PDA

View Full Version : Hello! And some questions...

DrZoidberg
Feb 23, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hello guys,
I am fairly new to Phantasy Star (I played a little bit of PS1 back on the master system, and PSO on the GameCube - but I could'nt get online and lost interest in the game).
Now I'm playing PS0 and so far I am loving it. I decided to create a FOmar because I always liked the 'battle mage type' and I have a couple of questions:

1. I reached level 7 (still struggling to beat the first boss) and I am using a pair of daggers (the animations look pretty cool :D) and a cannon. Should I switch to wand/rods and start casting some techniques (their damage it's not that great, but I assume they will get bettter later)?

2. I read a lot (but I'm still confused :-)) on this forum about FOmar builds. Is going melee viable? Which weapon should I equip? Is there a suggested build for a tech based FOmar and a melee one?

3. I tried a Free Play yesterday and didn't find anyone. Is online population really that low? Or everyone is 60+? I am in Europe so my PS0 card arrived yesterday (no shop had it, at least here in Italy), and I fear many people got tired and left this game. How's the situation?

Thanks!

zeital
Feb 23, 2010, 05:49 AM
1. slicers are good to get your chara though the 'normal' mode if ur a FO, yea if u want to be Tech spamming u would want to be Pure MST for mag and mind mats, plus other things that will help later on but start saving every fuild u get ur hands on it will help in the long run as far as i know Rods get better MST, plus shifta = better then the 10% u get on wands plus ur guy has these extra stuff anyways
FOmar: Has a 75% damage reduction from technique attacks.
20% boost to Foie, Barta, Zonde, Rafoie, Rabarta, and Razonde.
Can use up to 100 materials.

i play a FOnewearl which is my tach spammer i call her my fuild drain cuz i always fun out of PP fast and the techs do get a whole heap better anyways, she has a different set of abilities from ur FO which u cann see all the different chara types and stuff here: http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=217

2. again if u want to go slicers u will need a ton of HIT once u hit 'hard' mode, the slicers take the damage mod from MST, and mind mats add to the power of Shifta, power DOES NOT add to your power when useing a slicer
atm i'm starting to build up a pure slicer user

3. no sometimes freeplay takes FOREVER to find someone, took me 1/2 an hr once, i'm from Aus so i'm also mainly playing with the Japan people on my main card.

other than that just have a play around with things u will find what u like and don't like soon enough

oh if ur on now add my 2nd FC and i'll do some online with u FC: 3867 9695 7088 ^^ i'll need ur FC too if u want to play

oh oh welcome to PSZ XD

DrZoidberg
Feb 23, 2010, 08:36 AM
2. again if u want to go slicers u will need a ton of HIT once u hit 'hard' mode, the slicers take the damage mod from MST, and mind mats add to the power of Shifta, power DOES NOT add to your power when useing a slicer
atm i'm starting to build up a pure slicer user

Thanks for the info :-)
For a ton of hit do you mean that I should use HIT material or a mag would be enough?

3. no sometimes freeplay takes FOREVER to find someone, took me 1/2 an hr once, i'm from Aus so i'm also mainly playing with the Japan people on my main card.

other than that just have a play around with things u will find what u like and don't like soon enough

oh if ur on now add my 2nd FC and i'll do some online with u FC: 3867 9695 7088 ^^ i'll need ur FC too if u want to play

oh oh welcome to PSZ XD

As soon as I can get online I'll add you and get my FC (too bad I think it will be on saturday or on sunday :() Thank you!

Kirukia
Feb 23, 2010, 08:42 AM
He kind of already answered your first two, but I can add on to the 3rd.
It's kind of dead right now, but we are hoping the recent EU release will cause more people to play. From what I've heard some game stores aren't even carrying the game.
Free Play is good if nobody is on, but it usually takes awhile and you might end up in a lower mode if it can't find anybody. If you are looking for a party than SH is probably the best place. So yeah, I think most people on Free Play are 60+
The best thing to do IMO is to just make friends here. You'll be able to arrange parties and you can talk ingame instead of using preset chat options.

johnwolf
Feb 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
us a hit mag for hit ALWAYS you'll get a bigger boost from the mag than hit mats. and use mind mats with your FOmar so your slicer hit hard.

