PDA

View Full Version : Got... English skills?

2Xtreme
Mar 1, 2003, 05:18 PM
Before I start, please recognize that this is not a rant directed at people who have (or choose) to abbreviate everything; because they have no keyboards or for other reasons. I am just getting annoyed at people with english skills so bad that you wonder if they are even in High School yet. Here are some examples of the kind of stuff I'm ticked about:
- "me either"
- "your welcome"/"your not nice"/anything with "your" in place of "you're"
- "that's scary! -->*shutters*<--"
- Improper use of "there", "they're" and "their" (you learn this stuff in Grade 3!)

...yeah. Feel free to add to the list.

hollowtip
Mar 1, 2003, 06:25 PM
You know what they mean, it's not a big deal. I am taking a high end English course at a college and I make the same mistakes every once in awhile. Just deal with it.

Atari
Mar 1, 2003, 06:49 PM
or maybe they dont want to put in the apostraphe in you're cause it would take a nother 10 seconds to do for some of them

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Mar 1, 2003, 06:57 PM
wat

Guile
Mar 2, 2003, 01:58 AM
Or maybe they just don't give a shit..

GandorDurin
Mar 2, 2003, 03:20 AM
They're there for their own reasons.
There there for there own reasons.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Where are the wares you're scheduled to wear?
Were are the weres your scheulded to were?

Eh, I don't really mind it when other people use incorrect grammar, I can usually figure out what they're trying to say. I'm more annoyed by people with keyboards that still abbreviate 90% of their words. The first internet shortcut I ever learned was "lol." Now-a-days, practically every word or phrase can be shortened to three letters or less. Oh well, makes it real easy to tell (for the most part) who the more mature players are. I enjoy typing too much to use most shortcuts, but I suppose typing out 'laugh out loud' would be a little too much for people to handle...

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cloak
Mar 2, 2003, 03:32 PM
Just deal with it.

Right. I don't see a need to be all proper grammar'ed/punctuation'ed, etc., in a videogame. (Especially not on that ghey ASCII where normal stuff like " is moved to a different place on the keyboard.)

And as long as you understand them it should be fine. I could see if someone said "HAY mang' u g0t n E thngs to trd me????//", but mixing the there's? >_>;

Guile
Mar 2, 2003, 03:38 PM
Is there some movement going on?! I've seen like 10 of these type of threads in like the last month..it's flushin grammar!!! why would you gives to bits a shit about how people read or write?!

Ness
Mar 2, 2003, 09:17 PM
I don't care how good thier English is; as long as I can understand them I'll be okay.