was it from techs or what?

...Also....shouldn't you be using guns, and thus even further away then what you'd be as a BRAmar? Guns are kinda BRAnewm's strength...

I never said I was dying 'so much'. I didn't even say I died.
Rifles being the best guns when they're needed (for dragons or w/e), it's just as cool as a BRmar.

EDIT: just a tip for BRnewms and especially HUnewms -- levelling up your force class so you have use recovery techs on a wand/mag faster makes you damn near invinceable, this should apply to other classes too =).

THOTH
Feb 18, 2010, 01:24 PM
Okay I was just confused. You're basically saying humans have more leeway and don't have to worry about dying as much, but you didn't die much with either. The thing is that BRAnewms have roughly better survival then many rangers and forces....

If I were to play a BRAnewm this is how I'd play it:

Main weapons: Cards+ wands (PP bullet for cards in order to build comobs), rifle (obv), whip and tech mag with resta and either Zalure or Jellen depending on need (when PP, HP is low), and double sabers. Maybe stick a laser on or something.

Abilities: mad bomber, 2nd shot charge (maybe or faster Resta depending on need), and probably EVP up? Dunno. The last 4 points going to increase in rares drop rate obviously. Units mostly EVP maybe a HP one.... may not even bother with mirage blast unit.

Izuna
Feb 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
Rare drop rate is interesting, while there is definately a noticeable increase in drops, when I look for something specific I usually find it in 4 - 3 runs anyway (except for stupa-rare items like the Double Cannon *shudder*)

Cards are great for building chains, but you can't block with them.
I don't know what to think about whips -- they're VERY weak, and many weapons can now freeze/burn enemies et cetera. But, coupled with EX TRAPS, they're pretty damn cool for destroying enemies like Bel Pannons (pre-patch, of course!) [though, double sabers have rediculous range in this game, and probably the second safest PA in the game =)]
^^;

THOTH
Feb 18, 2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I mean teching and blocking don't really work together.... (unless you wanna do the wand/sheild route, which is painful at best due to low combos really hurting techs) you want some distance which is what card/wand offers. Plus playing as highest evasion character, you may not even want to block that much any way.

Instead of lasers, grenades have a knockaway function that may help a BRAnewm too...

Whips are kind of the stand by "need to recover PP FAST"... although some classes could probably make really good use for them (Like beast bravers or cast hunters) outside of just PP restore.

A cool combo builder might be double saber, then switching to card/wand and unleashing devestating tech. Justa thought. Or even PA.

But yeah, I'd play a BRAmar pretty much exactly like a hunter, only with a rifle... maybe some teching (as they have the same TP as ATP as that class in the end) but eh...

As for the rare increase ability, the cost of it, and how long it takes to obtain it may make it better suited for like you say, faster resta or something.

Izuna
Feb 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
Well, Bravers don't really benefit from using attack techniques, even as a Newman.
With the exception of Diga and Grantz, building a chain for magic is actually less safer and less powerful than using a Rifle (not using Full Charge, a lower than 30 or so chain will allow you to get two charge shots!).

However, using techniques as a force is very interesting; I didn't be one as a BRnewm, but a BRmar, and it was a lot of fun. I tend to use Rifles for building chains because you can block and they're the best for Dragons.

PSP2 is really fun, and I think it would have been more balanced than PSO if it wasn't for the EX TRAPS (post-patch! even).

Tycho
Feb 18, 2010, 06:56 PM
I only really leveled two races, but as for classes (to get back to the thread title), I'm going to be PC here and say all of the classes are valuable in team play.

HU (ATP): best combo finishers, great for big mobs (I'm used to not everyone getting to combo-finish due to lag)
RA (ATA): best instant death users, for anything not immune to it
FO (TP): L21 buffs and debuffs (isn't TP also what's needed to make the latter hit?)
BR: because someone needs to be able to use the party's 4*2*4 Ex Traps.

Okay, so only the RA thing might've been less obvious. :/

For solo it really depends for me, as I really want traps for bosses, while for Magashi I prefer being HU just to play it safe.

