PDA

View Full Version : Buy A System for 1 Game Only? What would YOU do? (ver 2)

kantaris
Feb 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
I bought an Xbox for Fable.
I bought a 360 for Fable 2.
I bought my PS3 for MGS4.

I haven't played much else on those systems either

Zeek123
Feb 25, 2010, 08:49 PM
Whoa! Dead thread revival!

For anyone on the fence about a PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker is coming out. That is all.

Alnet
Feb 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
Bought a JPN PS2 to play Melty Blood: Act Cadenza. I had another JPN PS2 game (Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Majikarute) long before then, but I've never actually played it. I did end up getting more JPN PS2 games (Melty Blood: Actress Again, Sengoku Basara X), but on the whole, I don't play the system all that much, or at least not recently.

The thing was fairly inexpensive, though. It was about $200, shipping included, brand-new. If it cost much more, of course I wouldn't have done it.

Keilyn
Feb 25, 2010, 11:27 PM
Here is my Policy...Sorry for being unconventional:

Console Requirement:

~1 out of 3 titles must be console-dependent only. Meaning 1/3rd of titles must only exist in that console or there is no worth in buying such a console.
~Of those titles, they must be popular and high scoring. I don't buy consoles for the games that show up on all consoles + PC, but for the special games only available there.
~A console must undergo two stages of process manufacturing and die reduction before I Consider buying.
~Console Networking must work in IPv4 and IPv6
~Progressive Scanning must be made at maximum possible resolution on detected device. not changing to a lower resolution matching aspect ratio and then blowing it up.
~No component in a console will run underclocked. That is not fair to the console or the buyer.
~If a console uses AIGEA, it must have an independent processor for it and not an embedded PCI card running virtual-threads.
~If the console is a handheld, 1/3rd of its titles must be for the handheld and not ports...Also handhelds must have the capability to connect to a TV/monitor.
~The operating temperature of a console at peak load must not surpass +20C vs Room Temperature.
~Consoles must have at least five decent online multiplayer games I wish to get into to peak my interest.

I have heavier restrictions when I am building Tournament-Capable PCs for online gaming and gaming requirements. Below is a short list to be fair:

~The System must be designed and built by me.
~The System must be a dual-bootable system Linux/Windows.
~The processor itself must be QuadCore (not higher or less) and have a scaling or +33 - 50% Overclocking on Air and must be capable of -33% to - 50% underclocking possible.
~The system must rate under stress testing in the 90th industry percentile.
~Only use PCP&P high end or custom made power supplies with 83 - 88% minimum for efficiency and overvolt will be 3% or under and ripple will be between .5% - 1%.
~Nvidia/Ati solution must survive under top level stress test for a period of 12 hours.
~Memtest must run 24 hours without a single error
~All BIOS settings must be manually entered and configured when dealing with the actual bus itself. Automatic settings only come if No Choice exists,
~Motherboard must be All-Solid Caps, and have a 6 - 12 Stage Power System and NB/SB combinations are still strongest on the side of Intel. Stability and timings are highest priority vs pure speed.
~BootSystem must remain to Hard Drive Enterprise-Class Pairs. Raptors, Velociraptors....Rigi may be used under extreme conditions, but must be striped. No Rigi Mirroring.
~OS registry must be fully configurable and optimized...
~The System name must conform to its mission-specification. All Tournament Builds must undertake a Class A - Class B Name. Class Ls are accepted only under extreme circumstances and the base performance must pass the 90th percentile on its class unmodded.
~Even if power/performance exceeds the 90th percentiles..no Class-S or MSC/MSL systems can be declared as a tournament system.
~All Old Tournament Games must run on Wine/Cedega + Linux...
~All new tournament games must give me 60 - 90 FPS on lowest graphic settings and max-fill rate.
~Coarse and Glide must by under a value of .25
~All tournament games must be approved by Clanbase, GGL, Asylum or G4TV. Sorry but IGN and MMORPG.COM do not count....and don't even make me laugh with kohaku and Talia..no one has listened to them in a decade even though they keep rambling on and on :)
~All shooters must have a playability and configuration based on MS-1 and Smooth Surface must have a Coefficient of Friction between 0.1 and 0.2

This is a short list...I have them all written in wordpad somewhere. I wanted to be fair as I've been a hardcore tournament gamer in most games I play for over a decade :)

Google
Feb 26, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm buying a PSP when PSP2 is released.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 26, 2010, 03:48 AM
Saw this thread a while back, wanted to post in it, cover some things... think about remembering what I was going to say later.