DrZoidberg
Feb 23, 2010, 04:40 PM
us a hit mag for hit ALWAYS you'll get a bigger boost from the mag than hit mats. and use mind mats with your FOmar so your slicer hit hard.

Ok, I'll do :-)

Anyway, my FC is 3266 6927 9947. I added you Zeital, see you online. If anyone wants to add me, just let me know :D

leviayurashyguy
Feb 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
word of advice: Ranged weapons turn "Normal" mode into "EZ" mode. equip your Force a slicer and you will be fine. altho techs do get better later, they may not fair so well on your mana pool

you don't need tons of hit to attack with a slicer, especially on normal and hard. Human Forces receive a nice bonus to ATA to hit and have Zalure which has a passive effect to lower EVP if you're having hard times connecting but as i stated, this will not be a problem early in the game. make a hit mag (100 or 99/? hit mag) for SH if you plan to continues using slicers

battle mage is viable and if not encourage for Forces. Forces have the lowest ATP/ATA of all the classes BUT Forces bring buffs/debuffs to the mix. Shifta/Zalure considerably raises damage output allowing Forces to be on par with some of the lower DPS classes. Zalure lowers EVP making it so Forces don't need as much ATA to hit on a Zalure'd target.

Forces have access to powerful gear that other classes get. FOmar/l get the strongest shield and mechguns while FOnewys get the strongest d.saber and daggers, altho FOnewys have significantly lower ATP and ATA than FOmar/ls

Not only can Forces do great damage but they also, for the most part, retain their high MST and bonus for better Resta heals outside of Force weapons.

ARChan
Feb 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
Do know that Slicer hits are considered to be physical damage. In other words, take extra care in Snowfield and Ruins by using appropriate techs.

Astropuyo
Feb 23, 2010, 07:26 PM
Listen!

Freeplay, select which maps you want. Don't just let them all be checked. This will make finding a game 10x longer. Be very precise in your selections.

Now in general a selective game can be found in under 5 minutes. For instance. Just now I went to grab some coffee and I had found a game for shrine Hmode , in under 40 seconds.

Too many of us just select Freeplay>OK.

The population is very thick. We are a global game after all.

Fomars can melee fairly well later on , early on you really should be casting your little zonde's and such. Around 36 pick up a slicer to use (as they seem to get dramatically better 36+)
This comes from a guy who has raised a Fomar to 99 then deleted to start yet again (This time working with the gear the previous Mar had found).

In the end if you are really all about melee combat with your casters you chose a great class. FoMars are like the Jedi of PS0.

Just be aware you cannot, CANNOT be a frontline fighter on H-S mode. You will always be in the back pop shotting things. So do keep that in mind.

All in all I believe a Fomar's greatest strength lies in his nuke ability and not melee. 20% boost to elem dmg and so forth.

Speetz
Feb 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
Slicers are a must, especially for bosses. Once you get used to them and have appropriate stats, you won't even need Techs to take out Octo, or the final boss. I Have a FOnewm, which doesn't even hit very well with a slicer. I carry a rod, a wand, and 2 slicers with me, and my 7* slicer gives me the best bonuses to MST still. I mostly use the slicer to finish off enemies or let my PP refill, and like i said before they are amust for some bosses.

Also, PP Recov and even more-so PP Save are very helpful. I have some left over so if you need anything, let me know! Add me, my info is in my profile. Send me a PM if you do!

zeital
Feb 24, 2010, 01:41 AM
Listen!

Freeplay, select which maps you want. Don't just let them all be checked. This will make finding a game 10x longer. Be very precise in your selections.

Now in general a selective game can be found in under 5 minutes. For instance. Just now I went to grab some coffee and I had found a game for shrine Hmode , in under 40 seconds.

Too many of us just select Freeplay>OK.

The population is very thick. We are a global game after all.

really cuz it took me longer the last time i did that 0o