Pillan
Feb 19, 2010, 12:28 PM
RA (ATA): best instant death users, for anything not immune to it
I'd argue against this as ATA doesn't matter for effects once you have a 100% hit rate. And I'm pretty sure you can get 100% accuracy with a rifle or twin daggers very easily as any class.

And I doubt TP affects Jellen/Zalure.

Chuck_Norris
Feb 19, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'd argue against this as ATA doesn't matter for effects once you have a 100% hit rate. And I'm pretty sure you can get 100% accuracy with a rifle or twin daggers very easily as any class.

And I doubt TP affects Jellen/Zalure.

How do you get 100% hit rate? Just high enough ATA? Any rough guesses at how much it takes?

Pillan
Feb 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
How do you get 100% hit rate? Just high enough ATA? Any rough guesses at how much it takes?
It's just ATA based and it varies with the enemy level, of course. I wouldn't be willing to throw out a guess because I've never had trouble with it. I can tell you that they changed the accuracy equation when they changed the way gun damage works so that 100% (or at least a statistically insignificant difference from 100%) is now possible.

I can tell you that if the weapon or the Photon Art has high accuracy, you probably won't miss with it (e.g., rifles and twin daggers, which conveniently are your primary instant death weapons).

ShinMaruku
Feb 19, 2010, 09:44 PM
I did enjoy what they have done with the daggers although this insta death things ensures I will use it even more..

THOTH
Feb 19, 2010, 11:46 PM
I think the point of using a braver is like...trying to incoperate as many play styles as possible. For that reason I'll stand behind some offensive tech use for BRAnewearls and newms...

DoubleJG
Feb 20, 2010, 02:02 AM
Recent poll shows that Forces make up a whopping 8% of the player base on PSPo2, with Rangers at 15%, Bravers at 2nd with some high % and Hunters as most played class.

Females are more common, but probably because of aesthetic reasons.

Seeing Forces at such a low play % makes me want to go from BR to FO...

THOTH
Feb 20, 2010, 04:31 AM
Could also be because generally females are better between the two in most situations... ATA is a major issue, as is PP in this game.

Honestly HUcaseal is probably the best class in the game...competitive hunter ATP, with decent gun use. In a game where everything can only have one resistance, having two types of damage dealers is key.

Deragonite
Feb 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
Braver is the following:

Shizuru's Twin Daggers spam. All that EVP makes you untouchable by anything except techs! Every monster except for roughly 5 monsters per mission will die to Shizuru's Twin Daggers.

EX Traps! For those pesky 5 monsters that DON'T die to instant death! Also for bosses ;)

Anything else besides deband (for the EVP) and a mop up weapon (twin saber/spear/knuckle) is inefficient.

Race doesn't really matter as braver for the following reasons:
1. SUV, Mirage Blast, and Nanoblast are all WEAKER than 1 single EX Trap, not to mention you can't move or attack for a significant duration of your blast. You are only wasting your time if you choose to use your blast gauge.
2. Cast EVP is more than enough to not get hit by 99% of non-tech attacks.
3. ATP doesn't matter since you'll be killing 95% of monsters with Shizuru's Twin Daggers, and the other 5% will die to traps whose damage is level based.
4. ATA doesn't matter since Renkai has a high ATP modifier, and that's all you'll be using besides EX traps and an occasional mop up monster.

If you want to be "ubar", play as braver, spend 2 hours to get Shizuru's Twin Daggers and an extend code, and unlock EX Traps (clear some story misisons, but you've already done this if you can get Shiz's Twin Daggers).

Tycho
Feb 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
ATA does not matter for SEs beyond just hit/miss? As a BR I insta-kill a lot faster than as HU (with Elemental Hit for both), and I'd swear I wasn't missing much even for the latter....

Deragonite
Feb 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. As long as it connects and does 1 or more damage it will have a set % of occurring (at least that's how it was in PSU).

Pillan
Feb 20, 2010, 10:12 AM
ATA does not matter for SEs beyond just hit/miss? As a BR I insta-kill a lot faster than as HU (with Elemental Hit for both), and I'd swear I wasn't missing much even for the latter....

I won't throw out the possibility that they could have changed it, but I would list it as unlikely since they don't need to give higher ATA races and classes that sort of advantage after the change gun damage. I'd really consider it luck based on your expectation (i.e., the same reason most people had no idea what their real hit rate was on PSU and thus greatly undervalued or overvalued it.)