Saw the $200 PSP Gran Turismo Pack gutted box @ the Gamestop yesterday, sweet deal, when I ran around not that long ago looking for a used one that wasn't mangled screen pixel dead and weird third party nubs on the analog already a weird nub, for about that. Then plunked down for the brand new instead, guess I was bad timing too, PSP getting a resurgence. Several new models since too.

PSP1000 model served me well, still does its thing for music, got a hard case, even with plastic claw of a cover screen protector a screen impediment and ingraining problem couldn't be helped. Maybe should have went that plastic phone cover strip, air bubble press em out thing style then this Logitech plastic contraption on top.

-
Heh,

DreX has since been converted to an all that and a bag of chips TvC guy!

BAROQUE!

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 05:44 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]Here is my Policy...Sorry for being unconventional:

Console Requirement:

~1 out of 3 titles must be console-dependent only. Meaning 1/3rd of titles must only exist in that console or there is no worth in buying such a console.
~Of those titles, they must be popular and high scoring. I don't buy consoles for the games that show up on all consoles + PC, but for the special games only available there.
~A console must undergo two stages of process manufacturing and die reduction before I Consider buying.
~Progressive Scanning must be made at maximum possible resolution on detected device. not changing to a lower resolution matching aspect ratio and then blowing it up.
~No component in a console will run underclocked. That is not fair to the console or the buyer.
~If a console uses AIGEA, it must have an independent processor for it and not an embedded PCI card running virtual-threads.
~If the console is a handheld, 1/3rd of its titles must be for the handheld and not ports...Also handhelds must have the capability to connect to a TV/monitor.
~The operating temperature of a console at peak load must not surpass +20C vs Room Temperature.
~Consoles must have at least five decent online multiplayer games I wish to get into to peak my interest.

I have heavier restrictions when I am building Tournament-Capable PCs for online gaming and gaming requirements. Below is a short list to be fair:

~The processor itself must be QuadCore (not higher or less) and have a scaling or +33 - 50% Overclocking on Air and must be capable of -33% to - 50% underclocking possible.
~Only use PCP&P high end or custom made power supplies with 83 - 88% minimum for efficiency and overvolt will be 3% or under and ripple will be between .5% - 1%.
~Nvidia/Ati solution must survive under top level stress test for a period of 12 hours.
~All BIOS settings must be manually entered and configured when dealing with the actual bus itself. Automatic settings only come if No Choice exists,
~Motherboard must be All-Solid Caps, and have a 6 - 12 Stage Power System and NB/SB combinations are still strongest on the side of Intel. Stability and timings are highest priority vs pure speed.
~BootSystem must remain to Hard Drive Enterprise-Class Pairs. Raptors, Velociraptors....Rigi may be used under extreme conditions, but must be striped. No Rigi Mirroring.
~The System name must conform to its mission-specification. All Tournament Builds must undertake a Class A - Class B Name. Class Ls are accepted only under extreme circumstances and the base performance must pass the 90th percentile on its class unmodded.
~Even if power/performance exceeds the 90th percentiles..no Class-S or MSC/MSL systems can be declared as a tournament system.
~All new tournament games must give me 60 - 90 FPS on lowest graphic settings and max-fill rate.
~All tournament games must be approved by Clanbase, GGL, Asylum or G4TV. Sorry but IGN and MMORPG.COM do not count....and don't even make me laugh with kohaku and Talia..no one has listened to them in a decade even though they keep rambling on and on :)
~All shooters must have a playability and configuration based on MS-1 and Smooth Surface must have a Coefficient of Friction between 0.1 and 0.2

This is a short list...I have them all written in wordpad somewhere. I wanted to be fair as I've been a hardcore tournament gamer in most games I play for over a decade :)[/SPOILER-BOX]

In other words, you don't own a Ps3, Xbox 360, or a DS/Lite/i?

Also, I was recently thinking about when I get extra money, of buying another 360 (and XBL :() just for Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I've LOVED every Splinter Cell game before this, and would love to play it.
Fortunately/unfortunately, I wont be acting on this thought, but it would be nice to do so.
I'll just be borrowing my friends 360, and most likely buying Splinter Cell.
I'll let my friend have the game when I'm done with it.

