PDA

View Full Version : DFP or EVP? and some other questions

K76154
Feb 25, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hi,

I have several questions:

1.Which one is more effective? DFP or EVP?

2. How do you dodge the enemy attacks? I know how to dodge, but I've read posts that says you rarely got hit if you know how to play.
However, it's sad to say my HUmar with double blade got hit a lot.
How should I not get hit and still do a lot of damage in a short time with melee weapon?
It's nearly impossible to complete a three attack combo without being hit if there are more than one enemies.

3. How to kill the octopus in hard mode? In normal I can go frenzy to attack his head in phase 2, but doing it in hard is suicide.
I can find tricks for other bosses, but for this one I really can't find any effective trick other than spam heal and frenzy attack.

Chaos Rappy
Feb 25, 2010, 03:26 AM
EVP is more effective than DFP in the long-run, but if you run a CAST of any kind, you won't be able to be sufficient in EVP enough even with maximal boosts, so they specialize in DFP only, really. Even then, unless you mean by just armors, HP is the better tanking strategy in the long run, simply because of how damage-taking in this game works (EVP, however, is still by far the best for a Newman Hunter of either gender, since the less chances of getting hit = less damage taken = less need for more HP, and since they already have pretty good EVP, they manage well with more and can EVP-tank as well as mix in some power if need-be without losing too much). : /

zeital
Feb 25, 2010, 04:33 AM
for the octo in H-SH u can attack the tenticals on the side they r easy to dodge roll they do 'die' per sei after u attack them enough so just move to the next side by the time both the arms have gone it would almost be all of it HP gome

for the enemy attacks its more about the timing of the roll adn then hitting, i find u you can dodge behind the mobs then start to attack the others have to go around the one u r hitting so by the time u kill that one u can go for the next one or roll to get behind it then repeat

Opodomus
Feb 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
Chaos hit the nail on the head, but I'd like to add a couple things.

First of all, DFP is basically one reduced damage from physical attacks per 5 points of DFP. If you get DFP really high, you will hardly take any damage from physical attacks and thus you won't flinch and you can take a huge beating. The downside is physical attacks that cause a status effect will still give you the status effect. The perfect example is those robots in Paru. When you get close, they toss a confuse grenade. My brother's cast HATES those. My HUnewearl never, ever gets hit by them. The downside of high EVP is that yes, you will not get hit a huge % of the time (well, I don't with my HUnewearl who has full swift mats, Noble cloak, and one Divine/Swift) the low % of the time you DO get hit it really hurts... high levels of the ET mean instant death for me if I expect an attack to miss and it hits.

To dodge, there is an ability, but you said you know about that already. Other than that, you just watch how each enemy attacks so you can predict when to move out of the way and when to attack. If a Helion is crouching, it is about to pounce, so MOVE! Every single enemy has different behavior, and yes, each and every enemy is possible to beat without being hit even once if you are paying close attention.

The octopus is tricky, but as mentioned hit his arms, not his head. His arms are the weakest spot (other than inside his mouth, but you almost never get to hit inside his mouth and trying to is dangerous). If you hit the arms on the tip it is low damage, but hit them about halfway between the tip and where they go in the water and you'll find a weak point. Learn when he spits his acid and dodge roll away from it. Learn what his tentacle movements mean and be ready to dodge them.

K76154
Feb 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
When there is only one enemy, I can kill him without being hit. But if there are more than one, it's much harder.
When I think I've got one under control, others from my left or right will attack.
If I really want to avoid being hit, then I can only do one hit, and dodge. That makes my damage output much lower.
However, if I do three hit combo, I will be hit by one or two enemy most of the time.

Atlantis419
Feb 25, 2010, 08:25 PM
biggest question is are you cast or not. I went with hp too, it covers both dep and evp in a sense and best is when i was leveling i could just spam his head and just avoid the crossing of his tentacles move, i only needed to avoid one, not both. and now at my level, both his tentacle cant kill 95% of the time and if i wear a shield well he cant ever kill me even when he busts me in the face with a double cross cut tentacle uppercut (thats not the actual name of the move lol). o btw i do have 30 def on my mag and i did use a few def mats. but its mostly hp and pow.

EDIT: I'm a cast

Chukie sue
Feb 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I have a LV 100 HUcast with like.... 1140 HP or something like that :D

It looks really funny next to his 340 or so PP :P