THOTH
Feb 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
Okay wait wait wait...now someone's saying EVP is godly. If Cast EVP as a braver will cause 99% of things in the game to miss that means...

Beast and newman forces as well as rangers are also almost invincible to physical combat...which is not the case. (They have cast-braver quality evasion) Rangers get some ex traps too, and if accuracy effects instant death that makes rangers "uber" too?

Also... what boring gameplay to spam insta-death-daggers and ex traps....isn't the point of not being a hunter doing more then one thing?

Edit in question: Is this for offline or multiplayer modes? Cause that makes a big diff too.

Deragonite
Feb 20, 2010, 08:15 PM
I use GRM line shields + roughly 50 EVP in boosts/slot items on my cast braver and haven't fought anything that hits me consistently yet.

Insta-death-dagger + EX Trap spam is godly for multiplayer mode. I have solo'ed Black Rhapsody/Jet Black S or whatever it's called in 15:10 with no attempt at speed running. Repcas+Double Cannons plze!

As for offline mode, spamming Shiz's Twin Daggers is enough to kill everything with the damage. You can use whatever you want and still be effective. However, EX Traps are even MORE broken offline mode (often kill 2-3 waves of level 150+ monsters).

Yes, the point of braver is to not spam 1 thing (death) like a hunter will. It's to spam 2 things, death AND EX Traps.

kongajinken
Feb 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
Where do you get shizuru's daggers?

Chuck_Norris
Feb 20, 2010, 09:01 PM
It's a shame that only a few months after the game's release it's been boiled down to using exactly one weapon.

GJARE
Feb 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
Not really most of the parties i join not everyone uses them. Usually only parties i would see really abusing them are EX mission ones but really its possible to be faster just using your usual weapons in some missions. I do feel it should be nerfed though ;x

ShinMaruku
Feb 20, 2010, 09:22 PM
It's a shame that only a few months after the game's release it's been boiled down to using exactly one weapon.

If they actually patch and fix things it could be really fixed. This is probably why the Western version is taking a while

Chuck_Norris
Feb 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
This is probably why the Western version is taking a while

No, that's not the reason, I guarantee you that.

ShinMaruku
Feb 21, 2010, 02:03 AM
As long as Sonic Team has a lesser hold on it I am quite content.
Seems like Sega has made them merely producers now.

Pillan
Feb 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
Regardless of how the game is balanced, this (and any other) game can be simplified down to the weapon (and class) which gives the fastest kills/time, which varies by player efficiency at timing and dodging enemy attacks. There's no way to fix that besides switching to a form of game play where weapons are purely an aesthetic choice and have exactly the same stats, same combo, and same photon arts.

Chuck_Norris
Feb 21, 2010, 02:39 PM
Regardless of how the game is balanced, this (and any other) game can be simplified down to the weapon (and class) which gives the fastest kills/time, which varies by player efficiency at timing and dodging enemy attacks. There's no way to fix that besides switching to a form of game play where weapons are purely an aesthetic choice and have exactly the same stats, same combo, and same photon arts.

I never said it wouldn't. It's just rather sad it happened this quickly. At least it took a while to figure out Excalibur and S rank Needles were the best on PSOBB.

ShinMaruku
Feb 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'd rather like to see them flock to the most powerful weapon after you change it It loops them in.

THOTH
Feb 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
In regards to evasion past 500 being neigh invincible from physical attacks:

Yay I can further justify a FObeast in my own mind! Males cap at 528 evasion!

So all these people that talk about dying all the time as newman forces, if they just focused on increasing evasion with abilities and units, they'd be surviving way more huh?

Deragonite
Feb 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
A well designed game will have more balance than this. Even PSU had more balance than this by requiring different weapons and PA's for different scenarios. The formula for speed running in PSP2 has boiled down to a very simple procedure that requires no creativity. 8 EX traps for 8 major spawns or bosses and Renkai everything else.

The game is the act of mindlessly spamming renkai. If I could record to show how easy it is to solo some of the "harder" Clad 6 EX missions I would. Dodge? Guard? Chains? Who needs those?! Why are they even in the game? Braver EVP + Shizuru's Twin Daggers + Traps make the above mechanics a waste of time to perform.