Retehi
Feb 26, 2010, 06:16 AM
Here is my Policy...Sorry for being unconventional:

Console Requirement:

This is a short list...I have them all written in wordpad somewhere. I wanted to be fair as I've been a hardcore tournament gamer in most games I play for over a decade :)

I like how this is written like a list of terrorist demands.

Keilyn
Feb 26, 2010, 09:08 AM
In other words, you don't own a Ps3, Xbox 360, or a DS/Lite/i?

Also, I was recently thinking about when I get extra money, of buying another 360 (and XBL ) just for Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I've LOVED every Splinter Cell game before this, and would love to play it.
Fortunately/unfortunately, I wont be acting on this thought, but it would be nice to do so.
I'll just be borrowing my friends 360, and most likely buying Splinter Cell.
I'll let my friend have the game when I'm done with it.

That's right. I don't own any next generation console or a DS.

I like how this is written like a list of terrorist demands.

Thank you! :) Military/Technical command-style writing. Like the warnings on a box. After being a tournament gamer for over a decade, I tend to be very picky about the multiplayer games I play. PSU is the only game I play that is not classified as a tournament game because I like that game a lot....call it my leisure-game.

Its a direct list of some things I do, but I have not lost a computer yet from following this list. :)

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 09:18 AM
That's right. I don't own any next generation console or a DS.

Thank you! :) Military/Technical command-style writing. Like the warnings on a box. After being a tournament gamer for over a decade, I tend to be very picky about the multiplayer games I play. PSU is the only game I play that is not classified as a tournament game because I like that game a lot....call it my leisure-game.

Its a direct list of some things I do, but I have not lost a computer yet from following this list. :)

Then build me a computer, and ship it to me, free of charge. :p
Thanks.

SuKKrl
Feb 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
I know this is a revived thread and all but I'm going to give my 2 cents about worth PSP games.

Prinny - Very good platformer with great music and challenge. (it did not feel like a cheap game for me - even though it has its hard parts)

Megaman Maverick Hunter X - I grew up playing megaman games so it was an easy match. :-P

Disgaea - Its a remake but it is still great at time wasting.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Great for those who like 2d fighters but beware, PSP 1000's controls are awful for fighting games.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - Looked fun for me but gets boring really fast if you're playing it alone.

There are other famous games that might be good but I haven't played them.

Outrider
Feb 26, 2010, 11:07 AM

The idea of somebody not owning a DS in this day and age is just mind-boggling.

I can't stress enough how many excellent (and important) titles you're missing out on by following that very limiting set of guidelines, but if that's what makes you happy, go for it. (Connect four.)

Y'know, just to jump on the PSP bandwagon - though there are no system sellers for me, the "games I'd like to give a try" are piling up to the point that I might pick up a PSP when Persona 3 comes out.

I loved what little Persona 4 I played, and I've heard great things about P3 (and specifically, about the PSP port.)

But that's still in the impulse buy territory instead of the "must have" territory.

Zeek123
Feb 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
There are other famous games that might be good but I haven't played them.

I may be a MGS fanboy, but it'd be neglectful not to mention MGS: Portable Ops. Absolutely a fantastic game. God of War: Chains of Olympus is another good one. There's also some niche titles that really shine on the PSP. Like N+. Of course it's also a PC game, but you know.

The idea of somebody not owning a DS in this day and age is just mind-boggling.

I can't stress enough how many excellent (and important) titles you're missing out on by following that very limiting set of guidelines, but if that's what makes you happy, go for it. (Connect four.)

I know, right? The DS really stands out as far as the volume of quality titles. 3rd party developers are really doing it right. Well, I'd like to see Capcom do more with the Phoenix Wright series, but games like Professor Layton showcase what the handheld is really capable of. Square and Hand even made Kingdom Hearts work on it. Go figure.

Shattered_weasel
Feb 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Seeing as how Keilyn made a list I thought maybe I should too.

Console Requirement:

Does it have fun games?

PC Requirment:

Can I run fun games?

Sorry for the long list.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lol...

I think my requirements are-

Can I afford this console?

Can I afford games for this console?

Will I enjoy playing games on this console?

Weeaboolits
Feb 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
One game can be enough to push me over the fence, but probably not enough to convince me in and of itself unless the price of the console is particularly appealing.

Alnet
Feb 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
PSP games
My main problem with PSP games (despite having had 3 PSPs in the course of my lifetime, and given 2 of them away, lololololol) is that none of them personally appeal to me. Well, not NONE of them, obviously, but the majority of PSP games that appeal to me are games that I might have to import; I was lucky they brought Fate/Unlimited Codes out in the US for download (despite it being a slightly-degenerated version compared to the original PS2 game), and I swear Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT Plus hasn't left my PSP since I bought it. The PSP has really gotten better with the localized games that I found playable, though. Which reminds me, I should play Jeanne D'arc sometime, seeing as I bought it like 6 weeks ago. >>

Also, I like how I can play older games that I never got a chance to play on it, as I've never owned a PS1. I am allowed to have a Jill Sandwich on the go! :wacko:

But yeah, that's my own opinion concerning PSP titles. Though it's certainly not typical of everyone, or even a small amount of the consumer base, lol.

Outrider
Feb 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
Also, I like how I can play older games that I never got a chance to play on it, as I've never owned a PS1. I am allowed to have a Jill Sandwich on the go! :wacko:

Oh crap, I forgot to mention that. The other reason I'm somewhat considering getting a PSP is having the ability to play Final Fantasy VIII anywhere I go.

That is very tempting.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 01:58 PM
Oh crap, I forgot to mention that. The other reason I'm somewhat considering getting a PSP is having the ability to play Final Fantasy VIII anywhere I go.

That is very tempting.

Don't forget the ENDLESS amount of GB/a, SNES, NES, Genesis, and whatever other old systems you want.

One of the best things about a PSP is it's homebrew, and hacked firmware.
Though if you don't hack your PSP, you wont be able to play all these things. :/

Outrider
Feb 26, 2010, 02:22 PM
Don't forget the ENDLESS amount of GB/a, SNES, NES, Genesis, and whatever other old systems you want.

One of the best things about a PSP is it's homebrew, and hacked firmware.
Though if you don't hack your PSP, you wont be able to play all these things. :/

Except for legitimate homebrew, do try and remember that the type of emulation you're discussing is illegal.

So no, I'm not planning on getting a PSP to play illegally installed roms.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Except for legitimate homebrew, do try and remember that the type of emulation you're discussing is illegal.

So no, I'm not planning on getting a PSP to play illegally installed roms.

Yea yea. :p

It's the best part of the PSP, IMO.
Not sure why Sony doesn't support this, I'd actually pay for that type of emulation.

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Not sure why Sony doesn't support this, I'd actually pay for that type of emulation.

Licensing.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
Licensing.

Well, I guess that makes sense.

Though, I really do wish it were legal, because I love playing some older games on the go.
Plus, all the could be rare games you missed out on as a kid could be downloaded.
I'd honestly pay for them, if prices weren't outrageous.

joefro
Feb 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
Well, I've never purchased a system for only one game. That just doesn't compute in my brain. However, there are a few games that I think "define" a console or justify the $300.
PS3:
Demon's Souls
Heavy Rain

Xbox:
Halo 2

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any 360 game I thought of was either timed exclusive or console exclusive/PC.

Powder Keg
Feb 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
For me, the system needs to have at least four games I'm going to play when I buy it. It also can't have an insane price.

amtalx
Feb 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm guilty of being an early adopter. I'll likely buy the next round of consoles on release day simply because I like gadgets.

Keilyn
Feb 26, 2010, 05:57 PM
When I owned Gameboy and Gamegear, I found myself playing them at home...or in an airplane....but outside of that they collected dust. The games were fun, with Lufia: The Legend Returns and Golden Sun (GBA) being my all-time favorites...but I felt it was a waste of money because portables are designed to be portable....at the cost of your attention span from the real world.

This pretty much endangered your safety and limited your time in playing them to ONLY when you are forced into waiting for someone away from your consoles or PC. If you play RPGs where you need some time to be able to play and get into safe point and the such....the waiting period is over and I can't use the handheld anymore.

Its not that they are bad...is that their practical use fails and presents a danger. Same with many other electronics out there.

Shattered_weasel
Feb 26, 2010, 05:59 PM
Its not that they are bad...is that their practical use fails and presents a danger. Same with many other electronics out there.

And life itself.

KodiaX987
Feb 26, 2010, 06:26 PM
Buy a system for one game.

Buy a 400$ game that you'll play about 50 hours.