When I have time I will write a guide to being "ubarz".

Pillan
Feb 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
A well designed game will have more balance than this. Even PSU had more balance than this by requiring different weapons and PA's for different scenarios.
You give PSU (and every other game) far too much credit. Even that can be boiled down to "play Fighmaster and spam Majarra" in regard to the same proposed efficiency. You're actually advocating using a weapon that's efficient in most situations for all situations, many of which you can think of several better weapons to use (e.g., with the EX traps against large mobs and bosses).

No matter what, a death weapon is going to average killing as fast or faster than any weapon of the same type with a different effect. No matter what it will be unbalanced for a range user to deal as much damage as fast as someone who sticks up close. No matter what a weapon or art that has enemy flinching properties will deal less than one that doesn't. No matter what a less accurate weapon will be balanced to hit more, hit stronger, or hit faster than a more accurate one. No matter what a single hand weapon that allows versatility will be weaker than a two hand one that doesn't.

In the end, all a rebalance will do is decrease the gap between the weapons, but you'll still see everyone stick to Shizuru's twin daggers for death, a spear with Scad, a knuckle with Rampa, a rifle for the occasional range, a rod to heal, and EX traps.

Lunar_Furor
Feb 22, 2010, 03:07 AM
Or if you're like some of us (idk who besides me) You'll use shizuru (when I get it...) when in a hurry, aggravatingly difficult area, and when I feel like it. But most of the time just using a weapon that looks kick-ass because it looks awesome. It makes the game not boring and repetitive from instakill everything and did I mention it looks cool?

Izuna
Feb 22, 2010, 04:30 AM
Except, you are given the choice to play the game however you want.

If you care about being the best, or doing things the fastest way, then of course you're going to complain in an RPG.

PSP2's system is one step closer to being like Ninja Gaiden when you want it to be. Which is why I'm on my forth character.

THOTH
Feb 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
Verily, in a game primarily geared towards hunting rares and playing with friends, one weapon and one overly easy tactic defeats the purpose.

In a game like this, you really have to decide why you're playing it, because other then an easy story mode its a pretty open ended expereince.

ShinMaruku
Feb 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
If they put PSU anything near Ninja Gaiden I'd be quite shocked and I'd love it.
Although in NGS2 one weapon does not fit for all since the big fuckers are hard to stun with some weapons.
Unless you can chain UTs then kick ass with the claws and greaves.

BahnKnakyu
Feb 23, 2010, 03:13 PM

This is only the case if you want to be a min-maxing DPS munchkin, which is what this topic is about.

As many have noted, many styles of play ARE viable, some are just more viable than others. I'm playing a ghetto ass HU as Braver and abusing EX traps (and single traps) as I'm too lazy to farm for Shizuru's daggers and get an Extend code. That and I don't find running around spamming ONE weapon to be particularly fun (PSOBB and Excalibur spam anyone?)

THOTH
Feb 25, 2010, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna make a BRAnewm that's a ranger gunner. I'll make use of that cray cray evasion and traps, but stick to crappy fun playing styles.

Izuna
Feb 25, 2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna make a BRAnewm that's a ranger gunner. I'll make use of that cray cray evasion and traps, but stick to crappy fun playing styles.

When you actually get the game I'm sure you'll change your mind =)

THOTH
Feb 26, 2010, 03:31 PM
I plan on having 3 characters (HUcaseal for easy, FObeast and BRAnewm for melee/tech and gun/tech respectfully) Both FObeast and BRAnewm have evasion that makes them, according to what everyone is saying neigh invincible to physical attacks with evasion up ability, good armor and EVP units. (and deband)

If I REALLY love the game and decide to hate myself, I may make a HUnewearl.... XD

kongajinken
Feb 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Newearl don't look nearly as cool as they use to.

ShinMaruku
Feb 26, 2010, 06:14 PM
They look good nekkid

kongajinken
Feb 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
They would look better if you could get rid of those dimples. They look terrible.

THOTH
Feb 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
There's make up to cover that up.

kongajinken
Feb 26, 2010, 07:14 PM
The make up looks pretty bad too.